Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The End Of Free Grocery Sacks

On 10/24/2011 3:52 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

This is a good idea. My understanding is that you're supposed to wear a
"coat of many pockets" to carry all your purchases to your car or
village. Asians typically don't buy much more than they can carry
anyway. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2011 3:05 PM, Andy wrote:

> There was a movie, I forget the name or the actor. He was in a large
> supermarket in an overcoat and he shopped and put everything in his
> overcoat. He didn't stop to check-out. You almost thought he was
> shoplifting but on his way out of the door an airport like metal detector
> scanned every item on him, totalled it and put it on his credit card
> bill.
>
> I thought that was a very high tech idea!!!
>
> Should happen, someday!

It's entirely possible to stick RFID doo-hickys on most things. I like
the idea of just walking out with your stuff a lot. Sign me up. :-)

> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2011 9:52 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

It's a good idea. Use cloth grocery bags. Much better for our planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2011 3:27 PM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/2011 3:05 PM, Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> There was a movie, I forget the name or the actor. He was in a large
>>> supermarket in an overcoat and he shopped and put everything in his
>>> overcoat. He didn't stop to check-out. You almost thought he was
>>> shoplifting but on his way out of the door an airport like metal
>>> detector scanned every item on him, totalled it and put it on his
>>> credit card bill.
>>>
>>> I thought that was a very high tech idea!!!
>>>
>>> Should happen, someday!

>> It's entirely possible to stick RFID doo-hickys on most things. I like
>> the idea of just walking out with your stuff a lot. Sign me up. :-)

> dsi1,
>
> While great movie tech, we'd all surely leave crawling on hands and
> knees.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Good point. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

That's nothing new. When I was a kid they tried charging for them and
giving you money back if you reused them.

Here in the city of Edmonds, plastic bags are no longer given out. I don't
know if they will give out paper ones but they urge you to bring your own.
We have been doing this for years now. Exception is Winco. Many stores
will give you a discount for bringing your own. They don't do that there
and you have to bag your own. Just easier and quicker to use their bags and
I do sometimes reuse those plastic or paper bags.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:52:33 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

I don't have a problem with that because I have reusable bags for
shopping. Their policy will be a good kick in the ass to their
customers to do the same.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 6:52*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. *Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? *Free over-the-air TV? *Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

Here in SoCal, the group I refer to as the 4 kings & a queen (aka the
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors) declared that there would be
a 10 cent charge for each bag a customer requests from any retail
outline located in Los Angeles County territory. That means that I
would have to pay for a bag (or bring my own) at the TJ's in the
county area of San Gabriel, while the bags at the stores in the
incorporated cities are free, unless of course the City Council(s)
pass a similar ordinance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/10/2011 10:10 PM, sf wrote:

> I don't have a problem with that because I have reusable bags for
> shopping. Their policy will be a good kick in the ass to their
> customers to do the same.

The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for close to two
years. A lot of other stores stopped automatically giving bags. There
are still some stores that seem to value the advertising value of a few
cents worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of reusable bags
in our cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in 3-4 bags where I
would have had a dozen or more, some with only one or two items. It is
so much easier to manage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote
> The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for close to two
> years. A lot of other stores stopped automatically giving bags. There are
> still some stores that seem to value the advertising value of a few cents
> worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of reusable bags in our
> cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in 3-4 bags where I would
> have had a dozen or more, some with only one or two items. It is so much
> easier to manage.

I do the same. I prefer the cloth bags as they hold more, are easier to
carry ,stand up better in the car. Like most households, we do have plastic
bags around. None go into the trash without at least one secondary use. I
take my lunch in them, line small trash cans, etc.

The free bags certainly are not free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:26:59 -0400, Dave Smith

I disliked those !@#$%^&* plastic bags from the gitgo.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:20:40 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

> That means that I
> would have to pay for a bag (or bring my own) at the TJ's in the
> county area of San Gabriel, while the bags at the stores in the
> incorporated cities are free, unless of course the City Council(s)
> pass a similar ordinance.

TJ's up here in NorCal have a carrot for you to bring your own bag.
They give you a ticket to fill out for a $25 drawing at the end of the
week. Hey, I'll never win... but it's fun to think I could.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 6:52*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. *Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? *Free over-the-air TV? *Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
have to wash the blood out of
our grocery bags so we can reuse them. Hey, maybe this is meant to
encourage vegetarianism, or discourage cooking dinner from scratch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2011 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I do the same. I prefer the cloth bags as they hold more, are easier to
> carry ,stand up better in the car. Like most households, we do have
> plastic bags around. None go into the trash without at least one
> secondary use. I take my lunch in them, line small trash cans, etc.

I use them for scooping kitty litter. I'm just saving up as many as I
can until they are no longer offered. My mom saves hers for me, too.
When they're all gone, not sure what I'll use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Oct 24, 6:52 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
> The world I knew is disappearing.

Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
have to wash the blood out of
our grocery bags so we can reuse them. Hey, maybe this is meant to
encourage vegetarianism, or discourage cooking dinner from scratch.

You can get thick plastic reusable bags. Much easier to wash and dry than
the cloth. And they hold up better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MotoFox"
<confucius-say@enlightenment!to!him!lead!it!for!bangpath!foll ow!man!wise.UUCP>
wrote in message ...
> Quoth Julie Bove~
>
>> Here in the city of Edmonds, plastic bags are no longer given out. I
>> don't know if they will give out paper ones but they urge you to bring
>> your own. We have been doing this for years now. Exception is Winco.
>> Many stores will give you a discount for bringing your own. They don't
>> do
>> that there and you have to bag your own. Just easier and quicker to use
>> their bags and I do sometimes reuse those plastic or paper bags.

> Yeah, a WHOLE NICKEL at Fred Meyer's!
>
> Personally I think the supposedly "re-usable" cloth bags are far harder on
> the planet than good old (what the ma$$ media seem to be under the
> impression are "single-use") plastic bags. What they don't tell you about
> is how you have to launder/bleach them after each use lest they harbour
> bacteria and other undesirable things, especially when used to carry raw
> meats.
>
> Frankly, I think plastic bags are far more of a multi-use item and the
> fabric bags are just a miracle of marketing intended to appease a few
> naïve tree-huggers. Didn't stop them from banning them in Portland, tho.
> (Another reason I'm glad I don't live down there any more.)

I do not wash mine after each use and I never use bleach. I am careful if I
buy meat. But I don't buy a lot of meat. And most stores put out the thin
plastic bags that you can put the meat in. My produce is also in plastic or
paper bags. So there is nothing that touches the bag that would contaminate
it. I also use these bags at clothing, shoe and drug stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for close to two
> years. A lot of other stores stopped automatically giving bags. There
> are still some stores that seem to value the advertising value of a
> few cents worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of
> reusable bags in our cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in
> 3-4 bags where I would have had a dozen or more, some with only one
> or two items.

Very true, I too carry 2 reusable bags in my car.

> It is so much easier to manage.

Expecially when buying heavy things like glass bottles, be it tomato
preserve or wine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
> have to wash the blood out of our grocery bags so we can reuse them.

Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
> of the end at all stores everywhere.

Sam's and Costco don't have bags and it doesn't seem to present a
problem. I expect they will go the way of the milkman without a whole
lot of notice.

> What's next? Free over-the-air TV?

OTA isn't likely to go away completely in our lifetimes, however
commercial OTA in my estimation only has perhaps 6 or 7 years before it
implodes. OTA broadcasters have still not found a business model that
will support them in this age of ever increasing competition for
advertising business. You can readily see this in the current state of
local stations, both radio and TV were they are running 75%+ scam
advertising because it's the only business they can get. This of course
drives away still more viewers.

If you recall there was a big consolidation in the broadcast business a
few years back, the small stations couldn't survive on their own so they
were absorbed into a few big operators where all that remains is their
transmitter, everything else consolidated to the big operators common
facility that services dozens of channels. With declining ad revenue
even those big operators won't be able to keep the transmitters running
and those channels will slowly go dark. The FCC will step in to ensure
that something remains, but it will end up being mostly PBS stations.

> Land lines?

For voice, yes. They are going that way to a large extent now, I only
have a land line for work, and work pays for it, all my personal stuff
is on cell.

> The world I knew is disappearing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
>> have to wash the blood out of our grocery bags so we can reuse them.

> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
> home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
> never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

I have often run across bloody or wet meat packages in various stores. I am
talking pre-wrapped meat here. Not the butcher counter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2011 6:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>>> Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
>>> have to wash the blood out of our grocery bags so we can reuse them.

>> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
>> home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
>> never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

> I have often run across bloody or wet meat packages in various stores. I am
> talking pre-wrapped meat here. Not the butcher counter.

I wouldn't even touch it. None of the stores where I shop have
that problem as a rule. I have seen the rare leaky meat package,
I wouldn't think of buying it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
email@replyto says...

> On 10/25/2011 6:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > wrote in message

> >> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
> >> home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
> >> never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

> > I have often run across bloody or wet meat packages in various stores. I am
> > talking pre-wrapped meat here. Not the butcher counter.

> I wouldn't even touch it. None of the stores where I shop have
> that problem as a rule. I have seen the rare leaky meat package,
> I wouldn't think of buying it.

The stores around here have most meat hermetically sealed with an inert-
gas fill these days. If it's leaking I'd avoid it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:26:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 24/10/2011 10:10 PM, sf wrote:
>

>> I don't have a problem with that because I have reusable bags for
>> shopping. Their policy will be a good kick in the ass to their
>> customers to do the same.

>The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for.

For forever.... their cost has _always_ been factored into the price
of groceries. Charging again at checkout is double dipping.

Customers pay for lighting too, always have... do I get a discount if
I bring my own flashlight?

This is yet another ignoranus thread... who's the imbecile who started
this one?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:23:01 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 10/24/2011 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I do the same. I prefer the cloth bags as they hold more, are easier to
>> carry ,stand up better in the car. Like most households, we do have
>> plastic bags around. None go into the trash without at least one
>> secondary use. I take my lunch in them, line small trash cans, etc.

>I use them for scooping kitty litter. I'm just saving up as many as I
>can until they are no longer offered. My mom saves hers for me, too.
>When they're all gone, not sure what I'll use.

I use them for cat litter too, but I buy them, been for years, because
I don't get enough just from grocery shopping, Sam's Club sells
"T-Shirt" bags in cartons of 1000 for $9. I also double them, you
will too after the bottom tears out just once... a bigger disaster
than a condom busting... I've been known to use two condoms too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:51:56 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for close to two
>> years. A lot of other stores stopped automatically giving bags. There
>> are still some stores that seem to value the advertising value of a
>> few cents worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of
>> reusable bags in our cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in
>> 3-4 bags where I would have had a dozen or more, some with only one
>> or two items.

>Very true, I too carry 2 reusable bags in my car.
>
>> It is so much easier to manage.

>Expecially when buying heavy things like glass bottles, be it tomato
>preserve or wine.

I carry insulated bags in my car, the kind with space age mylar and a
top closing zipper... allows me to travel further for perishables,
especially during summer... even the car AC isn't nearly enough. I
also have an ice chest in my vehicle. But I still have my groceries
put in plastic bags as I don't need my good insulated bags filthied by
leaking food packages, meats often leak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 10/24/2011 3:05 PM, Andy wrote:
>>
>> There was a movie, I forget the name or the actor. He was in a large
>> supermarket in an overcoat and he shopped and put everything in his
>> overcoat. He didn't stop to check-out. You almost thought he was
>> shoplifting but on his way out of the door an airport like metal detector
>> scanned every item on him, totalled it and put it on his credit card
>> bill.
>>
>> I thought that was a very high tech idea!!!
>>
>> Should happen, someday!

> It's entirely possible to stick RFID doo-hickys on most things. I like the
> idea of just walking out with your stuff a lot. Sign me up. :-)

Depends on where you live, I guess. What do you do when it's hot outside?
Carry a coat with lots of pockets around with you? LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> The grocery stores here have been charging for bags for.

> For forever.... their cost has _always_ been factored into the price
> of groceries. Charging again at checkout is double dipping.
>
> Customers pay for lighting too, always have... do I get a discount if
> I bring my own flashlight?
>
> This is yet another ignoranus thread... who's the imbecile who started
> this one?

Mark Thorson

Surprised? Didn't think so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2011 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote

>> few cents worth of bags. My wife and I each carry a supply of reusable
>> bags in our cars. I prefer them. I can stick my groceries in 3-4 bags
>> where I would have had a dozen or more, some with only one or two
>> items. It is so much easier to manage.

> I do the same. I prefer the cloth bags as they hold more, are easier to
> carry ,stand up better in the car.

I love them, I wish I had a better batting average for bringing
them into the store with me. Most of the time I remember.
I can carry a lot of stuff if I have the sturdy cloth bags, this
way I can just leave the cart at the store.

I use the plastic bags for emptying the vacuum cleaner bin,
maybe for a few other things like chicken in the garbage.
Most of the time I have an annoyed wad of the things I never
remember to bring back to the store for recycling.

I do put meat in a plastic bag just because I don't want
even the packaging touching my other stuff, but that's just
a thing with me.

> Like most households, we do have
> plastic bags around. None go into the trash without at least one
> secondary use. I take my lunch in them, line small trash cans, etc.
>
> The free bags certainly are not free.

The way some cashiers hand them out you'd think they were.
I bag my own groceries but if the cashier helps, I wind up
with almost empty bags. Annoying.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> The stores around here have most meat hermetically sealed with an
> inert- gas fill these days. If it's leaking I'd avoid it.

More likely than not, that "inert- gas" is Carbon Monoxide and is put in
there to keep the meat bright red looking, even when/if the meat is
spoiled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/10/2011 11:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:26:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I can stick my groceries in 3-4 bags where I
>> would have had a dozen or more, some with only one or two items. It is
>> so much easier to manage.

> I disliked those !@#$%^&* plastic bags from the gitgo.

I used to get my week's grocery's in 3-4 paper bags. When they switched
to plastic they were so flimsy that they could only put a few things in
and you ended up with four times as many, making it much more awkward to
tote them into the house.

When the liquor store first started using plastic bags I asked the clerk
if she was sure that the bag was strong enough. She assured me that it
was. I got home and was carrying the bag up to the house when it ripped
open and all four bottles fell on the sidewalk and broke. I went back
and got replacements.... and pointed out that I had questioned the
strength of the bags.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/25/2011 8:20 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I wouldn't even touch it. None of the stores where I shop have
>> that problem as a rule. I have seen the rare leaky meat package,
>> I wouldn't think of buying it.

> The stores around here have most meat hermetically sealed with an inert-
> gas fill these days. If it's leaking I'd avoid it.

I try not to buy meat that is packaged like that but sometimes
I don't have a choice. Well, when I say I don't have a choice,
I mean I'm too lazy to go over to the butchers to get what I
want.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 1:57*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
> > have to wash the blood out of our grocery bags so we can reuse them.

> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
> home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
> never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

Meat is cheaper at the stores that prewrap it in plastic trays. There
is often a pool of blood at the bottom of the packaging, which somehow
wicks through the plastic wrap swirl at the bottom.

I don't have that problem at stores with service meat departments,
that wrap and often cut meat to order, but there you must pay to have
the employees waiting around to serve you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 3:12*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > On 10/24/2011 3:52 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> > > The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
> > > checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
> > > starting on Jan 1. *Presumably this is the beginning
> > > of the end at all stores everywhere.

> > > What's next? *Free over-the-air TV? *Land lines?
> > > The world I knew is disappearing.

> > This is a good idea. My understanding is that you're supposed to wear a
> > "coat of many pockets" to carry all your purchases to your car or
> > village. Asians typically don't buy much more than they can carry
> > anyway. :-)

> Edwards Food Warehouse used to charge for bags. *Edwards is no more. *
> Aldi charges for bags. *It will be interesting to see how long Aldi
> lasts.

In the Midwest, Aldi has lasted a third of a century so far. At first
they didn't even sell bags -- you could use empty boxes, or just throw
your shopping into the trunk, a la Costco. Costco's doing OK, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>>> Plastic grocery store bags with handles were a Godsend. But now we'll
>>> have to wash the blood out of our grocery bags so we can reuse them.

>> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and
>> then get home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags
>> or not I would never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

> Sometimes, even the shrink wrapped packages leak. It happens.

It happened to me also, but it was an exceptional situation. I can't think
about shopping in a place where it happens normally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:57:32 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>On 10/25/2011 6:22 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Do you really shop in places that do not correctly wrap meat and then get
>>> home with blood on the bottom of the bags?!? Reusable bags or not I would
>>> never shop the it is gross and very anti-higienic.

>> I have often run across bloody or wet meat packages in various stores. I am
>> talking pre-wrapped meat here. Not the butcher counter.

>I wouldn't even touch it. None of the stores where I shop have
>that problem as a rule. I have seen the rare leaky meat package,
>I wouldn't think of buying it.

They can look perfectly fine in the display counter, but some packages
of meat when they get tipped a bit in the bagging and in your car will
leak. Anything containing liquid can leak... I've had a giant jug of
liquid laundry detergent seep out at least a D cup worth. And jars of
refrigerator pickles can leak that wonderful garlicy parfume. Milk
can leak, eggs especially can leak. I keep four plastic cat litter
pans in my vehicle for placing bags of possible leakers, also keeps
stuff from shifting... the pans nest when not in use so take up no
real space, they're in the cargo area of my SUV anyway... I use them
for hauling 5 gallon jugs of diesel, some drops always slosh out no
matter how well the cap is tightened... they are also very handy for
bringing home plants from the garden nurseries, catches leaks and
saves me from having to vacuum potting soil and mulch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:02:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"MotoFox"
><confucius-say@enlightenment!to!him!lead!it!for!bangpath!foll ow!man!wise.UUCP>
>wrote in message ...
>> Quoth Julie Bove~
>>
>>> Here in the city of Edmonds, plastic bags are no longer given out. I
>>> don't know if they will give out paper ones but they urge you to bring
>>> your own. We have been doing this for years now. Exception is Winco.
>>> Many stores will give you a discount for bringing your own. They don't
>>> do
>>> that there and you have to bag your own. Just easier and quicker to use
>>> their bags and I do sometimes reuse those plastic or paper bags.

>> Yeah, a WHOLE NICKEL at Fred Meyer's!
>>
>> Personally I think the supposedly "re-usable" cloth bags are far harder on
>> the planet than good old (what the ma$$ media seem to be under the
>> impression are "single-use") plastic bags. What they don't tell you about
>> is how you have to launder/bleach them after each use lest they harbour
>> bacteria and other undesirable things, especially when used to carry raw
>> meats.
>>
>> Frankly, I think plastic bags are far more of a multi-use item and the
>> fabric bags are just a miracle of marketing intended to appease a few
>> naïve tree-huggers. Didn't stop them from banning them in Portland, tho.
>> (Another reason I'm glad I don't live down there any more.)

>I do not wash mine after each use and I never use bleach. I am careful if I
>buy meat. But I don't buy a lot of meat. And most stores put out the thin
>plastic bags that you can put the meat in. My produce is also in plastic or
>paper bags. So there is nothing that touches the bag that would contaminate
>it. I also use these bags at clothing, shoe and drug stores.

So with all those individual bags what's the point of not using
plastic shopping bags.. it's just a stupid POLITICAL move so the
politicos can give themselves attaboys/girls... plastic shopping bags
definitely place far, FAR less strain on the planet's ecology than
reuseable cloth bags. And those who don't launder them are complete
imbeciles. There was a documentary on TV recently that explained how
dumb cloth shopping bags really are. The thing is that people who
live in filth don't realize they're slobs, they really don't see that
they are walking landfills.... and there are a LOT of those creeps...
most people are disaster areas.