Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese Sauce?

How do you make a cheese sauce?
Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
store, except, you know, good.

(And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
at the pass.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ThereYouGo" > wrote in message
> How do you make a cheese sauce?
> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> store, except, you know, good.
>
> (And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
> find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
> at the pass.)

you can find good, tried, recipes on google. You can also find a bunch of
junk. You can make them all and come to your own conclusions, or you can be
wise and ask around here and duck when the inevitable pot shots come your
way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 9:13*pm, ThereYouGo > wrote:
> How do you make a cheese sauce?
> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> store, except, you know, good.
>
> (And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
> find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
> at the pass.)

This one is really good. It tastes best after it's been in the
refrigerator for a day and the flavors come together.

1 pound Kraft Deluxe American cheese (not the individually wrapped
slices)
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese
12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 medium size tomato, peeled and diced
3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced ( I use the the kind that
come in a jar as opposed to fresh, but there's no reason you can't use
fresh)
cayenne pepper to taste

Combine cheeses and evaporated milk. Cook in microwave or over low
heat until the cheese is completely melted. Be sure to stir it once
in a while to keep it from scorching. Stir in tomato and jalapenos.
Let cool. While it's cooling, give it a stir every once in a while to
keep the tomato and jalapeno evenly distributed. After it's cooled
off some taste it. If it's not hot enough add some cayenne pepper
starting with 1/8 tsp. and adding more as needed. This can be served
warm as a dip or served cold as a spread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 12/9/2011 8:13 PM, ThereYouGo wrote:
> How do you make a cheese sauce?
> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> store, except, you know, good.
>
> (And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
> find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
> at the pass.)

This is something I don't ever do, but take some Velveeta and 'nuke' it
until it's melted. Then perhaps add a can of Ro-tel - if that's that
sort of thing you like - serve with tortilla chips.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have and for a party its a good solution, easy and most like it, also you
can dice in avacado and onions to make it seem more "scratch",, Lee
"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 12/9/2011 8:13 PM, ThereYouGo wrote:
>> How do you make a cheese sauce?
>> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>> store, except, you know, good.
>>
>> (And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
>> find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
>> at the pass.)

> This is something I don't ever do, but take some Velveeta and 'nuke' it
> until it's melted. Then perhaps add a can of Ro-tel - if that's that sort
> of thing you like - serve with tortilla chips.
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:28:05 -0800, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> duck when the inevitable pot shots come your way.

What???? You're saying there are snipers here?
<snork>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?

I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
appetizer. But with real cheese.
Possible?

>How do you make a cheese sauce?
>Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>store, except, you know, good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:37:35 -0600, ThereYouGo >
wrote:

>So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
>pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?
>
>I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
>cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
>ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
>appetizer. But with real cheese.
>Possible?
>
>>How do you make a cheese sauce?
>>Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>>store, except, you know, good.

Sure it's possible. Your nik isn't familiar so I figured you were a
drive-by and wouldn't be back so I didn't respond.

Rather than looking for a dipping sauce you should google for a
cheddar cheese fondue. You'll find many. You can adjust the liquid
to get the consistency you desire. You can use beer, wine, milk, or
stock. Whatever floats your boat.

If you google "classic fondue" you'll find grated cheese is tossed
with cornstarch or flour. You can also make a roux and add liquid and
stir until smooth and add your cheese and whatever else you want.

Duplicating something that comes from a food factory is pretty hard
but making something better is pretty easy.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ThereYouGo wrote:
> So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
> pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?
>
> I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
> cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
> ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
> appetizer. But with real cheese.
> Possible?
>
>> How do you make a cheese sauce?
>> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>> store, except, you know, good.

Make a white sauce, just a little, and add shredded cheese to it a
little at a time until you get what you like. You said Mexican, so try
adding minced Serrano peppers before you start adding the cheese.

I also like a can of Rotel extra hot tomatoes plus 12 ounces of *good*
American cheese slices.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:37:35 -0600, ThereYouGo >
> wrote:
>

>>So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
>>pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?
>>
>>I like velveeta well enuf,

I don't understand the attraction.

>>but I was wanting to learn how to make a
>>cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
>>ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
>>appetizer. But with real cheese.
>>Possible?
>>

>>>How do you make a cheese sauce?
>>>Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>>>store, except, you know, good.

Welll .... and i could be mistaken .... but i believe the products you
are describing ARE made with "Velveeta" or its like. There are often
times Mexican seasonings added to this cheese sauce to term it "nacho"
sauce. Many people add their own hot sauce to the commercial versions.

Consider also the Mexicans originally made their hot chocolate drink
with chicken stock

> Sure it's possible. Your nik isn't familiar so I figured you were a
> drive-by and wouldn't be back so I didn't respond.
>
> Rather than looking for a dipping sauce you should google for a
> cheddar cheese fondue. You'll find many. You can adjust the liquid
> to get the consistency you desire. You can use beer, wine, milk, or
> stock. Whatever floats your boat.

Welsh rarebit.

> If you google "classic fondue" you'll find grated cheese is tossed
> with cornstarch or flour. You can also make a roux and add liquid and
> stir until smooth and add your cheese and whatever else you want.
>
> Duplicating something that comes from a food factory is pretty hard
> but making something better is pretty easy.
>
> Lou

I almost responded with a similar statement but ...its not like i
haven't mentioned it at length before

But i will say, a good cheat if you have enough good cheese on hand, use
a small amount of "Half & Half:

A roux is especially nice to make a cheese sauce with cause its easy to
then season it with cooked garlic

Maybe get a bit of whole leaf oregano in there
--
J (final L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 10:21*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:37:35 -0600, ThereYouGo >
> wrote:
>
> >So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
> >pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?

> >I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
> >cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
> >ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
> >appetizer. But with real cheese.
> >Possible?

> >>How do you make a cheese sauce?
> >>Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> >>store, except, you know, good.

> Sure it's possible. *Your nik isn't familiar so I figured you were a
> drive-by and wouldn't be back so I didn't respond.
>
> Rather than looking for a dipping sauce you should google for a
> cheddar cheese fondue. *You'll find many. *You can adjust the liquid
> to get the consistency you desire. *You can use beer, wine, milk, or
> stock. *Whatever floats your boat.
>
> If you google "classic fondue" you'll find grated cheese is tossed
> with cornstarch or flour. *You can also make a roux and add liquid and
> stir until smooth and add your cheese and whatever else you want.
>
> Duplicating something that comes from a food factory is pretty hard
> but making something better is pretty easy.

So far Lou's post is the only one worth paying any attention to.
Process cheese is crappy, and using evaporated milk instead of cream
or half&half is trashy. If you do the more complicated "fondue"
thing, you can use milk, but if you use half&half, you can stir it in
without much separation. If you use cream it will be very rich, but
very easy and almost foolproof. When I make cheese sauce, I use cream
and very sharp cheese. I just use store brand (Kraft equivalent)
extra sharp cheddar. Kraft-type Swiss also works well, if you like
that flavor. Harder cheeses work too, like Gruyère or Parmesan. If
you want chile flavor/heat, I'd recommend using a garlic press for the
peppers.

> Lou

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 11:12*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> So far Lou's post is the only one worth paying any attention to.

Bryan's typical black and white/all or nothing thinking.

> Process cheese is crappy, and using evaporated milk instead of cream
> or half&half is trashy.

What's trashy about evaporated milk, Bryan? I looked evaporated milk
up on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_milk

and it's just dehydrated, homogenized and sterilized milk. And I
especially like this part:

"A slightly caramelized flavor results from the high heat process, and
it is slightly darker in color than fresh milk."

In other words, it's COOKED! Which you're gonna do in many dishes
you're putting evap. milk in anyway, so...

And "crappy" process cheese is infinitely better than no cheese
AFAIAC! And since you are going to "process" the dish anyway,
processed cheese is normally good enough for most cooking
applications.

> *When I make cheese sauce, I use cream
> and very sharp cheese. *I just use store brand (Kraft equivalent)
> extra sharp cheddar. *Kraft-type Swiss also works well, if you like
> that flavor.

Kraft cheeses are bottom shelf cheeses, and if you are so concerned
with crappy and trashy foods, you should be using top shelf cheeses
ONLY! I use Kraft extra sharp cheddar too, because I consider it good
enough for me and it's price point (still less than $5/lb) is still
low enough for me to not insist on those cheddars I KNOW are better
(and more expensive!)

> Harder cheeses work too, like Gruyère or Parmesan.

And other cheeses work too! Try havarti, YUM! Very high fat, and
commensurately YUMMY!

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 8:56*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 11:12*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > So far Lou's post is the only one worth paying any attention to.

> Bryan's typical black and white/all or nothing thinking.
>
> > Process cheese is crappy, and using evaporated milk instead of cream
> > or half&half is trashy.

> What's trashy about evaporated milk, Bryan? I looked evaporated milk
> up on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_milk
>
> and it's just dehydrated, homogenized and sterilized milk. And I
> especially like this part:
>
> "A slightly caramelized flavor results from the high heat process, and
> it is slightly darker in color than fresh milk."
>
> In other words, it's COOKED! Which you're gonna do in many dishes
> you're putting evap. milk in anyway, so...

Evap milk is to milk what coffee that has sat on the hot plate is to
freshly brewed.

> And "crappy" process cheese is infinitely better than no cheese
> AFAIAC! And since you are going to "process" the dish anyway,
> processed cheese is normally good enough for most cooking
> applications.

Process cheese is appropriate for fast food cheeseburgers. We know
how you love McD's.

> > **When I make cheese sauce, I use cream
> > and very sharp cheese. *I just use store brand (Kraft equivalent)
> > extra sharp cheddar. *Kraft-type Swiss also works well, if you like
> > that flavor.

> Kraft cheeses are bottom shelf cheeses, and if you are so concerned
> with crappy and trashy foods, you should be using top shelf cheeses
> ONLY!

The only thing wrong with the Kraft type cheeses is their
predictability, and the lack of flavor complexities found in aged
cheeses..
Cheeses are exotic if they're not ones a person is used to.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 9:40*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 8:56*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> Evap milk is to milk what coffee that has sat on the hot plate is to
> freshly brewed.

Evap. milk is NOT for drinking au natural (as Sheldon might say!) but
I think it would be fine for cooking,maybe even better than 1/2 and
1/2 or 40% cream (did I just say that ;-) ) Different flavor
complexities, possibly superior.

> > Kraft cheeses are bottom shelf cheeses, and if you are so concerned
> > with crappy and trashy foods, you should be using top shelf cheeses
> > ONLY!

> The only thing wrong with the Kraft type cheeses is their
> predictability, and the lack of flavor complexities found in aged
> cheeses..

Um, yeah, exactly. Boring banal but still good enough cheese. But
hardly what one might expect to be used by someone who rails so black
and white about food excellence as you seem too.

> Cheeses are exotic if they're not ones a person is used to.

OK. That's the one thing I miss about having lived many years and
experienced and enjoyed so many diverse things. Hardly anything is
"exotic" to me anymore. Like the mango I eat every morning for
breakfast. When I first discovered mangoes they were this exotic
jungle fruit to me, and now they are just every day things. :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aldi has a wonderful havarti, if price is any part of the issue, aldi has
some of the best dairy going, stick to their real cheese though, their fake
stuff not so good, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Dec 10, 11:12 pm, Bryan > wrote:

> So far Lou's post is the only one worth paying any attention to.

Bryan's typical black and white/all or nothing thinking.

> Process cheese is crappy, and using evaporated milk instead of cream
> or half&half is trashy.

What's trashy about evaporated milk, Bryan? I looked evaporated milk
up on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_milk

and it's just dehydrated, homogenized and sterilized milk. And I
especially like this part:

"A slightly caramelized flavor results from the high heat process, and
it is slightly darker in color than fresh milk."

In other words, it's COOKED! Which you're gonna do in many dishes
you're putting evap. milk in anyway, so...

And "crappy" process cheese is infinitely better than no cheese
AFAIAC! And since you are going to "process" the dish anyway,
processed cheese is normally good enough for most cooking
applications.

> When I make cheese sauce, I use cream
> and very sharp cheese. I just use store brand (Kraft equivalent)
> extra sharp cheddar. Kraft-type Swiss also works well, if you like
> that flavor.

Kraft cheeses are bottom shelf cheeses, and if you are so concerned
with crappy and trashy foods, you should be using top shelf cheeses
ONLY! I use Kraft extra sharp cheddar too, because I consider it good
enough for me and it's price point (still less than $5/lb) is still
low enough for me to not insist on those cheddars I KNOW are better
(and more expensive!)

> Harder cheeses work too, like Gruyère or Parmesan.

And other cheeses work too! Try havarti, YUM! Very high fat, and
commensurately YUMMY!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> We know how you love McD's.

And everyone else knows how much you like Del Taco, so it's a
standoff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 10:37*pm, ThereYouGo > wrote:
> So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
> pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?
>
> I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
> cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
> ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
> appetizer. But with real cheese.
> Possible?
>

> >How do you make a cheese sauce?
> >Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> >store, except, you know, good.- Hide quoted text -

I hate to disappoint you (not really), but that stuff you get at
Mexican restaurants ,even the better ones, is made from processed
cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:52:12 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> > >How do you make a cheese sauce?
> > >Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> > >store, except, you know, good.- Hide quoted text -

> I hate to disappoint you (not really), but that stuff you get at
> Mexican restaurants ,even the better ones, is made from processed
> cheese.

I used to like the stuff you buy in cans, it's just like nacho sauce
at the fair and the movies... but that was back when I still had kids
at home and a stand alone freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 12:26*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > *We know how you love McD's.

> And everyone else knows how much you like Del Taco, so it's a
> standoff.

John actually hates McD's.

I really miss Del Taco.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 1:52*pm, " > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 10:37*pm, ThereYouGo > wrote:
>

> > So what I hear everyone saying is you can't make a good, smooth,
> > pourable cheese sauce without the processed 'cheese foods'?

> > I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
> > cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
> > ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
> > appetizer. But with real cheese.
> > Possible?

> > >How do you make a cheese sauce?
> > >Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
> > >store, except, you know, good.- Hide quoted text -

> I hate to disappoint you (not really), but that stuff you get at
> Mexican restaurants ,even the better ones, is made from processed
> cheese.

That stuff that other people get. I'd never *think* of getting that
canned cheese sauce junk. At Hacienda, a local favorite, their nachos
are made by melting shredded cheddar on the top, not slopping on
pasteurized process cheese food product spread.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:40:14 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 12:26*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > *We know how you love McD's.

> > And everyone else knows how much you like Del Taco, so it's a
> > standoff.
> >

> John actually hates McD's.

Thanks, I missed the sarcasm.

> I really miss Del Taco.
>
> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:46:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> That stuff that other people get. I'd never *think* of getting that
> canned cheese sauce junk. At Hacienda, a local favorite, their nachos
> are made by melting shredded cheddar on the top, not slopping on
> pasteurized process cheese food product spread.

I can do that at home; so I don't order nachos (or guacamole) "out"
because they're such a rip off price-wise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 11, 3:58*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:46:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> > That stuff that other people get. *I'd never *think* of getting that
> > canned cheese sauce junk. *At Hacienda, a local favorite, their nachos
> > are made by melting shredded cheddar on the top, not slopping on
> > pasteurized process cheese food product spread.

> I can do that at home; so I don't order nachos (or guacamole) "out"
> because they're such a rip off price-wise.

At Hacienda they used to have half price nachos during happy hour.
They had beans, a significant amount of beef or chicken, and lots of
melted cheddar on them. They don't have that deal anymore, but do
have $3 full orders of guac instead.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 12/9/2011 8:13 PM, ThereYouGo wrote:
>> How do you make a cheese sauce?
>> Like the 'nacho cheese', or a cheese dipping sauce, you can get at the
>> store, except, you know, good.
>>
>> (And google is *not* your friend for this. Google is not the place to
>> find good, tried, recipes. Someone always says it, so I'm heading it off
>> at the pass.)

> This is something I don't ever do, but take some Velveeta and 'nuke' it
> until it's melted. Then perhaps add a can of Ro-tel - if that's that sort
> of thing you like - serve with tortilla chips.

I have had that with sausage added. Very good and I don't normally like
sausage all that much. Biscuits and gravy being the exception!

I recreated the Espinaca Con Queso from the now defunct Chi Chi's
restaurant. Half cream cheese and half Velveeta, cut in cubes and melted
slowly. Add plenty of fresh spinach cleaned well and chopped in bite size
pieces and just enough salsa to thin it down to dipping consistency.

If you are not a spinach lover you can add canned chilies and you'll have
chili con queso.

I usually doctor this up in some way, depending on what I have in my fridge.
I like to add sliced green onions, chopped hot peppers, chopped tomatoes,
stuff like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks everyone! This later stuff is just what I was looking for

And I hadn't thot about the fondue. Not that I know how to make it, but
at least that's another area to look into.

>I like velveeta well enuf, but I was wanting to learn how to make a
>cheese sauce like the nacho cheese stuff you get at the store or a
>ballpark, or a dipping sauce like you get at a mexican restaurant as an
>appetizer. But with real cheese.

Help with cheese sauce Valentine General Cooking 22 27-11-2007 05:54 AM
Nacho cheese sauce? serene General Cooking 13 18-03-2006 07:26 AM
Cheese sauce Me General Cooking 14 07-12-2005 07:55 PM
help with cheese sauce [email protected] General Cooking 4 30-05-2005 01:11 PM
Fish with Cheese Sauce Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 15-01-2005 04:02 PM