Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Derby Day Pie

Has anyone made this? I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips to a
pecan pie (Karo label recipe) recipe similar to this

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/choc...0000001056972/

so that my DIL can at least eat the filling (gluten issues). Will the
chocolate distribute throughout the filling if I use chocolate chips
or will it stay at the bottom? Maybe I should use cocoa powder. I'd
rather not have to heat the filling as per the recipe instructions and
treat it like a regular pecan pie if I can possibly get away with it.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 20, 10:43*am, sf > wrote:
> Has anyone made this? *I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips to a
> pecan pie (Karo label recipe) recipe similar to this
>
> http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/choc...-pie-100000010...
>
> so that my DIL can at least eat the filling (gluten issues). *Will the
> chocolate distribute throughout the filling if I use chocolate chips
> or will it stay at the bottom? *Maybe I should use cocoa powder. *I'd
> rather not have to heat the filling as per the recipe instructions and
> treat it like a regular pecan pie if I can possibly get away with it.

The chocolate chips melt and mix into the filling. Don't use cocoa
powder. And you know you can get
gluten free pie crust mix. Bob's Red Mill makes a good one.

Here's my recipe for KY Derby Pie. It's easier to make that the
above recipe, less fuss, more yum.

http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:07:03 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 10:43*am, sf > wrote:
> > Has anyone made this? *I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips to a
> > pecan pie (Karo label recipe) recipe similar to this
> >
> > http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/choc...-pie-100000010...
> >
> > so that my DIL can at least eat the filling (gluten issues). *Will the
> > chocolate distribute throughout the filling if I use chocolate chips
> > or will it stay at the bottom? *Maybe I should use cocoa powder. *I'd
> > rather not have to heat the filling as per the recipe instructions and
> > treat it like a regular pecan pie if I can possibly get away with it.

> The chocolate chips melt and mix into the filling. Don't use cocoa
> powder. And you know you can get
> gluten free pie crust mix. Bob's Red Mill makes a good one.
>
> Here's my recipe for KY Derby Pie. It's easier to make that the
> above recipe, less fuss, more yum.
>
> http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie

Thanks for the recipe, I was going to alter the recipe on the Karo jar
but I like yours so I'll just go with it.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 20, 12:17*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:07:03 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> > On Nov 20, 10:43*am, sf > wrote:
> > > Has anyone made this? *I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips to a
> > > pecan pie (Karo label recipe) recipe similar to this

> > >http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/choc...-pie-100000010....

> > > so that my DIL can at least eat the filling (gluten issues). *Will the
> > > chocolate distribute throughout the filling if I use chocolate chips
> > > or will it stay at the bottom? *Maybe I should use cocoa powder. *I'd
> > > rather not have to heat the filling as per the recipe instructions and
> > > treat it like a regular pecan pie if I can possibly get away with it.

> > The chocolate chips melt and mix into the filling. * Don't use cocoa
> > powder. * And you know you can get
> > gluten free pie crust mix. * Bob's Red Mill makes a good one.

> > Here's my recipe for KY Derby Pie. * It's easier to make that the
> > above recipe, less fuss, more yum.

> >http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...s/68-kentucky-...

> Thanks for the recipe, I was going to alter the recipe on the Karo jar
> but I like yours so I'll just go with it.
>
> --
>
> Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Let me know how it turns out for you and how your guests like it.
Thanks !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:17:36 -0800, sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:07:03 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 20, 10:43*am, sf > wrote:
> > > Has anyone made this? *I'm thinking about adding chocolate chips to a
> > > pecan pie (Karo label recipe) recipe similar to this
> > >
> > > http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/choc...-pie-100000010...
> > >
> > > so that my DIL can at least eat the filling (gluten issues). *Will the
> > > chocolate distribute throughout the filling if I use chocolate chips
> > > or will it stay at the bottom? *Maybe I should use cocoa powder. *I'd
> > > rather not have to heat the filling as per the recipe instructions and
> > > treat it like a regular pecan pie if I can possibly get away with it.

> > The chocolate chips melt and mix into the filling. Don't use cocoa
> > powder. And you know you can get
> > gluten free pie crust mix. Bob's Red Mill makes a good one.
> >
> > Here's my recipe for KY Derby Pie. It's easier to make that the
> > above recipe, less fuss, more yum.
> >
> > http://hizzoners.com/southern-comfor...ucky-derby-pie
> >

> Thanks for the recipe, I was going to alter the recipe on the Karo jar
> but I like yours so I'll just go with it.

Just letting you know that your recipe for Derby Day pie was a big
hit. I was too full to eat dessert last night, but I overheard my DD
tell someone that it was "ridiculous" (meaning fantastic)... so you
got high compliments. Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned