Old 13-10-2011, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

merryb wrote:
On Oct 12, 9:04 pm, Dan Abel wrote:
In article om,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Julie wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be
home for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be
upset. But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere
else on a whim. That leaves me with a portion of food that may or
may not be eaten on another day. And most likely not. Sometimes he
does this several days in a row and then he blames me for cooking
too much food!

I wonder what his side of the story is.

I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today.
When I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's
magazine. In the front, there was a regular feature. I don't
remember the details, but I think it was a husband and wife telling
their stories about their marriage. The stories were completely
different, but about the same things. I didn't understand how two
people could have such radically different views about the same
exact things. Later on I grew up.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Well, you grew up- apparently these 2 haven't figured it out yet. I do
find it curious that Julie hasn't defended herself- maybe she is
allergic/doesn't like to.

There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
to defend.

Old 13-10-2011, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
to defend.

I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?

You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
walk through it.

George L
Old 13-10-2011, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 8:23*am, George Leppla wrote:
On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

There's really no point! *Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. *See? *You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. *I know what's going on. *There is nothing
to defend.

I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?

You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
walk through it.

George L

Aaaaand...here we are. A perfectly okay thread is now about her.
Mission accomplished. She doesn't even have to comment any more.
Old 13-10-2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote in message
"merryb" wrote in message

On Oct 11, 3:33 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Steve Pope wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be
home for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be
upset. But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere
else on a whim. That leaves me with a portion of food that may or
may not be eaten on another day. And most likely not. Sometimes
he does this several days in a row and then he blames me for
cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food immediately.
And that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out...

Or if he wants his food immediately he can bloody well make himself dinner
out of whatever he finds in the fridge. Jeez, what some people put up
with!

Felice

YAY Felice! It appears even in 2011 some guys still think of wives as
personal slaves.

When I was married I'd work a full day at the office, then come home and
cook dinner. And he wouldn't bother to call and tell me if he was eating
somewhere else, usually his mother's house, and not because she was a
wonderful cook. (I still can't get the image of that soupy "dressing" she
served at Thanksgiving out of my head.) So except to make a little
something for myself, I stopped cooking dinner. I'd worked all day. I was
tired. I figured if he couldn't bother to call I wasn't going to slave in
the kitchen hoping he'd show up. There's the kitchen. Knock yourself out.

Jill

Old 13-10-2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 6:52 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Kalmia wrote:
On Oct 11, 5:45 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be
home for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be
upset. But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere
else on a whim. That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
then he blames me for cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

Steve

Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
sandwich...........sheesh.

I don't eat lunch. And I generally don't eat leftovers. Unless it is
something I intentionally planned to eat later.

As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. And I'm not saying
any
more on that.

Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...

This is to Julie (sorry to piggyback, merry, 've got the drama queen
killfiled).

Then don't say anything, Julie. If he can't make his own a sandwich then
mommy didn't cut the apron strings soon enough. I've never met a man who
couldn't make a sandwich. Sheesh, woman, grow a backbone. If he's not
working late and he's not coming home, where the hell does he go? Probably
away from your whining self. But I'd think having dinner ready on demand
would be the least of your worries.

An aside: why is it you don't eat leftovers? You mentioned making "too
much food" but you don't eat leftovers. So what do you do, just throw
perfectly good food away? Don't let me catch you complaining about your
grocery bill any time soon.

Jill

Old 13-10-2011, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

You're giving man advice?
Old 13-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquown[_2_] View Post
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Now that you mentioned it. I also am wondering what are you doing with leftovers? Well it can still be eaten unless it is easily spoiled food.
Old 13-10-2011, 04:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message

Then don't say anything, Julie. *If he can't make his own a sandwich then
mommy didn't cut the apron strings soon enough. *I've never met a man who
couldn't make a sandwich. *Sheesh, woman, grow a backbone. *If he's not
working late and he's not coming home, where the hell does he go? *Probably
away from your whining self. *But I'd think having dinner ready on demand
would be the least of your worries.

An aside: *why is it you don't eat leftovers? *You mentioned making "too
much food" but you don't eat leftovers. *So what do you do, just throw
perfectly good food away? *Don't let me catch you complaining about your
grocery bill any time soon.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

You're giving man advice?

Next will be child rearing.

Lou
Old 13-10-2011, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2011 1:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Well, you grew up- apparently these 2 haven't figured it out yet. I do
find it curious that Julie hasn't defended herself- maybe she is
allergic/doesn't like to.

There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
to defend.

Oh hell. You got exactly what you wanted. You got the thread turned
around to be about you and your messed up dysfunctional life. If you
didn't want people dumping on you you wouldn't be sharing this
ridiculous information with us.

Old 13-10-2011, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

In article ,
sf wrote:

Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
their family's custom.

We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
then eat the big meal at dinner time.

Looking back on it, as a child i seem to recall us taking the holiday
meal a bit early, maybe 3 - 4 p.m. rather than the more regular dinner
at 5 - 6 pm.

As kids we were given the routine breakfast and the rest of the day any
of various foods brought by guests as well as made for the occasions of
a big family get together at the grand parents house or latter on my
own parents house.

I don't know what the grown men did, they didn't sit around the house
and watch t.v. because in those days, in that place we didn't have
indoor plumbing much less electricity. 1950's rural Oregon.

Though i remember one year we had this T'day dinner at a married sisters
farm and the grown men threw up a barn while waiting for dinner Had
it framed and roofed by days end. The brother in law and several of the
uncles put in the foundations the week previously.

Some would hunt, others do various work that had to be done on a daily
basis (cows, goats, pigs, chickens & etc.) & still found the time to
drive 20 miles to hang out at a local tavern before coming home to an
late afternoon dinner.

I can recall at my maternal grandmothers house a kind of out side,
sheltered porch sort of seating for some of the "adult" if not "Grown
Men" who arrived either late or too drunk to sit with the family at table.

*Sigh* memories .... on my first holiday leave from the military, in the
early 1970's i went upstairs to put on "good clothes" for t'day dinner
after hanging out most of the day in jeans and a sweat shirt. Only to
find all my civilian clothes mysteriously missing. THis elicited
various increasingly convoluted explanations from me mum as to laundry
and storage space and lack of time and just went back up stairs an put
on my Navy Blues as she fully intended from the first after i had
earlier dismissed her statement that i would be wearing my Dress Uniform
for dinner. SHe was actually able to trick me twice, the next time i
came home, i left my dress blues on base

But when we went to a local summertime celebration in the small Oregon
town i found i only had the Navy dress whites i had travelled to Oregon
in to wear, for all the same reasons but asserted more indifferently
--
JL

Old 13-10-2011, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:05:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" wrote in message
sf wrote:

Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
their family's custom.

We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
then eat the big meal at dinner time.

We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around 2:00.
Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
and Sundays.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 13-10-2011, 06:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:04:01 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today. When
I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's magazine. In
the front, there was a regular feature. I don't remember the details,
but I think it was a husband and wife telling their stories about their
marriage. The stories were completely different, but about the same
things. I didn't understand how two people could have such radically
different views about the same exact things. Later on I grew up.

It was in a side by side two column form one labeled "He Said", the
other "She Said". I don't remember what magazine it was either.

I found it.
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/ca...besaved/43003/

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 13-10-2011, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:31:44 -0700 (PDT), merryb
wrote:

On Oct 13, 5:23*am, George Leppla wrote:
On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

There's really no point! *Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. *See? *You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. *I know what's going on. *There is nothing
to defend.

I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?

You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
walk through it.

George L

Exactly!

Actually Julie didn't open the door, some disgusting megalomaniacal
insecure moroon interpreted to suit in order to fulfill his need to
disaparage her to make himself feel omportant for how he himself
behaves at home from being treated like the impotent doormat he truly
is.

I've met Julies before, they benefit by several magnitudes from
accepting being told what to do on occasion... they only appear
subservient when in reality they are who are in control where it
counts... in her relationship Julie is the orchestrator. Fact is
Julie is Brer Rabbit whereas hubby is Brer Fox.
Old 13-10-2011, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits

sf wrote:

Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
their family's custom.

We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
then eat the big meal at dinner time.

We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around
2:00.
Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
and Sundays.

I know, I just find it odd.

Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

I don't have early holiday dinners, because times have changed and I
don't like eating early.... however some people do. My DIL's family
does that, they're the early crowd. It works for me because my son
and DIL go to her family's party early in the day and make it to mine
as it starts.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.