Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default REC: Primal Moussaka

I'm eating "primal" as much as possible. Last week I saw a short
cut moussaka recipe in the New York Times where the author used mashed
potatoes instead of the bechamel for the topping for moussaka. A
light bulb went off in my head that I could use cauliflower puree.
So I came up with this recipe.

I made it over the weekend. OMG. This is really really good. It's
low carb, high protein and so very flavorful. It's good hot but it's
wonderful the next day as the flavors bloom.
And it's yummy cold.

Primal Moussaka

2 medium eggplant (about 2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes (I peeled
the eggplant in strips leaving about half the peel but you can peel it
or not to your taste).
handful of salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Large head of cauliflower washed and broken into florettes
2/3 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 T parsley flakes
2 large eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup feta crumbles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 pound ground lamb (or beef)
1 very large onion, finely chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. In a colander, toss the eggplant and 1 teaspoon salt. Drain in the
sink for 15 minutes.

2. Heat oven to 450 degrees Toss the eggplant with the oil and spread
on
a large oiled baking sheet. Roast, turning occasionally, until golden
and tender,
about 40 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees.

2. Bring 6 cups water, the cauliflower and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil
in a
large pot over high heat. Lower heat and simmer until cauliflower is
tender, about 20 minutes; drain, cool down a bit, (don't want the eggs
to scramble) and put cauliflower in a food processor with beaten eggs
and sour cream (or greek yogurt), cheese, butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt,
parsley and nutmeg. Pulse and run till pureed. Taste and adjust
seasonings if needed.

3. In a very large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the lamb,
breaking
it up with a fork as it cooks. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the
onions and cinnamon sticks to the skillet. Cook until the onions are
soft,
about 5 minutes. Stir the lamb back into the onions and add the
garlic,
parsley, marjoram and ground clove. Cook 2 minutes more. Stir in the
tomatoes, 1/2
teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and the
mixture
is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and stir in the
eggplant.

4. Spoon into a 9-inch baking dish. Spread the cauliflower mixture
over
the lamb. Sprinkle some feta on the top. Bake until top is golden
brown and slightly crusty, about 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before
serving.

Yield: 6 servings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> [...]

>breaking
>it up with a fork as it cooks. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the
>onions and cinnamon sticks to the skillet. Cook until the onions are
>soft,
>about 5 minutes. Stir the lamb back into the onions and add the
>garlic,
>parsley, marjoram and ground clove. Cook 2 minutes more. Stir in the
>tomatoes, 1/2
>teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and the
>mixture
>is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and stir in the
>eggplant.
>
>4. Spoon into a 9-inch baking dish. Spread the cauliflower mixture
>over
>the lamb. Sprinkle some feta on the top. Bake until top is golden
>brown and slightly crusty, about 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before

I wish you were here to fix it for me. It sounds like a lot of work
but it also sounds delicious and like something I would really like.
I've saved it and the idea. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 4, 8:08*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I wish you were here to fix it for me. *It sounds like a lot of work
> but it also sounds delicious and like something I would really like.
> I've saved it and the idea. *Thanks
> Janet US- Hide quoted text -

Not any more work than making 'regular' moussaka and tastes just as
good !!

I doubled the recipe and made a great big casserole dish full !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I'm eating "primal" as much as possible. Last week I saw a short
> cut moussaka recipe in the New York Times where the author used mashed
> potatoes instead of the bechamel for the topping for moussaka. A
> light bulb went off in my head that I could use cauliflower puree.
> So I came up with this recipe.
>
> I made it over the weekend. OMG. This is really really good. It's
> low carb, high protein and so very flavorful. It's good hot but it's
> wonderful the next day as the flavors bloom.
> And it's yummy cold.
>

> Primal Moussaka

<recipe snipped> Great! I'm going to try that soon. Not low
carbing, but love substituting cauliflower for mashed potatoes. Try
it on a pot pie or shepherd's pie sometime.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 4, 2:05*pm, sf > wrote:

> <recipe snipped> *Great! *I'm going to try that soon. *Not low
> carbing, but love substituting cauliflower for mashed potatoes. *Try
> it on a pot pie or shepherd's pie sometime.

Yup. Planning on it. I never was that big into cauliflower but since
I started making purees and adding different
things in it to change the flavors a bit I've become very fond of
it. I even make pizza crust and 'rice' out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 4, 3:15*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits >
wrote:

> * *I'm sure it tastes good. *Please don't call it moussaka, though. *;-)

Why not?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 4, 3:51*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 3:15*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits >
> wrote:
>

> > * *I'm sure it tastes good. *Please don't call it moussaka, though. *;-)

> Why not?

If the New York Times can call what they did moussaka, so can I !! ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Primal Moussaka

now this sounds good, especially with lamb, Lee
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> [...]
> breaking
> it up with a fork as it cooks. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the
> onions and cinnamon sticks to the skillet. Cook until the onions are
> soft,
> about 5 minutes. Stir the lamb back into the onions and add the
> garlic,
> parsley, marjoram and ground clove. Cook 2 minutes more. Stir in the
> tomatoes, 1/2
> teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and the
> mixture
> is thick, about 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and stir in the
> eggplant.
>
> 4. Spoon into a 9-inch baking dish. Spread the cauliflower mixture
> over
> the lamb. Sprinkle some feta on the top. Bake until top is golden
> brown and slightly crusty, about 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before

Salmon Patties Paleo/Primal Friendly koko General Cooking 98 13-01-2016 08:26 PM
Primal Moussaka Todd Diabetic 3 27-05-2014 02:34 PM
Do you poo poo a Paleo/Primal way of eating? ImStillMags General Cooking 0 19-02-2014 09:16 PM
Primal diet, where it goes wrong A Moose in Love General Cooking 38 21-11-2011 12:59 AM
the primal question Nonnymus[_5_] Barbecue 19 04-08-2008 11:37 PM