Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Rules" on ketchup and mustard

I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
fare.

But it seems that Archie Bunker would disagree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3AxguFNDI

(the scene happens in the first three minutes.)

And regarding ketchup, the late, great George Burns would agree with
Archie on that - he once told of how he shocked some waiters by
putting ketchup on chicken.

But the late Mike Royko likely wouldn't approve:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/h..._hot_dogs.html

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2011 8:30 AM, Lenona wrote:
> I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> fare.

What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-26, Lenona > wrote:

George, Archie, and YOU, for that matter, can take yer "rules" and
stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 11:26*am, Pennyaline >
wrote:
> On 11/26/2011 8:30 AM, Lenona wrote:
>
> > I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> > ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> > in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> > fare.

> What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?

It's a plant. That's a solo ingredient. Processed mustard is not, I'm
guessing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 8:58*am, Lenona > wrote:
> On Nov 26, 11:26*am, Pennyaline >
> wrote:
>
> > On 11/26/2011 8:30 AM, Lenona wrote:

> > > I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> > > ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> > > in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> > > fare.

> > What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?

> It's a plant. That's a solo ingredient. Processed mustard is not, I'm
> guessing.

Guess again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:30*am, Lenona > wrote:
> I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> fare.
>
> But it seems that Archie Bunker would disagree:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3AxguFNDI
>
> (the scene happens in the first three minutes.)
>
> And regarding ketchup, the late, great George Burns would agree with
> Archie on that - he once told of how he shocked some waiters by
> putting ketchup on chicken.
>
> But the late Mike Royko likely wouldn't approve:
>
> http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/h...s/no_ketchup_o...
>
> Lenona.

Well, these are my rules.

Ketchup:
hamburgers
hot dogs
french fries
fried fish
chicken fingers, nuggets, etc.

Mustard:
bologna
ham
bratwurst
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2011 12:17 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Nov 26, 8:58 am, > wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 11:26 am, >
>> wrote:

>>> What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?

>> It's a plant. That's a solo ingredient. Processed mustard is not, I'm
>> guessing.

> Guess again.

For myself, to make English or Chinese mustard, I stir up Coleman's
mustard powder with water until I have a paste of a suitable
consistency. By my count there are *two* components.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:53:52 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

> For myself, to make English or Chinese mustard, I stir up Coleman's
> mustard powder with water until I have a paste of a suitable
> consistency. By my count there are *two* components.

I do 3-2-1 for Chinese mustard. Three parts mustard powder, two parts
soy sauce, one-ish part water. One-ish because you can always add a bit
more to thin it out if it's too pasty. Let stand for at least an hour
before using.

--

-Jeff B.

"Freedom Through Vigilance"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dirty Harry weighs in on the ketchup/mustard debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 10:30*am, Lenona > wrote:
> I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> fare.
>
> But it seems that Archie Bunker would disagree:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3AxguFNDI
>
> (the scene happens in the first three minutes.)
>
> And regarding ketchup, the late, great George Burns would agree with
> Archie on that - he once told of how he shocked some waiters by
> putting ketchup on chicken.
>
> But the late Mike Royko likely wouldn't approve:
>
> http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/h...s/no_ketchup_o...
>
> Lenona.

I just have to have ketchup on my meatloaf, also on a burger, and
fries.
I also like it on salmon pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 12:17*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Nov 26, 8:58*am, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > > What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?

> > It's a plant. That's a solo ingredient. Processed mustard is not, I'm
> > guessing.

> Guess again.

I didn't guess this time - I checked at my supermarket. Among the
squeeze-bottle varieties, vinegar was the first ingredient. Along with
others.

I suppose you COULD call dry mustards "processed"....

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:17:05 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 8:58*am, Lenona > wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 11:26*am, Pennyaline >
> > wrote:

> > > What do you mean when you say it can be "a single ingredient"?

> > It's a plant. That's a solo ingredient. Processed mustard is not, I'm
> > guessing.

> Guess again.

Mustard is a seed, seeds come from plants. The seeds, as well as the
leaves, can be eaten. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_plant

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:04:12 -0500, Yeff > wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:53:52 -0500, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > For myself, to make English or Chinese mustard, I stir up Coleman's
> > mustard powder with water until I have a paste of a suitable
> > consistency. By my count there are *two* components.

> I do 3-2-1 for Chinese mustard. Three parts mustard powder, two parts
> soy sauce, one-ish part water. One-ish because you can always add a bit
> more to thin it out if it's too pasty. Let stand for at least an hour
> before using.

Why don't you make the mustard and let people stir in the amount of
soy that they want to cut it with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:57:12 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> I've never seen soy sauce in Chinese mustard. Is that something you
> made up or some sort of regional variation?

I saw the recipe somewhere years ago and it reminded me of being
stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan, and eating boneless fried chicken
and cheese gayozas. We were always served both the mustard and soy
sauce and we GIs always mixed the two. Suddenly all the places around
the base started giving packets of pre-mixed mustard and soy sauce.

I saw the 3-2-1 recipe years after that and it just clicked with me.

I have a vague memory of reading it on the back of a McCormick dry
mustard bottle but I also have a memory of seeing a recipe there that
only had water.

--

-Jeff B.

"Freedom Through Vigilance"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:56:06 -0500, Yeff > wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:57:12 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I've never seen soy sauce in Chinese mustard. Is that something you
>> made up or some sort of regional variation?

>I saw the recipe somewhere years ago and it reminded me of being
>stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan,

WTF do the japs know from what chinks eat? duh

>We were always served both the mustard and soy
>sauce and we GIs always mixed the two. Suddenly all the places around
>the base started giving packets of pre-mixed mustard and soy sauce.

The vast majority of GIs are afflicted with TIAD... many will steal
Chiclets from life rafts to flavor powdered milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:01:14 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>I saw the recipe somewhere years ago and it reminded me of being
>>stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan,

> WTF do the japs know from what chinks eat? duh

Best Chinese food I ever ate was in Misawa, Japan. Miyagi's. So good
that it was the main place all of the units on the base - Army, Navy,
Air Force and Marines - took their VIPs for dinner. 1984 - 1986.

'Course my palate is suspect. Even though I lived in Germany as a kid -
I'm an Army brat - the second best schnitzel I ever ate was at a
combination titty-bar/restaurant in Manila. I kept telling myself that
there was something wrong with me for enjoying the meal so much but then
I'd look into the other room and, well, boobies! I'd lose my train of
thought and the cycle would repeat.

--

-Jeff B.

"Freedom Through Vigilance"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lenona > wrote:

> I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
> ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
> in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
> fare.
>
> But it seems that Archie Bunker would disagree:

There are few foods not improved by some Heinz Ketchup. That includes
hot dogs, pretzels, steak, turkey, most potato dishes, and chicken. The
best thing to do with a bottle of mustard is to give it to someone you
don't like or throw it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Lenona > wrote:
>
>> I'd always had the impression that, since mustard can be a single
>> ingredient, it's more "elegant" than ketchup, and therefore mustard -
>> in any form - can be used more often on any food that isn't Mickey D's
>> fare.
>>
>> But it seems that Archie Bunker would disagree:

> There are few foods not improved by some Heinz Ketchup. That includes
> hot dogs, pretzels, steak, turkey, most potato dishes, and chicken. The
> best thing to do with a bottle of mustard is to give it to someone you
> don't like or throw it out.

I always use mustard on Mickey D's French fries along with ketchup, I keep
switching. While at another diner, we tried something like mixing mustard
with sour cream, yum.

I hope all have tried no salt Heinz ketchup. It tastes much better to me.
More tomato flavor, and don't use salted ketchup on salted fries. I also
use no salt, saltine crackers on Chinese food.

I ate ketchup on a dog once and threw up.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> There are few foods not improved by some Heinz Ketchup.

Commercial ketchups are heavily sugared. It's why toddlers like to eat
ketchup by itself or with food. So any food that's better with sugar is
better with ketchup. And any food that's better with tomatoes, vinegar
and the other ingredients goes well with ketchup.

> That includes hot dogs

Hot dogs may be the lowest flavor meat food available. As such they
need added flavor. Given the fact that people like red sauce and
meatballs, red sauce and meat on pizzas, ketchup on plenty of
sandwiches, it's clear that ketchup should help hot dogs. Folkswho
don't like ketchup on hot dogs also clearly don't like sauce on their
pizzas and so on down the list.

> pretzels

I don't recall trying ketchup on pretzels.

> steak, turkey, most potato dishes, and chicken. The
> best thing to do with a bottle of mustard is to give it to someone you
> don't like or throw it out.

If you don't like mustard that is. Plenty of people like mustard. The
same principle of why ketchup works well on hot dogs works for mustard
just with a lot fewer examples of what you'd need to also dislike if you
disliked mustard on hot dogs. Mustard is fine on hot dogs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > There are few foods not improved by some Heinz Ketchup.

[snipped all of Doug's fine comments about the virtues of mustard]

Lots of people make fun of Stan's love of Ketchup on all things. We
can't blame him for wanting to tweak us a little bit once in a while.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I was thinking that ketchup these days is pretty insipid
> stuff. I remember it tasting better when I was a kid. It was thicker and
> richer tasting.

Over the years it appears the recipes have been evolved to include more
and more sugar.

> So I was wondering if there is some quality ketchup available.

The lower carb type that used to be available during the low carb fad
was betterto my tastes. Not as sweet.

> It might even be worth making some.

Any report I've ever read says folks think homemade is better than any
store bought.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>I was thinking that ketchup these days is pretty insipid
>stuff. I remember it tasting better when I was a kid. It was thicker and
>richer tasting. So I was wondering if there is some quality ketchup
>available. It might even be worth making some.

I like Trader Joe's organic ketchup. It's a little one dimensional --
the dominant seasoning is allspice, although not to excess.

Jefferey Steingarten had a good essay on what a wonderful condiment
ketchup is, which he attributes to the simple combination of
sugar, vinegar and salt, with tomato for thickening mostly.
I don't think a ketchup ever screams tomato flavor the way a fresh
tomato or some tomato sauces will.

Steve