Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Made a new Christmas Candy this year: Eggnog Truffles!

On Dec 7, 10:53 am, John Kuthe wrote:

On Dec 7, 11:12 am, merryb wrote:

On Dec 6, 7:03 pm, John Kuthe wrote:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/20hmyc7.jpg

Got 164 of them out of 2 lbs of white chocolate! I was kinda surprised
I got that many, but I did. Thought I was gonna have to make another
batch.

Here's my recipe. I kinda modified a recipe I found on the MyRecipes
website:

2 lbs white chocolate
1 cup eggnog
1/2 cup dark rum
1 cup powdered sugar (at the recommendation of MyRecipies)

First, I reduced the dark rum (I used Myers) by about 1/2 to reduce
the amount of liquid I was putting in (not to remove the alcohol, but
it probably did). Then I added the eggnog and brought the mixture up
to a boil then dumped in the white chocolate and p-sugar and mixed
well.

It was more watery than I'm used to with other ganaches I make, and I
poured it onto a plastic lined baking sheet and refrigerated. Still
pretty soft so I put it in the freezer overnight. That was workable
but I had to keep it refrigerated and cut it into strips outside where
it's cold (32F and dropping!) which I them brought inside one at a
time and cut into piece size pieces, quickly form into a ball and dip
in white chocolate compound coating (**** you Bryan, YOU deal with the
"real" chocolate for enrobing when you make almost 200 pieces of 8
different kinds of Christmas Candy!!) I sprinkled a little nutmeg on
each piece immediately after dipping, and they eat just like a sip of
eggnog, with the nutmeg sprinkled on top, only sweeter which is OK
because they are candy!

I have now entered the world of white chocolate after 25 years of
making Christmas Candy! :-)

John Kuthe...

All that work and you're using compound coating? Real white chocolate
is nasty in my book, and I would think the white coating would have a
weird chemical taste...I think you'd be better off using tempered
chocolate since you are putting so much into this.

The cost difference is significant. Plus the trouble of enrobing with
"real" chocolate. I do it with my Chocolate Covered Cherries by slowly
heating the "real" chocolate so as to not break the temper. And I keep
quoting "real" chocolate because the only really significant
difference between "real" chocolate and compound coating is the fat,
not the cocoa, The cocoa is real chocolate.

Of course white chocolate contains no cocoa, which is why some say
it's not really chocolate. And I've been one of those for a long time
too. But I've come over to the "white side"! I made a ganache with
real dark chocolate and eggnog and I could not taste the eggnog! So I
got some "real" white chocolate, made a ganache with white chocolate,
eggnog and reduced rum and it's YUM!

You can bitch and moan all you want about what I enrobe my Christmas
Candy in, I don't care. Several years back there was an interruption
in my usual supply of the compound coating I'd used for years, so I
had to find a substitute. And I sampled several compound coatings, and
the Bada Bing Bada Boom line by Chocoley.com was by far the best. So
that's what I use now. If you don't like it don't eat it. You're not
paying any $$ for it because I do not sell it. It's a gift. Accept it
as is, enjoy it if you can (*many* do, me included!) or STFU about it!
Make your own damned Christmas Candy if you think you can do better!

Merry Christmas! :-)

John Kuthe...

Hey- chill out! Just offering my opinion. BTW, I'm sure I've made many
more truffles than you have, and know the work involved. I'm saying
that I would use the real thing if I'm going to all the work of making
them...

On Dec 8, 9:08 pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:
what makes you so sure you have made more than him? Lee"merryb" wrote in message

That's why I cited my production records so far for 2011. But I
haven't seen merryb cite it's!!

John Kuthe...

Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

i was curious if she had acess to your production or if she had posted
something i missed, from what i have read here hyou make more candy than
just about anyone on this group.

btw, my friend who is an egg nog fanatic, was thrilled to get the recipe,
then i told her i knew where you lived, or the neighborhood anyway and i was
considering breaking and entering, she said she was in, Lee

Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 10:52*pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:
i was curious if she had acess to your production or if she had posted
something i missed, from what i have read here hyou make more candy than
just about anyone on this group.

Well, I do make a lot, but I'm not in competition with anyone. I just
like making enolugh to give everyone nice Christmas presents and have
leftovers, especially of the things I really like, like Chocolate
Covered Cherries! I ran short last year!! :-(

btw, my friend who is an egg nog fanatic, was thrilled to get the recipe,
then i told her i knew where you lived, or the neighborhood anyway and i was
considering breaking and entering, she said she was in, Lee"John Kuthe" wrote in message

Best way to get some is express a genuine interest in making them with
me and buy some ingredients and come over for a few hours and put some
sweat equity in. Had a friend's cousin do that a bunch of years ago
with the coconuts I make. She and a friend came over and we had a
coconut candy making party! :-) Great fun! Of course anyone who helps
me make *my* Christmas Candy must perform quality control! ;-) And/or
eat the defects!!

John Kuthe...
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 11:12 am, merryb wrote:

[...]

You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:30*am, merryb wrote:
You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

i was just concerned i had missed some posts, sister and df get all the
recipes i think i would like as i am nt good at candy at all, i would love
to get a big ass box of those choc covered cherries for my sister, they are
her favorite, Lee

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ok now that really has me curious, first i only asked because i thought
perhaps i had missed something you had posted, i remember lots of baking
type posts from you but not much on candy...

now for the curiosity, i know little to nothing about baking/bakeries/ or
that profession how does that relate to candy, is it a subset you learn
while in school, or an area you got into because of the job? Lee

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 10:30 am, merryb wrote:

You may be right- he's pretty ambitious. In my former life, I was a
pastry chef/baker and you can believe I've done my share!

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
into everything!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 11:12 am, merryb wrote:

[...]

We learned chocolate as one of the "stations" along with breads, pies,
cakes, cookies, deco, and french pastry. Every 2 weeks, you moved to a
different station, advancing as you went. In the first hour of school,
we had special demos and used different mediums, like pastillage and
sugar work.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 12:33*pm, merryb wrote:

"John Kuthe" wrote in message

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
into everything!

S'OK, I made enough donuts for the both of us! And then some. I did a
quick back the envelope calculation once and estimated that I made a
quarter of a million long johns each year! And long john were not our
best seller, they were just easy to count!

John Kuthe...
Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 2:20*pm, John Kuthe wrote:
On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb wrote:

That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
melt the white chocolate before adding it?

Susan B.

1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.

I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
(May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
use 40% cream as the liquid.

John Kuthe...

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 3:29*pm, sueb wrote:

That sounds good. *Did you use 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of rum? *Did you
melt the white chocolate before adding it?

Susan B.

1/2 cup Myer's dark rum. There are probably better more flavorful dark
rums, but this is what they had at the grocery store.

I gently boiled the rum first to reduce it's liquid volume primarily.
Probably evaporated most of the alcohol too, but like I said I wanted
to reduce the liquid volume.Then I added 1 cup of eggnog and mixed and
brought that to a boil, then I added the white chocolate and p-sug.
(May leave out the p-sug next year.) And I let the heat of the boiled
eggnog/reduced rum melt the white chocolate, which was in small pieces
to start with. Just like I do for regular chocolate truffles only I
use 40% cream as the liquid.

John Kuthe...

Thanks!

Like I said elsewhere sueb, my ganache was still very soft. I had to
freeze it and work with it cold to get it to be workable and retain
it's shape for dipping.

Hope you can make it and improve on it! Let us know! :-) Merry
Christmas,

John Kuthe...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 11:34*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:33*pm, merryb wrote:

"John Kuthe" wrote in message

And I was a baker/donut maker in my previous life! Bet I made more
donuts than you! 6 nights a week for 8 years solid!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Sorry, I don't do doughnuts...I worked in a bakery that made them, but
I didn't have anything to do with them. That grease smell just sinks
into everything!

S'OK, I made enough donuts for the both of us! And then some. I did a
quick back the envelope calculation once and estimated that I made a
quarter of a million long johns each year! And long john were not our
best seller, they were just easy to count!

John Kuthe...

What is a long john? Can't say I ever heard of those...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks, as much as i know about resto/food service in general, my expertise
is more in main line cooking and the business end, i know virtually nothing
about desserts which i see is a serious mistake... Lee