Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm not much of a baker...

so how did I end up with so much cake flour!

Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I have a lot of quick cooking
oats; so I am appealing to you creative bakers for any recipes that
would help me use these up before they get stale.
Oh, and I'm not looking to use them both in the same recipe.

I have all the basic baking "stuff" and ingredients, nuts, chocolate
chips, extracts, baking soda and powder etc...

TIA

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Koko wrote:

>Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I
>have a lot of quick cooking oats; so I am >appealing to you creative

bakers for any
> recipes that would help me use these up
> before they get stale. Oh, and I'm not
> looking to use them both in the same
> recipe.

>I have all the basic baking "stuff" and
> ingredients, nuts, chocolate chips, >extracts, baking soda and powder

etc...

Have you tried cooking the quick oats just to eat? They are extremely
healthy for a person, and my doctor suggested some time ago for me to
eat a bowl of every day, to help lower cholesterol. I cook it in the
microwave with milk, some cinnamon and a hand full of raisins. I don't
use a sweetener, but could use a little honey, or brown sugar, and could
add any kind of fruit, or berries to change up the flavor.

If you want to bake though, of course there is always wonderful oatmeal
cookies, and I have great recipes for Oatmeal Muffins and Oatmeal Pie,
if you're interested, and also a couple of cakes. I think one of them
does us chocolate chips on top.

I only use cake flour for my "special", so it lasts me quite awhile, as
otherwise, I just use whole wheat or all-purpose white flour for regular
baking, with great results.

Be sure and check dates on the cake flour, and especially the baking
powder and soda, as using those up by that date is important, and could
make, or break a recipe.

Good Luck!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 2:32*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> Be sure and check dates on the cake flour, and especially the baking
> powder and soda, as using those up by that date is important, and could
> make, or break a recipe.

Cake flour does not have baking powder and soda in it unless it states
it's self-rising. I've not seen any self-rising cake flour around
here, it may be available elsewhere but I've not come across it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 2:48*pm, wrote:
> so how did I end up with so much cake flour!
>
> Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I have a lot of quick cooking
> oats; so I am appealing to you creative bakers for any recipes that
> would help me use these up before they get stale.
> Oh, and I'm not looking to use them both in the same recipe.
>
> I have all the basic baking "stuff" and ingredients, nuts, chocolate
> chips, extracts, baking soda and powder etc...
>
> TIA
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com* * *
>
> Natural Watkins Spiceswww.apinchofspices.com

Aw, just use the flour for brownies etc. Start eating a hot cooked
b'fast - winter's not far off. Well, least it's not like you have
hundreds of dollars ties up in this stuff, huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 2:48 pm, wrote:

>> so how did I end up with so much cake flour!
>>
>> Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I have a lot of quick cooking
>> oats; so I am appealing to you creative bakers for any recipes that
>> would help me use these up before they get stale.
>> Oh, and I'm not looking to use them both in the same recipe.
>>
>> I have all the basic baking "stuff" and ingredients, nuts, chocolate
>> chips, extracts, baking soda and powder etc...
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> koko
>> --
>> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>> James Beard
>>
>> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>>
>> Natural Watkins Spiceswww.apinchofspices.com

Granola

6 cups rolled oats
2 cups slivered almonds
2 cups assorted mixed nuts
1 1/2 cups shredded sweet coconut
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or date sugar)
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup craisins, dried blueberries, dates or other dried fruit

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except for the
dried fruit. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2-4 sheet pans. Cook
for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even
color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add dried fruit and mix
until evenly distributed.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

For Christmas presents, you could make pretty layered oatmeal
chocolate chip cookie mix in jars, or oatmeal bath:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemad...ilk-bath.shtml

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:02:43 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I'd make the quick cooking oats into cookies or add it to breads.

It's fall, so toppings for crisps too.

Apple Crisp

Ingredients

* 7 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced (or mix apples and firm
pears)
* 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup rolled oats
* 1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Method

Preheat oven to 375°F.

1 In a mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, and vanilla. Toss to
combine.

2 Layer sliced apples in a 9 x 12-inch (or approximately the same
size) baking pan.

3 Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and oatmeal in a bowl. Cut in the
butter. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples.

4 Bake 45 minutes or until topping looks crunchy and apples are
tender.

Serves 8.

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas?????? was .... I'm not much of a baker...

On 19/10/2011 5:02 PM, Tara wrote:
> For Christmas presents, you could make pretty layered oatmeal
> chocolate chip cookie mix in jars, or oatmeal bath:
>
> http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemad...ilk-bath.shtml

Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time
to start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
in exchange for some of the cakes. Maybe this year I should suggest
that they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 4:24*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 19/10/2011 5:02 PM, Tara wrote:
>
> > For Christmas presents, you could make pretty layered oatmeal
> > chocolate chip cookie mix in *jars, or oatmeal bath:

> >http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemad...ilk-bath.shtml

> Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time
> to start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
> batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
> in exchange for some of the cakes. *Maybe this year I should suggest
> that they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

Sounds like a good idea, a little family time would be nice.

What kind of Christmas cakes do you make??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-10-19, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time
> to start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
> batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
> in exchange for some of the cakes. Maybe this year I should suggest
> that they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

I found a great rum fruitcake recipe in a back issue of Fine Cooking
I'm going to try. Similar to ChrisDs recipe, but lotta rum. I can't
wait!

Wait! ....here it is:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/s...fruitcake.aspx

enjoy =D
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Oct 2011 21:33:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-10-19, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time
> > to start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
> > batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
> > in exchange for some of the cakes. Maybe this year I should suggest
> > that they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

> I found a great rum fruitcake recipe in a back issue of Fine Cooking
> I'm going to try. Similar to ChrisDs recipe, but lotta rum. I can't
> wait!
>
> Wait! ....here it is:
>
> http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/s...fruitcake.aspx

Thanks for posting! Just looking at the picture, I can tell it's my
kind of fruitcake. Even the ratio of fruit to cake is almost perfect
IMO, because I like lots of cake around the fruit.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/10/2011 5:27 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

>> Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time
>> to start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
>> batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
>> in exchange for some of the cakes. Maybe this year I should suggest
>> that they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

> Sounds like a good idea, a little family time would be nice.
>
> What kind of Christmas cakes do you make??

It's a light fruitcake. I love the dark stuff too, but I can`t eat nuts
and dark fruitcake isn`t fruitcake without nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 19/10/2011 5:02 PM, Tara wrote:
>> For Christmas presents, you could make pretty layered oatmeal

> Yipes..... there is the first mention of Christmas. I guess it is time to
> start thinking about making my Christmas cakes. Last year I made two
> batches. I was recuperating from surgery and my brothers came to help me
> in exchange for some of the cakes. Maybe this year I should suggest that
> they chip in for the ingredients and we will spend a day a making them.

I'd suggest that. Have a family thing where everyone pitches in.
(Especially if the big niece is going to be there.)

I ran to the store today to pick up a few items. It's not even Halloween
yet but they had aisles filled with Christmas decorations. Oh good lord,
when are the merchandizers going to cut that out? I'm not thinking about
Christmas in October.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>It's a light fruitcake. I love the dark stuff
> too, but I can`t eat nuts and dark
> fruitcake isn`t fruitcake without nuts.

Dave, would you mind sharing that fruitcake recipe in here, or is it a
treasured family recipe, that you don't like to give out? I like nuts,
but my hubby, nor most of the rest of our family care for nuts in
things. As you said, all of the dark ones seem to be loaded with nuts,
but even all of the light ones I've seen too, and wasn't sure how they'd
turn out, if I just omitted the nuts. Anyway, I love making fruitcakes,
and am really interested in this one you make! Thanks!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

first thing that comes to mind is oatmeal cookies for the holidays, also
next time you make banana bread spurize yourself with some oats in there,
its excellent, Lee
> wrote in message
>
> so how did I end up with so much cake flour!
>
> Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I have a lot of quick cooking
> oats; so I am appealing to you creative bakers for any recipes that
> would help me use these up before they get stale.
> Oh, and I'm not looking to use them both in the same recipe.
>
> I have all the basic baking "stuff" and ingredients, nuts, chocolate
> chips, extracts, baking soda and powder etc...
>
> TIA
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>
> Natural Watkins Spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 01:59:17 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>first thing that comes to mind is oatmeal cookies for the holidays, also
>next time you make banana bread spurize yourself with some oats in there,
>its excellent, Lee
> wrote in message
.. .

>> so how did I end up with so much cake flour!
>>
>> Not only do I have a lot of cake flour I have a lot of quick cooking
>> oats; so I am appealing to you creative bakers for any recipes that
>> would help me use these up before they get stale.
>> Oh, and I'm not looking to use them both in the same recipe.
>>
>> I have all the basic baking "stuff" and ingredients, nuts, chocolate
>> chips, extracts, baking soda and powder etc...
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> koko
>> --
>> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>> James Beard
>>
>> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>>
>> Natural Watkins Spices
>> www.apinchofspices.com

Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I knew I asked at the right
place.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

A BAKER'S STORY Brooklyn1 General Cooking 10 05-01-2017 09:15 PM
No baker is perfect Cindi - HappyMamatoThree General Cooking 3 22-01-2007 03:55 AM
New Baker [email protected] Baking 1 06-02-2005 12:27 AM
Merry Baker PENMART01 General Cooking 0 23-12-2004 06:21 PM
Inept baker question - Baker's brownie recipe brushfire General Cooking 8 27-07-2004 07:48 PM