Old 19-11-2011, 01:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Monte Cristo Sandwich

How would you prepare one?

I ask because I have been forced to become a member of "the club" where I
live (long story, don't bother). Since I don't play golf or tennis or swim,
the only benefit seems to be I can dine at the club. There is a public web
site that lists the menus of the various dining rooms at the club. That
description seems to be correct for a Monte Cristo sandwich. The private
(members only) web site has the same menus, except on it the definition of a
Monte Cristo is vastly different from my experience. IOW, it isn't a Monte
Cristo!

So, if you've ever had or were going to make a Monte Cristo sandwich, how
would you go about it? No googling If you've ever had one you'll know
it!

Jill

Old 19-11-2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

So, if you've ever had or were going to make a Monte Cristo
sandwich, how would you go about it? No googling If
you've ever had one you'll know it!

In my experience, and I do stress it is my experience and I make no
claim for special knowledge, it's a croque-monsieur with a slice of
turkey added.

Having said that, I checked and the slice of turkey is apparently a
"regional" variation, in my case the region of southern New
Brunswick, the city of Saint John to be precise. It was what I ate
a few times at the Delta hotel there, back 30 some years ago when I
had to travel to Saint John to spend time with my infant daughter.

I have not had it since. I have not seen it on menus since.

--

If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t
help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus

Stephen Colbert (via videcormeum)
Old 19-11-2011, 02:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 8:49*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
How would you prepare one?

I ask because I havebeenforced to become a member of"theclub" where I
live (long story, don't bother). *Since I don't play golf or tennis or swim,
the only benefit seems to be I can dine at the club. *There is a public web
site that lists the menus of the various dining rooms at the club. *That
description seems to be correct for a Monte Cristo sandwich. *The private
(members only) web site has the same menus, except on it the definition of a
Monte Cristo is vastly different from my experience. *IOW, it isn't a Monte
Cristo!

So, if you've everhador were going to make a Monte Cristo sandwich, howwould you go about it? *No googling *If you've everhadone you'll know
it!

Jill

Haven't made one in years. So...
Two slices french bread.
Ham
Swiss (Emmentaler) Cheese
(Some people put roast chicken breast on)
Put ham & cheese twixt the french bread
make a french toast type batter
dip whole sandwich in batter
fry in clarified (or plain) butter both sides
some people like raspberry preserve served with this
Old 19-11-2011, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michel Boucher" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

So, if you've ever had or were going to make a Monte Cristo
sandwich, how would you go about it? No googling If
you've ever had one you'll know it!

In my experience, and I do stress it is my experience and I make no
claim for special knowledge, it's a croque-monsieur with a slice of
turkey added.

Having said that, I checked and the slice of turkey is apparently a
"regional" variation, in my case the region of southern New
Brunswick, the city of Saint John to be precise. It was what I ate
a few times at the Delta hotel there, back 30 some years ago when I
had to travel to Saint John to spend time with my infant daughter.

I have not had it since. I have not seen it on menus since.

--

Ah, yes, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite that. The
Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I haven't seen it on a

Jill

Old 19-11-2011, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 9:55*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I've never had it deep fried. I wouldn't want it that way.

Old 19-11-2011, 03:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 8:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:
How would you prepare one?

I ask because I have been forced to become a member of "the club" where
I live (long story, don't bother). Since I don't play golf or tennis or
swim, the only benefit seems to be I can dine at the club. There is a
public web site that lists the menus of the various dining rooms at the
club. That description seems to be correct for a Monte Cristo sandwich.
The private (members only) web site has the same menus, except on it the
definition of a Monte Cristo is vastly different from my experience.
IOW, it isn't a Monte Cristo!

So, if you've ever had or were going to make a Monte Cristo sandwich,
how would you go about it? No googling If you've ever had one you'll
know it!

It has been along time since I had one, but it seems to me it was a ham
and cheese French toast.

Old 19-11-2011, 03:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

you should speak to the chef.

And I shudder to think what they would serve if osso buco was on the menu.

Old 19-11-2011, 03:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/11/2011 9:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
s, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite that.
The Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I haven't seen it
on a menu in about 20 years. The distinction between croque-monsieur is
it's ham and turkey with swiss cheese, battered and deep fried. Then
sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam.
(It should probably only be eaten once every twenty years.) These people
have managed to *******ize it into a ham sandwich with harvarti served
on toasted brioche. Sorry, people, that is *not* a Monte Cristo!

In that case, you could wash it down with a chocolate martini, because
that is not a martini. ;-)
Old 19-11-2011, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

snip

Ah, yes, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite
that. The Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I
haven't seen it on a menu in about 20 years. The distinction between
croque-monsieur is it's ham and turkey with swiss cheese, battered
and deep fried. Then sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar and
served with strawberry jam. (It should probably only be eaten once
every twenty years.) These people have managed to *******ize it into
a ham sandwich with harvarti served on toasted brioche. Sorry,
people, that is *not* a Monte Cristo!
Jill

Yes, but it sounds a lot better than a Monte Cristo to me.

Old 19-11-2011, 03:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 9:06*am, Dave Smith wrote:
In that case, you could wash it down with a chocolate martini, because
that is not a martini. *;-)

Maybe not, but chocolate martinis sure are yummy! As opposed to real
martinis, which contain juniper berry juice! YUCK!!

John Kuthe...

Old 19-11-2011, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:06:05 -0500, Dave Smith
In that case, you could wash it down with a chocolate martini, because
that is not a martini. ;-)

Maybe not, but chocolate martinins are YUMMY!!

As opposed to a "real martini", which has that crap they call gin in
it! Gin is only fit as a disinfectant or to clean paint brushes in.

John Kuthe...
Old 19-11-2011, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
. com...
On 19/11/2011 9:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
s, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite that.
The Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I haven't seen it
on a menu in about 20 years. The distinction between croque-monsieur is
it's ham and turkey with swiss cheese, battered and deep fried. Then
sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam.
(It should probably only be eaten once every twenty years.) These people
have managed to *******ize it into a ham sandwich with harvarti served
on toasted brioche. Sorry, people, that is *not* a Monte Cristo!

In that case, you could wash it down with a chocolate martini, because
that is not a martini. ;-)

ROFL! At least my annual dining minimum includes booze

Jill

Old 19-11-2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

snip

Ah, yes, the croque-monsieur with turkey. Except it's not quite
that. The Monte Cristo is a rare item on menus, to be sure. I
haven't seen it on a menu in about 20 years. The distinction between
croque-monsieur is it's ham and turkey with swiss cheese, battered
and deep fried. Then sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar and
served with strawberry jam. (It should probably only be eaten once
every twenty years.) These people have managed to *******ize it into
a ham sandwich with harvarti served on toasted brioche. Sorry,
people, that is *not* a Monte Cristo!
Jill

Yes, but it sounds a lot better than a Monte Cristo to me.

Oh, a true Monte Cristo is delicious! But as previously stated, you
probagbly should only have one once every 20 years or so

Jill

Old 19-11-2011, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message

On Nov 19, 8:49 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

cutting to chase

So, if you've everhador were going to make a Monte Cristo sandwich,
howwould you go about it? No googling If you've everhadone
you'll
know it!

Haven't made one in years. So...
Two slices french bread.
Ham
Swiss (Emmentaler) Cheese
(Some people put roast chicken breast on)
Put ham & cheese twixt the french bread
make a french toast type batter
dip whole sandwich in batter
fry in clarified (or plain) butter both sides
some people like raspberry preserve served with this.

And some people consider it a "savory" and serve it with hollandaise
sauce.

Felice

Old 19-11-2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I will. Since they're forcing me to dine there (it's a use it or lose it
"benefit" of being a member of the club) I have every right to question
their chef.

And I shudder to think what they would serve if osso buco was on the menu.

LOL! I'm pretty sure they don't serve osso buco I don't mind giving
chefs poetic license but there's another menu item that gives me pause.
Veal scallopini should be simple. Why does this guy want to add olives and
sun dried tomatoes? IMHO he's over-complicating (and possibly overwhelming)
the dish.

Jill

Monte Cristo sandwich .. what up with the jam? RocketMan Historic 7 01-11-2007 11:57 PM
Bennigan's Monte Cristo Deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2006 11:19 PM
Monte Cristo SS Recipes (moderated) 0 03-10-2006 04:40 AM
Monte Cristo Sandwich Charles Gifford Historic 12 01-05-2004 08:54 AM