Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

Default Are lids for cooking pots being sold by retailers?

I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

Thanks,

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

Find a restaurant supply store and buy the flat aluminum lids that cover
several different sized pots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 8, 10:52*am, "Yes" > wrote:
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. *The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. *No luck. *Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

Who made them? Some pans were made to be sold without lids. I bought
some pan lids for Farberware from the Farberware outlet store, which
I'm not sure still exists.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" wrote in message ...

I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

Thanks,

John

- - - - - - - - - - -

If you can't find lids, you might consider buying the very cheapest pan (or
even pan set) *with* lids. Discard the pans and keep the lids. This isn't
ideal, but it's better than having a pan without a lid.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:52:16 +0000 (UTC), "Yes" >
wrote:

> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

Find a restaurant supply store. The lids won't be pretty, but they'll
get the job done.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:12:22 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "Yes" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> > bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> > I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> > Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> > available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

> Find a restaurant supply store and buy the flat aluminum lids that cover
> several different sized pots.

I know what you're talking about, but if he brings measurements he'll
be able to find something that fits the pan.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" > wrote in message

> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store
> and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Amazon has several kinds and sizes.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes wrote:

> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?

A couple Asian food stores near me have glass lids
in a range of sizes in their housewares sections.
If there is an Asian food store near you, I'd suggest
looking there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" > wrote in message
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

A few years ago I was given a universal pan lid as a gift. Strange gift
since I had mentioned to the giver of the gift that when I replaced my pans
I kept the lids. I rarely use the lids and the old lids were in good shape,
but the pans were not. I have Revereware. They changed the shape of the
pans but all of the lids would still fit something.

Anyway... I just did a search for universal lids and they are still being
sold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 8, 1:52*pm, "Yes" > wrote:
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. *The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. *No luck. *Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Try Amazon, they seem to sell everything.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes wrote:
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. No luck. Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Try using a pie pan. Inverted works too.

Not the best solution, but it'll work until you find something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

J. Clarke wrote:

> > -- snipped--
> >

> If you've got a friend with a band saw you can make a perfectly
> serviceable lid from a piece of aluminum and a cabinet knob from Home
> Depot. Just saw it the right size.

LOL. No, I don't, but I do remember that my mother had had a skillet
pan made for her. This would have been about 50+ years ago. That
thing could take a beating, keep on ticking and also make a handy tool
if you had really wanted to hit someone over the head with it :-)
Don't remember whatever became of it.

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

Thanks for everyone's responses. I don't buy cookware very often and
wasn't aware of alternative places (to department stores or grocery
stores) where one could buy cookware items. Also, I wan't aware of the
term "universal lid".

I think I'll probably try the suggestion of Ace ??? store because they
have at least one location here in town; hopefully they don't require a
membership, but if they do I might be able to work around that.

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 8, 1:52*pm, "Yes" > wrote:
> I've been looking for a lid for I believe an 8' pan and a 10' pan I
> bought a long time ago. *The pans are in good shape for my use, but
> I've gone to my local grocery store, a Williams-sonoma (sp?) store and
> Wal-Mart trying to find a lid to buy for each. *No luck. *Are lids
> available for purchase independently of the pan these days?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

I have a universal lid which fits over all my skillets. I have never
lost a lid which came with any saucepans.