Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ultimate automatic rice cooker

Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.

Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
brown, etc, with little hassle.

Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?

nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-19, notbob > wrote:
> Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
> will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
> a crispy crust called a tahdig.

DOH!!

"Make sure you don't use an Asian rice cooker. It won't turn out. I've
tried it numerous times in my super smancy Zojirushi Japanese rice
cooker and it doesn't work"

http://www.persianfoodie.com/?p=2786

Not a good sign.

I don't like her manual (pan) method, either. Too much oil/fat. My
old Persian rice cooker needed no fat at all and made a perfect tahdig
by default. I may hafta buy two cookers. My old Persian cooker was a
cheapo one trick pony, but only cost about $30.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>
>Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>brown, etc, with little hassle.
>
>Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>
>nb

I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.

Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.

Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
I'd love to know about it.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2011 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, > wrote:
>
>> Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>> will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>> a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>> so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>> cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>>
>> Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>> and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>> another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>> primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>> the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>> brown, etc, with little hassle.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>>
>> nb

> I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
> been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
> method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
> towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
> would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>
> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>
> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
> I'd love to know about it.
>
> Boron

Exactly which variety of rice is used get the very long grains served at
Eastern restaurants with kabobs etc.? They are about twice as long as
the grains I have with Basmati, Jasmine or "long-grain" rice?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:47:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>>will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>>a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>>so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>>cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>>
>>Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>>and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>>another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>>primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>>the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>>brown, etc, with little hassle.
>>
>>Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>>
>>nb

>I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
>been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
>method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
>towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
>would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>
>Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>
>Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>I'd love to know about it.
>
>Boron

If I understand correctly, Persian rice is rice with a golden brown
crust in the bottom of the pot. I was passing by the Home Shopping
Network one time and saw Wolfgang Puck demonstrating his rice cooker.
(removable insert) When he decanted the rice onto a platter it was
completely golden brown and crusty. He made no mention of a special
cuisine, just that he really liked it that way and thought that
indicated a well-cooked rice. FWIW
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:23:05 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 11/19/2011 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, > wrote:
>>
>>> Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>>> will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>>> a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>>> so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>>> cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>>>
>>> Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>>> and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>>> another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>>> primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>>> the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>>> brown, etc, with little hassle.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
>> been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
>> method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
>> towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
>> would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>>
>> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>>
>> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>> I'd love to know about it.
>>
>> Boron

>Exactly which variety of rice is used get the very long grains served at
>Eastern restaurants with kabobs etc.? They are about twice as long as
>the grains I have with Basmati, Jasmine or "long-grain" rice?

I am stumped, The rice we get here in northern NJ in Indian
restaurants and sold in their ethnic markets is usually basmati. I am
sure there may be other varieties, but I have not seen them locally.

As a side note, it turns out that there are rice cookers that will
make Persian tahdig

http://www.gift-centre.com/store/pro...Cooker-DRC250/

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:39:02 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:47:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>>crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>>
>>Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>>I'd love to know about it.
>>
>>Boron

>If I understand correctly, Persian rice is rice with a golden brown
>crust in the bottom of the pot. I was passing by the Home Shopping
>Network one time and saw Wolfgang Puck demonstrating his rice cooker.
>(removable insert) When he decanted the rice onto a platter it was
>completely golden brown and crusty. He made no mention of a special
>cuisine, just that he really liked it that way and thought that
>indicated a well-cooked rice. FWIW
>Janet US

Tahdig is a bit more than just a crust on the rice, although I do love
the crispy bottom if a pot overcooks my rice at any time.

The rice itself needs to be quite dry and separate for proper Persian
rice. As I mentioned in another post, I posted a site that sold a rice
cooker made to achieve the perfect tahdig. I am sure there are several
other ones out there, too, based on what I googled on.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2011 7:45 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> I am stumped, The rice we get here in northern NJ in Indian
> restaurants and sold in their ethnic markets is usually basmati. I am
> sure there may be other varieties, but I have not seen them locally.
>
> As a side note, it turns out that there are rice cookers that will
> make Persian tahdig
>
> http://www.gift-centre.com/store/pro...Cooker-DRC250/
>
> Boron

The rice sold here is mostly short/medium grain rice of the Calrose
variety in 20 lb. bags. Basmati and other long grain rice is mostly sold
in small bags. Near as I can tell, the Koreans and the Japanese are the
main consumers of short grain.

The Pars cooker looks interesting and is made for long grain rice but my
guess is that it would work fine with the rice we use. Personally I
don't like that kind of stuff but the wife and kids seem to enjoy it.
Their favorite Korean rice dish is that one that's served in hot stone
bowls. Thanks for the link, will investigate this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-19, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> As a side note, it turns out that there are rice cookers that will
> make Persian tahdig

As I explain in my second post. I had one, which I purchased at a
Middle Eastern mkt. It was cheap and would only do tahdig. Wouldn't
cook Asian style rice fer dammit.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Nov 2011 18:22:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-11-19, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> As a side note, it turns out that there are rice cookers that will
>> make Persian tahdig

>As I explain in my second post. I had one, which I purchased at a
>Middle Eastern mkt. It was cheap and would only do tahdig. Wouldn't
>cook Asian style rice fer dammit.
>
>nb

Well, you either pay attention to Alton Brown's warnings against
single-use kitchen items, or you spring for two rice cookers if you
feel it is worthwhile.

Though I will probably not wind up with 2 rice cookers, myself, I do
enough specialty cooking that I have a considerable number of
unique-use kitchen gadgets, pots and pans. I have 3 knife blocks
ferkrissakes. And 9 million things to make coffee, from roasting my
own to speedy and overpriced one-cup Keurig things. I must have 40-50
coffee pots/appliances. No joke.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-19, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Though I will probably not wind up with 2 rice cookers, myself, I do
> enough specialty cooking that I have a considerable number of
> unique-use kitchen gadgets, pots and pans. I have 3 knife blocks
> ferkrissakes. And 9 million things to make coffee, from roasting my
> own to speedy and overpriced one-cup Keurig things. I must have 40-50
> coffee pots/appliances. No joke.

We foodies are undeniably gadget geeks, as my own collection will
attest. And this after tossing over half my collection in order to
move. No matter. Gives me the perfect excuse to continue and update.
Nevertheless, warning noted.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:04:41 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On 19 Nov 2011 18:22:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2011-11-19, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>>
>>> As a side note, it turns out that there are rice cookers that will
>>> make Persian tahdig

>>As I explain in my second post. I had one, which I purchased at a
>>Middle Eastern mkt. It was cheap and would only do tahdig. Wouldn't
>>cook Asian style rice fer dammit.
>>
>>nb

>Well, you either pay attention to Alton Brown's warnings against
>single-use kitchen items, or you spring for two rice cookers if you
>feel it is worthwhile.
>
>Though I will probably not wind up with 2 rice cookers, myself, I do
>enough specialty cooking that I have a considerable number of
>unique-use kitchen gadgets, pots and pans. I have 3 knife blocks
>ferkrissakes. And 9 million things to make coffee, from roasting my
>own to speedy and overpriced one-cup Keurig things. I must have 40-50
>coffee pots/appliances. No joke.
>
>Boron

I think I must have a dark side. . .my weakness is things that slice,
dice, chop and cut /:{
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:39:02 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, Persian rice is rice with a golden brown
> crust in the bottom of the pot. I was passing by the Home Shopping
> Network one time and saw Wolfgang Puck demonstrating his rice cooker.
> (removable insert) When he decanted the rice onto a platter it was
> completely golden brown and crusty. He made no mention of a special
> cuisine, just that he really liked it that way and thought that
> indicated a well-cooked rice. FWIW
> Janet US

Oh, lord! I absolutely hate crusty rice, although I don't object to
being served a nice sizzling rice soup in a Chinese restaurant.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:49:57 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> The rice itself needs to be quite dry and separate for proper Persian
> rice. As I mentioned in another post, I posted a site that sold a rice
> cooker made to achieve the perfect tahdig. I am sure there are several
> other ones out there, too, based on what I googled on.

That's two strikes against it for me. I don't like crusty rice and
hate rice that doesn't have some stickiness to it. Any type of long
grain rice = BLECH for me, which is probably a contributing reason for
Indian and other rice based cuisines of the general area not being
very high on my list of things to cook or restaurants to eat in.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 1:04*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Though I will probably not wind up with 2 rice cookers, myself, *I do
> enough specialty cooking that I have a considerable number of
> unique-use kitchen gadgets, pots and pans. *I have 3 knife blocks
> ferkrissakes. And 9 million things to make coffee, from roasting my
> own to speedy and overpriced one-cup Keurig things. I must have 40-50
> coffee pots/appliances. No joke.

Wow! You're a marketer's dream!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I think I must have a dark side. . .my weakness is things that slice,
> dice, chop and cut /:{

One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:50:25 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Janet wrote:
>
>> I think I must have a dark side. . .my weakness is things that slice,
>> dice, chop and cut /:{

>One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.
>
>Bob

I got a meat slicer as a hand-me-down from a friend. Home models are
not worth having.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>> will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>> a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>> so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>> cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>>
>> Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>> and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>> another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>> primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>> the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>> brown, etc, with little hassle.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>>
>> nb

> I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
> been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
> method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
> towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
> would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>
> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>
> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
> I'd love to know about it.
>
> Boron

I had an idea about that crust (I can say it but forget how to
spell it): I bet it could be done in the type of stone pot that
is used for okdol bibimbap--especially if you press the rice
against the bowl.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:39:02 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:47:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>>> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>>>
>>> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>>> I'd love to know about it.
>>>
>>> Boron

>> If I understand correctly, Persian rice is rice with a golden brown
>> crust in the bottom of the pot. I was passing by the Home Shopping
>> Network one time and saw Wolfgang Puck demonstrating his rice cooker.
>> (removable insert) When he decanted the rice onto a platter it was
>> completely golden brown and crusty. He made no mention of a special
>> cuisine, just that he really liked it that way and thought that
>> indicated a well-cooked rice. FWIW
>> Janet US

> Tahdig is a bit more than just a crust on the rice, although I do love
> the crispy bottom if a pot overcooks my rice at any time.
>
> The rice itself needs to be quite dry and separate for proper Persian
> rice. As I mentioned in another post, I posted a site that sold a rice
> cooker made to achieve the perfect tahdig. I am sure there are several
> other ones out there, too, based on what I googled on.
>
> Boron

Yes, you point to the issue with my idea.... It's good to know
there is a cooker that can produce this kind of cooked rice.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:49:57 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> The rice itself needs to be quite dry and separate for proper Persian
>> rice. As I mentioned in another post, I posted a site that sold a rice
>> cooker made to achieve the perfect tahdig. I am sure there are several
>> other ones out there, too, based on what I googled on.

> That's two strikes against it for me. I don't like crusty rice and
> hate rice that doesn't have some stickiness to it. Any type of long
> grain rice = BLECH for me, which is probably a contributing reason for
> Indian and other rice based cuisines of the general area not being
> very high on my list of things to cook or restaurants to eat in.

How does that rule out cooking Indian food, unless it is something
rice-based like a biriani? Sure, a stickier rice wouldn't be the
normal approach, but you can do what you like in that regard.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:39:48 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Nov 19, 1:04*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>>
>> Though I will probably not wind up with 2 rice cookers, myself, *I do
>> enough specialty cooking that I have a considerable number of
>> unique-use kitchen gadgets, pots and pans. *I have 3 knife blocks
>> ferkrissakes. And 9 million things to make coffee, from roasting my
>> own to speedy and overpriced one-cup Keurig things. I must have 40-50
>> coffee pots/appliances. No joke.

>Wow! You're a marketer's dream!

My, my, what a odd conclusion.

I collect coffee makers. Most of mine are vintage

Oh, and I am a advisor to marketers.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:02:45 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>>> will do it all. That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
>>> a crispy crust called a tahdig. Also one that makes good sushi rice
>>> so I can make veggie sushi. Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
>>> cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.
>>>
>>> Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. Looks small
>>> and claims to do it all. Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
>>> another website lists this model as a possibility. The Persian style is
>>> primary in my needs. I can cook perfect steamed white rice. I figure
>>> the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
>>> brown, etc, with little hassle.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
>> been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
>> method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
>> towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
>> would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>>
>> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>>
>> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>> I'd love to know about it.
>>
>> Boron

>I had an idea about that crust (I can say it but forget how to
>spell it): I bet it could be done in the type of stone pot that
>is used for okdol bibimbap--especially if you press the rice
>against the bowl.

It isn't difficult to make on the stovetop, really, but the
convenience of having it made in a rice cooker, with no attention paid
while it bubbles away, is really appealing.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:50:25 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Janet wrote:
>
> > I think I must have a dark side. . .my weakness is things that slice,
> > dice, chop and cut /:{

> One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.

Turning slicer? Is that= like an apple peeler but it's used on ham?

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:56:03 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:50:25 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet wrote:
> >
> >> I think I must have a dark side. . .my weakness is things that slice,
> >> dice, chop and cut /:{

> >One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.
> >
> >Bob
> >

> I got a meat slicer as a hand-me-down from a friend. Home models are
> not worth having.

Yes they are. I used mine enough to make the purchase price back...
but I have no idea where it is now. It was probably "recycled".

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:07:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:49:57 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The rice itself needs to be quite dry and separate for proper Persian
> >> rice. As I mentioned in another post, I posted a site that sold a rice
> >> cooker made to achieve the perfect tahdig. I am sure there are several
> >> other ones out there, too, based on what I googled on.

> > That's two strikes against it for me. I don't like crusty rice and
> > hate rice that doesn't have some stickiness to it. Any type of long
> > grain rice = BLECH for me, which is probably a contributing reason for
> > Indian and other rice based cuisines of the general area not being
> > very high on my list of things to cook or restaurants to eat in.
> >

> How does that rule out cooking Indian food, unless it is something
> rice-based like a biriani?

Give me a break. I was reaching! Never mind that those cuisines
involve way too many spices I don't have in stock and I'd bet that
what I have on hand is more than 70% of what most people have in their
"spice" arsenal.

> Sure, a stickier rice wouldn't be the
> normal approach, but you can do what you like in that regard.

I don't make anything "Indian" that I know of other than throwing some
curry paste or powder in with some chicken and other stuff, but I try
to make "Moroccan" (which is less than authentic) and serve my
"sticky" rice with that.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.
>>

> Turning slicer? Is that= like an apple peeler but it's used on ham?

No, a turning slicer is used to produce extremely long shreds of vegetables
using a device like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rouet-Gourmet-.../dp/B0011X3AX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_1ljSJX1M

I most often see it in sushi restaurants; it's used to make "nests" of
daikon.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 6:02*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >> Gonna start eating more rice. *I'm looking for one rice cooker that
> >> will do it all. *That includes crusted Persian style rice, which has
> >> a crispy crust called a tahdig. *Also one that makes good sushi rice
> >> so I can make veggie sushi. *Also want a small cooker, as I'll be
> >> cooking mainly for myself and perhaps my mom.

> >> Right now, I'm looking at the Zojirushi Micom NS-VGC05. *Looks small
> >> and claims to do it all. *Doesn't say anything about Persian rice, but
> >> another website lists this model as a possibility. *The Persian style is
> >> primary in my needs. *I can cook perfect steamed white rice. *I figure
> >> the fuzzy logic and auto would allow me to try different rices like
> >> brown, etc, with little hassle.

> >> Anyone have any experience with these super/fuzzy/auto cookers?

> >> nb

> > I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. *I have never
> > been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
> > method I was taught by an Iranian friend, *of stove-top pot with a
> > towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
> > would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.

> > Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
> > crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.

> > Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
> > I'd love to know about it.

> > Boron

> I had an idea about that crust (I can say it but forget how to
> spell it): *I bet it could be done in the type of stone pot that
> is used for okdol bibimbap--especially if you press the rice
> against the bowl.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Actually, that's the whole point of the stone pot bibimbap. To produce
a crisp rice crust. The electric rice cooker was a great invention
and it changed the lives of the Asians but it was incapable of making
that crust on the bottom. If you ask me, that was a great leap
forward. However, there are some people that like that stuff - not me!
I used to make rice in a old style cast aluminum rice pot, and a crust
on the bottom was unavoidable. Thank God for the electric rice cooker!

If you ever serve rice to a Korean person, make sure you dish out more
than one scoop. Even if it's a really small one. It's considered bad
manners and bad luck to give only one scoop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:27:46 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> One of these days I'll buy a turning slicer and a mechanized meat slicer.
> >>

> > Turning slicer? Is that= like an apple peeler but it's used on ham?

> No, a turning slicer is used to produce extremely long shreds of vegetables
> using a device like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Rouet-Gourmet-.../dp/B0011X3AX4
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_1ljSJX1M
>
> I most often see it in sushi restaurants; it's used to make "nests" of
> daikon.

Ah, okay thanks. I go to an inexpensive, not very fancy sushi
restaurant and order not very fancy sushi there - so no nests of
daikon experience here. All I require is for the maki to not to fall
apart on its way to my mouth.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-20, tom > wrote:
> this model has been replaced by a newer one by now.

What brand/model?

BTW, if you think I'm stupid enough to open/dwnld an unknown pdf file
I know nothing about and/or have no assurance it's safe, yer dumber
than I am.

nb

vi ....the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>On 2011-11-20, tom > wrote:
>> this model has been replaced by a newer one by now.

>What brand/model?
>
>BTW, if you think I'm stupid enough to open/dwnld an unknown pdf file
>I know nothing about and/or have no assurance it's safe, yer dumber
>than I am.

You don't need one, no one needs an automatic rice cooker... folks
have been cooking rice successfully in an ordinary pot for thousands
of years... you really don't need another silly toy cluttering up your
life. Some small electric appliances are useful and beneficial, like
an ADC... an automatic rice cooker is neither useful or beneficial but
most importantly it's not versatile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
>>On 2011-11-20, tom > wrote:
>>> this model has been replaced by a newer one by now.

>>What brand/model?
>>
>>BTW, if you think I'm stupid enough to open/dwnld an unknown pdf file
>>I know nothing about and/or have no assurance it's safe, yer dumber
>>than I am.

> You don't need one, no one needs an automatic rice cooker... folks
> have been cooking rice successfully in an ordinary pot for thousands
> of years... you really don't need another silly toy cluttering up your
> life. Some small electric appliances are useful and beneficial, like
> an ADC... an automatic rice cooker is neither useful or beneficial but
> most importantly it's not versatile.

We have a Black&Decker Handy Steamer Plus.

You're right...we don't<need> one, nor do we need a cell phone, dishwasher
or electric coffee maker. But it does simplify making rice or steaming
veggies to just set the spring loaded timer and walk away. We also recently
got central heating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>
>>On 2011-11-20, tom > wrote:
>>> this model has been replaced by a newer one by now.

>>What brand/model?
>>
>>BTW, if you think I'm stupid enough to open/dwnld an unknown pdf file
>>I know nothing about and/or have no assurance it's safe, yer dumber
>>than I am.

U are entitled to be as paranoid as u like.

If you feel reckless you could check out the newer model here.

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances....y-steamer.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 9:16*am, "tom" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > notbob wrote:

> >>What brand/model?

> >>BTW, if you think I'm stupid enough to open/dwnld an unknown pdf file
> >>I know nothing about and/or have no assurance it's safe, yer dumber
> >>than I am.

> > You don't need one, no one needs an automatic rice cooker... folks
> > have been cooking rice successfully in an ordinary pot for thousands
> > of years... you really don't need another silly toy cluttering up your
> > life. *Some small electric appliances are useful and beneficial, like
> > an ADC... an automatic rice cooker is neither useful or beneficial but
> > most importantly it's not versatile.

> We have a Black&Decker Handy Steamer Plus.
>
> You're right...we don't<need> one, nor do we need a cell phone, dishwasher
> or electric coffee maker. But it does simplify making rice or steaming
> veggies to just set the spring loaded timer and walk away. We also recently
> got central heating.

The electric rice cooker is important to most Asians who cook rice
daily or several times a day. I'm using it now to boil some
potstickers from Costco. The cooker works pretty good for soups.

I've never seen one of those handy steamer plus thingies -
interesting!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

snippage
> It isn't difficult to make on the stovetop, really, but the
> convenience of having it made in a rice cooker, with no attention paid
> while it bubbles away, is really appealing.
>
> Boron

I would add that having a rice cooker frees up a burner for other
purposes. Some of my friends have the neuro/fuzzy rice cookers, but our
little bare-bones Zojirushi works fine for the two of us.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think the whole concept of a rice cooker is funny!

I have a big stainless soup pot that cooks rice just fine! 2 parts
water to 1 part rice, some salt and butter and 1+ hour later,
perfectly cooked brown rice every time!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Nov 2011 16:19:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Gonna start eating more rice. I'm looking for one rice cooker that
>will do it all.

I think rice cookers are funny! I have a large stainless soup pot that
does just fine.

2 parts water to 1 part rice, some butter and salt, and 1+ hour later
perfect brown rice every time!

John Kuthe...

PS: GoogleGroups REALLY sucks this evening!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> I would add that having a rice cooker frees up a burner for other
> purposes. Some of my friends have the neuro/fuzzy rice cookers, but our
> little bare-bones Zojirushi works fine for the two of us.

Another advantage: rice cookers have non-stick linings, which makes
clean-up a snap.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller > wrote in
:

> Some of my friends have the neuro/fuzzy rice
> cookers, but our little bare-bones Zojirushi works fine for
> the two of us.

I have a Tiger Brand 3-cup basic and gave one to my son a long time
ago when he was away at University. No need for fuzzy logic.
Measure properly, swish the rice around with the paddle (or a
chopstick), close firmly then flip the switch, wait until you hear
the click. And after resting for about thirty minutes the rice is
perfect. I cook basmati, sushi rice, organic small grain brown,
Thai red and black (although it needs cleaning after that). Never
a miss.

--

If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t
help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus

Stephen Colbert (via videcormeum)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:07:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:49:57 -0500, Boron Elgar

>>> That's two strikes against it for me. I don't like crusty rice and
>>> hate rice that doesn't have some stickiness to it. Any type of long
>>> grain rice = BLECH for me, which is probably a contributing reason for
>>> Indian and other rice based cuisines of the general area not being
>>> very high on my list of things to cook or restaurants to eat in.
>>>

>> How does that rule out cooking Indian food, unless it is something
>> rice-based like a biriani?

> Give me a break. I was reaching! Never mind that those cuisines
> involve way too many spices I don't have in stock and I'd bet that
> what I have on hand is more than 70% of what most people have in their
> "spice" arsenal.

That's a whole other matter!

>> Sure, a stickier rice wouldn't be the
>> normal approach, but you can do what you like in that regard.

> I don't make anything "Indian" that I know of other than throwing some
> curry paste or powder in with some chicken and other stuff, but I try
> to make "Moroccan" (which is less than authentic) and serve my
> "sticky" rice with that.

So there's really no problem.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Nov 19, 6:02 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> I wish you luck with the cooker and the Persian rice. I have never
>>> been able to recreate it in a cooker, but rely on the old fashioned
>>> method I was taught by an Iranian friend, of stove-top pot with a
>>> towel under the cover to absorb moisture. That is the condition that
>>> would be difficult to re-create in the cooker.
>>> Oh, you can certainly overcook rice in the cooker and get some sort of
>>> crust, but it isn't the same - at least to me.
>>> Keep me posted, though, because if you can really, really pull it off,
>>> I'd love to know about it.
>>> Boron

>> I had an idea about that crust (I can say it but forget how to
>> spell it): I bet it could be done in the type of stone pot that
>> is used for okdol bibimbap--especially if you press the rice
>> against the bowl.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Actually, that's the whole point of the stone pot bibimbap. To produce
> a crisp rice crust. The electric rice cooker was a great invention
> and it changed the lives of the Asians but it was incapable of making
> that crust on the bottom. If you ask me, that was a great leap
> forward. However, there are some people that like that stuff - not me!
> I used to make rice in a old style cast aluminum rice pot, and a crust
> on the bottom was unavoidable. Thank God for the electric rice cooker!
>
> If you ever serve rice to a Korean person, make sure you dish out more
> than one scoop. Even if it's a really small one. It's considered bad
> manners and bad luck to give only one scoop.

I like the crust, but I did discover one can overdo that when
using my daughter;s method. You do want to be able to chew it
without risking your teeth!

So, it sounds like it is best to use small scoops if you must use
more than one.

--
Jean B.