Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chocolate Bark

I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.

There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips, caramel,
and peanuts.

I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 9:29*am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.
>
> There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips, caramel,
> and peanuts.
>
> I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
> pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
tempering and give excellent results. And as a Christmas Candy maker
for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:

http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm

I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Sounds delicious-I love the combination of salt with chocolate. Instead
of chips, try Cheez-its in one of their many flavors-I am partial to the
(white) Parmesan Garlic. I shy away from baking in those silicone pans
but using them as molds for something like this would make it quite easy
to pop them out of the soft mold afterwards.

I bought a box of holiday-issue chocolate covered Ritz crackers.
Looks/Tastes like a girl scout cookie minus the mint. I did not care for
them-absolutely none of the salt taste comes thru. They would be a nice
vehicle though as crust for mini cheesecake cupcakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

>I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.
>
>There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips, caramel,
>and peanuts.
>
>I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
>pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).
>

>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
bark for sale this year. It is available in the bakery section. After
I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
home.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.
>>
>>There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips,
>>caramel,
>>and peanuts.
>>
>>I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
>>pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).
>>

>>W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
> bark for sale this year. It is available in the bakery section. After
> I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
> home.
> Janet US

Thanks, Janet. That's awesome.

I've been paying through the nose for chocolate bark from this local
chocolate place ($25 for a 1 lb box).

I hear Costco makes good brownies too.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 11:01*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."
>
> > wrote:
> >I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.

> >There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips, caramel,
> >and peanuts.

> >I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
> >pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).

> >W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
> bark for sale this year. *It is available in the bakery section. After
> I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
> home.
> Janet US

BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
at home than anything purchased in any store.

But that's just me. I guess some prefer Worshiping Mammon! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Nov 19, 9:29 am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
>> I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.
>>
>> There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips,
>> caramel, and peanuts.
>>
>> I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of
>> just pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
> best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
> chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
> tempering and give excellent results. And as a Christmas Candy maker
> for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
> coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:
>
> http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm
>
> I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!
>
> John Kuthe...

I'm a chocolate noob, so I'll probably be tempering some real chocolate.

But if I was making peanutbutter balls I'd definitely want that Bada Bing
Bada Boom.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 11:24*am, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 9:29 am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> >> I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.

> >> There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips,
> >> caramel, and peanuts.

> >> I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of
> >> just pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
> > best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
> > chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
> > tempering and give excellent results. *And as a Christmas Candy maker
> > for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
> > coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:

> >http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm

> > I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!

> > John Kuthe...

> I'm a chocolate noob, so I'll probably be tempering some *real chocolate.
>
> But if I was making peanutbutter balls I'd definitely want that Bada Bing
> Bada Boom.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Go for it! A trick I use to avoid having to temper real chocolate is
warm it very slowly to avoid breaking the existing temper. If done
correctly it works very well!

http://oi55.tinypic.com/244pkch.jpg

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Nov 19, 11:01*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.

>> >There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips, caramel,
>> >and peanuts.

>> >I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of just
>> >pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).

>> >W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
>> bark for sale this year. *It is available in the bakery section. After
>> I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
>> home.
>> Janet US

>BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
>at home than anything purchased in any store.
>
>But that's just me. I guess some prefer Worshiping Mammon! :-(
>
>John Kuthe...

I understand completely and sympathize. I too appreciate the thought
of a gift made by the giver. You excel in candy. I don't
particularly like to cook sweets of any kind. I do cheese spreads
instead. The recipients like them and I am happy too.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 11:33*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> >On Nov 19, 11:01*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."

> >> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
> >> bark for sale this year. *It is available in the bakery section. After
> >> I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
> >> home.
> >> Janet US

> >BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
> >at home than anything purchased in any store.

> >But that's just me. I guess some prefer Worshiping Mammon! :-(

> >John Kuthe...

> I understand completely and sympathize. *I too appreciate the thought
> of a gift made by the giver. *You excel in candy. *I don't
> particularly like to cook sweets of any kind. *I do cheese spreads
> instead. *The recipients like them and I am happy too.
> Janet US

Some candies are not that hard at all! Most of what I make does not
involve cooking sugar syrup. Truffles for example! One of the best
bang for the buck STS. Just chop up 1lb of your fave chocolate (real
dark is best), bring just to boil 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream, dump chopped
chocolate in and stir stir stir! When blended cool, roll into balls
and either dip in compound coating or roll in cocoa! Easy peasy! And
DELICIOUS!!!

Lots of other even easier stuff you can make. Check out http://chocoley.com
and look up recipes. Coley and his crew are very nice and very willing
to help you. I've been doing business with them for several years now,
that's my only affiliation with them.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 12:18*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 19, 11:33*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> > > wrote:

> > >BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
> > >at home than anything purchased in any store.

> > >But that's just me. I guess some prefer Worshiping Mammon! :-(

> > >John Kuthe...

> > I understand completely and sympathize. *I too appreciate the thought
> > of a gift made by the giver. *You excel in candy. *I don't
> > particularly like to cook sweets of any kind. *I do cheese spreads
> > instead. *The recipients like them and I am happy too.
> > Janet US

> Some candies are not that hard at all! Most of what I make does not
> involve cooking sugar syrup. Truffles for example! One of the best
> bang for the buck STS. Just chop up 1lb of your fave chocolate (real
> dark is best), bring just to boil 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream, dump chopped
> chocolate in and stir stir stir! When blended cool, roll into balls
> and either dip in compound coating or roll in cocoa! Easy peasy! And
> DELICIOUS!!!
>
> Lots of other even easier stuff you can make. Check outhttp://chocoley.com
> and look up recipes. Coley and his crew are very nice and very willing
> to help you. I've been doing business with them for several years now,
> that's my only affiliation with them.
>
> John Kuthe...

Like this one that just popped up on my Facebook:

http://chocoley.com/christmas/recipes/pretzels.htm

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:49:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Nov 19, 12:18*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 11:33*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

snip
*I don't
>> > particularly like to cook sweets of any kind. snip

>> Some candies are not that hard at all! snip

>> John Kuthe...

I'm sorry that my statement was misleading. I just don't like making,
eating or the smell of sweets cooking. Difficulty is not an issue.
But thank you for being so kind to provide links. :O)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:31:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Nov 19, 11:24*am, "Christopher M." >
>wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>> > What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
>> > best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
>> > chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
>> > tempering and give excellent results. *And as a Christmas Candy maker
>> > for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
>> > coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:

>> >http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm

>> > I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!

>> > John Kuthe...

>> I'm a chocolate noob, so I'll probably be tempering some *real chocolate.
>>
>> But if I was making peanutbutter balls I'd definitely want that Bada Bing
>> Bada Boom.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>Go for it! A trick I use to avoid having to temper real chocolate is
>warm it very slowly to avoid breaking the existing temper. If done
>correctly it works very well!
>
>http://oi55.tinypic.com/244pkch.jpg
>
>John Kuthe...

The Barefoot Contessa (Foot network) has a microwave method for
tempering that seems really easy and fool proof.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:01:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
> bark for sale this year.

I don't eat the peppermint bark (I've been gifted with it), but salted
caramel sounds interesting. Thanks for the FYI, I'll look for it.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
> at home than anything purchased in any store.

Lots of people can't cook or craft their way out of a barrel, so they
buy.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 2:59*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
> > at home than anything purchased in any store.

> Lots of people can't cook or craft their way out of a barrel, so they
> buy.

Then they and their gift is worth just what it is, I suppose.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Nov 19, 9:29 am, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> >> I'm going to make chocolate bark for gifts this year.

> >> There's a local place that makes a popular bark with potato chips,
> >> caramel, and peanuts.

> >> I was thinking about pouring the chocolate into molds (instead of
> >> just pouring it onto a tray and breaking it up with my nunchuks).

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
> > best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
> > chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
> > tempering and give excellent results. *And as a Christmas Candy maker
> > for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
> > coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:

> >http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm

> > I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!

> > John Kuthe...

> I'm a chocolate noob, so I'll probably be tempering some *real chocolate.
>
> But if I was making peanutbutter balls I'd definitely want that Bada Bing
> Bada Boom.

It is shit, made with hydrogenated palm oil. It's like that trash
they make the hollow Easter bunnies out of.

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 6:45*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Nov 19, 11:24*am, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>

> > John Kuthe wrote:

> > > What kind of chocolate are you planning on using? Real chocolate is
> > > best, but requires tempering for it to set up after melting. While
> > > chocolate purists poo poo "compound coatings" they require no
> > > tempering and give excellent results. *And as a Christmas Candy maker
> > > for over 25 years, I found and use what I think is the best compound
> > > coating. Chocoley.com's Bada Bing Bada Boom:

> > >http://www.chocoley.com/compoundchocolate.htm

> > > I've sampled several compound coatings and this IMHO is the best!

> > > John Kuthe...

> > I'm a chocolate noob, so I'll probably be tempering some *real chocolate.

> > But if I was making peanutbutter balls I'd definitely want that Bada Bing
> > Bada Boom.

> It is shit, made with hydrogenated palm oil. *It's like that trash
> they make the hollow Easter bunnies out of.

Best tasting shit I tried!

And hey Bryan! If hydrogenated fats are so bad for you, how come I'm
still walking around? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:45:45 -0800 (PST), Bryan

>It is shit, made with hydrogenated palm oil. It's like that trash
>they make the hollow Easter bunnies out of.

Best tasting shit I tried!

And hey Bryan! If partially hydrogenated fats are such poison, how
come I and so many others are still walking around? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> The Barefoot Contessa (Foot network)

Heh...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:50:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Janet wrote:
>
>> The Barefoot Contessa (Foot network)

>Heh...
>
>Bob

A spell checker can't do everything. snork )
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:19:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:50:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet wrote:
> >
> >> The Barefoot Contessa (Foot network)

> >Heh...
> >
> >Bob
> >

> A spell checker can't do everything. snork )
> Janet US

Okay, I don't get it.

sf <admitted bad speller>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:50:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
>> > wrote:

>> >Heh...
>> >
>> >Bob
>> >

>> A spell checker can't do everything. snork )
>> Janet US

> Okay, I don't get it.
>
> sf <admitted bad speller>

Here's a hint: The *WHAT* Network???

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:15:36 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:50:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"

> >> A spell checker can't do everything. snork )
> >> Janet US

> > Okay, I don't get it.
> >
> > sf <admitted bad speller>

> Here's a hint: The *WHAT* Network???
>
> Bob

HAHAHA!

Thanks

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

recipes for the spreads, much more my speed, Lee
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:23:00 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>>On Nov 19, 11:01 am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:29:53 -0500, "Christopher M."

>>> In addition to their peppermint bark, Costco also has a salted caramel
>>> bark for sale this year. It is available in the bakery section. After
>>> I priced these items I decided that I couldn't afford to make them at
>>> home.
>>> Janet US

>>BAH!! They will not be real gifts then. I much more value a gift made
>>at home than anything purchased in any store.
>>
>>But that's just me. I guess some prefer Worshiping Mammon! :-(
>>
>>John Kuthe...

> I understand completely and sympathize. I too appreciate the thought
> of a gift made by the giver. You excel in candy. I don't
> particularly like to cook sweets of any kind. I do cheese spreads
> instead. The recipients like them and I am happy too.
> Janet US

The best way to eat chocolate bark, nonpariels Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 0 19-11-2012 06:59 PM
chocolate bark Nonny Barbecue 8 14-01-2010 02:50 PM
Bark on or off? [email protected] Barbecue 3 09-05-2008 08:40 PM
Chocolate Bark Candy Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2004 07:10 PM
Almond White Chocolate Bark International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2004 02:48 PM