Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

Default How to cook with temperature probe in old Sharp Carousel II R-7350?

I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
this model online.

I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
happens.

Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
to do this?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

On 10/15/2011 2:40 PM, Doc wrote:
> I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
> temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
> this model online.
>
> I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
> want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
> pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
> input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
> the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
> happens.
>
> Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> to do this?
>
> Thanks

http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Sh.../Microwave/67/

You'll need to know exactly which model you have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 15, 5:19*pm, Pennyaline > wrote:

> > Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> > to do this?

> > Thanks

> http://www.hammerwall.com/Manuals/Sh.../Microwave/67/
>
> You'll need to know exactly which model you have.

Thanks, tried that site and the Sharp site, neither have the manual
for the R-7350.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:40:13 -0700 (PDT), Doc >
wrote:

>I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
>temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
>this model online.
>
>I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
>want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
>pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
>input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
>the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
>happens.

It might help to locate the owner's manual with the model number and
serial number... should be on the unit... and I think Sharp is still
in business, contact their customer service.
http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

"Doc" > wrote in message
>I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
> temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
> this model online.
>
> I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
> want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
> pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
> input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
> the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
> happens.
>
> Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> to do this?
>
> Thanks

might the next step be to push a power level?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 15, 4:40*pm, Doc > wrote:
> I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
> temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
> this model online.
>
> I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
> want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
> pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
> input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
> the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
> happens.
>
> Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> to do this?
>
> Thanks

The temperature probe plugs into a socket in the cavity wall, no? I
had a zapper like that, but it had an air-driven "wave mixer", not a
turntable, a.k.a. carousel. The food remained still and the whole
square bottom was usable space. If you find out how to use a
temperature probe in a carousel-type zapper, please post it here to
assuage my curiosity.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.house

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
On Oct 15, 4:40 pm, Doc > wrote:
> I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
> temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
> this model online.
>
> I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
> want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
> pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
> input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
> the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
> happens.
>
> Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> to do this?
>
> Thanks

The temperature probe plugs into a socket in the cavity wall, no? I
had a zapper like that, but it had an air-driven "wave mixer", not a
turntable, a.k.a. carousel. The food remained still and the whole
square bottom was usable space. If you find out how to use a
temperature probe in a carousel-type zapper, please post it here to
assuage my curiosity.

1. calculate approximately how many turns of the table will be made based on
the length of your cook.

2. pre-untwist the probe cable by one half of the number of turns calculated
in step 1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jerry Avins > wrote:

> On Oct 15, 4:40*pm, Doc > wrote:
> > I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
> > temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
> > this model online.
> >
> > I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
> > want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
> > pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
> > input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
> > the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
> > happens.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
> > to do this?
> >
> > Thanks

> The temperature probe plugs into a socket in the cavity wall, no? I
> had a zapper like that, but it had an air-driven "wave mixer", not a
> turntable, a.k.a. carousel. The food remained still and the whole
> square bottom was usable space. If you find out how to use a
> temperature probe in a carousel-type zapper, please post it here to
> assuage my curiosity.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

I've never seen a turntable in anything other than a microwave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In >,
> Jerry > wrote:
>
>> On Oct 15, 4:40 pm, > wrote:
>>> I have a Sharp Carousel II circa 1984 and want to try cooking with the
>>> temperature probe. I don't have the manual and can't locate one for
>>> this model online.
>>>
>>> I've been using it for years, still works great but just for grins
>>> want to try cooking a chicken with the temp probe. No combo of button
>>> pushes seems to work. Probe in bird, plugged in the receptacle. If I
>>> input 165 on the touchpad and then press "Temp" it brings up 165 f on
>>> the display, if I push the "cook" button, it beeps but nothing
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> Anyone familiar with this oven or some close cousin who can advise how
>>> to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> The temperature probe plugs into a socket in the cavity wall, no? I
>> had a zapper like that, but it had an air-driven "wave mixer", not a
>> turntable, a.k.a. carousel. The food remained still and the whole
>> square bottom was usable space. If you find out how to use a
>> temperature probe in a carousel-type zapper, please post it here to
>> assuage my curiosity.
>>
>> Jerry
>> --
>> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

> I've never seen a turntable in anything other than a microwave

Turn the carousel off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Pennyaline > wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 5:20 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > In
> > >,
> > Jerry > wrote:

> >> The temperature probe plugs into a socket in the cavity wall, no? I
> >> had a zapper like that, but it had an air-driven "wave mixer", not a
> >> turntable, a.k.a. carousel. The food remained still and the whole
> >> square bottom was usable space. If you find out how to use a
> >> temperature probe in a carousel-type zapper, please post it here to
> >> assuage my curiosity.

All the wave stirrers I've seen were driven by a motor, usually the same
one that powered the fan. I'm sure I've seen units that had both a
stirrer and a turntable.

> Turn the carousel off.

That's what you have to do. If there is no switch, then you remove the
turntable. On mine, you then remove the little wheeled dingus that the
turntable rotates on, and put it aside. Generally you need to put the
turntable back in the microwave. There needs to be space between the
food and the metal floor of the oven.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 9:56*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *Pennyaline > wrote:
> > On 10/16/2011 5:20 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > > In

> All the wave stirrers I've seen were driven by a motor, usually the same
> one that powered the fan. *I'm sure I've seen units that had both a
> stirrer and a turntable.
>
> > Turn the carousel off.

> That's what you have to do. *If there is no switch, then you remove the
> turntable. *On mine, you then remove the little wheeled dingus that the
> turntable rotates on, and put it aside. *Generally you need to put the
> turntable back in the microwave. *There needs to be space between the
> food and the metal floor of the oven.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

The "little wheeled dingus" supports the rim of the turntable. The non-
removable center thingie engages the turntable and makes it turn. The
turntable will wobble without the dingus, but it will try to turn
anyway.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Jerry Avins > wrote:

> On Oct 16, 9:56*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *Pennyaline > wrote:

> > > Turn the carousel off.

> > That's what you have to do. *If there is no switch, then you remove the
> > turntable. *On mine, you then remove the little wheeled dingus that the
> > turntable rotates on, and put it aside. *Generally you need to put the
> > turntable back in the microwave. *There needs to be space between the
> > food and the metal floor of the oven.

> The "little wheeled dingus" supports the rim of the turntable. The non-
> removable center thingie engages the turntable and makes it turn. The
> turntable will wobble without the dingus, but it will try to turn
> anyway.

I guess you have a different design. My "little wheeled dingus"
includes the center post. The turntable doesn't wobble because there is
a circular well in the middle. With the "little wheeled dingus"
removed, the turntable rests very securely on the edge of the well.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA