Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

Ranee wrote:

I like to cook all sorts of ethnicities' foods, but I do try not to
ever cook those foods for people who are actually from there. I figure
even if it is really good, it will either be a little off or not their
particular family style, so I just avoid it.

I think it depends on the occasion. If you have reason to believe that
a guest is feeling homesick, then he or she will probably at least
appreciate the attempt and the sentiment. That being said, if your
guest is French they'll disparage whatever you make. It's just their
way.

Bob

Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:51:12 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits

sf wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:16:07 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
wrote:

Although I make a
delicious faux gyro, making it without the spit is a challenge.

Do you make the one with sliced meat? I have never warmed up to the
meatloaf version.

No, it's ground lamb with loads of oregano, garlic and lemon. It
tastes good and I shave it pretty thinly, but it's not like the real
thing.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your recipe anyway.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:37:29 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

My faux gyro experiments have been better than some of my recent Gyros
experiences. I used to love those things but over the last few years I
have been disappointed so many times. I think the worst was a year or so
ago when my wife went by bicycle to an event in another city. I was
yearning for a gyros and knew there would be food kiosks that offered
them. When I got my gyros I was never so disappointed in my life. Then
last summer I went to the local Greek run greasy spoon and ordered a
gyros. Three thin strips of meat and a thick crumbly pita. It was a
major disappointment.

They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
old fashioned lamb (not ground).

Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:11:45 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
wrote:

I like to cook all sorts of ethnicities' foods, but I do try not to
ever cook those foods for people who are actually from there. I figure
even if it is really good, it will either be a little off or not their
particular family style, so I just avoid it.

Good idea. Even adobo has so many variations it's unbelievable and if
your family didn't do it that way, it's not the right way.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:42:12 -0700, Bob Terwilliger
wrote:

I think it depends on the occasion. If you have reason to believe that
a guest is feeling homesick, then he or she will probably at least
appreciate the attempt and the sentiment. That being said, if your
guest is French they'll disparage whatever you make. It's just their
way.

laugh I'd say no guest would do that, but I know someone who is
French and I wouldn't put it past her. I do *not* call her a friend
though.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the time,
and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my expense
account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the shop I at the
brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was to throw out the
sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented making sandwiches
for me if I was not eating them.

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. Of
course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never the
case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And most
likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
me for cooking too much food!

As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
make it fast enough.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:22*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Have you considered he just doesn't like you?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. Of
course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never the
case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And most
likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
me for cooking too much food!

One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

Steve
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My faux gyro experiments have been better than some of my recent Gyros
experiences. I used to love those things but over the last few years I
have been disappointed so many times. I think the worst was a year or so
ago when my wife went by bicycle to an event in another city. I was
yearning for a gyros and knew there would be food kiosks that offered
them. When I got my gyros I was never so disappointed in my life. Then
last summer I went to the local Greek run greasy spoon and ordered a
gyros. Three thin strips of meat and a thick crumbly pita. It was a
major disappointment.

They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
old fashioned lamb (not ground).

Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
looking at the meat in my beef ? sandwich from Arby's, but when I
read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

I have to confess that I would probably eat a lot more middle eastern
food from restaurants if they didn't have such a bad reputation for
public health problems..... *** in this area***. It seems that any time
there is a report in the local media about people getting infected it
has been a middle eastern place. It's a shame because I like the food. I
like the hospitality, I like the prices. After having had one dose of
food poisoning, I don't ever want to go through that again.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. Of
course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never the
case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim.

LMAO..... that is too funny.
You're still married?

That leaves me with
a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And most
likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
me for cooking too much food!

As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
to the fridge, take one and eat it.

Okay. Now I understand why he doesn't come home for your cooking.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Agreed on the risotto. The two best I've ever had were in Milan and in
the North End of Boston; other than those two, mine are better than
anything I've been served. On reason is that I use vialone nano or
carnarolli at home, and restaurants usually stick with arborio.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Kalmia wrote:

On the whole, I think that homemade by a decent cook tops most resto
fare. The only reason we eat out is because I'm tired and/or have not
the ingreeds I need for something and don't feel like shopping.
Besides, I've cooked thousands of meals and deserve a break.

One the whole.... yeah. There is a lot of mediocre food bein sold in
restaurants.

Better to order in a resto: lobster Fisherman style and other
elaborate entrees.

Lobster is one of the easiest things to cook. From my experience, it has
been better at home than in restaurants.

We used to have a local restaurant that had incredible food. We used to
eat there about once a month. He has three course menu specials that
used to run $20-22 and they were good. The desserts were okay, but the
first course was generally a choice of a really nice salad or an
incredible soup, and the entrees were generally very good. One night I
hit the jackpot with an exceptional choice. I think it was called
Barcelona shrimp. I drove my wife nuts with my praise with every
mouthful. All the way home and all evening I kept thinking it was the
best meal I had ever had.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:50:07 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 11/10/2011 1:44 PM, sf wrote:

They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
old fashioned lamb (not ground).

Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
looking at the meat in my beef ? sandwich from Arby's, but when I
read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Sure. I established that loooooong ago.