Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you have a good recipe for Hamburger Buns?

What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 4:10*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> What is the best bun to bake? *The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

You don't say whether you want them light and fluffy or heavy like a
kaiser type roll. so, here's one for both the burger and the dogs.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/burger-...ns/detail.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Nov 17, 4:10 pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

You don't say whether you want them light and fluffy or heavy like a
kaiser type roll. so, here's one for both the burger and the dogs.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/burger-...ns/detail.aspx

thanks. I am not sure which I would prefer. I think I will get some
suggestions and actually try them, instead of just shooting them down one by
one. As fun as that might be, and in keeping with some sort of tradition
here . . .

Oh, I just remembered - a soft pretzel type roll. I'll add to the list to
try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
Maybe you could consider that instead.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-rolls-recipe

> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>>

> I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
> Maybe you could consider that instead.
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...r-rolls-recipe
>>
>> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

> Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
> though.

yes, I gave up on hot dogs decades ago. thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I just made Belles Hamburger Buns and liked them a lot. The egg wash gives a
nice crisp exterior.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/belles-...ns/detail.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Pico Rico > wrote:
>What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

I am told that the Beautiful Burger Buns from King Arthur Flour are
awesome. Google will be your friend.

>And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Check KAF.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Pico Rico > wrote:
>>What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>>restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

> I am told that the Beautiful Burger Buns from King Arthur Flour are
> awesome. Google will be your friend.
>
>>And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

> Check KAF.
> --

thanks for the tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>>
>> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?
>>

> I just made Belles Hamburger Buns and liked them a lot. The egg wash gives
> a nice crisp exterior.
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/belles-...ns/detail.aspx

thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2011 04:10 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

The absolute best I've made are King Arthur Flour's Beautiful Burger
Buns: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...er-buns-recipe

I also stuff them sometimes, and they're awesome that way, too:
http://www.momfoodproject.com/2011/0...uffed-version/

> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Yep.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

http://www.judithgreenwood.com/made-...sandwich-buns/

because the ones in markets here look right but are actually terribly sweet
and seem to have almond extract in them. This recipe has worked very well
for both. Previous to finding it, I did white bread in shapes, but this is
better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>>

> I don't make hamburger buns and when I want buns, I buy kaiser rolls.
> Maybe you could consider that instead.

Or onion rolls! I wouldn't bother making rolls for hamburgers, but then
again I've never claimed to be a baker

> Might as well. I would use it for grilled sausages, not hot dogs,
> though.

For grilled sausage (Italian, which I avoid due to fennel seeds, or
bratwurst) I prefer a toasted hoagie bun or sourdough.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 7:10*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> What is the best bun to bake? *The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

WHOLE WHEAT HAMBURGER BUNS

I make these abt twice a week and like the results.

Into my ABM I dump:

5/8 C water
1 egg
1 & 1/3 C bread flour (I mix KA with gluten, I cup to 1 T.)
1/3 C Whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt
3 T safflower oil (sometimes canola, if I'm out of saf)
2-3 T sugar
2 t. dry active yeast

Use dough setting.
I roll the dough into long ropes, then fashion into a rosette shaped
bun. Sometimes I roll the ropes first in rye flour. Cover and let
rise in a warm oven for abt 10 mins.

Bake at 400 on a parchment covered sheet. Check after 10 minutes.
I get 5 good sized rolls out of this. I also have the quantities if
you want to make about 8 rolls.

_______________

I also have used this recipe for a nice loaf of bread made in the
ABM. Heat the water in mike for 30 sec. on high. I used the rapid
bake setting on the ABM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>What is the best bun to bake?

The one *you* like best? That day.

>The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

>And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I make whatever bread I feel like that day-- white, ciabatta, rye. . .
I haven't tried the KA recipes that have been posted-- but I'll
probably get around to it one of these days.

After the first rise I make them into 90g [or so] rolls [or 130g logs]
and arrange on a 1/2 sheet pan. I fit 12 hamburger and 8 hot dog
rolls on a pan. I butter them once at this point so they come apart
easier-- then I hit them again when they come out.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:10:46 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
>And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

The best buns I've ever made were from the King Arthur onion roll
recipe. It's on their site. Good stuff.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

Use a plain sweet roll dough, shape accordingly, and bake.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 16:24:34 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
>On Nov 17, 4:10 pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>>
>> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

>You don't say whether you want them light and fluffy or heavy like a
>kaiser type roll. so, here's one for both the burger and the dogs.
>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/burger-...ns/detail.aspx
>
>thanks. I am not sure which I would prefer. I think I will get some
>suggestions and actually try them, instead of just shooting them down one by
>one. As fun as that might be, and in keeping with some sort of tradition
>here . . .
>
>Oh, I just remembered - a soft pretzel type roll. I'll add to the list to
>try.

Pretzel rolls are great for hot dogs and other sausages. They're big
and sturdy enough to make a double dog with all the proper condiments.
Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:16:09 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>On 11/17/2011 04:10 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
>> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.

>The absolute best I've made are King Arthur Flour's Beautiful Burger
>Buns: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...er-buns-recipe
>
>I also stuff them sometimes, and they're awesome that way, too:
>http://www.momfoodproject.com/2011/0...uffed-version/

That looks wonderful Serene!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >Use a plain sweet roll dough, shape accordingly, and bake.

> Sweet dough is for sticky buns, I think a bit sugary for burgers n'
> dawgs.

<shrug> Many dinner rolls are made from a rich sweet dough--it's more
tender. I am excluding "hard roll" type breads.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/11/2011 7:10 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> What is the best bun to bake? The stuff I have seen and even gotten in
> restaurants are generally pretty uninspiring.
>
> And, as long as we are at it, use the same recipe for hot dog buns?

I don't eat enough bread or rolls to be bothered making them. The
commercial rolls are usually pretty lame. I get hamburger buns from the
local bakery. They are more expensive than in the grocery store but they
are worth it. A good roll is an essential part of a good burger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> >Use a plain sweet roll dough, shape accordingly, and bake.

>> Sweet dough is for sticky buns, I think a bit sugary for burgers n'
>> dawgs.

><shrug> Many dinner rolls are made from a rich sweet dough--it's more
>tender. I am excluding "hard roll" type breads.

Curiosity made me look at my favorite recipes for dinner rolls and
cinnamon rolls.

Both make about 3 lbs of dough. The dinner rolls have 1/4 cup sugar,
the cinn. rolls have 2/3 cup.

Different degrees of sweetness-- but my dinner rolls could certainly
be called 'sweet dough' . . . and they make great hotdog and
hamburger buns.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:19:37 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> ><shrug> Many dinner rolls are made from a rich sweet dough--it's more
> >tender. I am excluding "hard roll" type breads.

> Curiosity made me look at my favorite recipes for dinner rolls and
> cinnamon rolls.
>
> Both make about 3 lbs of dough. The dinner rolls have 1/4 cup sugar,
> the cinn. rolls have 2/3 cup.
>
> Different degrees of sweetness-- but my dinner rolls could certainly
> be called 'sweet dough' . . . and they make great hotdog and
> hamburger buns.

My rolls don't contain sugar, but I use lots of honey. I like them on
the sweet side.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>>> Sweet dough is for sticky buns, I think a bit sugary for burgers n'
>>> dawgs.

>><shrug> Many dinner rolls are made from a rich sweet dough--it's more
>>tender. I am excluding "hard roll" type breads.

>Curiosity made me look at my favorite recipes for dinner rolls and
>cinnamon rolls.
>
>Both make about 3 lbs of dough. The dinner rolls have 1/4 cup sugar,
>the cinn. rolls have 2/3 cup.

For a dough recipe one who would indicate the volume of sugar would
also indicate the volume of flour, no one gives a rats b-hind how much
the dough weighs... makes one think you're full of excrement.

>Different degrees of sweetness-- but my dinner rolls could certainly
>be called 'sweet dough' . . . and they make great hotdog and
>hamburger buns.

Hey, there's no accounting for taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 20, 4:38*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

A good roll is an essential part of a good burger.

Sigworthy!!.

I hate rolls whose underhalf turns to a wet, paper thin sheet.
Many places make a tasty burger, then ruin the eating experience by
using collapsible buns.

Hamburger buns pintlar@node1 Baking 4 04-07-2017 02:23 PM
Have A Good Recipe For Cabbage - Hamburger Wraps? Judy Haffner General Cooking 25 28-02-2013 01:54 AM
REC: Hamburger buns ABM Curly Sue General Cooking 6 13-06-2006 05:32 AM
hamburger buns get hard Danny Kewl Preserving 31 17-02-2005 07:55 AM
Hamburger Buns Johnson (Cayman Designs) Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2004 02:51 PM