Margaret Suran

Default Halloween

A few weeks ago, I bragged about how well I treat the kids in my
building. Now I have to confess that things have changed.

For many years now, twenty five or so, I have prepared little bags
full of Halloween candy for the trick or treaters in our building, a
high rise with several hundred apartment, as well as very small gifts
for the really small babies and toddlers, for whom I would have small
gifts.

Yesterday I prepared eighty little bags with candy, with lots more in
reserve and today I went to the building manager and asked how many
children eighteen months and younger there are in our building. The
answer floored me: There are fifty or more, many, many of them less
than a year old. As a matter of fact, the man thought there may be
quite a few more!

This year, for the first time, I will not buy gifts for the tiniest.
When I filled out the "please come for trick or treat" sheet, I didn't
ask the babies and toddlers to come. It would be much too expensive.
In former years, there were five or ten, perhaps a dozen. I hope
that the parents will bring them around in spite of it, to show off to
all the neighbors. A few will get what I bought ahead of time. ) M

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I bragged about how well I treat the kids in my
> building. Now I have to confess that things have changed.
>
> For many years now, twenty five or so, I have prepared little bags
> full of Halloween candy for the trick or treaters in our building, a
> high rise with several hundred apartment, as well as very small gifts
> for the really small babies and toddlers, for whom I would have small
> gifts.
>
> Yesterday I prepared eighty little bags with candy, with lots more in
> reserve and today I went to the building manager and asked how many
> children eighteen months and younger there are in our building. The
> answer floored me: There are fifty or more, many, many of them less
> than a year old. As a matter of fact, the man thought there may be
> quite a few more!
>
> This year, for the first time, I will not buy gifts for the tiniest.
> When I filled out the "please come for trick or treat" sheet, I didn't
> ask the babies and toddlers to come. It would be much too expensive.
> In former years, there were five or ten, perhaps a dozen. I hope
> that the parents will bring them around in spite of it, to show off to
> all the neighbors. A few will get what I bought ahead of time. ) M

Give 'em M&Ms. "-) You know, real candy.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

PENMART01

>Give 'em M&Ms. "-) You know, real candy.
>-
>-Barb

Too late, I already ate all the M&Ms.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Dog3 writes:
>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>
>>>Barb wrote:
>>>Give 'em M&Ms. "-) You know, real candy.

>> Too late, I already ate all the M&Ms.

>Not all, I swiped a handful out of your trick or treat bag and then I ate
>all the mini milkyway bars.

Ya know, there are three kinds of turds... musturd, custurd, and you ya big
shit!~

Run, Seymore, run!

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Dog3 writes:
>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>
>>>Barb wrote:
>>>Give 'em M&Ms. "-) You know, real candy.

>> Too late, I already ate all the M&Ms.

>Not all, I swiped a handful out of your trick or treat bag and then I ate
>all the mini milkyway bars.

Ya know, there are three kinds of turds... musturd, custurd, and you ya big
shit!~

Run, Seymore, run!

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> A few weeks ago, I bragged about how well I treat the kids in my
> building. Now I have to confess that things have changed.
>
> For many years now, twenty five or so, I have prepared little bags
> full of Halloween candy for the trick or treaters in our building, a
> high rise with several hundred apartment, as well as very small gifts
> for the really small babies and toddlers, for whom I would have small
> gifts.
>
> Yesterday I prepared eighty little bags with candy, with lots more in
> reserve and today I went to the building manager and asked how many
> children eighteen months and younger there are in our building. The
> answer floored me: There are fifty or more, many, many of them less
> than a year old. As a matter of fact, the man thought there may be
> quite a few more!
>
> This year, for the first time, I will not buy gifts for the tiniest.
> When I filled out the "please come for trick or treat" sheet, I didn't
> ask the babies and toddlers to come. It would be much too expensive.
> In former years, there were five or ten, perhaps a dozen. I hope
> that the parents will bring them around in spite of it, to show off to
> all the neighbors. A few will get what I bought ahead of time. ) M

Its been several years since the last time I was home on Halloween, this
year, as I usually do, I will go over to a friend's house in Philly and
take their two kids out trick or treating and I will shoot lots of
photos of the kids in their costumes, which I will probably give out to
their parents as Christmas gifts.

In the lobby of my apartment building, there's a sign up list for
tenants who will give out candy this Halloween. Only two tenants have
signed up thus far. That's typical. In my building, there are probably
only two or three families with school age kids. Most of my neighbors
are either college students or seniors.
Nancy Young

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> In the lobby of my apartment building, there's a sign up list for
> tenants who will give out candy this Halloween. Only two tenants have
> signed up thus far. That's typical. In my building, there are probably
> only two or three families with school age kids. Most of my neighbors
> are either college students or seniors.

Even when I worked, I took off early to make sure I was home to hand
out full sized Snickers. Just my thing. But when I was a little
kid, I lived in the projects, man, you could get TONS of candy.
Okay, so much of it was that DISGUSTING candy corn. (laugh)

Thanks for the reminder, I have to polish up my front door and the
light. Don't want to scare the kid's parents!

nancy
jmcquown

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>
>> A few weeks ago, I bragged about how well I treat the kids in my
>> building. Now I have to confess that things have changed.
>>
>> For many years now, twenty five or so, I have prepared little bags
>> full of Halloween candy for the trick or treaters in our building, a
>> high rise with several hundred apartment, as well as very small gifts
>> for the really small babies and toddlers, for whom I would have small
>> gifts.

(snippage)
>> This year, for the first time, I will not buy gifts for the tiniest.
>> When I filled out the "please come for trick or treat" sheet, I
>> didn't ask the babies and toddlers to come. It would be much too
>> expensive. In former years, there were five or ten, perhaps a
>> dozen. I hope
>> that the parents will bring them around in spite of it, to show off
>> to all the neighbors. A few will get what I bought ahead of time.
>> ) M

> Its been several years since the last time I was home on Halloween,
> this year, as I usually do, I will go over to a friend's house in
> Philly and take their two kids out trick or treating and I will shoot
> lots of photos of the kids in their costumes, which I will probably
> give out to their parents as Christmas gifts.
>
> In the lobby of my apartment building, there's a sign up list for
> tenants who will give out candy this Halloween. Only two tenants have
> signed up thus far. That's typical. In my building, there are probably
> only two or three families with school age kids. Most of my neighbors
> are either college students or seniors.

My apartment complex sends out a monthly newsletter. They specifically
asked parents not to have kids knock on doors unless the front porch light
is on. This is the indicator that the resident has treats for the kids.
There are very few children in this complex and the majority of them are
located on one end of it. When I first moved in 8 years ago I bought candy.
No one knocked on the door. I don't bother anymore.

It's not like it used to be when kids could scour several neighborhoods and
come home with tons of treats. Parents are just too scared (sadly, rightly
so) to let their kids knock on the doors of strangers. Around here, schools
organize Halloween parties for the kids. A few churches do, too, if they
aren't of the belief that Halloween somehow represents satanic worship.

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stan
Horwitz > wrote:
> In the lobby of my apartment building, there's a sign up list for
> tenants who will give out candy this Halloween. Only two tenants have
> signed up thus far. That's typical. In my building, there are probably
> only two or three families with school age kids. Most of my neighbors
> are either college students or seniors.

Get crackin' on the Jell-o shots, Stan!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Who needs Halloween? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 20 25-10-2011 02:17 AM
Welcome HALLOWEEN UMMM General Cooking 0 14-10-2011 04:50 PM
Halloween Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 20 31-08-2011 07:44 PM
Something different for Halloween? Help! Nexis General Cooking 19 04-11-2004 08:28 AM
Halloween Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 20 15-10-2004 03:53 PM