Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Have Special Things You Bake/Cook For The Holiday Season?

Am sure most have traditional foods you like to prepare during the
holiday season? If so, what are some of your specialties that wouldn't
seem like the holidays without it?

Perhaps it's a baked item, or maybe a appetizer, main dish, soup, or
salad?

I prefer baking to cooking myself, and every year I made close to two
dozen different kinds of cookies. Most of them have been older treasured
recipes that our family enjoys, but I also like trying new recipes too.
Every year I made a double recipe of Spritz cookies, Scotch Shortbread,
Ginger Blossoms, Candy Cane Cookies, Gumdrop Cookies, Coconut Snowmen
Cut Out Cookies, Gingerbread men, Raspberry Almond Shortbread
Thumbprints, Swedish Heirloom (which are similar to a Russian Teacake)
and the Orange Confetti Shortbread Stars.

As far as candy goes, I make Divinity, Peanut Brittle, Almond Roca,
double batch of fudge and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge (made with apple
juice) and also Cranberry Almond Bark.

I use to make several fruitcakes, but now that it's just my hubby and I
at home, I only make one, and today I have a Peach Fruitcake in the
oven, with apricot brandy, diced canned peaches, mincemeat, raisins,
nuts, candied fruits and some spice in it. The house is smelling
heavenly! Actually I omitted the nuts, as hubby prefers I not use them.

Rosettes are always a must and probably the most popular item on the
goody plates I give out before Christmas.

No New Year's Day would be complete without Rum Cake!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i don't do any of the baking but i act as the worker drone to chop and dice
while my mother sister and aunt make all manner of things, most are old
family recipes we all love. Lee
"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Am sure most have traditional foods you like to prepare during the
> holiday season? If so, what are some of your specialties that wouldn't
> seem like the holidays without it?
>
> Perhaps it's a baked item, or maybe a appetizer, main dish, soup, or
> salad?
>
> I prefer baking to cooking myself, and every year I made close to two
> dozen different kinds of cookies. Most of them have been older treasured
> recipes that our family enjoys, but I also like trying new recipes too.
> Every year I made a double recipe of Spritz cookies, Scotch Shortbread,
> Ginger Blossoms, Candy Cane Cookies, Gumdrop Cookies, Coconut Snowmen
> Cut Out Cookies, Gingerbread men, Raspberry Almond Shortbread
> Thumbprints, Swedish Heirloom (which are similar to a Russian Teacake)
> and the Orange Confetti Shortbread Stars.
>
> As far as candy goes, I make Divinity, Peanut Brittle, Almond Roca,
> double batch of fudge and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge (made with apple
> juice) and also Cranberry Almond Bark.
>
> I use to make several fruitcakes, but now that it's just my hubby and I
> at home, I only make one, and today I have a Peach Fruitcake in the
> oven, with apricot brandy, diced canned peaches, mincemeat, raisins,
> nuts, candied fruits and some spice in it. The house is smelling
> heavenly! Actually I omitted the nuts, as hubby prefers I not use them.
>
> Rosettes are always a must and probably the most popular item on the
> goody plates I give out before Christmas.
>
> No New Year's Day would be complete without Rum Cake!
>
> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:34*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Am sure most have traditional foods you *like to prepare during the
> holiday season? If so, what are some of your specialties that wouldn't
> seem like the holidays without it?
>
> Perhaps it's a baked item, or maybe a appetizer, main dish, soup, or
> salad?
>
> I prefer baking to cooking myself, and every year I made close to two
> dozen different kinds of cookies. Most of them have been older treasured
> recipes that our family enjoys, but I also like trying new recipes too.
> Every year I made a double recipe of Spritz cookies, Scotch Shortbread,
> Ginger Blossoms, Candy Cane Cookies, Gumdrop Cookies, Coconut Snowmen
> Cut Out Cookies, Gingerbread men, Raspberry Almond Shortbread
> Thumbprints, Swedish Heirloom (which are similar to a Russian Teacake)
> and the Orange Confetti Shortbread Stars.
>
> As far as candy goes, I make Divinity, Peanut Brittle, Almond Roca,
> double batch of fudge and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge (made with apple
> juice) and also Cranberry Almond Bark.
>
> I use to make several fruitcakes, but now that it's just my hubby and I
> at home, I only make one, and today I have a Peach Fruitcake in the
> oven, with apricot brandy, diced canned peaches, mincemeat, raisins,
> nuts, candied fruits and some spice in it. The house is smelling
> heavenly! Actually I omitted the nuts, as hubby prefers I not use them.
>
> Rosettes are always a must and probably the most popular item on the
> goody plates I give out before Christmas.
>
> No New Year's Day would be complete without Rum Cake!
>
> Judy

Canadian Pork Pie and Gorton

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Special Things

Please post the Orange Confetti shortbread recipe-sounds interesting.

I have an old recipe I haven't tried for spritz cookies:

1.5 c margerine, softened

1 c. sugar

1 3oz package Jello, choice of color/flavor
1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

4 c. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

350degrees 12-15 min.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2011 2:34 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Am sure most have traditional foods you like to prepare during the
> holiday season? If so, what are some of your specialties that wouldn't
> seem like the holidays without it?
>
> Perhaps it's a baked item, or maybe a appetizer, main dish, soup, or
> salad?

It's not Chanukah without my potato latkes. DH gets them only twice a
year and this is one of the occasions.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nothing that I've established yet as far as baking/cooking.

Though, I've noticed the last few years that I miss these cookies my
mom used to always make. Maybe they're a sugar cookie, I don't know.
They're very simple, coated with red and green stained sugar
granules. My mom always made a huge pile of them every year, and even
though I'm not really into sweets like that, I always liked them. She
would always employ us kids to 'help'- mixing the dough, packing the
tube with the die on the end to squish out the shapes, etc.

To be honest, it's hard to say if I really miss the cookies
themselves, or if I really miss Mom, Dad, Sis and I all working
together on something, and having a good time doing it.

That's what Christmas is all about, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote in message
> Nothing that I've established yet as far as baking/cooking.
>
> Though, I've noticed the last few years that I miss these cookies my
> mom used to always make. Maybe they're a sugar cookie, I don't know.
> They're very simple, coated with red and green stained sugar
> granules. My mom always made a huge pile of them every year, and even
> though I'm not really into sweets like that, I always liked them. She
> would always employ us kids to 'help'- mixing the dough, packing the
> tube with the die on the end to squish out the shapes, etc.
>

> To be honest, it's hard to say if I really miss the cookies
> themselves, or if I really miss Mom, Dad, Sis and I all working
> together on something, and having a good time doing it.
>
> That's what Christmas is all about, right?

You are quite right

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phaeton wrote:

>Though, I've noticed the last few years
> that I miss these cookies my mom used
> to always make. Maybe they're a sugar
> cookie, I don't know. They're very
> simple, coated with red and green
> stained sugar granules. My mom always
> made a huge pile of them every year,
> and even though I'm not really into
> sweets like that, I always liked them.
> She would always employ us kids to
> 'help'- mixing the dough, packing the
> tube with the die on the end to squish
> out the shapes, etc.

What you described sounds like the little Spritz Cookies, which aren't
overly sweet, but so light and delicate and rich with butter. I make a
double batch of these every year, as are a favorite with friends and
family.

>To be honest, it's hard to say if I really
> miss the cookies themselves, or if I
> really miss Mom, Dad, Sis and I all
> working together on something, and
> having a good time doing it.

>That's what Christmas is all about, right?

Absolutely! From the time I was old enough to reach the table, mom and I
would bake cookies together the week before Christmas and it would take
us several days, but always looked forward to that more than any other
Christmas preparation!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

>Please post the Orange Confetti
> shortbread recipe-sounds interesting.

>I have an old recipe I haven't tried for
> spritz cookies:

<snipped>

I've not made Spitz Cookies with Jell-O in them, so that sounds
interesting. One thing I find with making that type of cookie though,
REAL butter is a must, as just isn't near the same with margarine. I use
all butter when making cookies for the holidays.

Hope you enjoy the Orange Confetti Stars recipe...I always have to make
three batches at Christmas time, as is the absolute most favorite cookie
among our family.

Confetti Shortbread Stars

2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 hard cooked egg yolks, rubbed through a sieve
1 cup butter (do NOT substitute!)
3 (scant) tbsp. orange rind (about 1 orange)
pinch salt

Blend all ingredients together in electric mixer bowl on low speed until
mixed thoroughly. Roll out on floured pastry sheet to 1/4 inch thickness
(be sure and not roll dough out too thin, as are very delicate and can
break after baking). Cut into star shapes. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at
400º until edges are golden brown. Cool well before removing to wire
racks. When thoroughly cold, frost with orange glaze.

Glaze:
Mix together 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind and
5 to 6 tsp. fresh orange juice, or enough to make glaze consistency,
adding a few drops yellow food color. Before frosting sets up, sprinkle
with multi-colored sprinkles. Makes about 1-1/2 dozen cookies per batch.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 12:34*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Am sure most have traditional foods you *like to prepare during the
> holiday season? If so, what are some of your specialties that wouldn't
> seem like the holidays without it?
>
> Perhaps it's a baked item, or maybe a appetizer, main dish, soup, or
> salad?
>
> I prefer baking to cooking myself, and every year I made close to two
> dozen different kinds of cookies. Most of them have been older treasured
> recipes that our family enjoys, but I also like trying new recipes too.
> Every year I made a double recipe of Spritz cookies, Scotch Shortbread,
> Ginger Blossoms, Candy Cane Cookies, Gumdrop Cookies, Coconut Snowmen
> Cut Out Cookies, Gingerbread men, Raspberry Almond Shortbread
> Thumbprints, Swedish Heirloom (which are similar to a Russian Teacake)
> and the Orange Confetti Shortbread Stars.
>
> As far as candy goes, I make Divinity, Peanut Brittle, Almond Roca,
> double batch of fudge and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge (made with apple
> juice) and also Cranberry Almond Bark.
>
> I use to make several fruitcakes, but now that it's just my hubby and I
> at home, I only make one, and today I have a Peach Fruitcake in the
> oven, with apricot brandy, diced canned peaches, mincemeat, raisins,
> nuts, candied fruits and some spice in it. The house is smelling
> heavenly! Actually I omitted the nuts, as hubby prefers I not use them.
>
> Rosettes are always a must and probably the most popular item on the
> goody plates I give out before Christmas.
>
> No New Year's Day would be complete without Rum Cake!
>
> Judy

When I was a kid, my mom made a braided sweet bread for her dad, who
was Finnish. It had cardamom, almonds, and candied cherries in it, and
she made it for years. I now make it, but use dried apricots instead
of the cherries as I always hated them! One of the few times a year I
seem to use cardamom, and it really makes me feel Christmasy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 5:48*pm, (z z) wrote:
> Special Things
>
> Please post the Orange Confetti shortbread recipe-sounds interesting.
>
> I have an old recipe I haven't tried for spritz cookies:
>
> 1.5 c margerine, softened
>
> 1 c. sugar
>
> 1 3oz package Jello, choice of color/flavor
> 1 egg
>
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> 4 c. flour
>
> 1 tsp. baking powder
>
> 350degrees 12-15 min.

Not sure about the jello part, but unsalted butter would be better
than margarine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:37:46 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> When I was a kid, my mom made a braided sweet bread for her dad, who
> was Finnish. It had cardamom, almonds, and candied cherries in it, and
> she made it for years. I now make it, but use dried apricots instead
> of the cherries as I always hated them! One of the few times a year I
> seem to use cardamom, and it really makes me feel Christmasy

I love plain old cardamom bread, it makes great toast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:37:46 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>
>> When I was a kid, my mom made a braided sweet bread for her dad, who
>> was Finnish. It had cardamom, almonds, and candied cherries in it, and
>> she made it for years. I now make it, but use dried apricots instead
>> of the cherries as I always hated them! One of the few times a year I
>> seem to use cardamom, and it really makes me feel Christmasy

> I love plain old cardamom bread, it makes great toast.

Oh, gee. A few years ago, a local farm stand was selling
wonderful cardamom bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), that
didn't last long. It was soooooo good.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Spritz cookie recipe w Jello

I agree about using butter-the recipe is 30yrs old and back then
everyone was gungho for margerine. I actually like to use butter and
cream cheese-I love a cookie dough with cream cheese in it-so smooth and
crumb-less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Orange confetti shortbread

Fascinating about using cooked egg yolks-I have never heard of that
before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:11:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:37:46 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> When I was a kid, my mom made a braided sweet bread for her dad, who
> >> was Finnish. It had cardamom, almonds, and candied cherries in it, and
> >> she made it for years. I now make it, but use dried apricots instead
> >> of the cherries as I always hated them! One of the few times a year I
> >> seem to use cardamom, and it really makes me feel Christmasy

> > I love plain old cardamom bread, it makes great toast.
> >

> Oh, gee. A few years ago, a local farm stand was selling
> wonderful cardamom bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), that
> didn't last long. It was soooooo good.

If you'd like to make it, I can send you my recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:11:09 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I love plain old cardamom bread, it makes great toast.
>>>

>> Oh, gee. A few years ago, a local farm stand was selling
>> wonderful cardamom bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), that
>> didn't last long. It was soooooo good.

> If you'd like to make it, I can send you my recipe.

Hmmmm. I'll exchange recipes if I can find that sweet potato one.
Funny, because THAT didn't cross my mind when I was thinking of
possibly making it for thanksgiving. Well, I also have some loose
recipes, and it could be there. I will search tomorrow.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:51:28 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> Oh, gee. A few years ago, a local farm stand was selling
> >> wonderful cardamom bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), that
> >> didn't last long. It was soooooo good.

> > If you'd like to make it, I can send you my recipe.
> >

> Hmmmm. I'll exchange recipes if I can find that sweet potato one.
> Funny, because THAT didn't cross my mind when I was thinking of
> possibly making it for thanksgiving. Well, I also have some loose
> recipes, and it could be there. I will search tomorrow.

Okay, it's a deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

>I agree about using butter-the recipe is
> 30yrs old and back then everyone was
> gungho for margerine. I actually like to
> use butter and cream cheese-I love a
> cookie dough with cream cheese in it-so
> smooth and crumb-less.

Cream cheese makes anything better....love it in cookies, cakes ( have
the best pound cake made in a sheet pan using cream cheese and has a
chocolate fudge topping on it....is to die for!) and is wonderful in all
other desserts, in fruit salads and nothing compares to a good
cheesecake! :-)

My mom used butter for most everything back when I was a kid, but when
it came to holiday baking, such as the Spritz and Scotch Shortbread, cut
out cookies, etc. she always used butter, as the flavor is superb using
the 'real' thing.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

>Fascinating about using cooked egg
> yolks-I have never heard of that before.

I hadn't either until I ran across this recipe many years ago. The egg
yolks add to the richness of the shortbread texture, along with the
amount of butter called for in them. Just take a serving spoon and using
the bottom of it, mash the eggs right through the seive, in a grinding
motion. Is easier to do if the eggs are at room temperature.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My kids request these carrots for every holiday meal. I don't use
measurements, but just add what looks/tastes right.

2 lb bag of tiny baby carrots
2 cups chicken broth
diced onion
parsley flakes
brown sugar

Sautee diced onion in butter. Add carrots. MIx brown sugar into chicken
broth and pour over carrots. Add parsley flakes. Bring to boil, then
cover and simmer until carrots are tender. Drain and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> Orange confetti shortbread
>
> Fascinating about using cooked egg yolks-I have never heard of that
> before.

You can even make mayonnaise with them
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 6:35*pm, (z z) wrote:
> Orange confetti shortbread
>
> Fascinating about using cooked egg yolks-I have never heard of that
> before.

I have a pie crust recipe that calls for the also- weird!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:39:32 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

> On Dec 5, 6:35*pm, (z z) wrote:
> > Orange confetti shortbread
> >
> > Fascinating about using cooked egg yolks-I have never heard of that
> > before.

> I have a pie crust recipe that calls for the also- weird!

It's French. Pate something... sucre, I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:51:28 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> If you'd like to make it, I can send you my recipe.
>>>

>> Hmmmm. I'll exchange recipes if I can find that sweet potato one.
>> Funny, because THAT didn't cross my mind when I was thinking of
>> possibly making it for thanksgiving. Well, I also have some loose
>> recipes, and it could be there. I will search tomorrow.

> Okay, it's a deal.

I responded elsewhere, but in case you won't see it there... I
found the recipe, but it has two layers of annotation on it. I
got sweet potatoes and will make what I think was the better
version tomorrow, assuming the weather is nasty. (I can always
eat the results for breakfast instead of my insipid muffins!)

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:48:17 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I responded elsewhere, but in case you won't see it there... I
> found the recipe, but it has two layers of annotation on it. I
> got sweet potatoes and will make what I think was the better
> version tomorrow, assuming the weather is nasty. (I can always
> eat the results for breakfast instead of my insipid muffins!)

Yes, I saw your reply elsewhere. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 1:05*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> What you described sounds like the little Spritz Cookies, which aren't
> overly sweet, but so light and delicate and rich with butter. I make a
> double batch of these every year, as are a favorite with friends and
> family.

I think you're right. They're not overly sweet, (and not overly rich,
but there is certainly a 'butteryness' to them). They're usually
small, to, about the size of a half dollar and about three times as
thick. "Spritz Cookies" into images.google.com brings up a lot of
pics that are spot on. I only said "sugar cookies" as a guess, but I
will be the first to admit that I don't know my cookies, pastries or
cakes. I've surprisingly been only mildly interested in things like
that most of my life.

I do like the 'spritz' cookies, though. Especially dipped in coffee.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 1:05 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

What you described sounds like the little Spritz Cookies, which aren't
> overly sweet, but so light and delicate and rich with butter. I make a
> double batch of these every year, as are a favorite with friends and
> family.

Judy, please will you share your recipe?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

What I Want - Holiday Season 2016 The Greatest! General Cooking 4 24-12-2016 05:54 PM
(2009-12-21) NS-RFC: 'Tis The Season For.... Holiday Treats! ChattyCathy General Cooking 48 31-12-2009 04:17 AM
Holiday special Dan Goodman General Cooking 2 06-12-2007 05:25 PM
Holiday Special Kate Tea 0 28-11-2005 03:57 PM
Holiday Season. jacquie0 Recipes 0 22-12-2004 07:49 AM