Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Indian flat breads

What are the differences between chapati, roti, paratha? Regional
preferences? Used differently? (How so?)

TIA.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:08:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What are the differences between chapati, roti, paratha? Regional
>preferences? Used differently? (How so?)
>
>TIA.

Do you mean the actual physical differences or uses? Some are just
accompaniments, some incorporate the meal itself in stuffing and some
are used almost as utensils to transfer food from plate/leaf to mouth.

A lot of the variability in texture and cooking depends on the
grains/legumes used in the dough/batter and the fillings. This, of
course, is regional availability and tradition.

Interesting that you brought it up today, as we had lunch at an Indian
restaurant today and I am a big naan fan. This place has superb naan.
One of the things I like about visiting Indian restaurants is the
variety of flat breads.

I have a book, but (and I hate to admit it), but Wiki-o-the-moment has
a decent article about the basics.

I can dig out a couple of books if you have specific questions and
frankly, it's been awhile since I heard your voice....I could find a
phone, too.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2011 2:08 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What are the differences between chapati, roti, paratha? Regional
> preferences? Used differently? (How so?)
>
> TIA.

Roti is an unleavened flatbread. It is eaten just like bread is used. I
think it is usually made from whole wheat flour. Paratha have ghee in
the dough and are cooked by frying and usually stuffed (you put say
potato in the dough ball and roll it out). Both are easy to make.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:08:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >What are the differences between chapati, roti, paratha? Regional
> >preferences? Used differently? (How so?)
> >
> >TIA.

> Do you mean the actual physical differences or uses?

Yes. :-)
(snip)
> I have a book, but (and I hate to admit it), but Wiki-o-the-moment has
> a decent article about the basics.
>
> I can dig out a couple of books if you have specific questions and
> frankly, it's been awhile since I heard your voice....I could find a
> phone, too.
>
> Boron

Generalities would do it. Phone and you'd just have to hear my sad
stories -- and even I am getting tired of them.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Generalities would do it. Phone and you'd just have to hear my sad
> stories -- and even I am getting tired of them.

Whatever they are, throw them to the breezes. We love you or at least the
sane ones do.