FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lining pans with foil (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/413968-lining-pans-foil.html)

[email protected] 18-12-2011 07:58 AM

Lining pans with foil

Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks faster, or
does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-12-2011 08:14 AM

Lining pans with foil

> wrote in message
> Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
> significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks
> faster, or
> does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

I've not noticed that it makes a difference other than the clean up time.
Makes clean up a lot easier.

Ed Pawlowski 18-12-2011 12:36 PM

Lining pans with foil

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:58:28 -0500, wrote:

>Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
>significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks faster, or
>does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

Only thing I've noticed is that stuff can stick to it more than the
regular pan. With roasting pans, I put a little water in it so the
dripping don't burn and then you can make a good gravy. You have to
add water along the way.

For cleanup, I just put some detergent and water and let it soak a
while. Easy to clean afterwards.

Polly Esther[_2_] 18-12-2011 01:56 PM

Lining pans with foil

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:58:28 -0500, wrote:
>
>>Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
>>significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks
>>faster, or
>>does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

I've read something about that somewhere. It seems that it does affect
time/temp; even so much that whether you use the shiny side out or the dull
side out matters. But significant? Not so much, I think. Polly

John Kuthe[_3_] 18-12-2011 02:06 PM

Lining pans with foil

On Dec 18, 7:56*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:58:28 -0500, wrote:

> >>Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
> >>significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks
> >>faster, or
> >>does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

> * * I've read something about that somewhere. *It seems that it does affect
> time/temp; even so much that whether you use the shiny side out or the dull
> side out matters. *But significant? *Not so much, I think. *Polly

This I think. Everything affects everything else, but how much a thing
effects everything else is the question and is that effect significant
at all. Like Bryan's justification for the superiority of paper coffee
filters over metal, because the paper filters absorb some of the oils
in coffee that raise cholesterol levels in your blood. Yes they do but
how MUCH does the result lower YOUR cholesterol is the question, and
the answer is by a few INSIGNIFICANT points!

John Kuthe...

Mark Thorson 18-12-2011 09:22 PM

Lining pans with foil

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Only thing I've noticed is that stuff can stick to it more than the
> regular pan. With roasting pans, I put a little water in it so the

When my mom used to roast chicken, she'd always line
the pan with foil, and I liked the crunchy golden brown
crust that would form on it. Curl the foil toward the
back side sometimes will release pieces of crust from
the front side.

Kent[_5_] 19-12-2011 12:52 AM

Lining pans with foil

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Dec 18, 7:56 am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:58:28 -0500, wrote:

> >>Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have
> >>any
> >>significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks
> >>faster, or
> >>does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

> I've read something about that somewhere. It seems that it does affect
> time/temp; even so much that whether you use the shiny side out or the
> dull
> side out matters. But significant? Not so much, I think. Polly

This I think. Everything affects everything else, but how much a thing
effects everything else is the question and is that effect significant
at all. Like Bryan's justification for the superiority of paper coffee
filters over metal, because the paper filters absorb some of the oils
in coffee that raise cholesterol levels in your blood. Yes they do but
how MUCH does the result lower YOUR cholesterol is the question, and
the answer is by a few INSIGNIFICANT points!

John Kuthe...

Cholesterol in coffee?????

Helpful person 19-12-2011 01:23 AM

Lining pans with foil

On Dec 17, 11:58*pm, wrote:
> Does lining and baking sheet, or roasting pan with aluminum foil have any
> significant effect on the cooking? Does it reflect heat so food cooks faster, or
> does it have an effect like having the heat too high? Thanks.

Yes,

You can no longer deglaze the pan.