Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Texas [Was; Re; OT restaurant experience]

On 19/11/2011 12:10 PM, M. JL Esq. wrote:

>> Here in Texas it's not illegal to drink at any age as long as a parent
>> or legal guardian is "visibly present". Even in public places. Your
>> parents can be passed out, nodding from heroin, or in advanced stages
>> of dementia, but as long as they can be seen, like VIA your web cam
>> and iPhone, then it's all legit.

> So is shooting to death a halloween trick or treater!
>
> Look it up, some gob texan felt threatened by an iirc "Asian" adolescent
> that came on to his property on halloween and got shot to death by this
> macho texan gob 'defending' his property, the texas courts found him
> 'not guilty' of any crime.

They have some strange justice in Texas. There was a case not too long
ago where some old guy called the police to report that someone was
breaking into his neighbour's house. The dispatcher said there was an
officer on the way. The caller said they guy was getting away and said
he was going to go and shoot him. The dispatcher told him several times
not to do it. The guy went and got his gun, went out and shot and killed
the guy. He was not charged.

Can't do that here. You cannot shoot someone for stealing your property
or anyone else's. You can use enough force to protect yourself up to
and including force if you are truly in peril...... by an armed
assailant.... but... guns are supposed to be safely stored and
ammunition stored in another location.Handguns have to be in a locked
cabinet and trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked
cabinet. If you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the
trigger lock, get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough
danger to use lethal force.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:30:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 19/11/2011 12:10 PM, M. JL Esq. wrote:
>

> >> Here in Texas it's not illegal to drink at any age as long as a parent
> >> or legal guardian is "visibly present". Even in public places. Your
> >> parents can be passed out, nodding from heroin, or in advanced stages
> >> of dementia, but as long as they can be seen, like VIA your web cam
> >> and iPhone, then it's all legit.

> > So is shooting to death a halloween trick or treater!
> >
> > Look it up, some gob texan felt threatened by an iirc "Asian" adolescent
> > that came on to his property on halloween and got shot to death by this
> > macho texan gob 'defending' his property, the texas courts found him
> > 'not guilty' of any crime.

> They have some strange justice in Texas. There was a case not too long
> ago where some old guy called the police to report that someone was
> breaking into his neighbour's house. The dispatcher said there was an
> officer on the way. The caller said they guy was getting away and said
> he was going to go and shoot him. The dispatcher told him several times
> not to do it. The guy went and got his gun, went out and shot and killed
> the guy. He was not charged.
>

> Can't do that here. You cannot shoot someone for stealing your property
> or anyone else's. You can use enough force to protect yourself up to
> and including force if you are truly in peril...... by an armed
> assailant.... but... guns are supposed to be safely stored and
> ammunition stored in another location.Handguns have to be in a locked
> cabinet and trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked
> cabinet. If you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the
> trigger lock, get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough
> danger to use lethal force.

Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
to do all that, you had time to escape.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:30:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> > So is shooting to death a halloween trick or treater!
>> >
>> > Look it up, some gob texan felt threatened by an iirc "Asian"
>> > adolescent
>> > that came on to his property on halloween and got shot to death by this
>> > macho texan gob 'defending' his property, the texas courts found him
>> > 'not guilty' of any crime.

>> They have some strange justice in Texas. There was a case not too long
>> ago where some old guy called the police to report that someone was
>> breaking into his neighbour's house. The dispatcher said there was an
>> officer on the way. The caller said they guy was getting away and said
>> he was going to go and shoot him. The dispatcher told him several times
>> not to do it. The guy went and got his gun, went out and shot and killed
>> the guy. He was not charged.
>>

>> Can't do that here. You cannot shoot someone for stealing your property
>> or anyone else's. You can use enough force to protect yourself up to
>> and including force if you are truly in peril...... by an armed
>> assailant.... but... guns are supposed to be safely stored and
>> ammunition stored in another location.Handguns have to be in a locked
>> cabinet and trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked
>> cabinet. If you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the
>> trigger lock, get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough
>> danger to use lethal force.

> Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
> to do all that, you had time to escape.

And if you didn't have enough time to do all that, you are dead!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:30:41 -0500, Dave Smith
>>
>> ...guns are supposed to be safely stored and ammunition stored in
>> another location.Handguns have to be in a locked cabinet and
>> trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked cabinet. If
>> you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the trigger lock,
>> get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough danger to
>> use lethal force.

> Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
> to do all that, you had time to escape.

If you're in your own home, there is no duty to escape. I suppose you'd
rather have the victim just roll over and die? (makes it a lot easier
for the bad guys and the cops, I suppose)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 4:09 PM, sf wrote:

>> They have some strange justice in Texas. There was a case not too long
>> ago where some old guy called the police to report that someone was
>> breaking into his neighbour's house. The dispatcher said there was an
>> officer on the way. The caller said they guy was getting away and said
>> he was going to go and shoot him. The dispatcher told him several times
>> not to do it. The guy went and got his gun, went out and shot and killed
>> the guy. He was not charged.
>>

>> Can't do that here. You cannot shoot someone for stealing your property
>> or anyone else's. You can use enough force to protect yourself up to
>> and including force if you are truly in peril...... by an armed
>> assailant.... but... guns are supposed to be safely stored and
>> ammunition stored in another location.Handguns have to be in a locked
>> cabinet and trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked
>> cabinet. If you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the
>> trigger lock, get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough
>> danger to use lethal force.

> Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
> to do all that, you had time to escape.

It sure would be here. He had no business going over there. I realize
that Texas has the castle mentality, but it wasn't his castle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 4:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
>> to do all that, you had time to escape.

> And if you didn't have enough time to do all that, you are dead!

Curiously, the firearms homicide rate in the US is more than 6 times
higher than in Canada, so it's hard to argue that it makes people safer
to be able to shoot people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:02:39 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:30:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> >>
> >> ...guns are supposed to be safely stored and ammunition stored in
> >> another location.Handguns have to be in a locked cabinet and
> >> trigger locked, and ammunition in a different locked cabinet. If
> >> you have time to go and get a handgun out, remove the trigger lock,
> >> get the ammunition and load it..... you weren't in enough danger to
> >> use lethal force.

> > Yep. It's premeditated murder, not defense. If you had enough time
> > to do all that, you had time to escape.
> >

> If you're in your own home, there is no duty to escape. I suppose you'd
> rather have the victim just roll over and die? (makes it a lot easier
> for the bad guys and the cops, I suppose)

If there's time to escape, then there's no rolling over - just
getting out. Premeditated murder is premeditated murder, not
self-defense - no matter what spin Texans try to put on it.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Curiously, the firearms homicide rate in the US is more than 6 times
> higher than in Canada, so it's hard to argue that it makes people safer
> to be able to shoot people.

In Texas, it's all about who gets shot, not the total.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 19/11/2011 12:10 PM, M. JL Esq. wrote:

> They have some strange justice in Texas. There was a case not too long
> ago where some old guy called the police to report that someone was
> breaking into his neighbour's house. The dispatcher said there was an
> officer on the way. The caller said they guy was getting away and said
> he was going to go and shoot him. The dispatcher told him several times
> not to do it. The guy went and got his gun, went out and shot and killed
> the guy. He was not charged.

I'd like to see a cite on that one.

> Can't do that here.

Can't do that in most states of the US. We had a case in my town.
Someone broke into a house (broke a downstairs window). A resident
grabbed his son's baseball bat and went downstairs. He chased the
intruder around the house, outside and around the yard, whacking him as
he went. The police came, arrested the resident and threw him in jail.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA