Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground Coffee (one more time)

Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various brewing methods
and filters:

"Suggested Settings

These are the factory suggested settings.
Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.

1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various brewing
> methods
> and filters:
>
> "Suggested Settings
>
> These are the factory suggested settings.
> Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.
>
> 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"
>
> -- Larry

Whose customers? I don't know anyone who runs a coffee shop.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 3:05*pm, wrote:
> Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various brewing methods
> and filters:
>
> "Suggested Settings
>
> These are the factory suggested settings.
> Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.
>
> 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"

Thanks for the list. How does one measure that? For reference, there
are about 25,000 microns in an inch. Maybe I'll dig out my microscope
and look at a representative sample.

I'm a little confused about Melitta vs. paper filters. They're both
paper, no?

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:20:05 -0400, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>Whose customers? I don't know anyone who runs a coffee shop.

Ask Ditting Switzerland -- it's their text. See the quotation marks? Or are you
being intentionally obtuse?

I would imagine they're addressing the people who buy almost all of their
product -- supermarkets, coffee shops, and other restaurants.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Larry replied to Jill:

>> Whose customers? I don't know anyone who runs a coffee shop.

> Ask Ditting Switzerland -- it's their text. See the quotation marks? Or
> are you being intentionally obtuse?

You're out of line, pal! Jill is never *intentionally* obtuse!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various
> brewing methods and filters:
>
> "Suggested Settings
>
> These are the factory suggested settings.
> Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.
>
> 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"
>
> -- Larry

I think the above is accepted and conventional wisdom on this subject,
and I have no reason to disagree. Turkish coffee dissolves in water and
you want the finest grind for that, espresso comes next, then paper and
then metal filters. A French Press, again because of the way the
brewing process works there, works best with a course grind. I don't
think you'll find many people disagree with the list you posted.

I have no idea Melitta is, and I have never used a percolator, but I've
made all the others at home.

In fact, my wife just picked up a French Press yesterday and we're going
to try it this morning - it worked very well yesterday afternoon with
loose tea and we had a lovely pot of English Breakfast. Today it will
be used for coffee, ground with our inexpensive blade/spice grinder, and
we'll see how that works. It won't be according to the spec above, but
if the worst of it is that we end up with "mud" in the bottom of our
coffee cups, that'll be fine with me.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 7:56*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various
> > brewing methods and filters:

> > "Suggested Settings

> > These are the factory suggested settings.
> > Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.

> > 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> > 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> > 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> > 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> > 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> > 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> > 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"

> > -- Larry

> ... *Turkish coffee dissolves in water and
> you want the finest grind for that, espresso comes next, then paper and
> then metal filters. *A French Press, again because of the way the
> brewing process works there, works best with a course grind. *I don't
> think you'll find many people disagree with the list you posted.

Turkish coffee* doesn't dissolve. You just drink the grinds. Let it
sit in a glass cup and you will see the mud collect at the bottom.

> I have no idea Melitta is, and I have never used a percolator, but I've
> made all the others at home.

Melitta is a brand. The Melitta referred to above is a coffee maker
(electric or stove-top) that uses paper filters. That's what I was
questioning. http://tinyurl.com/cg9xg29

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:32:52 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>>> Whose customers? I don't know anyone who runs a coffee shop.

>> Ask Ditting Switzerland -- it's their text. See the quotation marks? Or
>> are you being intentionally obtuse?

>You're out of line, pal! Jill is never *intentionally* obtuse!

Yeah, well, I'm grumpy, what with turning 65, the clocks changing and the
temperature falling. 8;(

-- Larry (considering hibernation)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins > wrote:

>I'm a little confused about Melitta vs. paper filters. They're both
>paper, no?

Yep

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:27:35 -0800 (PST), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> Melitta is a brand. The Melitta referred to above is a coffee maker
> (electric or stove-top) that uses paper filters. That's what I was
> questioning. http://tinyurl.com/cg9xg29

I'm dating myself now. When people say Melitta, the first thing that
crosses my mind is the old fashioned cone with paper filter you'd pour
water in to drip coffee into a carafe (I had the one cup version too).
The next thought would be Melitta as a brand of paper filter and after
reading the context, maybe an electric coffee maker - but it's always
the last image that comes to me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 08:27:35 -0800 (PST), Jerry Avins >

>> Melitta is a brand. The Melitta referred to above is a coffee maker
>> (electric or stove-top) that uses paper filters. That's what I was
>> questioning. http://tinyurl.com/cg9xg29

>I'm dating myself now. When people say Melitta, the first thing that
>crosses my mind is the old fashioned cone with paper filter you'd pour
>water in to drip coffee into a carafe (I had the one cup version too).
>The next thought would be Melitta as a brand of paper filter and after
>reading the context, maybe an electric coffee maker - but it's always
>the last image that comes to me.

If I had to unpack "Melitta filters" vs. "paper filters", I might
guess that Melitta means cone-shaped paper filters, so by process
of elimination "paper filters" must mean basket-shaped paper filters.

I still use a Melitta cone. On my list of things to acquire is
a glass or ceramic cone that's the same size/shape. I did find
one possibility, but it was so heavy I deemed it would make my filter
setup too unstable (too top-heavy; don't want to smash another carafe).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 2:05*pm, wrote:
> Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various brewing methods
> and filters:
>
> "Suggested Settings
>
> These are the factory suggested settings.
> Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.
>
> 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"
>
> -- Larry

Lacking any knowledge about Ditting, who or what they are, I guess my
French press method dictates that I jus' keep it on the coarser side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:

>> ... Turkish coffee dissolves in water and
>> you want the finest grind for that, espresso comes next, then paper
>> and then metal filters. A French Press, again because of the way the
>> brewing process works there, works best with a course grind. I don't
>> think you'll find many people disagree with the list you posted.

> Turkish coffee* doesn't dissolve. You just drink the grinds. Let it
> sit in a glass cup and you will see the mud collect at the bottom.

No, you don't drink the grounds (not grinds). You stop before you get
to them. Yes, they're in the bottom of the cup; no, don't drink them,
please.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bull > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Jerry Avins > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 5, 3:05*pm, wrote:
> > > Here are the coffe particle sizes Ditting recommends for various brewing
> > > methods
> > > and filters:
> > >
> > > "Suggested Settings
> > >
> > > These are the factory suggested settings.
> > > Your customers' preferences may vary slightly.
> > >
> > > 1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
> > > 3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
> > > 5 -- Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
> > > 6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
> > > 7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
> > > 8 -- Percolator (approx. 800 microns)
> > > 9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)"

> > I'm a little confused about Melitta vs. paper filters. They're both
> > paper, no?

> I am pretty sure that a Melitta coffee maker will use a Melitta paper
> filer or any other brand paper filter. If you have a microscope and can
> see a micron - you will need a ruler in microns to determine the size -
> no?

Melitta filters are a little expensive. We mostly use an automatic drip
coffee maker, so we buy basket filters in huge quantities from Costco.
I learned how to fold cone filters in chemistry class, from plain paper
circles. To use a normal basket filter for a 2 cup Melitta cone, you
don't need to smooth out the folds. Just fold the filter in half, and
then half again. Then grab the closest paper layer and separate it from
the other three layers.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:51:27 -0800 (PST), Kalmia > wrote:

>Lacking any knowledge about Ditting, who or what they are, I guess my
>French press method dictates that I jus' keep it on the coarser side.

Since several people have said this or similar: Ditting is a Swiss company that
makes some of the best commercial and industrial coffee mills in existence-- the
two-foot tall type you find in supermarkets or serious coffee shops.

Their products can be seen at http://www.ditting.com/retail_grinders.htm.

Mine is the KR804 (second from the left). In the shot of my kitchen at
http://www.xhost.org/images/kitchen.jpg, it's at the extreme right in the bay
window.

I've had it about ten years; it's output now is indistinguishable from the day
it arrived, and it has been maintenance-free. It's quite possibly the best
machine of any type I've ever owned.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 12:09:49 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> We mostly use an automatic drip
> coffee maker, so we buy basket filters in huge quantities from Costco.
> I learned how to fold cone filters in chemistry class, from plain paper
> circles. To use a normal basket filter for a 2 cup Melitta cone, you
> don't need to smooth out the folds. Just fold the filter in half, and
> then half again. Then grab the closest paper layer and separate it from
> the other three layers.

Clever! You turned chemistry origami into coffee origami.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Since several people have said this or similar: Ditting is a Swiss
> company that makes some of the best commercial and industrial coffee
> mills in existence-- the two-foot tall type you find in supermarkets
> or serious coffee shops.
>
> Their products can be seen at

http://www.ditting.com/retail_grinders.htm.

Those are _expensive_ - used, they go for $1000 or more on ebay. I'd
think a good, consumer grinder for $150 would suffice for most of us.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:31:13 -0500, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

>> Since several people have said this or similar: Ditting is a Swiss
>> company that makes some of the best commercial and industrial coffee
>> mills in existence-- the two-foot tall type you find in supermarkets
>> or serious coffee shops.
>>
>> Their products can be seen at
>> http://www.ditting.com/retail_grinders.htm.

>Those are _expensive_ - used, they go for $1000 or more on ebay. I'd
>think a good, consumer grinder for $150 would suffice for most of us.

It would indeed. The Ditting is probably the greatest extravagance of my life,
apart from two wives, and, unlike the first of them, I don't regret it a bit.
8

-- Larry (note: race cars and motorcycles are not an extravagance)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2011 10:31 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Since several people have said this or similar: Ditting is a Swiss
>> company that makes some of the best commercial and industrial coffee
>> mills in existence-- the two-foot tall type you find in supermarkets
>> or serious coffee shops.
>>
>> Their products can be seen at

http://www.ditting.com/retail_grinders.htm.

> Those are _expensive_ - used, they go for $1000 or more on ebay. I'd
> think a good, consumer grinder for $150 would suffice for most of us.

\\
A good consumer coffee grinder from Cuisinart that cost me $20 suffices
for me :-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 7, 9:55*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 11/7/2011 10:31 AM, Steve Freides wrote:> wrote:
>
> >> Since several people have said this or similar: Ditting is a Swiss
> >> company that makes some of the best commercial and industrial coffee
> >> mills in existence-- the two-foot tall type you find in supermarkets
> >> or serious coffee shops.

> >> Their products can be seen at
> >>http://www.ditting.com/retail_grinders.htm.

> > Those are _expensive_ - used, they go for $1000 or more on ebay. *I'd
> > think a good, consumer grinder for $150 would suffice for most of us.

> \\
> A good consumer coffee grinder from Cuisinart that cost me $20 suffices
> for me :-)
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

Grinder or slicer? I have a $30 Black and Decker *grinder* that's
working for me right now.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2011 11:01 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> Grinder or slicer? I have a $30 Black and Decker *grinder* that's
> working for me right now.

I'm not going to rehash the arguments about names but all methods of
breaking up coffee beans for extraction are "grinders" to me, whether
they use rotating blades or mills. Is the B&D machine a mill?
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:55:52 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> A good consumer coffee grinder from Cuisinart that cost me $20 suffices
> for me :-)

I'm with you.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 08:01:33 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Grinder or slicer? I have a $30 Black and Decker *grinder* that's
> working for me right now.

It's a whirly gig. I have one that slices (but I say it flakes the
bean), so I know the visual difference.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:08:54 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 11/7/2011 11:01 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>

> > Grinder or slicer? I have a $30 Black and Decker *grinder* that's
> > working for me right now.

> I'm not going to rehash the arguments about names but all methods of
> breaking up coffee beans for extraction are "grinders" to me, whether
> they use rotating blades or mills. Is the B&D machine a mill?

or did you mean to ask if it's a burr grinder?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2011 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:08:54 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2011 11:01 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>

>>> Grinder or slicer? I have a $30 Black and Decker *grinder* that's
>>> working for me right now.

>> I'm not going to rehash the arguments about names but all methods of
>> breaking up coffee beans for extraction are "grinders" to me, whether
>> they use rotating blades or mills. Is the B&D machine a mill?

> or did you mean to ask if it's a burr grinder?

I give up on names! There seem to be really two types of grinder, one
involving a rapidly rotating blade and the other flat disks that crush
the beans as in a flour mill.

I have 2 blade grinders and the one I keep for spices does a pretty good
job of pulverizing. A common use for me is to powder roasted cumin seeds
since powdered cumin loses its taste fairly quickly.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*