FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mexican Thanksgiving recipes/ideas (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/41282-mexican-thanksgiving-recipes-ideas.html)

Ginny Sher 28-10-2004 03:09 AM

Mexican Thanksgiving recipes/ideas

Hi, all.

I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
do something different (i.e. Mexican theme meal). I plan on serving
homemade tamales and will use a recipe someone on this newsgroup
posted some years ago. It'll be my first attempt at these and I know
they are labor intensive...

I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Ginny

SportKite1 28-10-2004 03:34 AM

>From: Ginny Sher

>I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
>can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
>knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.

Do a Chili Rub on a Turkey, stuff with chorizo-cornbread dressing and roast per
usual. You can make a mole sauce to serve with it, instead of traditional
gravy. Creamy refried beans topped with queso fresca and sweet potato cakes
topped with cranberry salsa would be good sides.

A salad of spring greens, jicama, pepitas, orange slices & red onions with a
citrus vinagrette would be a nice addition.

Pumpkin Flan and Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream with Mexican Wedding Cakes for
dessert.

Ellen

Goomba38 28-10-2004 03:44 AM

Ginny Sher wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
> do something different (i.e. Mexican theme meal). I plan on serving
> homemade tamales and will use a recipe someone on this newsgroup
> posted some years ago. It'll be my first attempt at these and I know
> they are labor intensive...
>
> I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
> can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
> knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Ginny

Here you go! Kay Hartman had this down pat. Here
is the tamale recipe, and all her others are
easily found via dejanews-
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%...e .net&rnum=2
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ta...e.net&rnum =1

PENMART01 28-10-2004 03:52 AM

>Ginny Sher wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
>> do something different (i.e. Mexican theme meal). I plan on serving
>> homemade tamales and will use a recipe someone on this newsgroup
>> posted some years ago. It'll be my first attempt at these and I know
>> they are labor intensive...
>>
>> I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
>> can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
>> knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>> Ginny

I don't think it matters what you serve so long as there's mucho cervesa y
tequilla.... after a few stiff ones you can serve fried Hebrew National salami
with eggs and so long as it's rolled in a tortilla no one will doubt it's
Mexican chow.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Jill Delgado 28-10-2004 05:09 AM

Hi Ginny,

Tamales are not too labor intensive if you do it over a couple days. A
friend and I make about 20 dozen at a time, 2 or 3 times a year.

I cook the meat for the filling the day before we plan to assemble the
tamales. Soak the corn husks over night and start making the tamales the
second day. It's fun if you have someone helping you assemble them...you
just sit at a table, roll tamales and talk, talk, talk..

We serve a gravy, refried beans, "Spanish" rice, lettuce, tomatoes, avacado
(or guacamole) with our tamales. This is traditionally Christmas Eve meal,
but should be great for Thanksgiving. The tamales are so filling that you
really don't need lots of other things on the menu.

I don't know where you live, but if it's warm, Sangria is great with this
meal...and Margarita's are good anywhere!!

jillie
Roseville, CA

MareCat 28-10-2004 05:51 AM

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> Hi, all.
>
> I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
> do something different (i.e. Mexican theme meal). I plan on serving
> homemade tamales and will use a recipe someone on this newsgroup
> posted some years ago. It'll be my first attempt at these and I know
> they are labor intensive...
>
> I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
> can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
> knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Ginny

Here's an excellent dessert to add to your menu...

Mary

Three-Milk Cake (Pastel de Tres Leches)--courtesy of the Houston
Chronicle

This dessert is a favorite on the menus at many Houston Mexican and
South American restaurants. Arnaldo Richards of Pico's reworked a
previously published recipe to fit a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan, which is
more common to home cooking.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Fresh strawberries and mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Topping (recipe follows)
Meringue (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch
baking pan. Sift flour with baking powder. In large bowl with clean
beaters, beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar gradually, beating to
form stiff peaks.

Add yolks, one at a time. Slowly add flour and milk. Pour batter into
prepared pan and bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 to 45
minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. Prepare Topping. Pour Topping
over cake and let sit until all the mixture is absorbed, 20 to 30
minutes.

Prepare Meringue and refrigerate. Before serving, cut cake into
squares and spread Meringue over each. Garnish as desired with fresh
berries and mint leaves.

Topping

1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup each milk and sour cream

Combine milks and sour cream (do not beat). Use as directed.

Meringue

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water, heated
3 egg whites

Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Let sit until sugar is
dissolved. In clean electric mixer bowl with clean beaters, beat egg
whites. Slowly pour sugar syrup over egg whites, beating constantly
until meringue holds stiff peaks. Store in refrigerator. This can be
served immediately but is best made 24 hours ahead and chilled. The
meringue will keep, covered, 2 days in the refrigerator.

Note: The newspaper clipping for this recipe that I have is exactly
the same as the one above except it calls for a whipped cream topping
instead of a meringue. I've had it prepared both ways in restaurants
here, and both ways are equally yummy. The whipped cream topping
recipe is below.

Whipped Cream Topping

2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract

Chill cream, bowl, and beaters thoroughly. Beat cream with electric
mixer until it begins to thicken. Gradually add sugar and vanilla and
beat until stiff peaks form. Cover top and sides of cake with whipped
cream with a spatula or knife. Cut cake and serve (or cut the cake in
squares and top with whipped cream when it is served).

Bob 28-10-2004 10:49 AM

Jill wrote:

> jillie
> Roseville, CA

Hey -- WHAT? Someone on this newsgroup lives in my neck of California?

Bob
Lincoln, CA

Margaret Suran 28-10-2004 01:53 PM

Jill Delgado wrote:
> Hi Ginny,

Interesting description snipped.

> Tamales are not too labor intensive if you do it over a couple days. A
> friend and I make about 20 dozen at a time, 2 or 3 times a year.
> jillie
> Roseville, CA
>

> "Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi, all.
>>
>>I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
>>do something different (i.e. Mexican theme meal). I plan on serving
>>homemade tamales and will use a recipe someone on this newsgroup
>>posted some years ago. It'll be my first attempt at these and I know
>>they are labor intensive...
>>
>>I would like some help with ideas and/or recipes for other dishes that
>>can keep in theme with a Mexican celebration. Any help from you
>>knowledgeable people is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you very much,
>>Ginny

Jillie D., would you believe that I never ate a Tamale? As you may
recall, I am not very adventurous when it comes to food. I tried
chile once, in the 1940's or early 50's, at Victor's Cafe on the Upper
West Side. I still remember the blisters on my tongue and my palate. M

Melba's Jammin' 28-10-2004 02:45 PM

I remember helping someone make tamales at the First ZeltSeattle Cook-in
of 1999. It was fun. Wish I could remember the particulars of who did
all the prep work for it. I think my job was to tie a few of them ready
for steaming.

In article >, "Jill Delgado"

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin' 28-10-2004 02:46 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I'll be hosting a family Thanksgiving dinner this year and I'd like to
> Ginny

Hey, Ginny!! How's your Navy cook doing?

kilikini 28-10-2004 03:23 PM

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> Jillie D., would you believe that I never ate a Tamale? As you may
> recall, I am not very adventurous when it comes to food. I tried
> chile once, in the 1940's or early 50's, at Victor's Cafe on the Upper
> West Side. I still remember the blisters on my tongue and my palate. M

Margaret, tamales aren't hot at all! It's a dense mixture of chopped meat
and cornmeal rolled up in corn leaves. It's the SAUCE that you put on the
tamale that can be as hot as you want. I don't do any kind of pepper, much
to my DH dismay. He'll eat fresh habaneros . Yikes!

kili

Charles Gifford 29-10-2004 12:13 AM

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> I don't think it matters what you serve so long as there's mucho cervesa y
> tequilla.... after a few stiff ones you can serve fried Hebrew National

salami
> with eggs and so long as it's rolled in a tortilla no one will doubt it's
> Mexican chow.

You got that right Sheldon! Enough cervesa y tequila and it just don't
matter. Cheers!

Charlie

Charles Gifford 29-10-2004 12:13 AM

Charles Gifford 29-10-2004 12:18 AM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I remember helping someone make tamales at the First ZeltSeattle Cook-in
> of 1999. It was fun. Wish I could remember the particulars of who did
> all the prep work for it. I think my job was to tie a few of them ready
> for steaming.

It was my job to eat 'em. As I remember it was a long wait for them to get
to the table. Just as well as Zelt filled me up on pulled pork sandwiches at
the beginning of the festivities. He forced me to eat them! Probably an
actionable form of assault.

Charlie

Jill Delgado 29-10-2004 02:24 AM

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> Jillie D., would you believe that I never ate a Tamale? As you may
> recall, I am not very adventurous when it comes to food. I tried
> chile once, in the 1940's or early 50's, at Victor's Cafe on the Upper
> West Side. I still remember the blisters on my tongue and my palate. M

Margaret, what are we going to do with you? You're missing out on some
really good food. It is a HUGE misconception that Mexican food has to be
hot. It is just flavorful...and the condiments you choose control the heat.
People are always amazed when they have Mexican food for the first time at
my house. The usual comment is, "Wow! This is really good. I didn't know
Mexican food would taste like this>"

xoxoxo
jillie

Melba's Jammin' 29-10-2004 02:30 AM

In article .net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > I remember helping someone make tamales at the First ZeltSeattle
> > Cook-in of 1999. It was fun. Wish I could remember the
> > particulars of who did all the prep work for it. I think my job
> > was to tie a few of them ready for steaming.
> >

> It was my job to eat 'em. As I remember it was a long wait for them
> to get to the table. Just as well as Zelt filled me up on pulled pork
> sandwiches at the beginning of the festivities. He forced me to eat
> them!

The lowdown bum!

>Probably an actionable form of assault.

> Charlie

Who brought the goods, Charlie? Jen Somebody and her beau?

Cynthia Mason 29-10-2004 06:50 AM

You could have carnitas-pork-with guacamole or cornbread dressing using
chorizo sausage instead of regular sausage. An orange and jicama salad
and pumpkin flan. Your tamales could be turkey. You could fix turkey
mole.