Senior Member

Location: WI

Agreed! Gyros is one fo the few that I can only get in a restaurant, as the process of making it at home is too arduous compared to the $6.50 I'll spend for a perfect one.

Paella was a good example; but I'd hope any restaurant worth their salt that claimed to have it would use great medium grain rice that cooks best uncovered. I would be mega pssed to get long grain in a paella I just spent good $ on. never had it in a restaurant.

Mexican food is a toss up as it depends on the restaurant. The beauty of most latin American foods is the ease to make at home. A certain seafood soup I rmemeber from Ecuador couldn't even be emulated at home. Never even considered it. Just so perfect in the shack they call a restaurant with all local seafood delicacies. God, I crave for that flav once again.

Steaks and burgers are a horse a piece. Good Thai v. buffet Thai, you can really get some nice stuff out there. Korean and Chinese, too.

Polish recipes (czarnina/pierogi) I feel are better made at home, also; but the sausages are generally unreal if you find the right butcher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:11:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:29:26 -0400, Dave Smith

>> > Thanks, that makes sense to me. I see they are also called
>> > döner kebab. They're just called gyros around here, even by the
>> > Turks, so everyone knows what it is.

>> I don't think they are the same thing but I could be wrong. Doner Kebabs
>> are cooked in milk.
>>

> Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

This is one example of the recipes I had looked up.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/97811/ho...ner-kebab.html

I stand corrected. Apparently it is not *cooked* in milk but marinated in
it. But I still don't think they are the same thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:26:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:11:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> I don't think they are the same thing but I could be wrong. Doner Kebabs
> >> are cooked in milk.
> >>

> > Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab
> >
> > --
> > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

> This is one example of the recipes I had looked up.
>
> http://www.grouprecipes.com/97811/ho...ner-kebab.html
>
> I stand corrected. Apparently it is not *cooked* in milk but marinated in
> it. But I still don't think they are the same thing.

I think they are very similar if not the same. She says at the top
"Doner kebab (Turkish döner kebap, literally "turning roast"), is a
nomadic dish originating from the Turkish / Arabian area. The doner
was originally prepared for ease of transport and cured for long life.
It is associated as a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical
spit and sliced off to order."

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie wrote:

> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner
> or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner.
> Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never
> the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me
> with a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
> most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he
> blames me for cooking too much food!

I wonder what his side of the story is.

> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot
> of screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to
> make the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can
> never make it fast enough.

Screaming? Did you mean REAL screaming on his part? Or was that hyperbole?

This whole story seems too one-sided to be completely true. It reminds me a
bit of the old Thanksgiving thread where a woman was complaining that her
husband never got home from hunting in time to eat her NOONTIME dinner on
Thanksgiving. God forbid that she plan for dinner to be LATER than that.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...ca69678bce6162

(Start reading with the post numbered 25, the one from Shirley.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Please don't mention sous vide, the thought turns my stomach. I avoid
> anything on a menu that admits being sous vide and sincerely hope they
> aren't lying about the rest of the menu.

Uh-oh... you know that Fish Veracruz you like? How do you suppose they keep
from overcooking the fish?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:41:12 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> This whole story seems too one-sided to be completely true. It reminds me a
> bit of the old Thanksgiving thread where a woman was complaining that her
> husband never got home from hunting in time to eat her NOONTIME dinner on
> Thanksgiving. God forbid that she plan for dinner to be LATER than that.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...ca69678bce6162
>
> (Start reading with the post numbered 25, the one from Shirley.)

Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
their family's custom.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:44:09 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > Please don't mention sous vide, the thought turns my stomach. I avoid
> > anything on a menu that admits being sous vide and sincerely hope they
> > aren't lying about the rest of the menu.

> Uh-oh... you know that Fish Veracruz you like? How do you suppose they keep
> from overcooking the fish?

Not sous vide.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Julie wrote:
>
> > It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner
> > or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner.
> > Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never
> > the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me
> > with a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
> > most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he
> > blames me for cooking too much food!

> I wonder what his side of the story is.

I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today. When
I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's magazine. In
the front, there was a regular feature. I don't remember the details,
but I think it was a husband and wife telling their stories about their
marriage. The stories were completely different, but about the same
things. I didn't understand how two people could have such radically
different views about the same exact things. Later on I grew up.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 9:04*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article om>,
> *"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
> > Julie wrote:

> > > It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner
> > > or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner.
> > > Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never
> > > the case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me
> > > with a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And
> > > most likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he
> > > blames me for cooking too much food!

> > I wonder what his side of the story is.

> I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today. *When
> I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's magazine. *In
> the front, there was a regular feature. *I don't remember the details,
> but I think it was a husband and wife telling their stories about their
> marriage. *The stories were completely different, but about the same
> things. *I didn't understand how two people could have such radically
> different views about the same exact things. *Later on I grew up.
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Well, you grew up- apparently these 2 haven't figured it out yet. I do
find it curious that Julie hasn't defended herself- maybe she is
allergic/doesn't like to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
>> their family's custom.

> We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
> then eat the big meal at dinner time.

We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around 2:00.
Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:04 pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
>> In article om>,

>>> I wonder what his side of the story is.

>> I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today.
>> When I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's
>> magazine. In the front, there was a regular feature. I don't
>> remember the details, but I think it was a husband and wife telling
>> their stories about their marriage. The stories were completely
>> different, but about the same things. I didn't understand how two
>> people could have such radically different views about the same
>> exact things. Later on I grew up.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>> Petaluma, California USA
>>

> Well, you grew up- apparently these 2 haven't figured it out yet. I do
> find it curious that Julie hasn't defended herself- maybe she is
> allergic/doesn't like to.

There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.

I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
to defend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
> to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.
>
> I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
> to defend.

I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?

You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
walk through it.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 8:23*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > There's really no point! *Those of you who are going to attack me are going
> > to do it no matter what I say or don't see. *See? *You're doing it now.

> > I see no need to defend myself. *I know what's going on. *There is nothing
> > to defend.

> I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
> with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?
>
> You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
> walk through it.
>
> George L

Aaaaand...here we are. A perfectly okay thread is now about her.
Mission accomplished. She doesn't even have to comment any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
> "merryb" > wrote in message

>>> That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food immediately.
>>> And that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

>> I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out...

> Or if he wants his food immediately he can bloody well make himself dinner
> out of whatever he finds in the fridge. Jeez, what some people put up
> with!
>
> Felice

YAY Felice! It appears even in 2011 some guys still think of wives as
personal slaves.

When I was married I'd work a full day at the office, then come home and
cook dinner. And he wouldn't bother to call and tell me if he was eating
somewhere else, usually his mother's house, and not because she was a
wonderful cook. (I still can't get the image of that soupy "dressing" she
served at Thanksgiving out of my head.) So except to make a little
something for myself, I stopped cooking dinner. I'd worked all day. I was
tired. I figured if he couldn't bother to call I wasn't going to slave in
the kitchen hoping he'd show up. There's the kitchen. Knock yourself out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 5:23*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > There's really no point! *Those of you who are going to attack me are going
> > to do it no matter what I say or don't see. *See? *You're doing it now.

> > I see no need to defend myself. *I know what's going on. *There is nothing
> > to defend.

> I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
> with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?
>
> You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
> walk through it.
>
> George L

Exactly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> On Oct 11, 6:52 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:

>> > Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
>> > not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
>> > sandwich...........sheesh.

>> I don't eat lunch. And I generally don't eat leftovers. Unless it is
>> something I intentionally planned to eat later.
>>
>> As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. And I'm not saying
>> any
>> more on that.

> Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...

This is to Julie (sorry to piggyback, merry, 've got the drama queen
killfiled).

Then don't say anything, Julie. If he can't make his own a sandwich then
mommy didn't cut the apron strings soon enough. I've never met a man who
couldn't make a sandwich. Sheesh, woman, grow a backbone. If he's not
working late and he's not coming home, where the hell does he go? Probably
away from your whining self. But I'd think having dinner ready on demand
would be the least of your worries.

An aside: why is it you don't eat leftovers? You mentioned making "too
much food" but you don't eat leftovers. So what do you do, just throw
perfectly good food away? Don't let me catch you complaining about your
grocery bill any time soon.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 10:53*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> >> I don't eat lunch. *And I generally don't eat leftovers. *Unless it is
> >> something I intentionally planned to eat later.

> >> As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. *And I'm not saying
> >> any
> >> more on that.

> > Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...

> This is to Julie (sorry to piggyback, merry, 've got the drama queen
> killfiled).
>
> Then don't say anything, Julie. *If he can't make his own a sandwich then
> mommy didn't cut the apron strings soon enough. *I've never met a man who
> couldn't make a sandwich. *Sheesh, woman, grow a backbone. *If he's not
> working late and he's not coming home, where the hell does he go? *Probably
> away from your whining self. *But I'd think having dinner ready on demand
> would be the least of your worries.
>
> An aside: *why is it you don't eat leftovers? *You mentioned making "too
> much food" but you don't eat leftovers. *So what do you do, just throw
> perfectly good food away? *Don't let me catch you complaining about your
> grocery bill any time soon.
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

You're giving man advice?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcquown[_2_] View Post
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Now that you mentioned it. I also am wondering what are you doing with leftovers? Well it can still be eaten unless it is easily spoiled food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:03:45 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom
> wrote:

>On Oct 13, 10:53*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "merryb" > wrote in message

>> Then don't say anything, Julie. *If he can't make his own a sandwich then
>> mommy didn't cut the apron strings soon enough. *I've never met a man who
>> couldn't make a sandwich. *Sheesh, woman, grow a backbone. *If he's not
>> working late and he's not coming home, where the hell does he go? *Probably
>> away from your whining self. *But I'd think having dinner ready on demand
>> would be the least of your worries.
>>
>> An aside: *why is it you don't eat leftovers? *You mentioned making "too
>> much food" but you don't eat leftovers. *So what do you do, just throw
>> perfectly good food away? *Don't let me catch you complaining about your
>> grocery bill any time soon.
>>
>> Jill- Hide quoted text -

>You're giving man advice?

Next will be child rearing.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2011 1:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Well, you grew up- apparently these 2 haven't figured it out yet. I do
>> find it curious that Julie hasn't defended herself- maybe she is
>> allergic/doesn't like to.

> There's really no point! Those of you who are going to attack me are going
> to do it no matter what I say or don't see. See? You're doing it now.
>
> I see no need to defend myself. I know what's going on. There is nothing
> to defend.

Oh hell. You got exactly what you wanted. You got the thread turned
around to be about you and your messed up dysfunctional life. If you
didn't want people dumping on you you wouldn't be sharing this
ridiculous information with us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

>>Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
>>their family's custom.

> We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
> then eat the big meal at dinner time.

Looking back on it, as a child i seem to recall us taking the holiday
meal a bit early, maybe 3 - 4 p.m. rather than the more regular dinner
at 5 - 6 pm.

As kids we were given the routine breakfast and the rest of the day any
of various foods brought by guests as well as made for the occasions of
a big family get together at the grand parents house or latter on my
own parents house.

I don't know what the grown men did, they didn't sit around the house
and watch t.v. because in those days, in that place we didn't have
indoor plumbing much less electricity. 1950's rural Oregon.

Though i remember one year we had this T'day dinner at a married sisters
farm and the grown men threw up a barn while waiting for dinner Had
it framed and roofed by days end. The brother in law and several of the
uncles put in the foundations the week previously.

Some would hunt, others do various work that had to be done on a daily
basis (cows, goats, pigs, chickens & etc.) & still found the time to
drive 20 miles to hang out at a local tavern before coming home to an
late afternoon dinner.

I can recall at my maternal grandmothers house a kind of out side,
sheltered porch sort of seating for some of the "adult" if not "Grown
Men" who arrived either late or too drunk to sit with the family at table.

*Sigh* memories .... on my first holiday leave from the military, in the
early 1970's i went upstairs to put on "good clothes" for t'day dinner
after hanging out most of the day in jeans and a sweat shirt. Only to
find all my civilian clothes mysteriously missing. THis elicited
various increasingly convoluted explanations from me mum as to laundry
and storage space and lack of time and just went back up stairs an put
on my Navy Blues as she fully intended from the first after i had
earlier dismissed her statement that i would be wearing my Dress Uniform
for dinner. SHe was actually able to trick me twice, the next time i
came home, i left my dress blues on base

But when we went to a local summertime celebration in the small Oregon
town i found i only had the Navy dress whites i had travelled to Oregon
in to wear, for all the same reasons but asserted more indifferently
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:05:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> Some people eat earlier than later. I don't know why other than it's
> >> their family's custom.

> > We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
> > then eat the big meal at dinner time.

> We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around 2:00.
> Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
and Sundays.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:04:01 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> I was wondering something similar when I read this earlier today. When
> I was a little kid, my mother used to read some women's magazine. In
> the front, there was a regular feature. I don't remember the details,
> but I think it was a husband and wife telling their stories about their
> marriage. The stories were completely different, but about the same
> things. I didn't understand how two people could have such radically
> different views about the same exact things. Later on I grew up.

It was in a side by side two column form one labeled "He Said", the
other "She Said". I don't remember what magazine it was either.

I found it.
http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/ca...besaved/43003/

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:31:44 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Oct 13, 5:23*am, George Leppla > wrote:
>> On 10/13/2011 12:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > There's really no point! *Those of you who are going to attack me are going
>> > to do it no matter what I say or don't see. *See? *You're doing it now.

>> > I see no need to defend myself. *I know what's going on. *There is nothing
>> > to defend.

>> I agree... but when you post personal details about your relationship
>> with your husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?
>>
>> You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
>> walk through it.
>>
>> George L

>Exactly!

Actually Julie didn't open the door, some disgusting megalomaniacal
insecure moroon interpreted to suit in order to fulfill his need to
disaparage her to make himself feel omportant for how he himself
behaves at home from being treated like the impotent doormat he truly
is.

I've met Julies before, they benefit by several magnitudes from
accepting being told what to do on occasion... they only appear
subservient when in reality they are who are in control where it
counts... in her relationship Julie is the orchestrator. Fact is
Julie is Brer Rabbit whereas hubby is Brer Fox.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:05:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> > > We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around
> > > 2:00.
> > > Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.
> > >

> > That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
> > and Sundays.

> I know, I just find it odd.

Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

I don't have early holiday dinners, because times have changed and I
don't like eating early.... however some people do. My DIL's family
does that, they're the early crowd. It works for me because my son
and DIL go to her family's party early in the day and make it to mine
as it starts.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 1:53 PM, sf wrote:
> Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
> and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
> didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
> sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
> other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
> home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

Probably had more to do with church. Back in the day, going to church
on Sunday was an every week thing. Most services are over by noon....
and that gives you two hours to get home and finish Sunday dinner which
was usually started by someone before you all went to church.

Sitting at the table at 2 PM on a Sunday afternoon was pretty standard
in my home and in most of my friend's homes.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:35:28 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 10/13/2011 1:53 PM, sf wrote:
> > Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
> > and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
> > didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
> > sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
> > other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
> > home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

> Probably had more to do with church. Back in the day, going to church
> on Sunday was an every week thing. Most services are over by noon....
> and that gives you two hours to get home and finish Sunday dinner which
> was usually started by someone before you all went to church.

You're probably right.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2011 12:50 PM, Joseph Stifel wrote:

> But when we went to a local summertime celebration in the small Oregon
> town i found i only had the Navy dress whites i had travelled to Oregon
> in to wear, for all the same reasons but asserted more indifferently

Great story, JL, thanks!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:34:27 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:

> > > I know, I just find it odd.

> > Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
> > and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship.

> I know we're all foodies here, but there _are_ ways to rest and
> socialize without eating dinner at 2:00. We do it each Sunday. Or, we
> eat lunch, and then play outside or read or take a post-liturgical nap,
> or, play board games, or...Electrical technology is sometimes part of
> our activity, but not always or even most often.

Electricity (aka: power) has more to do with it than you realize.
Have you never heard "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man
healthy, wealthy and wise"?

> > They
> > didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
> > sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
> > other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
> > home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

> And yet, every other work night, they were able to eat dinner at 5:00
> or so and still make it to work. I know it's common, I just find it
> odd. If people are traveling a great distance, I kind of get it, but
> then I'd have a luncheon, not just declare 2:00 to be dinner.

Are you saying that people have ALWAYS eaten their biggest meal of the
day around 6 PM... even 100, 200 or more years ago?

Dinner used to be a mid-day meal. Times have changed, but some people
kept a form of their tradition. That would be the early start meals
on holidays and Sundays. I bet if you asked them why, they wouldn't
be able to tell you other than that's the way their family has always
done it. http://www.history-magazine.com/dinner2.html

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:38:50 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Dinner used to be a mid-day meal. Times have changed, but some people
> > kept a form of their tradition. That would be the early start meals
> > on holidays and Sundays. I bet if you asked them why, they wouldn't
> > be able to tell you other than that's the way their family has always
> > done it. http://www.history-magazine.com/dinner2.html

> That was the main meal of the day for workers, actually. Those who
> didn't have to work for their living ate dinner at night. That's when
> the servants were busy working, so their dinner came at midday. That
> isn't what bothers me, though. The people who ate their Sunday and
> holiday dinners so early did _not_ eat their dinner at midday on other
> days. That had changed for many people (not in the midwest for a lot
> longer than the rest of the country, however, possibly because of the
> number of farmers) much earlier in the United States than you'd think,
> though. So, this having Sunday dinner early and holiday dinner early
> was an affectation for most people. I just don't understand why.

I'm not following you. What don't you understand about "tradition"?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2011 2:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
husband, do you not think that people are going to comment?

>>> You were the one that opened this door... don't be upset when people
>>> walk through it.
>>>
>>> George L

>> Exactly!

> Actually Julie didn't open the door, some disgusting megalomaniacal
> insecure moroon interpreted to suit in order to fulfill his need to
> disaparage her to make himself feel omportant for how he himself
> behaves at home from being treated like the impotent doormat he truly
> is.

Baloney. She not only opened the door, she jumped out onto the sidewalk
and invited everyone in to hear her tales of woe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> We don't eat Thanksgiving dinner for breakfast. We have a brunch and
>>> then eat the big meal at dinner time.

>> We eat it at a weird time and I'm not really sure why. Usually around
>> 2:00.
>> Too late for lunch and too early for dinner.

> That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays
> and Sundays.

Growing up, we had a normal breakfast, then Thanksgiving dinner around 2:00
or 3:00 PM. When I make Thanksgiving dinner it's usually around 3:00 or 4:00
PM, but there are always pre-dinner nibbles so the guests aren't starving
when dinner starts.

Sundays are a completely different story. I work until 6:00 AM most Sunday
mornings, so I usually sleep from about noon to 8:00 PM on Sunday.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> That used to be the traditional time for dinner to start on Holidays and
>>> Sundays.

>> I know, I just find it odd.

> Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
> and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
> didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
> sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
> other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
> home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

They also played cards or other games after dinner.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:

>> > I know, I just find it odd.

>> Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
>> and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship.

> I know we're all foodies here, but there _are_ ways to rest and
> socialize without eating dinner at 2:00. We do it each Sunday. Or, we
> eat lunch, and then play outside or read or take a post-liturgical nap,
> or, play board games, or...Electrical technology is sometimes part of
> our activity, but not always or even most often.
>

>>They
>> didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
>> sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
>> other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
>> home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

> And yet, every other work night, they were able to eat dinner at 5:00
> or so and still make it to work. I know it's common, I just find it
> odd. If people are traveling a great distance, I kind of get it, but
> then I'd have a luncheon, not just declare 2:00 to be dinner.

I find it odd too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Leppla > wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2011 1:53 PM, sf wrote:
>> > Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
>> > and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship. They
>> > didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
>> > sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
>> > other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
>> > home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

>> Probably had more to do with church. Back in the day, going to church
>> on Sunday was an every week thing. Most services are over by noon....
>> and that gives you two hours to get home and finish Sunday dinner which
>> was usually started by someone before you all went to church.

> Again, though, we go to church each week. We get home around
> 12:30-ish. This doesn't mean that dinner has to be at 2:00. I'm just
> curious where the idea started that on Holy Days, dinner had to be
> earlier.

Might it have to do with fasting? I'm just guessing because I am not
religious at all and when I did go to church, the one I went to didn't fast.
But my in-laws are Catholic and I know they do fast on Sundays but I don't
know the particulars. I always ate breakfast when I was at their house.
They did not. They would go out to eat after church. But then they did eat
dinner later at home.

When I was invited to my husband's grandma's house for the 2:00 meal I
didn't eat very much at all because I simply am not hungry at that time. I
was then very amazed that everyone stayed there until late into the night
playing cards and talking. There was no more food put out. Of course I was
hungry around dinner time. My husband then announced that everyone was
supposed to fill up at that one meal because there wouldn't be another one.
This just didn't seem right to me. It's not something our family every did
except for on Thanksgiving. And why we did it then, I do not know. I guess
I just assumed that was the time the turkey was done.

But now it makes no sense because my mom always cooks the turkey ahead of
time and just reheats it.

We do not have any sort of traditional Christmas meal and often will just go
to a restaurant on Christmas Eve. I used to have lunch on Christmas day at
our house but that fell by the wayside a few years ago for various reasons
and won't be happening again this year now that my dad can't drive. There
is no way my mother would drive all the way over here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:34:27 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:26:44 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits

>> > Odd? It's not odd, it's the way people socialized before television
>> > and maybe before radio. Sunday was a day of rest and worship.

>> I know we're all foodies here, but there _are_ ways to rest and
>> socialize without eating dinner at 2:00. We do it each Sunday. Or, we
>> eat lunch, and then play outside or read or take a post-liturgical nap,
>> or, play board games, or...Electrical technology is sometimes part of
>> our activity, but not always or even most often.
>>

> Electricity (aka: power) has more to do with it than you realize.
> Have you never heard "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man
> healthy, wealthy and wise"?
>>
>> > They
>> > didn't work the fields and stores in small towns were closed. People
>> > sat around the dinner table, sometimes for hours, and talked to each
>> > other back then. They could gather together, have a nice meal and be
>> > home in decent time to get to bed and up for work the next day.

>> And yet, every other work night, they were able to eat dinner at 5:00
>> or so and still make it to work. I know it's common, I just find it
>> odd. If people are traveling a great distance, I kind of get it, but
>> then I'd have a luncheon, not just declare 2:00 to be dinner.

> Are you saying that people have ALWAYS eaten their biggest meal of the
> day around 6 PM... even 100, 200 or more years ago?
>
> Dinner used to be a mid-day meal. Times have changed, but some people
> kept a form of their tradition. That would be the early start meals
> on holidays and Sundays. I bet if you asked them why, they wouldn't
> be able to tell you other than that's the way their family has always
> done it. http://www.history-magazine.com/dinner2.html

I suppose it wound depend on what they did during the day. I have farmers
on both sides of the family. Dairy farm on one side and crops on the other.

There is the notion that the women in farming families make a huge meal not
only for breakfast (after various chores have been done) and another for
lunch which in some parts of this country was and still is called dinner.
But that wasn't always the case.

My dad said at the dairy farm, lunch was often a slice of bread with
whatever jam my great grandma had made and some pickles. There might be
fresh vegetables if they were available. They simply did not have the time
to stop for a big meal.

I have also seen countless pictures of farm workers both here and in Great
Britain where they were eating their noon meal out in the field. It was a
quick meal so they could get back to work harvesting. Now perhaps if they
were not harvesting they would have the time to go back to the house and
have something more leisurely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:38:50 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> > Dinner used to be a mid-day meal. Times have changed, but some people
>> > kept a form of their tradition. That would be the early start meals
>> > on holidays and Sundays. I bet if you asked them why, they wouldn't
>> > be able to tell you other than that's the way their family has always
>> > done it. http://www.history-magazine.com/dinner2.html

>> That was the main meal of the day for workers, actually. Those who
>> didn't have to work for their living ate dinner at night. That's when
>> the servants were busy working, so their dinner came at midday. That
>> isn't what bothers me, though. The people who ate their Sunday and
>> holiday dinners so early did _not_ eat their dinner at midday on other
>> days. That had changed for many people (not in the midwest for a lot
>> longer than the rest of the country, however, possibly because of the
>> number of farmers) much earlier in the United States than you'd think,
>> though. So, this having Sunday dinner early and holiday dinner early
>> was an affectation for most people. I just don't understand why.

> I'm not following you. What don't you understand about "tradition"?

But there must have been a plausible reason for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 7:25*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in ...
>

> > In article >,
> > George Leppla > wrote:

> >> Probably had more to do with church. *Back in the day, going to church
> >> on Sunday was an every week thing. *Most services are over by noon.....
> >> and that gives you two hours to get home and finish Sunday dinner which
> >> was usually started by someone before you all went to church.

> > * Again, though, we go to church each week. *We get home around
> > 12:30-ish. *This doesn't mean that dinner has to be at 2:00. * I'm just
> > curious where the idea started that on Holy Days, dinner had to be
> > earlier.

> Might it have to do with fasting? *I'm just guessing because I am not
> religious at all and when I did go to church, the one I went to didn't fast.
> But my in-laws are Catholic and I know they do fast on Sundays but I don't
> know the particulars. *I always ate breakfast when I was at their house..
> They did not. *They would go out to eat after church. *But then they did eat
> dinner later at home.
>
> When I was invited to my husband's grandma's house for the 2:00 meal I
> didn't eat very much at all because I simply am not hungry at that time. *I
> was then very amazed that everyone stayed there until late into the night
> playing cards and talking. *There was no more food put out. *Of course I was
> hungry around dinner time. *My husband then announced that everyone was
> supposed to fill up at that one meal because there wouldn't be another one.
> This just didn't seem right to me. *It's not something our family every did
> except for on Thanksgiving. *And why we did it then, I do not know. *I guess
> I just assumed that was the time the turkey was done.
>
> But now it makes no sense because my mom always cooks the turkey ahead of
> time and just reheats it.
>
> We do not have any sort of traditional Christmas meal and often will just go
> to a restaurant on Christmas Eve. *I used to have lunch on Christmas day at
> our house but that fell by the wayside a few years ago for various reasons
> and won't be happening again this year now that my dad can't drive. *There
> is no way my mother would drive all the way over here.

Maybe it's just me, but did anyone else notice all the no, didnt, nots
in this post- ick....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 12:50 PM, Joseph Stifel wrote:
>
>> But when we went to a local summertime celebration in the small Oregon
>> town i found i only had the Navy dress whites i had travelled to Oregon
>> in to wear, for all the same reasons but asserted more indifferently

> Great story, JL, thanks!
>
> nancy

Thanks, it just seemed to spill out without any real thought of doing
so, the writing of it i mean, funny what will trigger prose in me

I thought i might just add that the only reason i knew about fetching
the young men from the local tavern was because it was my father that
usually made that trip and even at that young age i was already enough
of a gourmand to anticipate a pickled sausage if i went with him.

The place was a real "road house" out in the middle of now here about
20 miles from cedar flats where we lived. By the time i was old enough
to go there on my own the area had grown up and though the building was
still there, same large dining and dancing area with a large bar it had
got a bigger, wealthier clientele as well as a gas station, general
store and post office, place became down right respectable
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio

.. So, this having Sunday dinner early and holiday dinner early
> was an affectation for most people. I just don't understand why.

I wouldn't call it an affectation. Certainly my family did it, but among
our town it was because that was when you often invited guests and served a
more elaborate meal. It took more time to prepare and more time to eat.
Then it took some time to clean up, as well, so Sunday or holiday supper was
very simple. On a holiday it might have been sandwiches from the leftovers
of the dinner or on Sunday at my home it was whatever the kids requested.
That was our sop thrown to make up for being forced to eat whatever we were
served the rest of the week. In June it was sometimes just strawberry
shortcake, or just asparagus. In August it was often just corn on the cob.