Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I got to visit a Publix

I've read about them here for years but never shopped at one. Last
week we went to the one in St. Pete Beach and I was pretty impressed.
We were there for 5 nights and the suite had a real fridge so we went
to get munchies, milk, coffee, etc. The selection of cheeses was
great. They had butterkase which is hard to kind even in Chicago. The
store was neat and clean and the people were very nice. I didn't look
at the meat and produce because that's not what we were shopping for.
The bill was $125 which is double what it would have been in Chicago
but it was still way cheaper than room service crap.

The younger daughter came from Seattle the second day and shared
another room with her sister. She had to pull an all nighter to
finish a paper for school to email in and she called at almost 2:00 am
starving. It was nice to have something for her to eat even though
the prices were very high.

Anyway, now when some of you mention Publix I know a little about the
store.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2011 4:44 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've read about them here for years but never shopped at one. Last
> week we went to the one in St. Pete Beach and I was pretty impressed.
> We were there for 5 nights and the suite had a real fridge so we went
> to get munchies, milk, coffee, etc. The selection of cheeses was
> great. They had butterkase which is hard to kind even in Chicago. The
> store was neat and clean and the people were very nice. I didn't look
> at the meat and produce because that's not what we were shopping for.
> The bill was $125 which is double what it would have been in Chicago
> but it was still way cheaper than room service crap.
>
> The younger daughter came from Seattle the second day and shared
> another room with her sister. She had to pull an all nighter to
> finish a paper for school to email in and she called at almost 2:00 am
> starving. It was nice to have something for her to eat even though
> the prices were very high.
>
> Anyway, now when some of you mention Publix I know a little about the
> store.
>
> Lou

When you get a chance, try their sandwiches. They make them to order
while you watch. When we are in Florida, we stop there in the morning
and get a couple of sandwiches and head to the beach. Excellent!

You are right about the prices. I would have liked to move to Florida
but the cost of living is crazy. Nice place to visit... but I can't
afford to live there.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:19:31 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 10/25/2011 4:44 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I've read about them here for years but never shopped at one. Last
>> week we went to the one in St. Pete Beach and I was pretty impressed.
>> We were there for 5 nights and the suite had a real fridge so we went
>> to get munchies, milk, coffee, etc. The selection of cheeses was
>> great. They had butterkase which is hard to kind even in Chicago. The
>> store was neat and clean and the people were very nice. I didn't look
>> at the meat and produce because that's not what we were shopping for.
>> The bill was $125 which is double what it would have been in Chicago
>> but it was still way cheaper than room service crap.
>>
>> The younger daughter came from Seattle the second day and shared
>> another room with her sister. She had to pull an all nighter to
>> finish a paper for school to email in and she called at almost 2:00 am
>> starving. It was nice to have something for her to eat even though
>> the prices were very high.
>>
>> Anyway, now when some of you mention Publix I know a little about the
>> store.
>>
>> Lou

>When you get a chance, try their sandwiches. They make them to order
>while you watch. When we are in Florida, we stop there in the morning
>and get a couple of sandwiches and head to the beach. Excellent!

I never thought of that but I doubt I'll be back down for awhile.

>You are right about the prices. I would have liked to move to Florida
>but the cost of living is crazy. Nice place to visit... but I can't
>afford to live there.

I've spent lots of time in Florida in years past and certainly enjoyed
the weather in the winter compared to Chicago but once you get away
from the beaches I find it a shit hole. People go there on holiday
and get all glossy-eyed and don't look at reality. Unless you go
there with a bunch of money or have a great job it's hard to live a
decent lifestyle.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2011 10:41 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> I've spent lots of time in Florida in years past and certainly enjoyed
> the weather in the winter compared to Chicago but once you get away
> from the beaches I find it a shit hole. People go there on holiday
> and get all glossy-eyed and don't look at reality. Unless you go
> there with a bunch of money or have a great job it's hard to live a
> decent lifestyle.
>
> Lou

We enjoy the warm weather in Florida, and I would love to live there,
but the cost of living is not favorable.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've read about them here for years but never shopped at one. Last
> week we went to the one in St. Pete Beach and I was pretty impressed.
> We were there for 5 nights ...

When I first read this I stopped reading at that point and pondered.
Maybe I could pull off staying at a Public for several days. ;^)

> and the suite had a real fridge so we went
> to get munchies, milk, coffee, etc.

In Chicago metro we now have Mariannos. There's one in Arlington
Heights in the NW burbs that reminds me of Publix. They have purchased
a corner in Wheaton that has an old high school and there's a sign that
says they will open in a year. To make it they better start the
demolition before the snow starts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:28:08 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 10/26/2011 10:41 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> I've spent lots of time in Florida in years past and certainly enjoyed
>> the weather in the winter compared to Chicago but once you get away
>> from the beaches I find it a shit hole. People go there on holiday
>> and get all glossy-eyed and don't look at reality. Unless you go
>> there with a bunch of money or have a great job it's hard to live a
>> decent lifestyle.
>>
>> Lou

>We enjoy the warm weather in Florida, and I would love to live there,
>but the cost of living is not favorable.

I don't like the heat. I wouldn't mind spending the winter months
down there but not in central Florida. Louise's sister lives in St
Pete Beach and the house isn't huge but it's very expensive. They
want to move to California but can't sell the house they have and
don't want to rent it out.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:39:29 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I've read about them here for years but never shopped at one. Last
>> week we went to the one in St. Pete Beach and I was pretty impressed.
>> We were there for 5 nights ...

>When I first read this I stopped reading at that point and pondered.
>Maybe I could pull off staying at a Public for several days. ;^)
>
>> and the suite had a real fridge so we went
>> to get munchies, milk, coffee, etc.

>In Chicago metro we now have Mariannos. There's one in Arlington
>Heights in the NW burbs that reminds me of Publix. They have purchased
>a corner in Wheaton that has an old high school and there's a sign that
>says they will open in a year. To make it they better start the
>demolition before the snow starts.

They're talking spring-summer 2013. Here's an article about it. They
stole that property. They are leaving the track and the field though.

<http://triblocal.com/wheaton/2011/07/01/developer-plans-to-build-marianos-grocery-in-downtown-wheaton/>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> When you get a chance, try their sandwiches. *They make them to order
> while you watch. *When we are in Florida, we stop there in the morning
> and get a couple of sandwiches and head to the beach. *Excellent!

I highly recommend the subs at Publix, in particular the Boar's Head
subs. When I shop at Publix I will just pick up the BOGO stuff they
have that I want along with a sub and any other unusual items that I
can't find at my regular grocer, and I pick up everything else at the
cheaper supermarket across the street to get everything else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:43:37 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

>> When you get a chance, try their sandwiches. *They make them to order
>> while you watch. *When we are in Florida, we stop there in the morning
>> and get a couple of sandwiches and head to the beach. *Excellent!
>>

>I highly recommend the subs at Publix, in particular the Boar's Head
>subs. When I shop at Publix I will just pick up the BOGO stuff they
>have that I want along with a sub and any other unusual items that I
>can't find at my regular grocer, and I pick up everything else at the
>cheaper supermarket across the street to get everything else.

So Publix prices aren't typical of the south? The deli counter was
double what I normally pay.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:43:37 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

>> When you get a chance, try their sandwiches. *They make them to order
>> while you watch. *When we are in Florida, we stop there in the morning
>> and get a couple of sandwiches and head to the beach. *Excellent!
>>

>I highly recommend the subs at Publix, in particular the Boar's Head
>subs. When I shop at Publix I will just pick up the BOGO stuff they
>have that I want along with a sub and any other unusual items that I
>can't find at my regular grocer, and I pick up everything else at the
>cheaper supermarket across the street to get everything else.

Well obviously it's the Boar's Head that makes the sandwiches better.
The stupidmarket deli here has a sign: "For Boar's Head add $1"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote

>>I highly recommend the subs at Publix, in particular the Boar's Head
>>subs.

> Well obviously it's the Boar's Head that makes the sandwiches better.
> The stupidmarket deli here has a sign: "For Boar's Head add $1"

IMO, they should give you a dollar off if you have to take the Boar's Head.
I think thee are better brands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:51:20 -0500, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>So Publix prices aren't typical of the south?

Publix prices are very competitive in the developed south. That is one of their
major business plan points. (My brother is a Publix executive.)

We visit Florida about six times a year, and find the food prices to be directly
comparable anywhere along the east coast from South Carolina to Miami -- which
is to say a little bit cheaper than we see in the mid-Atlantic.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 4:15*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:06:25 -0400, wrote:
> >On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:51:20 -0500, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >>So Publix prices aren't typical of the south?

> >Publix prices are very competitive in the developed south. That is one of their
> >major business plan points. (My brother is a Publix executive.)

> Interesting. *Do they vary by location? *I'd imagine the rent has to
> be very high at the St. Pete Beach store. *The prices were
> substantially higher than what I see in the Chicago burbs. *I was
> impressed with the store and it sure was nice to have it so close to
> the resort. *Pass the good review on to your brother if you will
> please. *I wish I had known about the sandwiches.

Lou, you're used to shopping at a deep discount place. How did the
prices at Publix compare to Jewel?

While Publix shoppers really like everything about their store as I
understand it, they are quite fond of the sandwiches.

> >We visit Florida about six times a year,

> I'm not a fan of Florida but I could get used to where we were.
> Central Forida from what I've seen isn't very nice. *My mom lived on a
> waterway that we could boat on to lake Kissimmee. *It was nice during
> the winter but the summer was not so much fun. *

Some 20 years ago, my mom's uncle retired to New Port Richey to live
near his stepson. But recently the whole family upped and moved to
Pennsylvania.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:30:38 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Oct 31, 4:15*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>> >Publix prices are very competitive in the developed south. That is one of their
>> >major business plan points. (My brother is a Publix executive.)

>> Interesting. *Do they vary by location? *I'd imagine the rent has to
>> be very high at the St. Pete Beach store. *The prices were
>> substantially higher than what I see in the Chicago burbs. *I was
>> impressed with the store and it sure was nice to have it so close to
>> the resort. *Pass the good review on to your brother if you will
>> please. *I wish I had known about the sandwiches.

>Lou, you're used to shopping at a deep discount place. How did the
>prices at Publix compare to Jewel?

Higher than jewel I think but I didn't care. I was just happy to be
able to stock up munchies for 5 nights. After reading here for years
I do realize I'm in a unique location for food shopping. You know
where I live and the choices around here. Seafood is the only thing
we're lacking.

>While Publix shoppers really like everything about their store as I
>understand it, they are quite fond of the sandwiches.

Sure! Rub it in because I didn't know about them. <G>

>> >We visit Florida about six times a year,

>> I'm not a fan of Florida but I could get used to where we were.
>> Central Forida from what I've seen isn't very nice. *My mom lived on a
>> waterway that we could boat on to lake Kissimmee. *It was nice during
>> the winter but the summer was not so much fun. *
>>

>Some 20 years ago, my mom's uncle retired to New Port Richey to live
>near his stepson. But recently the whole family upped and moved to
>Pennsylvania.

My mom just moved back but went a step further and moved 3 1/2 hours
north of here to Wisconsin. She was down there for 15+ years so I'm
not sure how she's going to like the winter.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 5:44*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:

> Anyway, now when some of you mention Publix I know a little about the
> store.

* *

I am not crazy about them, altho they do stock a few things the
competition doesn't. They still insist on packing produce in bunches
instead of letting you pick it piecemeal. The parking lot is laid
out crazy - the ceiling is high and it's noisy - little stuff like
that bugs me.

Some items are a lot higher than the comp too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Lou, you're used to shopping at a deep discount place. How did the
>prices at Publix compare to Jewel?

I don't know Jewel -- is that a regional store around Chicago? Analogous to Wal
Mart?

The supermarket business operates on extremely low pricing and profit margins,
typically in the 4% range. Publix, like all supermarkets, calculates their
overall pricing taking into account their published coupons. When people use
those coupons, Publix prices are carefully calculated to be within 1-2% of their
lowest-priced competition, which, in the very limited number of states in whcih
Publix is located, is Wal Mart.

>> I'm not a fan of Florida but I could get used to where we were.
>> Central Forida from what I've seen isn't very nice. *My mom lived on a
>> waterway that we could boat on to lake Kissimmee. *It was nice during
>> the winter but the summer was not so much fun. *

We like it down there, but then we're loons. My family lives in Lakeland, where
Publix HQ is located, about forty miles east of Tampa. When we're down there, we
play tennis every day. After ten am, we have all the courts in the tennis center
to ourselves -- no one else is dumb enough to play in the heat. 8

When I can convince my wife to retire, we'll probably end up in the Sarasota
area, if I can't get her to agree to one of several Caribbean islands.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:21:02 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:30:38 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 >
>wrote:
>
>>Lou, you're used to shopping at a deep discount place. How did the
>>prices at Publix compare to Jewel?

>I don't know Jewel -- is that a regional store around Chicago? Analogous to Wal
>Mart?

Jewel is a higher end store with the prices to go along with it. It's
not as expensive or upscale as whole foods but nothing like walmart.
Wiki claims Jewel has a 40% market share in Chicago which I think is
high.

>The supermarket business operates on extremely low pricing and profit margins,
>typically in the 4% range. Publix, like all supermarkets, calculates their
>overall pricing taking into account their published coupons. When people use
>those coupons, Publix prices are carefully calculated to be within 1-2% of their
>lowest-priced competition, which, in the very limited number of states in whcih
>Publix is located, is Wal Mart.

It must be more complicated than that but I get the point. How the
profit is determined must have something to do with department profit.
Some areas are about the same in pricing and some are close to double.
The difference in deli meat and cheese pricing is amazing.

>>> I'm not a fan of Florida but I could get used to where we were.
>>> Central Forida from what I've seen isn't very nice. *My mom lived on a
>>> waterway that we could boat on to lake Kissimmee. *It was nice during
>>> the winter but the summer was not so much fun. *

>We like it down there, but then we're loons. My family lives in Lakeland, where
>Publix HQ is located, about forty miles east of Tampa. When we're down there, we
>play tennis every day. After ten am, we have all the courts in the tennis center
>to ourselves -- no one else is dumb enough to play in the heat. 8

>When I can convince my wife to retire, we'll probably end up in the Sarasota
>area, if I can't get her to agree to one of several Caribbean islands.

It all depends on the checkbook balance. Last night I was talking
with a friend who lived down there for 7-8 years and was making 260K a
year. He lost the gig in a buyout and hasn't been able to land
anything close to that since. His wife has become the bread winner
and they ended up back in Chicago but they'd both love to be back in
Florida. Some people love it there. He said there's only 4-5 months
of heat. Well keeping an open mind, here we have 3 months of cold and
3 months of heat so maybe it's not so bad. I sure wouldn't miss
owning a snow blower.

Lou