Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default One way to make sure the turkey stays moist and delicious!

http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
gravy though!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2011 11:15 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg
>
> Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> gravy though!

Well, the outside of it will be moist, anyway. I don't know about how
the meat will turn out.

<Looks like the ghost of Julia Child was here, bundling up her roaster
for the spit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwptf4ds5k >

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 24, 10:15*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg
>
> Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> gravy though!
>
> John Kuthe...

I hope the bacon doesn't overtake and mask the taste of the turkey.
Still, loving bacon as I do, that looks
pretty tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Nov 24, 10:15 am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg
>
> Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> gravy though!
>
> John Kuthe...

I hope the bacon doesn't overtake and mask the taste of the turkey.
Still, loving bacon as I do, that looks
pretty tasty.

That's what I thought. Better to just use fat back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 12:15*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg
>
> Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> gravy though!
>
> John Kuthe...

How silly and completely unnecessary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 1:53*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 12:15*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> >http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

> > Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> > gravy though!

> > John Kuthe...

> How silly and completely unnecessary.

Oh, I'm not making it! I just found a pic on the Internet of it.

Interesting idea though! As ImStillMags says above, I love bacon too!
And can you imagine the delicious bacony flavor it would lend to not
only the turkey but the gravy too? MmmmmmmmMMMMM!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 8:48Â*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 10:15Â*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> >http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

> > Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> > gravy though!

> > John Kuthe...

> I hope the bacon doesn't overtake and mask the taste of the turkey.
> Still, loving bacon as I do, that looks
> pretty tasty.

The turkey does get a bacon taste. In this case, it will be pretty
strong. As an added bonus, you can use the bacon cap as a lampshade. I
recommend that you give it a dip in Varithane to discourage critters
and vermin. 💀
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 9:53*am, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 12:15*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> >http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

> > Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> > gravy though!

> > John Kuthe...

> How silly and completely unnecessary.

Not if you're a totally insane bacon guy! OTOH, the only way to insure
a non-dried out turkey is to not over cook your bird. If you don't
know how to do this, you'll just have to get a thermometer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 2:11Â*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 8:48Â*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 24, 10:15Â*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > >http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

> > > Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> > > gravy though!

> > > John Kuthe...

> > I hope the bacon doesn't overtake and mask the taste of the turkey.
> > Still, loving bacon as I do, that looks
> > pretty tasty.

> The turkey does get a bacon taste. In this case, it will be pretty
> strong. As an added bonus, you can use the bacon cap as a lampshade. I
> recommend that you give it a dip in Varithane to discourage critters
> and vermin. 💀

Maybe that's what gave them the idea for turkey bacon! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 10:06*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 1:53*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 24, 12:15*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > >http://i.imgur.com/ELew9.jpg

> > > Gonna have an awful lot of fat to skim off the pan drippings to make
> > > gravy though!

> > > John Kuthe...

> > How silly and completely unnecessary.

> Oh, I'm not making it! I just found a pic on the Internet of it.
>
> Interesting idea though! As ImStillMags says above, I love bacon too!
> And can you imagine the delicious bacony flavor it would lend to not
> only the turkey but the gravy too? MmmmmmmmMMMMM!! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

I have made a coat of many bacon before. The idea seemed like a good
one but the taste was too strange. Guess I'm not a totally insane
bacon guy. I used less than a pound of bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 2:26*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On Nov 24, 10:06*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > How silly and completely unnecessary.

> > Oh, I'm not making it! I just found a pic on the Internet of it.

> > Interesting idea though! As ImStillMags says above, I love bacon too!
> > And can you imagine the delicious bacony flavor it would lend to not
> > only the turkey but the gravy too? MmmmmmmmMMMMM!! :-)

> > John Kuthe...

> I have made a coat of many bacon before. The idea seemed like a good
> one but the taste was too strange. Guess I'm not a totally insane
> bacon guy. I used less than a pound of bacon.

Experience speaks! Yes I can imagine. One lesson I try to remember in
cooking "less is more". I really have a tendency to over do things!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:23:26 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Nov 24, 2:26*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

>> > Oh, I'm not making it! I just found a pic on the Internet of it.

>> > Interesting idea though! As ImStillMags says above, I love bacon too!
>> > And can you imagine the delicious bacony flavor it would lend to not
>> > only the turkey but the gravy too? MmmmmmmmMMMMM!! :-)

>> > John Kuthe...

>> I have made a coat of many bacon before. The idea seemed like a good
>> one but the taste was too strange. Guess I'm not a totally insane
>> bacon guy. I used less than a pound of bacon.

>Experience speaks! Yes I can imagine. One lesson I try to remember in
>cooking "less is more". I really have a tendency to over do things!
>
>John Kuthe...

Bacon turkey wins the 2011 TIAD award.
The mere thought of such an abomination makes me wanna gack.

THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:
http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:49:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
snip
>THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:
>http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

That's a really good looking bird.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 6:49*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Bacon turkey wins the 2011 TIAD award.
> The mere thought of such an abomination makes me wanna gack.
>
> THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

Is that the bird you posted a pic of earlier today, Sheldon?

Looks delicious! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 7:34*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:49:57 -0500, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:
> >http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

> That's a really good looking bird.
> Janet US

Yes, he is a beauty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:
>>http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

>That's a really good looking bird.

Thank you. It was delicious, very juicy. It was still partially
frozen when I put it into the oven, took more than an hour longer than
the instructions indicated before that little plastic thingie popped,
I almost gave up waiting... I kept resetting the timer for additional
20 minutes, after the fourth time it popped.... maybe the trick is to
put it in the oven still partially frozen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> THIS is Thanksgiving turkey: http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

>Is that the bird you posted a pic of earlier today, Sheldon?
>
>Looks delicious! :-)

The very one.
Wouldya lookit those plump breasts and powerful thighs!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> >THIS is Thanksgiving turkey:
>> >http://i41.tinypic.com/66erep.jpg

>> That's a really good looking bird.

>Yes, he is a beauty!

She! She's a plump 14 pound hen... 38 DD!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 9:11*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> That's a really good looking bird.

> >Yes, he is a beauty!

> She! *She's a plump 14 pound hen... 38 DD!

Go stand in the corner!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>I hope the bacon doesn't overtake and
> mask the taste of the turkey. Still, loving
> bacon as I do, that looks
>pretty tasty.

It really doesn't sound that good to me, but then I like turkey, so
wouldn't want to mask the flavor of it. I like laying bacon over
meatloaf, and I have a hamburger/bean casserole, that I layer bacon on
the top of before baking, but bacon over turkey just would be of no
benefit, unless one wanted to change the flavor of it.

I've never had a turkey turn out dry. I use my big covered electric
roaster pan, and it's cooked to perfection and juicy as all get out, if
cooked in the time allowed for the poundage.

Have used the cooking bags for a smaller turkey too, and they do a good
job.

Judy