Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The End Of Free Grocery Sacks

On 10/27/2011 9:36 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 10:31 AM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>> directly when it comes to this.

> One way or another, ALL expenses are passed on to the customer. My
> preference would be they raise their prices to cover any increased cost
> of business..... but airlines and cruise lines have been adding "fuel
> surcharges" for years, and the practice of adding a surcharge is
> spreading and is here to stay.
>
> George L

It's really annoying because you never get the total price (for
comparison shopping) until you actually commit. Surcharges are a
smoke-and-mirrors joke.

Airlines are making billions (yes) on checked baggage charges.

Conundrum: We just returned from SE Asia, flying
Bangkok-Tokyo-Minneapolis-Denver. It would have been very difficult to buy
duty-free alcohol since the duty free shops were in areas AFTER we
checked in our luggage but most of the airports had secondary carry-on
security checks between the shops and boarding areas. Couldn't buy
abroad because we no longer had checked luggage in which to ship it.
Couldn't buy after going through customs in MN because we were no longer
international. Weird. NOt really a big problem because we have found
duty free often to cost more than our local liquor store, but
what's the solution?

George: Howe do your cruise passengers who are flying home get around this?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:28:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:35:28 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/2011 9:52 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>>> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the
>>> checkstands saying bags will no longer be free
>>> starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the beginning
>>> of the end at all stores everywhere.
>>>
>>> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines?
>>> The world I knew is disappearing.

>> It's a good idea. Use cloth grocery bags. Much better for our planet.

>We can't even get plastic here any more. They've been outlawed.

There's a suburb here that wants to put a 5 cent fee on them. The
shop owner will get to keep 2 cents for processing and the other 3
will go to some bullshit ecology center. It sounds like a
book-keeping mess to me.

<http://triblocal.com/evanston/2011/10/18/environment-board-recommends-5-cent-bag-fee/>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2011 1:36 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> Conundrum: We just returned from SE Asia, flying
> Bangkok-Tokyo-Minneapolis-Denver. It would have been very difficult to buy
> duty-free alcohol since the duty free shops were in areas AFTER we
> checked in our luggage but most of the airports had secondary carry-on
> security checks between the shops and boarding areas. Couldn't buy
> abroad because we no longer had checked luggage in which to ship it.
> Couldn't buy after going through customs in MN because we were no longer
> international. Weird. NOt really a big problem because we have found
> duty free often to cost more than our local liquor store, but
> what's the solution?
>
> George: Howe do your cruise passengers who are flying home get around
> this?

You can't. The only way to take duty free booze home from a cruise is
to put it in your checked luggage (and hope like hell it doesn't break).
You can't take it through security in your carry-on.

Years ago you would see practically everyone walking off the ship with
boxes of bottles and carry them onto the airplane. Not any more.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:36:38 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 10/27/2011 9:36 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>> On 10/27/2011 10:31 AM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>>> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>>> directly when it comes to this.

>> One way or another, ALL expenses are passed on to the customer. My
>> preference would be they raise their prices to cover any increased cost
>> of business..... but airlines and cruise lines have been adding "fuel
>> surcharges" for years, and the practice of adding a surcharge is
>> spreading and is here to stay.
>>
>> George L

>It's really annoying because you never get the total price (for
>comparison shopping) until you actually commit. Surcharges are a
>smoke-and-mirrors joke.
>
>Airlines are making billions (yes) on checked baggage charges.

That really ****es me off. We flew last week and it cost us a hundred
bucks to get our bags back and forth. The party location got changed
so we got the $150 each change fee and another fee because Louise's
BIL booked it through a travel agent. I think that was $25 each.
There was four of us so it was expensive. I don't fly often but it
will never be on delta again.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:19:04 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2011 1:36 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>> Conundrum: We just returned from SE Asia, flying
>> Bangkok-Tokyo-Minneapolis-Denver. It would have been very difficult to buy
>> duty-free alcohol since the duty free shops were in areas AFTER we
>> checked in our luggage but most of the airports had secondary carry-on
>> security checks between the shops and boarding areas. Couldn't buy
>> abroad because we no longer had checked luggage in which to ship it.
>> Couldn't buy after going through customs in MN because we were no longer
>> international. Weird. NOt really a big problem because we have found
>> duty free often to cost more than our local liquor store, but
>> what's the solution?
>>
>> George: Howe do your cruise passengers who are flying home get around
>> this?

>You can't. The only way to take duty free booze home from a cruise is
>to put it in your checked luggage (and hope like hell it doesn't break).
> You can't take it through security in your carry-on.

We just flew with some preserves and pumpkin butter. They were
wrapped in bubble wrap and taped shut. They cut the lock and opened
up the packages. When I saw it was cut I figured it was the avocado
they were after but I was wrong. The good news is nothing was broke
and the avocado was delicious. Any Florida avocado I've had has
always sucked but this was great. It had kind of a citrus flavor.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/10/2011 10:04 AM, Giusi wrote:

>>> I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
>>> though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
>>> returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.

>> Frequent thing here seeing carts flying across a lot.

> If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
> corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.

Now that I am using the larger re-usable bags, I have few to carry to
carry and can easily manage them on my own. I usually leave the car tin
the store and carry the bags to the car.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote
> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
> directly when it comes to this.

Huh? They are actually saving you money. If every customer takes the cart
back, they don't have to pay someone to go out and collect carts, passing
the savings on to you. They merely hold your quarter while you are shopping
to assure you bring it back. It is no different than the nickel or dime
deposit on bottles.

Businesses pay no expenses. They are all passed on to the customer one way
or another. They have to. I like buying from a business that makes a
profit. It help assure they will be there if a problem arises or I want to
to go back for more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote

>> If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
>> corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.
>>

> Maybe that works in Europe, but it doesn't work here.

I think we will start seeing it though. I know a couple of stores in NJ are
using it and all Aldi's have it. It may take some time, but is can work.
Personally, I'd like to see it. Having had my car dinged.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2011 2:50 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> That really ****es me off. We flew last week and it cost us a hundred
> bucks to get our bags back and forth. The party location got changed
> so we got the $150 each change fee and another fee because Louise's
> BIL booked it through a travel agent. I think that was $25 each.
> There was four of us so it was expensive. I don't fly often but it
> will never be on delta again.

Lou, it doesn't matter if you go somewhere else... most of the major
airlines have similar fees.

We are going on a group cruise this weekend and have to haul 80
t-shirts, name badges, door signs, etc. We boxed everything up in two
boxes and will pay $25 each to get the to FLL with us on the plane. Our
clothes, etc will be in two carry-ons, a laptop bag and a backpack.

It just isn't that much fun flying any more.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:12:07 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2011 2:50 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> That really ****es me off. We flew last week and it cost us a hundred
>> bucks to get our bags back and forth. The party location got changed
>> so we got the $150 each change fee and another fee because Louise's
>> BIL booked it through a travel agent. I think that was $25 each.
>> There was four of us so it was expensive. I don't fly often but it
>> will never be on delta again.

>Lou, it doesn't matter if you go somewhere else... most of the major
>airlines have similar fees.

Southwest advertises they don't. They fly to Tampa.

>We are going on a group cruise this weekend and have to haul 80
>t-shirts, name badges, door signs, etc. We boxed everything up in two
>boxes and will pay $25 each to get the to FLL with us on the plane. Our
>clothes, etc will be in two carry-ons, a laptop bag and a backpack.
>
>It just isn't that much fun flying any more.

I've never enjoyed flying. This was my first time post 911 so the
security check was annoying. I wear suspenders so I had to take those
off and while they patted me down and swabbed my hands my ass was
hanging out. I know it has to be done but it's a pita.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:02:27 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote
>>>
>>> If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
>>> corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.
>>>

>> Maybe that works in Europe, but it doesn't work here.

>I think we will start seeing it though. I know a couple of stores in NJ are
>using it and all Aldi's have it. It may take some time, but is can work.
>Personally, I'd like to see it. Having had my car dinged.

It didn't work ten years ago on Long Island for a quarter, many people
wouldn't walk the empty cart back to the corral for two bits so just
left them wherever... nowadays a buck isn't worth much more than what
a quarter was ten years ago. And weather played a big part in
deciding if the walk would be worth the chump change. There really is
no simple answer to loose carts... I make an effort to park on the
higher elevations where carts are involved, even if I have to walk a
bit further... I learned about gravity at a very tender age. Where I
live the market has many of those cart corrals about the parking lot
and people do use them, but in winter the corrals are removed to make
room for snow plowing... then people need to be especially wary when
backing up... but there are two attendents who do a good job of
herding the carts. And it's snowing now, 1st snowfall.
http://i41.tinypic.com/293vy1z.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oops, The End Of The World Postponed NOT

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Today, the signs by the checkstands announcing the
> end of free grocery bags have been removed! Hooray!
> Must have something to do with Harold Camping.

I was wrong, the signs are still there. Maybe not
at all the checkstands.

This time I noticed a web page is cited on the sign:

http://www.sjrecycles.org/bags

It's the city of San Jose that banned the bags, and
this Asian food store has the misfortune to be located
on a peninsula of San Jose that reaches way out to
the west. Because there's another Asian food store
up the street, it'll be interesting to see how this
impacts their business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:49:00 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> sf wrote:

>> >He puts his own spin on everything.

>> Spin schpin, no one cares more about breasts than me... you
>> disingenuous ****.

>No doubt because you're one of these.
>
>http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...dult-baby.html

That is some weird shit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "sf" > wrote
> >>
> >> If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
> >> corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.
> >>

> > Maybe that works in Europe, but it doesn't work here.

> I think we will start seeing it though. I know a couple of stores in NJ are
> using it and all Aldi's have it. It may take some time, but is can work.
> Personally, I'd like to see it. Having had my car dinged.

What works is a combination of more cart corrals and the invisible
fence that disables a cart wheel when it's crossed.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >"Julie Bove" wrote:
> >
> >> Means breast cancer awareness here.

> >He puts his own spin on everything.

> Spin schpin, no one cares more about breasts than me... you
> disingenuous ****.

No doubt because you're one of these.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...dult-baby.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:11:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:10:37 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> There's a suburb here that wants to put a 5 cent fee on them. The
>> shop owner will get to keep 2 cents for processing and the other 3
>> will go to some bullshit ecology center. It sounds like a
>> book-keeping mess to me.
>>
>> <http://triblocal.com/evanston/2011/10/18/environment-board-recommends-5-cent-bag-fee/>

>If they're going to start charging me for bags, then they need to hire
>somebody other than village idiots to pack my groceries. Too many
>times I get one item to a bag. And there are two sizes of plastic
>bags.

If you read the article you'd know it's not the stores that want to
charge. The city wants the money. I can't see how the store will not
lose money keeping track of it. Another example of idiots in
government. Everyone seems to have a different opinion of this and it
depends on how it will effect them personally.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2011 6:38 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:02:27 -0400, "Ed >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote

>>> Maybe that works in Europe, but it doesn't work here.

>> I think we will start seeing it though. I know a couple of stores in NJ are
>> using it and all Aldi's have it. It may take some time, but is can work.
>> Personally, I'd like to see it. Having had my car dinged.

> What works is a combination of more cart corrals and the invisible
> fence that disables a cart wheel when it's crossed.

Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.

The coin deposit things seem to work at places that have them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/28/2011 9:56 AM, George wrote:

> Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.

Probably by the same people who will wait and wait for someone
to pull out so they can park 2 spots closer, all the while
creating a traffic jam.

Sounds like I'm exaggerating for effect, but I've seen it
and I've known people who do that. I don't get it.

> The coin deposit things seem to work at places that have them.

The only place I've shopped where they had that was a new
Costco, years ago. People hated it and that went away.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <email@replyto> ha scritto nel messaggio >> The coin deposit
things seem to work at places that have them.

> The only place I've shopped where they had that was a new
> Costco, years ago. People hated it and that went away.

As time goes on and the public never does grow up and behave, more will do
it. They didn't like it at Costco? What are they going to do? Drive 50
miles to another one? Being able to find a cat when you want one, find your
car undinged and find the way to back out unblocked is worth the temporary
ending of $1.40.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:56:00 -0400, George >
wrote:

>On 10/27/2011 6:38 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I think we will start seeing it though. I know a couple of stores in NJ are
>>> using it and all Aldi's have it. It may take some time, but is can work.
>>> Personally, I'd like to see it. Having had my car dinged.

>> What works is a combination of more cart corrals and the invisible
>> fence that disables a cart wheel when it's crossed.
>>

>Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.
>
>The coin deposit things seem to work at places that have them.

It didn't work very well and in inclement weather not at all, so it
was abandoned. People screwed with the latching mechanism too, so
that when carts were latched together they couldn't be unlatched...
there were siamese twins all over the lot, and unless they were nested
prior to latching it was impossible to move them. That coin latching
thingie was not thought out at all, it's a stupid idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/28/2011 10:36 AM, Giusi wrote:
> "Nancy Young"<email@replyto> ha scritto nel messaggio>> The coin deposit
> things seem to work at places that have them.
>>
>> The only place I've shopped where they had that was a new
>> Costco, years ago. People hated it and that went away.

> As time goes on and the public never does grow up and behave, more will do
> it. They didn't like it at Costco? What are they going to do? Drive 50
> miles to another one?

What can I say, people didn't like it and no stores around here
have them. No one is driving around looking for stores where
they have to deal with the coin thing.

> Being able to find a cat when you want one,

Cats find you. That's been my experience.

> find your
> car undinged and find the way to back out unblocked is worth the temporary
> ending of $1.40.

Apparently not, since it didn't stop people from leaving carts
around that particular Costco. Also, I have never once had
trouble finding a cart, though I have, annoyingly, found carts
in the middle of a spot I was planning to pull into, occasionally.

Anyway, I'm happy they work where you live. I'm just describing
how it is where I live, no coin cart returns in sight.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> The coin deposit things seem to work at places that have them.

It didn't work here and was abandoned 10+ years ago.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:11:23 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> It works perfectly well in other countries.

Goody for them. It didn't/doesn't work here.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:02:16 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 22:10:05 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:11:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>If they're going to start charging me for bags, then they need to hire
>>>somebody other than village idiots to pack my groceries. Too many
>>>times I get one item to a bag. And there are two sizes of plastic
>>>bags.

>> If you read the article you'd know it's not the stores that want to
>> charge.

>I wasn't saying it was. I was just saying I reserve the right to be a
>lot more picky about how my bags are loaded regardless of who I'm
>paying for the bags themselves.

Sorry, I read to fast. You do already have that right though. Even
before we started using our own bags I packed it up myself.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/28/2011 10:17 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/28/2011 9:56 AM, George wrote:
>
>> Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.

> Probably by the same people who will wait and wait for someone
> to pull out so they can park 2 spots closer, all the while
> creating a traffic jam.
>
> Sounds like I'm exaggerating for effect, but I've seen it
> and I've known people who do that. I don't get it.

The funniest one I have seen is at a nearby strip mall that has a
fitness center. I will be out walking the dog and sometimes I walk by
there and there are always folks battling to park their huge SUVs as
close as possible to the entrance for who knows what reason (they are
fit, by themselves and aren't wheeling merchandise out to their vehicles)

>> The coin deposit things seem to work at places that have them.

> The only place I've shopped where they had that was a new
> Costco, years ago. People hated it and that went away.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:52:33 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> The closest Asian food store now has signs at the checkstands saying
> bags will no longer be free starting on Jan 1. Presumably this is the
> beginning of the end at all stores everywhere.
>
> What's next? Free over-the-air TV? Land lines? The world I knew is
> disappearing.

In this neck of the woods we've been charged for plastic[1] grocery
bags/sacks in all grocery stores country-wide for several years; some law
that was passed by our government (also allegedly to discourage people
using too many of them which would help save the environment, IIRC).

There was a huge public outcry about it for a month or two (which did
nothing to change the government's mind) and then the uproar just fizzled
out - and nowadays I see a few people take their own bags/sacks/whatever
to the supermarkets, but the majority just pay up for the sacks (about
three US cents each) at the check-outs. However, there are a couple of
stores that still give out the sacks for free if one spends over X-amount
of money...

[1] Haven't seen paper sacks offered at the supermarket check-outs here in
almost 30 years; they still use them in the deli/bakery sections for
certain breads/foods - but I think it's safe to assume they add the cost
of these bags/sacks into the price of the food.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>In this neck of the woods we've been charged for plastic[1] grocery
>bags/sacks in all grocery stores country-wide for several years; some law
>that was passed by our government (also allegedly to discourage people
>using too many of them which would help save the environment, IIRC).

I'm sure you realize you've been getting charged for them all along.
Now the stores get to add a line item for them rather than just bury
the cost into the price of groceries. Nice bonus.

>[1] Haven't seen paper sacks offered at the supermarket check-outs here in
>almost 30 years; they still use them in the deli/bakery sections for
>certain breads/foods - but I think it's safe to assume they add the cost
>of these bags/sacks into the price of the food.

Most stores here still have paper, butr they are buried out of sight
in many cases. I like them to put newspapers in for the recycle bin
so I get one a week or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2011 8:20 AM, Ed Pawlowskio wrote:

> Most stores here still have paper, butr they are buried out of sight
> in many cases. I like them to put newspapers in for the recycle bin
> so I get one a week or so.

Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
brown paper anymore? The local produce/bakery market still uses
paper bags. I take them as it's how I corral all of the mixed paper
I have to recycle. I have a big stash of them.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-29, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
> brown paper anymore?

Do textbooks even come in harcover, anymore?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2011 8:49 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-10-29, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>>
>> Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
>> brown paper anymore?

> Do textbooks even come in harcover, anymore?

Good question. And, if they do, I imagine store bought covers
are the norm.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:20:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowskio wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>

>>In this neck of the woods we've been charged for plastic[1] grocery
>>bags/sacks in all grocery stores country-wide for several years; some law
>>that was passed by our government (also allegedly to discourage people
>>using too many of them which would help save the environment, IIRC).

> I'm sure you realize you've been getting charged for them all along.
> Now the stores get to add a line item for them rather than just bury
> the cost into the price of groceries. Nice bonus.

Of course, that's why I made the "they add the cost of these [paper]
bags/sacks into the price of the food" remark in my previous post.
However, I think a lot of people don't realize it... because of the "OMG,
I'm being charged for sacks now, what is the world coming to?" reactions
I've seen (both in my neck of the woods and in this thread). Even if the
stores are making a few more cents per sack out of me, I really cannot be
bothered (or remember) to take my own to the store.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-10-29, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
> >
> > Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
> > brown paper anymore?

> Do textbooks even come in harcover, anymore?

They ought to be as expensive as they have become. A few of my college
classes, the textbook actually cost more than the tuition for the class.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 10/28/2011 9:56 AM, George wrote:
>
> > Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.

> Probably by the same people who will wait and wait for someone
> to pull out so they can park 2 spots closer, all the while
> creating a traffic jam.
>
> Sounds like I'm exaggerating for effect, but I've seen it
> and I've known people who do that. I don't get it.

I think I do. Well, actually, I just made this up. I think it's some
version of OCD, like people who spend five minutes arranging items on a
table, even though they know that within three minutes their little kids
will rearrange everything in random order. At which point they spend
another five minutes moving the items back. Getting the closest parking
spot is like a game. It makes their life orderly to do that, even
though it is wasting their time.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2011 10:46 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In ews.com>,
> Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>
>> On 10/28/2011 9:56 AM, George wrote:
>>
>>> Not for slobs. I have seen folks abandon carts within 15' of a corral.

>> Probably by the same people who will wait and wait for someone
>> to pull out so they can park 2 spots closer, all the while
>> creating a traffic jam.
>>
>> Sounds like I'm exaggerating for effect, but I've seen it
>> and I've known people who do that. I don't get it.

> I think I do. Well, actually, I just made this up. I think it's some
> version of OCD, like people who spend five minutes arranging items on a
> table, even though they know that within three minutes their little kids
> will rearrange everything in random order. At which point they spend
> another five minutes moving the items back. Getting the closest parking
> spot is like a game. It makes their life orderly to do that, even
> though it is wasting their time.

I think it is more of an imaginary status thing. If you manage to park
closest to the entrance somehow you have a higher status than others.
Notably it is the folks with the giant SUVs who seem to do this sort of
thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> On 10/29/2011 10:46 AM, Dan Abel wrote:

>> Getting the closest
>> parking spot is like a game. It makes their life orderly to do that,
>> even though it is wasting their time.
>>

> I think it is more of an imaginary status thing. If you manage to park
> closest to the entrance somehow you have a higher status than others.
> Notably it is the folks with the giant SUVs who seem to do this sort
> of thing.

I disagree. IMHO, it's just pure laziness.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:55:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > On 10/29/2011 10:46 AM, Dan Abel wrote:

> >> Getting the closest
> >> parking spot is like a game. It makes their life orderly to do that,
> >> even though it is wasting their time.
> >>

> > I think it is more of an imaginary status thing. If you manage to park
> > closest to the entrance somehow you have a higher status than others.
> > Notably it is the folks with the giant SUVs who seem to do this sort
> > of thing.

> I disagree. IMHO, it's just pure laziness.

I agree with you, Cathy.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:55:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>George wrote:
>
>> On 10/29/2011 10:46 AM, Dan Abel wrote:

>>> Getting the closest
>>> parking spot is like a game. It makes their life orderly to do that,
>>> even though it is wasting their time.
>>>

>> I think it is more of an imaginary status thing. If you manage to park
>> closest to the entrance somehow you have a higher status than others.
>> Notably it is the folks with the giant SUVs who seem to do this sort
>> of thing.

>I disagree. IMHO, it's just pure laziness.

And typically those with the nicest/most expensive vehicles park
furthest from the entrance. SUVs barely fit in today's tiny spots so
rather than get all jammed in the SUVs park way at the far end of the
lot and rather walk than get dinged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Most stores here still have paper, butr they are buried out of sight
> in many cases. I like them to put newspapers in for the recycle bin
> so I get one a week or so.

That's what we do too - get just enough paper bags weekly for use in
the recycling bin. That way, we don't have to lug the outside bin,
just pick up the bags by the handles and go. We have quite a bit of
recycling weekly considering it's just the two of us the majority of
the time. My husband always comments that the USPS would be out of
business soon if it wasn't for all the junk mail we're sent.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:57:48 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 10/29/2011 8:49 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2011-10-29, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
> >>
> >> Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
> >> brown paper anymore?

> > Do textbooks even come in harcover, anymore?

> Good question. And, if they do, I imagine store bought covers
> are the norm.

Yes, they come in hard cover and you're right. Store bought covers
are the norm, if they are covered. I think that might still be done
in Catholic schools, but not elsewhere.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:28:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > On 2011-10-29, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
> > >
> > > Paper bags are very useful. Do kids still wrap their textbooks in
> > > brown paper anymore?

> > Do textbooks even come in harcover, anymore?

> They ought to be as expensive as they have become. A few of my college
> classes, the textbook actually cost more than the tuition for the class.

I believe you! $50+ is the norm now. One of my friend's kids had a
book that cost over $300 and that was a few years ago.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.