Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Better at home? Better at restaurant?

Agreed on the risotto. The two best I've ever had were in Milan and in
the North End of Boston; other than those two, mine are better than
anything I've been served. On reason is that I use vialone nano or
carnarolli at home, and restaurants usually stick with arborio.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> On the whole, I think that homemade by a decent cook tops most resto
> fare. The only reason we eat out is because I'm tired and/or have not
> the ingreeds I need for something and don't feel like shopping.
> Besides, I've cooked thousands of meals and deserve a break.

One the whole.... yeah. There is a lot of mediocre food bein sold in
restaurants.

> Better to order in a resto: lobster Fisherman style and other
> elaborate entrees.

Lobster is one of the easiest things to cook. From my experience, it has
been better at home than in restaurants.

We used to have a local restaurant that had incredible food. We used to
eat there about once a month. He has three course menu specials that
used to run $20-22 and they were good. The desserts were okay, but the
first course was generally a choice of a really nice salad or an
incredible soup, and the entrees were generally very good. One night I
hit the jackpot with an exceptional choice. I think it was called
Barcelona shrimp. I drove my wife nuts with my praise with every
mouthful. All the way home and all evening I kept thinking it was the
best meal I had ever had.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 2:22*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the time,
> > and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my expense
> > account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the shop I at the
> > brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was to throw out the
> > sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented making sandwiches
> > for me if I was not eating them.

> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
> just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
> course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
> case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
> likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
> me for cooking too much food!
>
> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. *He can just go
> to the fridge, take one and eat it. *Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
> the sandwich. *And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
> make it fast enough.

Wow, just wow...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:50:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 1:44 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
> > old fashioned lamb (not ground).

> Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
> looking at the meat in my beef <?> sandwich from Arby's, but when I
> read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
> go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BillyZoom wrote:
> On Oct 11, 5:22 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the
>>> time, and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my
>>> expense account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the
>>> shop I at the brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was
>>> to throw out the sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented
>>> making sandwiches for me if I was not eating them.

>> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
>> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
>> for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
>> But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a
>> whim. That leaves me with
>> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
>> most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
>> then he blames me for cooking too much food!
>>
>> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can
>> just go to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear
>> a whole lot of screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it
>> is I am doing to make the sandwich. And then while I am making the
>> sandwich because I can never make it fast enough.

> Have you considered he just doesn't like you?

Sure. I established that loooooong ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
>> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
>> for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
>> But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on
>> a whim. That leaves me with a portion of food that may or may not
>> be eaten on another day. And most likely not. Sometimes he does
>> this several days in a row and then he blames me for cooking too
>> much food!

> One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food immediately. And
that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:31:29 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 11, 2:22*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > >
> > > As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. *He can just go
> > > to the fridge, take one and eat it. *Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
> > > screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
> > > the sandwich. *And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
> > > make it fast enough.

> > Wow, just wow...

> Seriously. I can't even think of where to begin.

Don't even try.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:32*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> BillyZoom wrote:

> >> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
> >> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
> >> for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
> >> But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a
> >> whim. That leaves me with
> >> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
> >> most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
> >> then he blames me for cooking too much food!

> >> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can
> >> just go to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear
> >> a whole lot of screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it
> >> is I am doing to make the sandwich. And then while I am making the
> >> sandwich because I can never make it fast enough.

> > Have you considered he just doesn't like you?

> Sure. *I established that loooooong ago.

So why are you still there? Sounds like a miserable marriage- life is
too short!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:33*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > Julie Bove > wrote:

> >> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
> >> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
> >> for dinner. *Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
> >> But that's never the case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on
> >> a whim. *That leaves me with a portion of food that may or may not
> >> be eaten on another day. *And most likely not. *Sometimes he does
> >> this several days in a row and then he blames me for cooking too
> >> much food!

> > One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

> That would never work. *If he is home, he wants his food immediately. *And
> that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:59*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>

> > On the whole, I think that homemade by a decent cook tops most resto
> > fare. *The only reason we eat out is because I'm tired and/or have not
> > the ingreeds I need for something and don't feel like shopping.
> > Besides, I've cooked thousands of meals and deserve a break.

> One the whole.... yeah. *There is a lot of mediocre food bein sold in
> restaurants.
>

> > Better to order in a resto: * lobster Fisherman style and other
> > elaborate entrees.

> Lobster is one of the easiest things to cook. From my experience, it has
> been better at home than in restaurants.
>
> We used to have a local restaurant that had incredible food. We used to
> eat there about once a month. He has three course menu specials that
> used to run $20-22 and they were good. *The desserts were okay, but the
> first course was generally a choice of a really nice salad or an
> incredible soup, and the entrees were generally very good. One night I
> hit the jackpot with an exceptional choice. I think it was called
> Barcelona shrimp. *I drove my wife nuts with my praise with every
> mouthful. All the way home and all evening I kept thinking it was the
> best meal I had ever had.

The lobster I refer to was the specialty of a certain resto. They
stuffed the meat of one lobster into the open body of another, then
baked it with crumb topping. There may have even been crab mixed into
the stuffing too. It would be a ton of work to dupe this at home, so
I preferred to get it there. Very pricey but worth it as a treat.

I used to get a Neptune salad at a place - raved with every mouthful.
Some Crab Imperiales have come close too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message

> On Oct 11, 3:33 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Steve Pope wrote:

>> > One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

>> That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food
>> immediately.
>> And that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

> I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way
> out...

Or if he wants his food immediately he can bloody well make himself
dinner out of whatever he finds in the fridge. Jeez, what some people
put up with!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:45*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> >It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
> >just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
> >course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
> >case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
> >a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
> >likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
> >me for cooking too much food!

> One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.
>
> Steve

Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
sandwich...........sheesh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 2:22*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the time,
> > and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my expense
> > account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the shop I at the
> > brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was to throw out the
> > sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented making sandwiches
> > for me if I was not eating them.

> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
> just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
> course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
> case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
> likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
> me for cooking too much food!
>
> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. *He can just go
> to the fridge, take one and eat it. *Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
> the sandwich. *And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
> make it fast enough.

I wouldn't cook anything but just what I wanted. Tell the idiot to
make his own dinner. Inconsiderate jerk. sounds like you married the
wrong one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 3:32*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> BillyZoom wrote:

> >> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
> >> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home
> >> for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset.
> >> But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a
> >> whim. That leaves me with
> >> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
> >> most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
> >> then he blames me for cooking too much food!

> >> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can
> >> just go to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear
> >> a whole lot of screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it
> >> is I am doing to make the sandwich. And then while I am making the
> >> sandwich because I can never make it fast enough.

> > Have you considered he just doesn't like you?

> Sure. *I established that loooooong ago.

Well then...what the hell are you hanging around for? Get out and get
on with your life with someone cares for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 5:10*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:45:21 +0000 (UTC),
>
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
> >Julie Bove > wrote:

> >>It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
> >>just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. *Of
> >>course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. *But that's never the
> >>case. *He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. *That leaves me with
> >>a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. *And most
> >>likely not. *Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
> >>me for cooking too much food!

> >One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

> Better approach is to leave the can opener where he can't miss it.

That would be by the front door so he trips over it!
Sorry, that was mean, but have some respect for yourself Julie!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 7:58*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > Someone once told me>> that a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makesit. *I think
> >> this is true.

> > you must have missed that Dr. Phil episode, where he was tellingthe
> > husband that he should go out of his way to make his wife feel loved, and>then sided with her when she toldthehusband to "make his own damn> sandwich" since she couldn't be bothered to learn how to make a better
> > sandwich.

> I can't stand Dr. Phil.

Dr. Phil sucks. He is full of common sense which we all have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message
> "merryb" > wrote in message

>>> That would never work. If he is home, he wants his food immediately.
>>> And that wouldn't stop him from leaving to go elsewhere to eat.

>> I'd tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out...

> Or if he wants his food immediately he can bloody well make himself dinner
> out of whatever he finds in the fridge. Jeez, what some people put up
> with!

Which is why I buy the premade. I'm nobody's servant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Oct 11, 5:45 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making
>>> dinner or just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be
>>> home for dinner. Of course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be
>>> upset. But that's never the case. He just decides to go somewhere
>>> else on a whim. That leaves me with
>>> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And
>>> most likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and
>>> then he blames me for cooking too much food!

>> One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.
>>
>> Steve

> Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
> not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
> sandwich...........sheesh.

I don't eat lunch. And I generally don't eat leftovers. Unless it is
something I intentionally planned to eat later.

As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. And I'm not saying any
more on that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:50:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2011 1:44 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> They're doing chicken gyros now (have you seen that?), but I prefer
>>> old fashioned lamb (not ground).

>> Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
>> looking at the meat in my beef<?> sandwich from Arby's, but when I
>> read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
>> go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

> It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
> it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
> chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
> than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.

Are you talking about shawarma rather than Gyros?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 7:51 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

>> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
>> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
>> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
>> the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
>> make it fast enough.

> I wouldn't cook anything but just what I wanted. Tell the idiot to
> make his own dinner. Inconsiderate jerk. sounds like you married the
> wrong one.

He has probably realized that he married the wrong. The dysfunction
became apparent when she told us how badly her daughter acts in
restaurants. Now we hear that her husband sometimes doesn't bother
coming home for dinner and goes out for supper on his own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:16:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 6:26 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:50:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> Sorry, but I can't even imagine chicken gyros being good. Maybe it was
> >> looking at the meat in my beef<?> sandwich from Arby's, but when I
> >> read that, all I could think of was reconstituted chicken bits. I will
> >> go for a chicken slouvaki instead.

> > It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
> > it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
> > chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
> > than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.
> >

> Are you talking about shawarma rather than Gyros?

You've got me there. Is shawarma a British term? What I'm talking
about has always been called a gyro in my world. Looking it up - gyro
is the sandwich I'm eating, shawarma is what they call the roasted,
sliced meat on the spit. Why am I wrong calling my sandwich a gyro?
I have no idea what they call ground meat on a spit and I don't care.
The difference is between sliced meat and meatloaf in a gyro.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 6:52*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:

> >> One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

> >> Steve

> > Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. *C'mon, it
> > not that HARD. *And if he can't make himself a
> > sandwich...........sheesh.

> I don't eat lunch. *And I generally don't eat leftovers. *Unless it is
> something I intentionally planned to eat later.
>
> As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. *And I'm not saying any
> more on that.

Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Oct 11, 6:52 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:

> >> One approach is to not start cooking until he shows up.

> >> Steve

> > Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. C'mon, it
> > not that HARD. And if he can't make himself a
> > sandwich...........sheesh.

> I don't eat lunch. And I generally don't eat leftovers. Unless it is
> something I intentionally planned to eat later.
>
> As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. And I'm not saying
> any
> more on that.

Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...

Can't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:52:49 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Oct 11, 6:52*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:

>> > Or store in Rubbermaid and it's lunch for you the next day. *C'mon, it
>> > not that HARD. *And if he can't make himself a
>> > sandwich...........sheesh.

>> I don't eat lunch. *And I generally don't eat leftovers. *Unless it is
>> something I intentionally planned to eat later.
>>
>> As for the sandwich, no, he can not make it himself. *And I'm not saying any
>> more on that.

>Can not or will not? 2 different things entirely...

Yeah, one is bad grammar... cannot is one word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 6:31 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>>> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
>>> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
>>> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
>>> the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
>>> make it fast enough.

>> Wow, just wow...

> Seriously. I can't even think of where to begin.

They need to go on Jerry Springer or Dr. Phil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2011 11:15 PM, sf wrote:

>>> It's not reconstituted anything. It's slices of meat on a spit only
>>> it's not as dark as slices of lamb would be. I prefer lamb over
>>> chicken - but for people like you and my husband who eat more chicken
>>> than red meat these days, it's better than nothing.
>>>

>> Are you talking about shawarma rather than Gyros?

> You've got me there. Is shawarma a British term? What I'm talking
> about has always been called a gyro in my world. Looking it up - gyro
> is the sandwich I'm eating, shawarma is what they call the roasted,
> sliced meat on the spit. Why am I wrong calling my sandwich a gyro?
> I have no idea what they call ground meat on a spit and I don't care.
> The difference is between sliced meat and meatloaf in a gyro.

I have got myself too. After doing a little research it seems that they
are basically the name names for different things, depending on the
nationality of the restaurant. I was under the impression that a
Shwarma was made by stacking pieces of of meat on the skewer, cooing it
upright and slicing off the cooked meat as needed while a Gyros was
generally more of a meatloaf construction cooked the same way.

At any rate, I am going to get on the next time I am at my favourite
middle eastern place because I know they have better pitas than the
other places and that they are more generous with the meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:29:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> After doing a little research it seems that they
> are basically the name names for different things, depending on the
> nationality of the restaurant.

Thanks, that makes sense to me. I see they are also called
döner kebab. They're just called gyros around here, even by the
Turks, so everyone knows what it is.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:22:19 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the time,
> > and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my expense
> > account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the shop I at the
> > brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was to throw out the
> > sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented making sandwiches
> > for me if I was not eating them.

> It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
> just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. Of
> course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never the
> case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me with
> a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And most
> likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
> me for cooking too much food!
>
> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
> the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
> make it fast enough.

Sounds like he's a complete asshole. Do you only stay with him because you know that no decent man would want you?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> Sounds like he's a complete asshole.

Agreed.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:22:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> I had a job for about 10 years where I was on the road half the time,
>> and if I was away from the shop my meals were covered by my expense
>> account, so I ate in restaurants. If I was stuck at the shop I at the
>> brown bag special. One thing I had to learn to do was to throw out the
>> sandwich my wife had made. Apparently she resented making sandwiches
>> for me if I was not eating them.

>It freaking drives me nuts when my husband calls while I am making dinner or
>just after I have made it to tell me that he won't be home for dinner. Of
>course if he had to work late, I wouldn't be upset. But that's never the
>case. He just decides to go somewhere else on a whim. That leaves me with
>a portion of food that may or may not be eaten on another day. And most
>likely not. Sometimes he does this several days in a row and then he blames
>me for cooking too much food!
>
>As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
>to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
>screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
>the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
>make it fast enough.

You must have very low self esteem to put up with that. Does the
asshole even thank you for being his slave?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2011 12:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:29:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> After doing a little research it seems that they
>> are basically the name names for different things, depending on the
>> nationality of the restaurant.

> Thanks, that makes sense to me. I see they are also called
> döner kebab. They're just called gyros around here, even by the
> Turks, so everyone knows what it is.

Or perhaps to keep us all confused ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2011 2:32 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
>> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
>> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
>> the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
>> make it fast enough.

> You must have very low self esteem to put up with that. Does the
> asshole even thank you for being his slave?

I think that we figured out the low self esteem part when she wrote
about how her daughter was so bad in the restaurant that she was tempted
to walk out and leave her there. My kid would never have seen the inside
of a restaurant again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:29:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> After doing a little research it seems that they
>> are basically the name names for different things, depending on the
>> nationality of the restaurant.

> Thanks, that makes sense to me. I see they are also called
> döner kebab. They're just called gyros around here, even by the
> Turks, so everyone knows what it is.

I don't think they are the same thing but I could be wrong. Doner Kebabs
are cooked in milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> You must have very low self esteem to put up with that. Does the
> asshole even thank you for being his slave?
>
> Lou

He's an uncouthed pig. She's dull, whines all, lives to take on the
sick role and doesn't work. So he'll say she's dependent on him for the
roof over her head. She's written before that they don't live together
for the most part. I just can't imagine either of them finding someone
new to take them on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Are you talking about shawarma rather than Gyros?

Shawarma is meat that's cut into pieces, usually but not always slices.
Then it's servered with a sauce that usually but not always light
colored. I'm not sure if it's based on dairy/yogurt or on bean powder.

Gyros is meat that's finely sliced and stacked. When served it almost
comes out like it was a meatloaf. Kronos brand common in the US comes
in big cylinders that look a lot like meatloaf from a distance. It's
cooked upright next to a fire and sliced just before serving.

Once you're familiar with the terms they are distinct. Before learning
the terms they both tend to be on the menu at the same places so it's
not that hard to confuse them together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:11:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"

Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:23:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 12/10/2011 2:32 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> As for the sandwiches, I mostly just buy them premade now. He can just go
>>> to the fridge, take one and eat it. Otherwise we get to hear a whole lot of
>>> screaming while he waits for me to finish whatever it is I am doing to make
>>> the sandwich. And then while I am making the sandwich because I can never
>>> make it fast enough.

>> You must have very low self esteem to put up with that. Does the
>> asshole even thank you for being his slave?

>I think that we figured out the low self esteem part when she wrote
>about how her daughter was so bad in the restaurant that she was tempted
>to walk out and leave her there. My kid would never have seen the inside
>of a restaurant again.

My kid was bad exactly one time.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:19:26 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> You must have very low self esteem to put up with that. Does the
>> asshole even thank you for being his slave?
>>
>> Lou

>He's an uncouthed pig. She's dull, whines all, lives to take on the
>sick role and doesn't work. So he'll say she's dependent on him for the
>roof over her head. She's written before that they don't live together
>for the most part. I just can't imagine either of them finding someone
>new to take them on.

Being in a dysfunctional family is one thing. I think most people
have a quirk or two but playing it out here and using RFC as group
therapy is over the top. She seems oblivious to the fact that people
call her on it. What a lunatic.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2011 5:58 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Thanks, that makes sense to me. I see they are also called
>>> döner kebab. They're just called gyros around here, even by the
>>> Turks, so everyone knows what it is.

>> I don't think they are the same thing but I could be wrong. Doner Kebabs
>> are cooked in milk.
>>

> Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

I don't see no moo juice dripping from that hunk of meat.