Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

I've contended in the past that some foods are better when prepared at
home than when you get them in a restaurant. Risotto is an example
I've cited in particular, because restaurants take shortcuts which
detract from the quality of the risotto. Paella is a similar story,
and it pains me to note that many restaurants don't even bother to use
anything *close* to the right kind of rice for paella, assuming that
their customers are too ignorant to recognize the difference.

On the other hand, bouillabaise would be better in a restaurant,
because in order to make a "proper" bouillabaise you need to make
enough for more than a dozen people. (Well, maybe it would be
practical for Ranee to make at *her* home, but not for most of us.)

Grilled steak is a tossup: If you're in charge of cooking your own
steak, you can make it *exactly* the way you want it, but that's
balanced by the fact that restaurants often can get a better quality
of meat than what is available to consumers, and in many cases
restaurants have equipment which can create a heating surface much
hotter than what you can get at home.

What do you think are other foods which are better at home? What is
better to order in a restaurant?

Bob

Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
news
[...]

In most cases I have found that the food is not better in a restaurant at
all. I've never been able to make a good grilled cheese or tuna melt at
home. And really I hate making sandwiches at all. Someone once told me
that a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makes it. I think
this is true.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Someone once told me
that a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makes it. I think
this is true.

you must have missed that Dr. Phil episode, where he was telling the husband
that he should go out of his way to make his wife feel loved, and then sided
with her when she told the husband to "make his own damn sandwich" since she
couldn't be bothered to learn how to make a better sandwich.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 12:41*pm, Bob Terwilliger
wrote:
[...]

For me both taste excellent. The reason is that I very rarely order
at a restaurant what I make at home. I'm very fastidious and am
nearly always disappointed if I order something that I can cook
myself.

I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
wrote:

For me both taste excellent. The reason is that I very rarely order
at a restaurant what I make at home. I'm very fastidious and am
nearly always disappointed if I order something that I can cook
myself.

I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

I don't usually order what I make with any regularity at home either,
but I would order bouillabaisse because I don't make it at home. Same
with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
yet) and risotto... I love most of the restaurant versions I've had.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot

Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

For me both taste excellent. The reason is that I very rarely order
at a restaurant what I make at home. I'm very fastidious and am
nearly always disappointed if I order something that I can cook
myself.

I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

I don't usually order what I make with any regularity at home either,
but I would order bouillabaisse because I don't make it at home. Same
with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
yet) and risotto... I love most of the restaurant versions I've had.

I've generally found that a lot of Middle Eastern and Indian broiled
foods taste better at restaurants than when I make them; kebabs and
tandoori food are examples. The rice they serve is usually better than
mine too.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:41:46 -0700, Bob Terwilliger
wrote:

What do you think are other foods which are better at home? What is
better to order in a restaurant?

Restaurants cook seafood much better than I do. I imagine they have
a source of better seafood along with better equipment and skills. I
usually order seafood at a restaurant for this reason.

Tara
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:56:30 -0400, James Silverton
wrote:

I've generally found that a lot of Middle Eastern and Indian broiled
foods taste better at restaurants than when I make them; kebabs and
tandoori food are examples. The rice they serve is usually better than
mine too.

I've only recently started stuck my toe into the waters of middle
eastern cooking and don't do Indian at all. They're mainly restaurant
food for me, but not even once a year. I have a refrigerator *full*
of western herb & spices, I don't want to procure any more.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
On 10/10/2011 5:48 PM, sf wrote:

Helpful person wrote:

For me both taste excellent. The reason is that I very rarely order
at a restaurant what I make at home. I'm very fastidious and am
nearly always disappointed if I order something that I can cook
myself.

I don't eat at exotic restaurants, and i choose restaurants with menus i
can understand. Where i have some idea what i order is. Often times
ordering a "chicken fried steak" if its on the menu, but since moving to
California i have been so consistently disappointed i had to learn to
make it myself.

I can't speak for risotto as it's not one of my favorites, however I
take issue with Bouillabaisse. I make my own fish stock and have
never had anything that comes close at a restaurant.

I have never made enough bouillabaisse to get good at it. Plus im on a
phone tree that alerts me when a certain Lady in Berkeley pulls out her
big cauldron and starts boiling down her seafood over an open wood fire,
on her terrace, creating a hugh amount of her locally famous bouillabaisse

I don't usually order what I make with any regularity at home either,

I am often curious about meat loaf on a menu, but i don't patronize
"chains" or franchises, really don't consider them, along with macdonlds
& burger king & their ilk "restaurants".

but I would order bouillabaisse because I don't make it at home. Same
with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
yet) and risotto... I love most of the restaurant versions I've had.

There are a number of very complex dishes, recipes i have not even tried
to make, a few i have like gumbo or an estouffade while .... successful
and actually quite good, i never the less make so rarely as to be unable
to claim any expertise in either making or eating them
..

I've generally found that a lot of Middle Eastern and Indian broiled
foods taste better at restaurants than when I make them; kebabs and
tandoori food are examples. The rice they serve is usually better than
mine too.

2 thing i consistently notice are French fries and falafel.

I have never been able to make them at home as well as those produced in
some restaurants (though better than in others)

I have been told that many places re use the oil that both the french
fries and falafel's are deep fried in, and done well, this creates a
flavour in the foods cooked in the oil that cant be had with one use of
the oil to cook one batch of food the way i sometimes do at home.
--
JL
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

I can't make Thai food for squat so we go out. We make great pizza but
a local place makes some awesome pizza so we go there once in a while.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Terwilliger[_1_] View Post
[...]

Ah, i totally agree. Food cooked at home is usually amazing if done right. Of course fast food isn't meant for quality, and even at many restaurants they have ways to get the more for their buck my giving us food that isn't the best quality. Plus, when you cook your own food, you decide the ingredients, and you get a sense of accomplishment when it's done.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:19:45 -0700, "M. JL Esq."
wrote:

I don't eat at exotic restaurants, and i choose restaurants with menus i
can understand. Where i have some idea what i order is. Often times
ordering a "chicken fried steak" if its on the menu, but since moving to
California i have been so consistently disappointed i had to learn to
make it myself.

I ordered chicken fried steak for the first time to see what that's
all about. It was good, but it's not good enough to want to make it
at home... or to even order it again, but my curiosity was satisfied.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:41:46 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:48:24 -0700, sf wrote:

Same
with paella (although I haven't had a restaurant version that I like
yet)

We still have to make paella, when I get back up to the bay area. I
will be back this coming weekend. I brought my paella book and pan...

Okay, we'll make a date for that! Remember, no shellfish.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:16:07 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
wrote:

Although I make a
delicious faux gyro, making it without the spit is a challenge.

Do you make the one with sliced meat? I have never warmed up to the
meatloaf version.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:44:44 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:05:59 -0700, sf wrote:

I've only recently started stuck my toe into the waters of middle
eastern cooking

I just ordered Paula Wolfert's new book, The Food of Morocco, which is
a redo of her classic Couscous and Other Good Food of Morocco. I
will be bringing it back with me, to the bay area this coming weekend.

Great!