Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The End Of Free Grocery Sacks

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Oct 26, 9:23 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:51:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> Or stealing them.

>> I don't think so... the deposit is only a quarter in a slot to
>> release the chain... no one who wants to steal a cart will be
>> detered for 25¢... and in neighborhoods where people steal carts
>> they'd mug an old woman for her cart. In some ghetto hoods the carts
>> can't leave the store, they erect physical barriers that the carts
>> won't fit through so that customers need to drive up to the loading
>> space to stow their grocereies. In inner city hoods many people
>> don't own vehicles, if not for the barrio barriers it wouldn't be a
>> day before a store wouldn't have a single cart.

> In Chicago, the grandmas would all have those two wheel wire mesh
> carts to haul their groceries home. Fancier versions are popular in
> Paris for the heavy shopping. http://www.chariot-course.com/

I had that in NY. Required there at some stores. And necessary to get my
groceries from my parking spot to the apartment. Parking spot wasn't
anywhere near where I lived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:40:19 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> What? Since when? I lived there and never heard any such thing.

>> but you're not very observant.

> Pink means Breast Care.

Means breast cancer awareness here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/10/2011 4:46 PM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> Again, it's no big deal to people like us who can count on that
> quarter or dollar or whatever not being the difference between us going
> home with the mac and cheese in a box or the package of lettuce.

From what I have seen, it is the people who fit into that category who
are the most likely to use the cart to get their groceries home and not
bother to return the cart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:40:19 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In article >, "Julie Bove"

>>> but you're not very observant.

>> Pink means Breast Care.

>Means breast cancer awareness here.

I much prefer the all encompassing Breast Care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:09:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I had that in NY. Required there at some stores. And necessary to get my
> groceries from my parking spot to the apartment. Parking spot wasn't
> anywhere near where I lived.

My SIL uses wheeled carry on luggage and I see they have some granny
carts that look just like that on the French site.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Means breast cancer awareness here.

He puts his own spin on everything.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Means breast cancer awareness here.

> He puts his own spin on everything.

Woooooo! Spinning breasts!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:
snip

>> Pink means breast hoax. ask yourself how many times you've heard Komen or anyone
>> mention breast cancer in men (which is more frequently fatal than in women)?

>Do you suffer from Moobs?

size/sex means nothing as far as breast cancer is concerned. Don't
make fun, it could happen to you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> > Pink means breast hoax. ask yourself how many times you've heard Komen or
> > anyone
> > mention breast cancer in men (which is more frequently fatal than in
> > women)?

> Do you suffer from Moobs?

do you suffer from a lack of moobs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>"Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>> Means breast cancer awareness here.

>He puts his own spin on everything.

Spin schpin, no one cares more about breasts than me... you
disingenuous ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:07:51 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Means breast cancer awareness here.

> > He puts his own spin on everything.

> Woooooo! Spinning breasts!

Whatta surprise.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
> snip
> >>
> >> Pink means breast hoax. ask yourself how many times you've heard Komen or
> >> anyone
> >> mention breast cancer in men (which is more frequently fatal than in
> >> women)?

> >Do you suffer from Moobs?

> size/sex means nothing as far as breast cancer is concerned. Don't
> make fun, it could happen to you.
> Janet US

exactly my point. it's just too bad that Komen doesn't think so

but in fact you are wrong. men die 4 times more frequently from "diagnosed"
breast cancer than women and are far less likely to get (accurately) diagnosed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:07:51 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:10:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Means breast cancer awareness here.

>> He puts his own spin on everything.

>Woooooo! Spinning breasts!

Now yer tawkin'!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8aJWM1zww

You can buy this:
http://youboob.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Around here the discount stores in the less affluent areas are chained
> with coin locks so you have to slip in a Loonie to get a cart and you
> get you dollar back when you return the cart. It doesn't just get the
> carts back from the parking lot. Some of the customers take the carts
> home. Someone else will bring them back for the dollar.

For Americans, Loonie = 1 Canadian dollar coin,
named for the bird on the tails side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:46:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't live in a big city.
>>>

>> What's the population and what do you consider big?

> Population is about 30,000. I used to think Seattle was a big city. But it
> is not compared to places like New York, San Francisco and Philadelphia. I
> would say those places are big cities.

That is about the size of my old town.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The End Of The World Postponed !!!

Today, the signs by the checkstands announcing the
end of free grocery bags have been removed! Hooray!
Must have something to do with Harold Camping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>> > wrote:
>> snip

>> >Do you suffer from Moobs?

>> size/sex means nothing as far as breast cancer is concerned. Don't
>> make fun, it could happen to you.
>> Janet US

> exactly my point. it's just too bad that Komen doesn't think so
>
> but in fact you are wrong. men die 4 times more frequently from
> "diagnosed"
> breast cancer than women and are far less likely to get (accurately)
> diagnosed.

How did you guys get out of my killfile? And why am I not in yours?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2011 1:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> People don't leave carts all over the parking lots here. They use the cart
> returns.

I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.

I actually once saw someone let a cart go in the parking lot from their
car to wherever it would end up. The parking lot was up hill from the
stores, so it went sailing. Yes, it hit a couple of cars. I really hate
shopping there because of the hill, but that's where my closest PetSmart
is. The last time I stocked up on kitty litter, I had the hardest time
pushing the cart up the hill, and as carts sometimes do, it had a life
of its own and ended up toppling over due to the weight. A nice
PetSmart clerk saw my troubles and came out to help me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888

> >> size/sex means nothing as far as breast cancer is concerned. Don't make
> >> fun, it could happen to you. Janet US

> > exactly my point. it's just too bad that Komen doesn't think so
> >
> > but in fact you are wrong. men die 4 times more frequently from "diagnosed"
> > breast cancer than women and are far less likely to get (accurately)
> > diagnosed.

> How did you guys get out of my killfile? And why am I not in yours?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

please don't blame your ineptitude on others
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 7:29*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

>*I really hate
> shopping there because of the hill, but that's where my closest PetSmart
> is. *The last time I stocked up on kitty litter, I had the hardest time
> pushing the cart up the hill, and as carts sometimes do, it had a life
> of its own and ended up toppling over due to the weight. *A nice
> PetSmart clerk saw my troubles and came out to help me.

Is there a Petco where you live? I like them a lot better: higher
quality products, and they're not weighed down by all the Banfield
horror stories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Oct 26, 7:29 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> I really hate
>> shopping there because of the hill, but that's where my closest
>> PetSmart is. The last time I stocked up on kitty litter, I had the
>> hardest time pushing the cart up the hill, and as carts sometimes
>> do, it had a life of its own and ended up toppling over due to the
>> weight. A nice PetSmart clerk saw my troubles and came out to help
>> me.

> Is there a Petco where you live? I like them a lot better: higher
> quality products, and they're not weighed down by all the Banfield
> horror stories.

What Banfield horror stories?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2011 10:29 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 1:44 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> People don't leave carts all over the parking lots here. They use the
>> cart
>> returns.
>>

> I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
> though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
> returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.
>
> I actually once saw someone let a cart go in the parking lot from their
> car to wherever it would end up. The parking lot was up hill from the
> stores, so it went sailing. Yes, it hit a couple of cars. I really hate
> shopping there because of the hill, but that's where my closest PetSmart
> is. The last time I stocked up on kitty litter, I had the hardest time
> pushing the cart up the hill, and as carts sometimes do, it had a life
> of its own and ended up toppling over due to the weight. A nice PetSmart
> clerk saw my troubles and came out to help me.

Frequent thing here seeing carts flying across a lot. And I know its a
stereotype by typically its someone with a giant SUV with one small bag
who leaves the cart just far enough away from their truck to back out.
The folks with multiple bags and kids in tow seem to be the ones who
walk the 20' to put their cart into the corral.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 10:29 PM, Cheryl wrote:

>> I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
>> though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
>> returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.
>>
>> I actually once saw someone let a cart go in the parking lot from
>> their car to wherever it would end up. The parking lot was up hill
>> from the stores, so it went sailing. Yes, it hit a couple of cars. I
>> really hate shopping there because of the hill, but that's where my
>> closest PetSmart is. The last time I stocked up on kitty litter, I
>> had the hardest time pushing the cart up the hill, and as carts
>> sometimes do, it had a life of its own and ended up toppling over
>> due to the weight. A nice PetSmart clerk saw my troubles and came
>> out to help me.

> Frequent thing here seeing carts flying across a lot. And I know its a
> stereotype by typically its someone with a giant SUV with one small
> bag who leaves the cart just far enough away from their truck to back
> out. The folks with multiple bags and kids in tow seem to be the ones
> who walk the 20' to put their cart into the corral.

You and I must be shopping in the same places. Exactly my experience, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:46:54 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> No place charges. It's a deposit and I think only Aldi does it here.
>> It's no big deal.

> Again, it's no big deal to people like us who can count on that
>quarter or dollar or whatever not being the difference between us going
>home with the mac and cheese in a box or the package of lettuce.

I must be missing something. You get the quarter back. If money is
that tight you're not going to be filling up a cart so you don't need
one.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:44:34 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:24:32 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > also has a plastic bag "recycle" center, so folks can dump their excess
>> > bags in there,

>> The actual recycling part is a gray area though.
>> http://www.politifact.com/oregon/sta...s/sen-mark-has
>> s-says-plastic-bags-not-really-recycla/

> They're not taken to a recycling facility. People drop them off and
>others pick them up to use.

So what's the point as long as free bags are available?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > ha scritto nel messaggio news
Cheryl wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
>>> People don't leave carts all over the parking lots here. They use the>>>
>>> cart>>> returns.
>>>

>> I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
>> though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
>> returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.

> Frequent thing here seeing carts flying across a lot.

If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:24:57 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> Also, when you have your own bags you pack your own and stuff doesn't
>> get smashed or broken.

> That is not the case here. They still pack the reusable bags, unless
>you insist otherwise.

Once it goes past the scanner it's mine and I pack. They don't have
anything to say about it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:09:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>> In Chicago, the grandmas would all have those two wheel wire mesh
>> carts to haul their groceries home. Fancier versions are popular in
>> Paris for the heavy shopping. http://www.chariot-course.com/

>I had that in NY. Required there at some stores. And necessary to get my
>groceries from my parking spot to the apartment. Parking spot wasn't
>anywhere near where I lived.

I lived on the 17th floor and the parking was in the next building.
The granny cart was a necessity.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2011 10:31 AM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
> directly when it comes to this.

One way or another, ALL expenses are passed on to the customer. My
preference would be they raise their prices to cover any increased cost
of business..... but airlines and cruise lines have been adding "fuel
surcharges" for years, and the practice of adding a surcharge is
spreading and is here to stay.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:29:53 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:44:34 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:

> > > They're not taken to a recycling facility. People drop them off and
> > >others pick them up to use.

> > So what's the point as long as free bags are available?
> >
> > Lou

> It keeps new bags from being used, thus reusing something that
> already exists. You know, reduce, reuse, then recycle.

That type of recycling is only done at one grocery store I know of
(it's BYOB and you're SOL if you forget because the recycled bags are
tiny) and nobody recycles plastic bags there - it's all paper.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:04:28 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "George" > ha scritto nel messaggio news
> Cheryl wrote:
> >>>

> >> I seem to live in a lazy community. Many leave carts everywhere even
> >> though there are cart returns available. I usually park near the cart
> >> returns for easy return after loading my vehicle.

> > Frequent thing here seeing carts flying across a lot.

> If you can only get a cart by inserting a dollar and get it back when you
> corral it again, those problems are nearly non-existent.

Maybe that works in Europe, but it doesn't work here.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:31:50 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
> directly when it comes to this.

They vote with their feet and shop elsewhere.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:36:33 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 10/27/2011 10:31 AM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>> directly when it comes to this.

>One way or another, ALL expenses are passed on to the customer. My
>preference would be they raise their prices to cover any increased cost
>of business..... but airlines and cruise lines have been adding "fuel
>surcharges" for years, and the practice of adding a surcharge is
>spreading and is here to stay.

Yep. How about the "shop charge" when you get your car serviced. Many
office buildings have an assessment for the heat/cooling and taxes.
Sometimes electric if it's on a common meter. Common areas are
proportioned out by how many sg.ft. you rent. One place I worked in
had the lights and HVAC on a computer. If you needed lights or AC
other than in the hours specified in your lease you had to call the
computer to turn them on and you were charged. One way or the other
you'll pay for everything including grocery bags.

Another way of looking at it is I bring my own so I'd rather not have
the cost of the bags built into the grocery prices. Is it fair for me
to have to pay for someone else's bags? I also bring my cart back to
the corral so it fair for me to pay for the kid wandering around the
lot collecting them?

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Trust me, there
> are people in this country for whom the quarter being available would
> matter. I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
> directly when it comes to this.

How does this mean palming off something on the consumer? The consumer
earned this by stealing, wrecking and failing to stow grocery carts. They
litter them all over the parking creatinf risj to life and limb, they are to
be fgound in ditches and alleysmiles from the store., they are left to crash
into other consumers' cars. Renting the cart and getting the money back
when you properly stow it is good for almost everyone. I bet if the old and
poor went to the manager he'd find a free one for her. Meanwhile, when you
want one it will be there, chained in a row. I know both systems very well,
and this one is better. Irritating, but better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:16:41 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:31:50 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:
>
>> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>> directly when it comes to this.

>They vote with their feet and shop elsewhere.

That's just silly. Go ahead and spend an extra twenty bucks on
groceries to save on a nickel bag.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:31:50 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:46:54 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:

>> > Again, it's no big deal to people like us who can count on that
>> >quarter or dollar or whatever not being the difference between us going
>> >home with the mac and cheese in a box or the package of lettuce.

>> I must be missing something. You get the quarter back. If money is
>> that tight you're not going to be filling up a cart so you don't need
>> one.

> We've been there where having the extra quarter or dollar at checkout
>would have made the difference. I suppose you could make sure two
>people are shopping, unload the cart and send the other to get the
>deposit back, but then you have to get it to the car. Trust me, there
>are people in this country for whom the quarter being available would
>matter. I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>directly when it comes to this.

I don't think anyone said they don't care. I just don't understand
your point of view. You get the quarter back and if you don't like
the system then shop elsewhere that will most likely be more
expensive.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:22:54 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Trust me, there
>> are people in this country for whom the quarter being available would
>> matter. I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>> directly when it comes to this.

>How does this mean palming off something on the consumer? The consumer
>earned this by stealing, wrecking and failing to stow grocery carts. They
>litter them all over the parking creatinf risj to life and limb, they are to
>be fgound in ditches and alleysmiles from the store., they are left to crash
>into other consumers' cars. Renting the cart and getting the money back
>when you properly stow it is good for almost everyone. I bet if the old and
>poor went to the manager he'd find a free one for her. Meanwhile, when you
>want one it will be there, chained in a row. I know both systems very well,
>and this one is better. Irritating, but better.

I agree with everything you said. The only place here that does the
bag charge or the cart deposit is Aldi and the savings far outweigh
the inconvenience.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2011 9:36 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 10:31 AM, Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:
>> I find it interesting that folks don't seem to care about those
>> people or the business pawning off their expenses on the consumer so
>> directly when it comes to this.

> One way or another, ALL expenses are passed on to the customer. My
> preference would be they raise their prices to cover any increased cost
> of business..... but airlines and cruise lines have been adding "fuel
> surcharges" for years, and the practice of adding a surcharge is
> spreading and is here to stay.
>
> George L

It's really annoying because you never get the total price (for
comparison shopping) until you actually commit. Surcharges are a
smoke-and-mirrors joke.

Airlines are making billions (yes) on checked baggage charges.

Conundrum: We just returned from SE Asia, flying
Bangkok-Tokyo-Minneapolis-Denver. It would have been very difficult to buy
duty-free alcohol since the duty free shops were in areas AFTER we
checked in our luggage but most of the airports had secondary carry-on
security checks between the shops and boarding areas. Couldn't buy
abroad because we no longer had checked luggage in which to ship it.
Couldn't buy after going through customs in MN because we were no longer
international. Weird. NOt really a big problem because we have found
duty free often to cost more than our local liquor store, but
what's the solution?

George: Howe do your cruise passengers who are flying home get around this?

gloria p