Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

Steve Pope wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on
a whim. That leaves me with a portion of food that may or may not
be eaten on another day. And most likely not. Sometimes he does
this several days in a row and then he blames me for cooking too
much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food immediately. And
that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:31:29 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
wrote:

In article
,
merryb wrote:

On Oct 11, 2:22*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. *He can just go
to the fridge, take one and eat it. *Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
the sandwich. *And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
make it fast enough.

Wow, just wow...

Seriously. I can't even think of where to begin.

Don't even try.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:32*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
BillyZoom wrote:
On Oct 11, 5:22 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:
I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the
time, and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my
expense account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the
shop I at the brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was
to throw out the sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented
making sandwiches for me if I was not eating them.

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a
whim. That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
then he blames me for cooking too much food!

As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can
just go to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear
a whole lot of screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it
is I am doing to make the sandwich. And then while I am making the
sandwich because I can never make it fast enough.

Have you considered he just doesn't like you?

Sure. *I established that loooooong ago.

So why are you still there? Sounds like a miserable marriage- life is
too short!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:33*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Steve Pope wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
for dinner. *Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
But that's never the case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on
a whim. *That leaves me with a portion of food that may or may not
be eaten on another day. *And most likely not. *Sometimes he does
this several days in a row and then he blames me for cooking too
much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

That would never work. *If he is home, he wants his food immediately. *And
that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:59*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Kalmia wrote:

On the whole, I think that homemade by a decent cook tops most resto
fare. *The only reason we eat out is because I'm tired and/or have not
the ingreeds I need for something and don't feel like shopping.
Besides, I've cooked thousands of meals and deserve a break.

One the whole.... yeah. *There is a lot of mediocre food bein sold in
restaurants.

Better to order in a resto: * lobster Fisherman style and other
elaborate entrees.

Lobster is one of the easiest things to cook. From my experience, it has
been better at home than in restaurants.

We used to have a local restaurant that had incredible food. We used to
eat there about once a month. He has three course menu specials that
used to run $20-22 and they were good. *The desserts were okay, but the
first course was generally a choice of a really nice salad or an
incredible soup, and the entrees were generally very good. One night I
hit the jackpot with an exceptional choice. I think it was called
Barcelona shrimp. *I drove my wife nuts with my praise with every
mouthful. All the way home and all evening I kept thinking it was the
best meal I had ever had.

The lobster I refer to was the specialty of a certain resto. They
stuffed the meat of one lobster into the open body of another, then
baked it with crumb topping. There may have even been crab mixed into
the stuffing too. It would be a ton of work to dupe this at home, so
I preferred to get it there. Very pricey but worth it as a treat.

I used to get a Neptune salad at a place - raved with every mouthful.
Some Crab Imperiales have come close too.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Or if he wants his food immediately he can bloody well make himself
dinner out of whatever he finds in the fridge. Jeez, what some people
put up with!

Felice

Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:45*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
me for cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

Steve

Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
sandwich...........sheesh.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't cook anything but just what I wanted. Tell the idiot to
make his own dinner. Inconsiderate jerk. sounds like you married the
wrong one.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Well then...what the hell are you hanging around for? Get out and get
on with your life with someone cares for you.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:10*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:45:21 +0000 (UTC),

(Steve Pope) wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
me for cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

Better approach is to leave the can opener where he can't miss it.

That would be by the front door so he trips over it!
Sorry, that was mean, but have some respect for yourself Julie!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 7:58*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
"Pico Rico" wrote in message

Someone once told me that a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makesit. *I think
this is true.

you must have missed that Dr. Phil episode, where he was tellingthe
husband that he should go out of his way to make his wife feel loved, andthen sided with her when she toldthehusband to "make his own damn sandwich" since she couldn't be bothered to learn how to make a better
sandwich.

I can't stand Dr. Phil.

Dr. Phil sucks. He is full of common sense which we all have.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Which is why I buy the premade. I'm nobody's servant.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be
home for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be
upset. But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere
else on a whim. That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
then he blames me for cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

Steve

Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
sandwich...........sheesh.

I don't eat lunch. And I generally don't eat leftovers. Unless it is
something I intentionally planned to eat later.

As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. And I'm not saying any
more on that.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:50:07 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 11/10/2011 1:44 PM, sf wrote:

They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
old fashioned lamb (not ground).

Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
looking at the meat in my beef? sandwich from Arby's, but when I
read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.

Are you talking about shawarma rather than Gyros?