Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now that autumn is here...

It's time to seek out new ideas for autumn dishes. Here's one from the Beast
(Portland) menu:

Ribbons of Fall Vegetables: carrots, parsnips, chives, shiso, orange oil,
and aged Sauvignon Blanc vinaigrette.

Here are a couple from the French Laundry:

Pumpkin velouté with spice-bread croutons, prunes, and mizuna

Camembert with bacon & apple marmalade, frisée, and pickled pomegranate

....and from Alinea:

Venison in savory granola with celery-root purée and cherry sauce. (The
"granola" is made from toasted oats, onions, celery root, dried cherries,
pistachios, and puffed rice. It's flavored with salt, pepper, allspice, and
honey.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> It's time to seek out new ideas for autumn dishes. Here's one from the
> Beast
> (Portland) menu:
>
> Ribbons of Fall Vegetables: carrots, parsnips, chives, shiso, orange oil,
> and aged Sauvignon Blanc vinaigrette.
>

> Here are a couple from the French Laundry:
>
> Pumpkin velouté with spice-bread croutons, prunes, and mizuna
>
> Camembert with bacon & apple marmalade, frisée, and pickled pomegranate
>

> ...and from Alinea:
>
> Venison in savory granola with celery-root purée and cherry sauce. (The
> "granola" is made from toasted oats, onions, celery root, dried cherries,
> pistachios, and puffed rice. It's flavored with salt, pepper, allspice,
> and honey.)
>

> Bob

Venison, granola and celery root? Yuck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 3:38 PM, Kswck wrote:
> "Bob > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> It's time to seek out new ideas for autumn dishes. Here's one from the
>> Beast
>> (Portland) menu:
>>
>> Ribbons of Fall Vegetables: carrots, parsnips, chives, shiso, orange oil,
>> and aged Sauvignon Blanc vinaigrette.
>>

>> Here are a couple from the French Laundry:
>>
>> Pumpkin velouté with spice-bread croutons, prunes, and mizuna
>>
>> Camembert with bacon& apple marmalade, frisée, and pickled pomegranate
>>

>> ...and from Alinea:
>>
>> Venison in savory granola with celery-root purée and cherry sauce. (The
>> "granola" is made from toasted oats, onions, celery root, dried cherries,
>> pistachios, and puffed rice. It's flavored with salt, pepper, allspice,
>> and honey.)
>>

>> Bob
>>

> Venison, granola and celery root? Yuck.

Did Bob Terwilliger have to be so cryptic and not explain that mizuna is
Japanese mustard as I had to find out? :-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> It's time to seek out new ideas for autumn dishes. Here's one from
>> the Beast
>> (Portland) menu:
>>
>> Ribbons of Fall Vegetables: carrots, parsnips, chives, shiso,
>> orange
>> oil, and aged Sauvignon Blanc vinaigrette.
>>
>> Here are a couple from the French Laundry:
>> Pumpkin velouté with spice-bread croutons, prunes, and mizuna
>> Camembert with bacon & apple marmalade, frisée, and pickled
>> pomegranate
>> ...and from Alinea:
>> Venison in savory granola with celery-root purée and cherry sauce.
>> (The "granola" is made from toasted oats, onions, celery root,
>> dried
>> cherries, pistachios, and puffed rice. It's flavored with salt,
>> pepper, allspice, and honey.)

Somebody is playing pin-the-tail-on-the donkey with a long list of
ingredients.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

>>> Pumpkin velouté with spice-bread croutons, prunes, and mizuna

> Did Bob Terwilliger have to be so cryptic and not explain that mizuna is
> Japanese mustard as I had to find out? :-)

I've seen it called mizuna *much* more often than anything else. If I saw
the term "Japanese mustard" I wouldn't have known what it was.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

>> Venison in savory granola with celery-root purée and cherry sauce. (The
>> "granola" is made from toasted oats, onions, celery root, dried cherries,
>> pistachios, and puffed rice. It's flavored with salt, pepper, allspice,
>> and honey.)
>>

> Venison, granola and celery root? Yuck.

The granola is probably not what you think of as granola. Call it a soft
toasted-oat crust if it helps. The celery root plays two parts in the
original dish. It's cut into thin strips, fried, and dehydrated so that it
resembles shredded coconut in texture (but not in flavor, of course). It's
also cooked until soft and puréed; that purée is served alongside the
crusted venison with a dried-cherry sauce.

Bob

Getting together my teas for autumn toci Tea 3 02-09-2014 06:04 PM
Hot tea for autumn toci Tea 3 25-09-2013 10:50 PM
Mmmm, autumn Serene Vannoy General Cooking 4 15-11-2008 08:05 AM
Autumn Cheesecake SS main Recipes (moderated) 0 15-11-2006 05:07 AM
What I did on my autumn vacation... Jack Schidt® General Cooking 12 23-10-2003 04:26 AM