Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Restaurant reviewers

Quite a few years back, I read a restaurant review about the place
that I worked at. First off, the reviewer made a negComment
concerning the goulash. He said there was a thin layer of fat on the
surface. So what? Then he went on to bless our home made apple pie
which wasn't home made at all. It was purchased frozen, and baked in
our oven. Sheesh. I read treat all restaurant reviews with a grain
of salt. I'm pretty sure that they are mostly accurate, but I'm also
sure that they make mistakes.
Recently, a reviewer here, praised the schnitzel at an area
restaurant. He liked the schnitzel, because it was thin and crispy.
I don't like the sound of the word 'crispy' when reviewing Wiener
Schnitzel. I've never had a crispy schnitzel. In Vienna, the
Schnitzel (veal, most excellent) I had was not crispy. It wasn't
soggy mind you, but it wasn't crispy.
I don't like the word 'thin' either. It's a relative term, but
looking at both words, and I think the reviewer does not know what a
classical Wiener Schnitzel is. There is a restaurant here that
specializes in Schnitzel. They deep fry them, and I've heard them
referred to as being crispy. I think our reviewer has become trained
in analyzing WS made in an entirely different manner that was
intended.