Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are you ever tempted to throttle someone?

I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
and a muffin, as I do several days each week. They have great coffee
and good muffins, but they are not known for speed, and I am not usually
in a hurry.

When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
looking at the gift items. The girl at the counter was making up some
special teas, which I assumed were for the women ahead of me at the
counter.

As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Life's too short to let that rile you. I hope your day improved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 6:56*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
> and a muffin, as I do several days each week. *They have great coffee
> and good muffins, but they are not known for speed, and I am not usually
> in a hurry.
>
> When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
> other women, *a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
> looking at the gift items. *The girl at the counter was making up some
> special teas, which I assumed were for the women ahead of me at the
> counter.
>
> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
> slowly returned to the counter. *The counter girl asked if they wanted
> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

I would have been tempted to ask for my coffee and muffin while she
was mulling over the choices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/11/2011 8:23 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

>> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
>> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
>> slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
>> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
>> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
>> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
>> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
>> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

> I would have been tempted to ask for my coffee and muffin while she
> was mulling over the choices.

There were still the two women in front of me. But FWIW... one day last
week there was someone dallying over their order and the girl asked if I
wanted the usual and went ahead and served me while she was making up
her mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2011 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
>

> When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
> other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
> looking at the gift items.

> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
> slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

Stupid or inconsiderate/self centered. it all amounts to the same level
of frustrating. "This, too, shall pass" is a good mantra when faced
with buttheads like that.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2011 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
>>

>> When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
>> other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
>> looking at the gift items.

>> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
>> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
>> slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
>> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
>> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
>> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
>> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
>> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

> Stupid or inconsiderate/self centered. it all amounts to the same level of
> frustrating. "This, too, shall pass" is a good mantra when faced
> with buttheads like that.
>
> gloria p

I wanted to see if my prescription was cheaper at Wallymart. It wasn't.
But here's the local drill. There is a long, long line of folks winding
back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward at
the end. Maybe you do get to scream. That line is for people who hope to
pick up a prescription. There's another place to turn in the prescription.
It is occupied by the most pompous a$$ of a woman I ever encountered. She
has a computer screen with its back to the customers. For all I know she
was sending email to her friend (as if). There's a red tape applied to the
floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription unless
the customer stands behind the red line and awaits her invitation to come
forward and she took her own sweet time to be bothered.
Two hours later, I came back to pick up my pills. While I endured the
pick-up line I fixed my most hostile stare on her; she couldn't help but
feel it. I also noticed that her preferred customers were not commanded to
stand away until invited. If I HAD to go back, I'd bring a camera and
record her performance. Mr. Wally might enjoy seeing it. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 7:56*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
> slowly returned to the counter. *The counter girl asked if they wanted
> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

I usually hold my tongue in public but do occasional make meek
hints of displeasure such as a slowly shaking head with a grimacing
face aboard, or even light moans or groans of disgust. I think a
really good counter person who knows you and what you normally get
would look to you and quickly ask, "The usual?" Back when I drove cab
5 days a week I had one medium coffee per day from Dunkin Donuts. I
love their coffee, with cream only, which is good fatty stuff, not the
half and half. Anyway, I used to go in for pretty much the same thing
every day. One day I was behind a group of inconsiderate people who
couldn't make up their minds, and the counter person looked beyond
them to me and I said, "The usual", which was the coffee with cream
only, and then added, "and a plain old fashioned donut." I began
tipping her from that point. Nothing great, just a keep the change
kind of thing. I never forced her into it or said anything, she knew
how to work it. Those people in front of you were inconsiderate, but
if the person behind the counter knows you and your order is small and
quick, then I think if they're any good at what they do they should be
able to get your quick order while those in front of you are
dawdling. But because I am wimpy about such matters and wish to show
no disrespect to any worker, especially those who make little money, I
would not go out of my way to complain or say anything. That person
behind the counter who worked me in that day was operating the same
way I would if I were doing the job.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 8:30*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> There were still the two women in front of me. But FWIW... one day last
> week there was someone dallying over their order and the girl asked if I
> wanted the usual and went ahead and served me while she was making up
> her mind.

Ok, sorry, didn't see this one, responded only to your first
one. So you too have experienced the good side of the fast food way
of life. I guess I wasn't telling you anything you don't already
know. I'm not Mr. Impatient, but I really think at certain stores
there should be separate aisles, like one for just paying gas, and
definitely one that is only for buying or cashing in lottery tickets.
Waiting in line is funny. Ever check the lines at the super market
wondering which one might get you through the fastest - or if not the
fastest, the easiest at least? So you pick the one you think fits
that descrption, maybe because there's only person in front of you but
the other aisles are way more packed. But you just happen to get
behind someone with coupons or a card that requires the checkout
person to get on the microphone and call in the manager who is busy
somewhere else and you wind up in the shorter line longer than anyone
in the longer ones. I love that one.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Two hours later, I came back to pick up my pills. While I endured the
> pick-up line I fixed my most hostile stare on her; she couldn't help but
> feel it. I also noticed that her preferred customers were not commanded to
> stand away until invited. If I HAD to go back, I'd bring a camera and
> record her performance. Mr. Wally might enjoy seeing it. Polly

From what I've read about him, he would be absolutely appalled.

sf - not a Walmart fan.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...

> I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
> and a muffin, as I do several days each week. They have great coffee and
> good muffins, but they are not known for speed, and I am not usually in a
> hurry.
>
> When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
> other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
> looking at the gift items. The girl at the counter was making up some
> special teas, which I assumed were for the women ahead of me at the
> counter.
>
> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
> slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry, decided
> she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the wall that
> she could have been looking at while the girl was making their teas, she
> has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

There are many people in this world who are so self obsessed as to be
unconsciously rude and inconsiderate of others. Unfortunately it is a fact
of life. Just be thankful you don't have to either live with or have a
relative who are like that.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Polly Esther" > wrote:

> I wanted to see if my prescription was cheaper at Wallymart. It wasn't.

[sad story deleted]

> If I HAD to go back, I'd bring a camera and
> record her performance. Mr. Wally might enjoy seeing it. Polly

Mr. Wally is dead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Walton

"Samuel Moore "Sam" Walton (March 29, 1918 * April 5, 1992) was a
businessman, entrepreneur, and Eagle Scout born in Kingfisher, Oklahoma
best known for founding the retailers Wal-Mart and Sam's Club."

He was a firm believer in buying American.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri replied to Dave Smith:

> There are many people in this world who are so self obsessed as to be
> unconsciously rude and inconsiderate of others. Unfortunately it is a fact
> of life. Just be thankful you don't have to either live with or have a
> relative who are like that.

Have you never read Dave's stories about his relatives?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> On 11/4/2011 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
>>>

>>> When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
>>> other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
>>> looking at the gift items.

>>> As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
>>> mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
>>> slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
>>> anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
>>> is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
>>> decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
>>> wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
>>> teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

>> Stupid or inconsiderate/self centered. it all amounts to the same level
>> of frustrating. "This, too, shall pass" is a good mantra when faced
>> with buttheads like that.
>>
>> gloria p

> I wanted to see if my prescription was cheaper at Wallymart. It wasn't.
> But here's the local drill. There is a long, long line of folks winding
> back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward
> at the end. Maybe you do get to scream. That line is for people who hope
> to pick up a prescription. There's another place to turn in the
> prescription. It is occupied by the most pompous a$$ of a woman I ever
> encountered. She has a computer screen with its back to the customers.
> For all I know she was sending email to her friend (as if). There's a red
> tape applied to the floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept
> a prescription unless the customer stands behind the red line and awaits
> her invitation to come forward and she took her own sweet time to be
> bothered.
> Two hours later, I came back to pick up my pills. While I endured the
> pick-up line I fixed my most hostile stare on her; she couldn't help but
> feel it. I also noticed that her preferred customers were not commanded
> to stand away until invited. If I HAD to go back, I'd bring a camera
> and record her performance. Mr. Wally might enjoy seeing it. Polly

You could complain to the store manager and invite him to watch.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 10:47*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 8:30*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > There were still the two women in front of me. But FWIW... one day last
> > week there was someone dallying over their order and the girl asked if I
> > wanted the usual and went ahead and served me while she was making up
> > her mind.

> * * *Ok, sorry, didn't see this one, responded only to your first
> one. *So you too have experienced the good side of the fast food way
> of life. *I guess I wasn't telling you anything you don't already
> know. *I'm not Mr. Impatient, but I really think at certain stores
> there should be separate aisles, like one for just paying gas, and
> definitely one that is only for buying or cashing in lottery tickets.
> Waiting in line is funny. *Ever check the lines at the super market
> wondering which one might get you through the fastest - or if not the
> fastest, the easiest at least? *So you pick the one you think fits
> that descrption, maybe because there's only person in front of you but
> the other aisles are way more packed. *But you just happen to get
> behind someone with coupons or a card that requires the checkout
> person to get on the microphone and call in the manager who is busy
> somewhere else and you wind up in the shorter line longer than anyone
> in the longer ones. *I love that one.

I repeatedly insulted the piece of human refuse that was in front of
me in
the line at Aldi a few days ago. She did everything she could do to
be slow.
I guess she was trying to prolong her face time with normal humans.

> TJ

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 6:07*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 10:47*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 4, 8:30*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> > > There were still the two women in front of me. But FWIW... one day last
> > > week there was someone dallying over their order and the girl asked if I
> > > wanted the usual and went ahead and served me while she was making up
> > > her mind.

> > * * *Ok, sorry, didn't see this one, responded only to your first
> > one. *So you too have experienced the good side of the fast food way
> > of life. *I guess I wasn't telling you anything you don't already
> > know. *I'm not Mr. Impatient, but I really think at certain stores
> > there should be separate aisles, like one for just paying gas, and
> > definitely one that is only for buying or cashing in lottery tickets.
> > Waiting in line is funny. *Ever check the lines at the super market
> > wondering which one might get you through the fastest - or if not the
> > fastest, the easiest at least? *So you pick the one you think fits
> > that descrption, maybe because there's only person in front of you but
> > the other aisles are way more packed. *But you just happen to get
> > behind someone with coupons or a card that requires the checkout
> > person to get on the microphone and call in the manager who is busy
> > somewhere else and you wind up in the shorter line longer than anyone
> > in the longer ones. *I love that one.

> I repeatedly insulted the piece of human refuse that was in front of
> me in
> the line at Aldi a few days ago. *She did everything she could do to
> be slow.
> I guess she was trying to prolong her face time with normal humans.
>

> > TJ

> --Bryan

Some people just love to be the center of attention. I can remember
first noticing this with a girl in grade school who would always dilly
dally, waste time and play dumb when she was called on to do something
in front of class on the blackboard. Becky was her first name, and I
always dreaded when a teacher called on her to do something at the
'board" like an arithmetic problem or something. I wanted to tell her
"Just do the problem and sit down, dammit!"

Notoriety is better than anonymity, after all!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:
snip
There's a red tape applied to the
>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription unless
>the customer stands behind the red linesnip

That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
> snip
> There's a red tape applied to the
>>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription
>>unless
>>the customer stands behind the red line

> That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
> to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
> Janet US

BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:36:39 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> There's a red tape applied to the
>>>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription
>>>unless
>>>the customer stands behind the red line

>> That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
>> to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
>> Janet US

>BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
>to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

I've never thought about it.
The line/sign is there and I honor it. It's like the stop light at
the corner, there is no car coming but I still don't cross against
light. It doesn't matter to me where I wait.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> There's a red tape applied to the
>>>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription
>>>unless
>>>the customer stands behind the red line

>> That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
>> to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
>> Janet US

> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
> to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
long line of folks winding
back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward at
the end. Maybe you do get to scream."

For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program for
generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I got
out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an antibiotic
immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I had
previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them call
in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood on
line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't shop
at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything go
to hell.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:36:39 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:
> > snip
> > There's a red tape applied to the
> >>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription
> >>unless
> >>the customer stands behind the red line

> > That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
> > to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
> > Janet US

> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
> to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

That's what they call a petty tyrant.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:56:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I went to the corner bakery/coffee/ gift shop this morning for a coffee
>and a muffin, as I do several days each week. They have great coffee
>and good muffins, but they are not known for speed, and I am not usually
>in a hurry.
>
>When I went up to the counter there were two women ahead of me and two
>other women, a older woman and her daughter <?>, were walking around
>looking at the gift items. The girl at the counter was making up some
>special teas, which I assumed were for the women ahead of me at the
>counter.
>
>As it turned out, when the teas were finally ready, they were for the
>mother daughter who are wandering around, so we had to wait while they
>slowly returned to the counter. The counter girl asked if they wanted
>anything else. Mother said of course and ordered a brownie. The daughter
>is hemming and hawing and, after her mother pressed her to hurry,
>decided she wanted a sandwich. Despite there being a menu mounted on the
>wall that she could have been looking at while the girl was making their
>teas, she has to asked what kind of sandwiches there are.

A couple months ago I was in line and there were four drunks together
all with separate orders. There were a total cluster **** trying to
figure out who had enough money on their food stamp card and who had
the money for the liquor. They had a big pile of change on the
counter they were picking through. When it seemed they were finally
near the end of the insanity and one showed up with a bottle of vodka
and I went off like a cannon. By this time there was like 10 people
in line and I told him to go to the back of the line like everyone
else. He went to the back of the line and the other drunks finished
up and walked away leaving their purchases on the counter.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:
>"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
>>>
>>> There's a red tape applied to the
>>>
>>> That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
>>> to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
>>> Janet US

>> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
>> to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

>That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
>long line of folks winding
>back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward at
>the end. Maybe you do get to scream."
>
>For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program for
>generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I got
>out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an antibiotic
>immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I had
>previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them call
>in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood on
>line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't shop
>at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything go
>to hell.

That doesn't sound right. I fill Rx drugs at Walmart often, even some
of my cat's Rx meds, and I have never had to wait more than a few
minutes and the price is far less than anywhere else... a 30 day
supply is $4... a 90 day supply is $10. I phone in my refills and
they are waiting for me to pick up. If your doctor phones in a new Rx
your meds will be ready for you to pick up, no waiting. I wish I
could fill all my cat's Rx meds at Walmart, they're four times less
than at the vet... I buy Blackie's insulin syringes at Walmart, less
than $25/100, at the vet they are $130 and not nearly as good a
quality. Blackie started out on human insulin, was also about $25 at
Walmart, but now he has to be on cat insulin, $130 at the vet. I'm
sure the vet is a rip off.
http://www.walmart.com/cp/PI-4-Prescriptions/1078664
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2011 1:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
anet US

>> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for
>> me to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

> That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
> long line of folks winding
> back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward at
> the end. Maybe you do get to scream."

Actually, she did say it. The long line was for people picking up
prescriptions. There was another one for dropping them off, and that is
where the red line queen held court.

> For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program
> for generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage.
> After I got out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start
> taking an antibiotic immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this
> drug was on the list I had previously read of drugs eligible for this
> antibiotic so I I had them call in the prescription to the Wal*Mart
> pharmacy. I went over there, stood on line for what felt like hours and
> the charge was close to $50. I don't shop at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton
> died his greedy kids have let everything go to hell.

I go to a local independent pharmacist. I never have to wait more than a
minute or two. If someone is there ahead of me and the girl on the
counter is buys with that person, someone else comes over to help. The
same happens when I pick things up. If there is someone else being
waited on, another on of the staff will drop what they are doing and
come and bring me the prescription. They always go through things to
make sure I am aware of any warnings and possible side effects. The
pharmacist also sometimes calls to see if the prescription is working.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2011 12:36 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for
> me to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

That ranks right up there with having to go through the line contol
barriers when there is no line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:36:39 AM UTC-6, Polly Esther wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:28:19 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:
> > snip
> > There's a red tape applied to the
> >>floor about 6 feet away from her. She will Not accept a prescription
> >>unless
> >>the customer stands behind the red line

> > That's the standard setup here. It's for privacy reasons to allow you
> > to discuss your issues without embarrassment.
> > Janet US

> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for me
> to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

Perhaps your perfume was gagging her...well, one never knows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote:

>>> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for
>>> me
>>> to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

>>That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
>>long line of folks winding
>>back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward
>>at
>>the end. Maybe you do get to scream."
>>
>>For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program for
>>generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I
>>got
>>out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an
>>antibiotic
>>immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I
>>had
>>previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them call
>>in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood on
>>line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't
>>shop
>>at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything go
>>to hell.

> That doesn't sound right. I fill Rx drugs at Walmart often, even some
> of my cat's Rx meds, and I have never had to wait more than a few
> minutes and the price is far less than anywhere else... a 30 day
> supply is $4... a 90 day supply is $10.

(snippage)

It may not sound right to you, but this wasn't a 24/7 WalMart. I was
standing in line waiting to have my prescription filled. The pharmacy
closes at 7PM. And they didn't charge me $3 or $4. I remember this very
clearly because my mother didn't want me to drive over there to get a
prescription filled but the doctor insisted I start taking it the minute I
got home. What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 05/11/2011 1:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> anet US
>>>
>>> BUT there was no one ahead of me or behind me. There was no reason for
>>> me to go 'stand away' except she had to show her authority. Polly

>> That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
>> long line of folks winding
>> back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward
>> at
>> the end. Maybe you do get to scream."

> Actually, she did say it. The long line was for people picking up
> prescriptions. There was another one for dropping them off, and that is
> where the red line queen held court.

Ah, then I misread and I apologize. My experience was it took forever just
to stand in line to hand in the prescription. Then, of course, you had to
wait to get it filled. I'd rather go to Walgreens or CVS, thank you.

Jill

>> For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program
>> for generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage.
>> After I got out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start
>> taking an antibiotic immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this
>> drug was on the list I had previously read of drugs eligible for this
>> antibiotic so I I had them call in the prescription to the Wal*Mart
>> pharmacy. I went over there, stood on line for what felt like hours and
>> the charge was close to $50. I don't shop at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton
>> died his greedy kids have let everything go to hell.
>>

> I go to a local independent pharmacist. I never have to wait more than a
> minute or two. If someone is there ahead of me and the girl on the counter
> is buys with that person, someone else comes over to help. The same
> happens when I pick things up. If there is someone else being waited on,
> another on of the staff will drop what they are doing and come and bring
> me the prescription. They always go through things to make sure I am aware
> of any warnings and possible side effects. The pharmacist also sometimes
> calls to see if the prescription is working.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

You must be in a red state. My hospital has a pharmacy.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >

>> What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

>You must be in a red state. My hospital has a pharmacy.

Interestingly, as of around one month ago, the main Kaiser hospital
building in Oakland no longer has an outpatient pharmacy. Now the
only publically-accessiable pharmacy in the hospital building is the
discharge pharmacy.

(There are at least three outpatient pharmacies in the same building
complex though, so this closure has no pratical significance.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

>>>That's not what you said in your first post. You said, "There is a long,
>>>long line of folks winding
>>>back and around like at Disneyworld but there's no roller coaster reward
>>>at
>>>the end. Maybe you do get to scream."
>>>
>>>For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program for
>>>generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I
>>>got
>>>out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an
>>>antibiotic
>>>immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I
>>>had
>>>previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them call
>>>in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood on
>>>line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't
>>>shop
>>>at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything go
>>>to hell.

>> That doesn't sound right. I fill Rx drugs at Walmart often, even some
>> of my cat's Rx meds, and I have never had to wait more than a few
>> minutes and the price is far less than anywhere else... a 30 day
>> supply is $4... a 90 day supply is $10.

>(snippage)
>
>It may not sound right to you, but this wasn't a 24/7 WalMart. I was
>standing in line waiting to have my prescription filled. The pharmacy
>closes at 7PM. And they didn't charge me $3 or $4. I remember this very
>clearly because my mother didn't want me to drive over there to get a
>prescription filled but the doctor insisted I start taking it the minute I
>got home. What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

Hospitals do have pharmacies, but for their patients... and they bill
their patients far more than the corner drug store. Meds in hospitals
are very expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2011 9:00 PM, Dan Abel wrote:
though, so this closure has no pratical significance.)

> I'm not sure what that means, but whatever. A very minor irritation I
> have with Kaiser, is that wherever you pick up your discharge
> medications when you leave the hospital, seems to become your default
> pharmacy. I had surgery two years ago, and although I've seen many
> doctors since then and filled many prescriptions, when a doctor recently
> wrote a prescription based on some tests, the prescription was sent to
> the hospital pharmacy, which is far, far away, through bad traffic and
> with bad parking. It was easy to transfer the prescription, but it just
> seems odd.

When I was discharged from the hospital after surgery last year I had a
consultation with the hospital pharmacist. I had a list of a half dozen
medications including warfarin, and I had to inject warfarin using
single using single use hypodermics. She knew that they carried them at
the drug store across the street from the hospital but we called our
local pharmacy and they were able to order them and have them there for
me within a few hours, so the prescriptions were all faxed to my local guy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

>A very minor irritation I
>have with Kaiser, is that wherever you pick up your discharge
>medications when you leave the hospital, seems to become your default
>pharmacy. I had surgery two years ago, and although I've seen many
>doctors since then and filled many prescriptions, when a doctor recently
>wrote a prescription based on some tests, the prescription was sent to
>the hospital pharmacy, which is far, far away, through bad traffic and
>with bad parking. It was easy to transfer the prescription, but it just
>seems odd.

Right. A Kaiser doctor, if he/she is good, will always ask which pharmacy
you want a doctor-ordered prescription sent to.

(For web refills, it's not a problem, so it only tends to apply
for an initial prescription.)

It's a little bit burdensome for the doctors to have to remember
to do this.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:43:24 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>"jmcquown" wrote:

>>For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program for
>>generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I got
>>out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an antibiotic
>>immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I had
>>previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them call
>>in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood on
>>line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't shop
>>at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything go
>>to hell.

>That doesn't sound right. I fill Rx drugs at Walmart often, even some
>of my cat's Rx meds, and I have never had to wait more than a few
>minutes and the price is far less than anywhere else... a 30 day
>supply is $4... a 90 day supply is $10.

Depends on the drug. My grandson had a few filled at WalMart and some
of the antibiotics are pricey with no insurance.

I get my drugs at Stop & Shop. Some antibiotics are free. Last one
my wife got though, would have been over $100 if we had no insurance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:11:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>> What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

>You must be in a red state. My hospital has a pharmacy.

Every hospital has a pharmacy. They won't sell you drugs though. Of
the six or so hospitals I'm familiar with you won't get an aspirin
unless you are an in-patient. (that is in two blue states too)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Man, just the subject line really cheeses me off, dammit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:43:24 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>"jmcquown" wrote:

>>>For a long time Wal*Mart advertised their $3 prescription drug program
>>>for
>>>generic equivalents for people who don't have Rx drug coverage. After I
>>>got
>>>out of the hospital in 2008 my doctor insisted I start taking an
>>>antibiotic
>>>immediately, as soon as I got home. I knew this drug was on the list I
>>>had
>>>previously read of drugs eligible for this antibiotic so I I had them
>>>call
>>>in the prescription to the Wal*Mart pharmacy. I went over there, stood
>>>on
>>>line for what felt like hours and the charge was close to $50. I don't
>>>shop
>>>at Wal*Mart. Since Sam Walton died his greedy kids have let everything
>>>go
>>>to hell.

>>That doesn't sound right. I fill Rx drugs at Walmart often, even some
>>of my cat's Rx meds, and I have never had to wait more than a few
>>minutes and the price is far less than anywhere else... a 30 day
>>supply is $4... a 90 day supply is $10.

> Depends on the drug. My grandson had a few filled at WalMart and some
> of the antibiotics are pricey with no insurance.
>
> I get my drugs at Stop & Shop. Some antibiotics are free. Last one
> my wife got though, would have been over $100 if we had no insurance.

My prescription was $270 - which is why our local sheriff won't arrest me
unless I do something truly heinous with reliable witnesses and camcorder.
He just can't afford to house me. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >

>>> What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

>>You must be in a red state. My hospital has a pharmacy.

> Interestingly, as of around one month ago, the main Kaiser hospital
> building in Oakland no longer has an outpatient pharmacy. Now the
> only publically-accessiable pharmacy in the hospital building is the
> discharge pharmacy.
>
> (There are at least three outpatient pharmacies in the same building
> complex though, so this closure has no pratical significance.)
>

> Steve

They didn't even have a discharge pharmacy. The doctor insisted I get this
prescription filled and the nurse told me to fill it on my way out. The
doctor said "I wish they'd stop telling people to do that. We don't have a
pharmacy anymore." Huh?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:11:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:53:05 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> What happened to the days when hospitals had pharmacies?

>>You must be in a red state. My hospital has a pharmacy.

> Every hospital has a pharmacy. They won't sell you drugs though. Of
> the six or so hospitals I'm familiar with you won't get an aspirin
> unless you are an in-patient. (that is in two blue states too)

Exactly! The hospitals dispense drugs to in-patients. Not to patients who
have checked out of the facility. For those you have to go to a drug store
or other places that have pharmacies.

Jill