Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Made a new Christmas Candy this year: Eggnog Truffles!

http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
batch.

Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
website:

2 lbs white chocolate
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup dark rum
1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)

First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
well.

It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
"real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
because they are candy!

I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
making Christmas Candy! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 7:03*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg
>
> Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
> I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
> batch.
> I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
> making Christmas Candy! :-)

Good to hear your new candy making endeavor was a success. They sound
very good, bravo!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 12:05*am, JeanineAlyse > wrote:

> Good to hear your new candy making endeavor was a success. *They sound
> very good, bravo!
> ...Picky

I was worried at first too! I was afraid I was gonna have to melt the
whole batch of ganache back down and add more something to make it
stiffer to be able to work it. I have another center I;ve had to learn
to work with like that, my mints, because I make them into little
patties so I've learned to cook that fondant to about 240F or 242F to
make it stiff enough, and I refrigerate that and work with it in
little pieces to get it to hold it;s shape while I dip it. But a
ganache is not cooked to temp, it's just melted and mixed.

It turned out a grand success so far. I'll have to see how they keep
now.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 7:03*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg
>
> Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
> I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
> batch.
>
> Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
> website:
>
> 2 lbs white chocolate
> 1 cup eggnog
> 1/2 cup dark rum
> 1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)
>
> First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
> the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
> it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
> to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
> well.
>
> It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
> poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
> pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
> but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
> it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
> time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
> in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
> "real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
> different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
> each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
> eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
> because they are candy!
>
> I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
> making Christmas Candy! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
chocolate since you are putting so much into this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 11:12*am, merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 6, 7:03*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> >http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

> > Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
> > I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
> > batch.

> > Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
> > website:

> > 2 lbs white chocolate
> > 1 cup eggnog
> > 1/2 cup dark rum
> > 1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)

> > First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
> > the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
> > it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
> > to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
> > well.

> > It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
> > poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
> > pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
> > but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
> > it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
> > time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
> > in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
> > "real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
> > different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
> > each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
> > eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
> > because they are candy!

> > I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
> > making Christmas Candy! :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
> is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
> weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
> chocolate since you are putting so much into this.

The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
"real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

Merry Christmas! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 1:03*pm, Bull > wrote:

> Exactly! Absolutely thoughtless recipe!
>
> BULL

Those who can: do.

Those who can't: criticize!

Put up or shut up!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 10:53*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> [...]

> too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
> real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
> got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
> eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!
>
> You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
> Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
> in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
> had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
> the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
> that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
> paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
> as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
> Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb > wrote:

> Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> them...

Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

Or do you sell them.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 11:10*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb > wrote:
>

> > Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> > more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> > that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> > them...

> Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?
>
> Or do you sell them.
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes, by hand, and usually this time of year. And I don't sell them
unless someone special orders some from me. Even tho milk chocolate is
not my favorite, I love Callebut's. I have a friend that has a
chocolate shop in the neighboring town, so I may see if he has some to
sell me, but I know he is into the organic free trade stuff. I know
tempering can be a PIA, but I think it's worth it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 2:37*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 11:10*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 8, 11:57*am, merryb > wrote:

> > > Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> > > more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> > > that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> > > them...

> > Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

> > Or do you sell them.

> > John Kuthe...

> Yes, by hand, and usually this time of year. And I don't sell them
> unless someone special orders some from me. Even tho milk chocolate is
> not my favorite, I love Callebut's. I have a friend that has a
> chocolate shop in the neighboring town, so I may see if he has some to
> sell me, but I know he is into the organic free trade stuff. I know
> tempering can be a PIA, but I think it's worth it...

How many you make? I'm roughly 1/2 way though my annual Christmas
production and here's my tally thus far:

65% dark truffles: 169
English Toffee: 360
57% dark truffles: 130
Coconut: 213
Eggnog truffles: 164

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 7:03*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg
>
> Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
> I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
> batch.
>
> Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
> website:
>
> 2 lbs white chocolate
> 1 cup eggnog
> 1/2 cup dark rum
> 1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)
>
> First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
> the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
> it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
> to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
> well.
>
> It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
> poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
> pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
> but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
> it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
> time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
> in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
> "real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
> different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
> each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
> eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
> because they are candy!
>
> I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
> making Christmas Candy! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

That sounds good. Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? Did you
melt the white chocolate before adding it?

Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 12:58*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:37*pm, merryb > wrote:

> > > Hand made? Once a year, especially and ONLY for Christmas?

> > > Or do you sell them.

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Yes, by hand, and usually this time of year. And I don't sell them
> > unless someone special orders some from me. Even tho milk chocolate is
> > not my favorite, I love Callebut's. I have a friend that has a
> > chocolate shop in the neighboring town, so I may see if he has some to
> > sell me, but I know he is into the organic free trade stuff. I know
> > tempering can be a PIA, but I think it's worth it...

> How many you make? I'm roughly 1/2 way though my annual Christmas
> production and here's my tally thus far:
>
> 65% dark truffles: 169
> English Toffee: 360
> 57% dark truffles: 130
> Coconut: 213
> Eggnog truffles: 164
>
> John Kuthe...

Not as many as you, but I do a lot of baking also. Wow- nowhere as
many as you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb > wrote:
> That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
> melt the white chocolate before adding it?
>
> Susan B.

1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.

I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
(May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
use 40% cream as the liquid.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

that sounds wonderful, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg
>
> Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
> I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
> batch.
>
> Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
> website:
>
> 2 lbs white chocolate
> 1 cup eggnog
> 1/2 cup dark rum
> 1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)
>
> First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
> the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
> it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
> to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
> well.
>
> It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
> poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
> pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
> but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
> it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
> time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
> in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
> "real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
> different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
> each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
> eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
> because they are candy!
>
> I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
> making Christmas Candy! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee
"merryb" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
> in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
> had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
> the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
> that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
> paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
> as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
> Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!
>
> Merry Christmas! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 9:08 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee"merryb" > wrote in message

That's why I cited my production records so far for 2011. But I
haven't seen merryb cite it's!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i was curious if she had acess to your production or if she had posted
something i missed, from what i have read here hyou make more candy than
just about anyone on this group.

btw, my friend who is an egg nog fanatic, was thrilled to get the recipe,
then i told her i knew where you lived, or the neighborhood anyway and i was
considering breaking and entering, she said she was in, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>> > The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
>> > "real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
>> > heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
>> > quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
>> > difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
>> > not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

>> > Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
>> > it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
>> > too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
>> > real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
>> > got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
>> > eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

>> > You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
>> > Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
>> > in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
>> > had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
>> > the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
>> > that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
>> > paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
>> > as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
>> > Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

>> > Merry Christmas! :-)

>> > John Kuthe...

>> Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
>> more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
>> that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
>> them...

> On Dec 8, 9:08 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>> what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee"merryb"
>> > wrote in message

> That's why I cited my production records so far for 2011. But I
> haven't seen merryb cite it's!!
>
> John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 10:52*pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> i was curious if she had acess to your production or if she had posted
> something i missed, from what i have read here hyou make more candy than
> just about anyone on this group.

Well, I do make a lot, but I'm not in competition with anyone. I just
like making enolugh to give everyone nice Christmas presents and have
leftovers, especially of the things I really like, like Chocolate
Covered Cherries! I ran short last year!! :-(

> btw, my friend who is an egg nog fanatic, was thrilled to get the recipe,
> then i told her i knew where you lived, or the neighborhood anyway and i was
> considering breaking and entering, she said she was in, Lee"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

Best way to get some is express a genuine interest in making them with
me and buy some ingredients and come over for a few hours and put some
sweat equity in. Had a friend's cousin do that a bunch of years ago
with the coconuts I make. She and a friend came over and we had a
coconut candy making party! :-) Great fun! Of course anyone who helps
me make *my* Christmas Candy must perform quality control! ;-) And/or
eat the defects!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 7:08*pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> what makes you so sure you have made more than him? *Lee"merryb" > wrote in message

> On Dec 7, 10:53 am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
> > > is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
> > > weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
> > > chocolate since you are putting so much into this.

> > The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
> > "real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
> > heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
> > quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
> > difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
> > not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

> > Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
> > it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
> > too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
> > real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
> > got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
> > eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

> > You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
> > Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
> > in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
> > had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
> > the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
> > that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
> > paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
> > as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
> > Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

> > Merry Christmas! :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> them...

You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:30*am, merryb > wrote:
> You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
> pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i was just concerned i had missed some posts, sister and df get all the
recipes i think i would like as i am nt good at candy at all, i would love
to get a big ass box of those choc covered cherries for my sister, they are
her favorite, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Dec 8, 10:52 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> i was curious if she had acess to your production or if she had posted
> something i missed, from what i have read here hyou make more candy than
> just about anyone on this group.

Well, I do make a lot, but I'm not in competition with anyone. I just
like making enolugh to give everyone nice Christmas presents and have
leftovers, especially of the things I really like, like Chocolate
Covered Cherries! I ran short last year!! :-(

> btw, my friend who is an egg nog fanatic, was thrilled to get the recipe,
> then i told her i knew where you lived, or the neighborhood anyway and i
> was
> considering breaking and entering, she said she was in, Lee"John Kuthe"
> > wrote in message

Best way to get some is express a genuine interest in making them with
me and buy some ingredients and come over for a few hours and put some
sweat equity in. Had a friend's cousin do that a bunch of years ago
with the coconuts I make. She and a friend came over and we had a
coconut candy making party! :-) Great fun! Of course anyone who helps
me make *my* Christmas Candy must perform quality control! ;-) And/or
eat the defects!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ok now that really has me curious, first i only asked because i thought
perhaps i had missed something you had posted, i remember lots of baking
type posts from you but not much on candy...

now for the curiosity, i know little to nothing about baking/bakeries/ or
that profession how does that relate to candy, is it a subset you learn
while in school, or an area you got into because of the job? Lee
"merryb" > wrote in message
On Dec 8, 7:08 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee"merryb"
> > wrote in message

> On Dec 7, 10:53 am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
> > > is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
> > > weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
> > > chocolate since you are putting so much into this.

> > The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
> > "real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
> > heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
> > quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
> > difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
> > not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

> > Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
> > it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
> > too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
> > real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
> > got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
> > eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

> > You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
> > Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
> > in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
> > had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
> > the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
> > that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
> > paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
> > as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
> > Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

> > Merry Christmas! :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> them...

You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

interesting, Lee
"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Dec 9, 10:30 am, merryb > wrote:
> You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
> pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:10*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> interesting, Lee"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> On Dec 9, 10:30 am, merryb > wrote:
>
> > You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
> > pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

> And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
> donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!
>
> ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
into everything!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:09*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> ok now that really has me curious, first i only asked because i thought
> perhaps i had missed something you had posted, i remember lots of baking
> type posts from you but not much on candy...
>
> now for the curiosity, i know little to nothing about baking/bakeries/ or
> that profession how does that relate to candy, is it a subset you learn
> while in school, or an area you got into because of the job? *Lee"merryb" > wrote in message

> On Dec 8, 7:08 pm, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>

> > what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee"merryb"
> > > wrote in message

> > > The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
> > > "real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
> > > heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
> > > quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
> > > difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
> > > not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

> > > Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
> > > it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
> > > too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
> > > real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
> > > got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
> > > eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

> > > You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
> > > Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
> > > in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
> > > had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
> > > the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
> > > that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
> > > paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
> > > as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
> > > Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

> > > Merry Christmas! :-)

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
> > more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
> > that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
> > them...

> You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
> pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

We learned chocolate as one of the "stations" along with breads, pies,
cakes, cookies, deco, and french pastry. Every 2 weeks, you moved to a
different station, advancing as you went. In the first hour of school,
we had special demos and used different mediums, like pastillage and
sugar work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 12:33*pm, merryb > wrote:

> > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> > And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
> > donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

> > ;-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
> I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
> into everything!

S'OK, I made enough donuts for the both of us! And then some. I did a
quick back the envelope calculation once and estimated that I made a
quarter of a million long johns each year! And long john were not our
best seller, they were just easy to count!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 2:20*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb > wrote:
>
> > That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
> > melt the white chocolate before adding it?

> > Susan B.

> 1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
> rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.
>
> I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
> Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
> to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
> brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
> (May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
> eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
> to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
> use 40% cream as the liquid.
>
> John Kuthe...

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 2:40*pm, sueb > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:20*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb > wrote:

> > > That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
> > > melt the white chocolate before adding it?

> > > Susan B.

> > 1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
> > rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.

> > I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
> > Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
> > to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
> > brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
> > (May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
> > eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
> > to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
> > use 40% cream as the liquid.

> > John Kuthe...

> Thanks!

Like I said elsewhere sueb, my ganache was still very soft. I had to
freeze it and work with it cold to get it to be workable and retain
it's shape for dipping.

Hope you can make it and improve on it! Let us know! :-) Merry
Christmas,

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 11:34*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 12:33*pm, merryb > wrote:
>

> > > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> > > And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
> > > donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

> > > ;-)

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
> > I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
> > into everything!

> S'OK, I made enough donuts for the both of us! And then some. I did a
> quick back the envelope calculation once and estimated that I made a
> quarter of a million long johns each year! And long john were not our
> best seller, they were just easy to count!
>
> John Kuthe...

What is a long john? Can't say I ever heard of those...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks, as much as i know about resto/food service in general, my expertise
is more in main line cooking and the business end, i know virtually nothing
about desserts which i see is a serious mistake... Lee