Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT your common cold cure

Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse. Anything that
lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/10/2011 11:02 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe
> it's a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse.
> Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale whether
> Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you? Polly

I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots at
the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having recently
undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs to
the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time in
my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:02:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Thursday I had runny node

> Aren't you supposed to, like, pop it with a needle or something?
>
> -sw

I didn't spell that right. I hab a runny node. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

>Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I
> had runny node, sore throat, headache
> and cough. Nothing violent; just
> generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
> of the flu shot but probably not. DH is
> not a good nurse. Anything that lasts
> longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.

>Do you drink lots? (sounds good) *
> Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not?
> Any sure cures that work for you?

I think you are probably doing everything that is suggested to do for a
cold, as they always say to drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest
and eat chicken soup. Beyond that, I think it just has to run it's
course.

Hope you get to feeling better real soon, Polly, as I know a cold can be
so miserable! ( Hubby had his first cold in a very long time the end
of September, and it ended up going into Bronchitis, which many around
here seem to be getting. He just finished a round of antibiotics and is
much better, but still coughing once in awhile. I had my fingers crossed
that it would miss me....and it did.

I've never had a flu shot, and yet knock on wood, I never get the flu,
except the 24 hour stomach "bug" occasionally. My mom and dad would
faithfully get a flu shot every fall and still would end up with the flu
(not right away) but they would be sick for a month, so wasn't a light
case either, so I just don't see the benefit of getting pricked with a
needle, and I just take my chances, and hope I won't be sorry!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2011 11:38 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Polly wrote:
>
>> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I
>> had runny node, sore throat, headache
>> and cough. Nothing violent; just
>> generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
>> of the flu shot but probably not. DH is
>> not a good nurse. Anything that lasts
>> longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.

>> Do you drink lots? (sounds good)
>> Simmer chicken soup and inhale
>> whether Bill Clinton is around or not?
>> Any sure cures that work for you?

> I think you are probably doing everything that is suggested to do for a
> cold, as they always say to drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest
> and eat chicken soup. Beyond that, I think it just has to run it's
> course.
>
> Hope you get to feeling better real soon, Polly, as I know a cold can be
> so miserable! ( Hubby had his first cold in a very long time the end
> of September, and it ended up going into Bronchitis, which many around
> here seem to be getting. He just finished a round of antibiotics and is
> much better, but still coughing once in awhile. I had my fingers crossed
> that it would miss me....and it did.
>
> I've never had a flu shot, and yet knock on wood, I never get the flu,
> except the 24 hour stomach "bug" occasionally. My mom and dad would
> faithfully get a flu shot every fall and still would end up with the flu
> (not right away) but they would be sick for a month, so wasn't a light
> case either, so I just don't see the benefit of getting pricked with a
> needle, and I just take my chances, and hope I won't be sorry!
>
> Judy

It isn't really a cold cure; there isn't one, but hot lemonade made with
fresh lemon and a good slug of Scotch can make things more tolerable.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe
> it's a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse.
> Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?

That's about the only time I'll eat ramen. I add lots of chile-garlic sauce
and poach an egg in the broth.

A similar recipe is the Spanish sopa de ajo, garlic soup with bread and egg.
Here's what I wrote about it in 2003 (in a thread entitled "Sick food."):

Sopa de Ajo (garlic soup): This is one of the easiest and most flavorful
soups I've ever made. You slice garlic and cook it in olive oil until it
starts to turn golden. Then you add some paprika and salt, and let that
blend in for about a minute. You add hot water and simmer for another
minute, then add a dash of Tabasco, some chunks of stale bread, and let that
heat up until it just begins to simmer. Then you break an egg into it and
ladle broth over the egg while continuing to simmer until the egg is
poached.

Bo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe it's
> a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a
> good nurse. Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in
> trouble. Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup
> and inhale whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that
> work for
> you? Polly

Sometimes Airborne works if you take it at the first sniffle. Sometimes
Elderberry works. Ginger tea, chicken soup, hot baths and lots of sleep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:02:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Thursday I had runny node

> Aren't you supposed to, like, pop it with a needle or something?

OMG! I missed that typo. And now I got a visual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
> them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
> the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots at
> the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having recently
> undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
> protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs to
> the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
> little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time in
> my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.

I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
coincidence that you contracted the flu before
gaining the protection from the shot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:02:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>>> Thursday I had runny node

>> Aren't you supposed to, like, pop it with a needle or something?
>>
>> -sw

> I didn't spell that right. I hab a runny node. Polly

Poor lamb.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe
> it's a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse.
> Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?
> Polly

Hot toddy! Hot water, whisky and honey. Get into bed and get all warm and
comfy and sip your hot toddy. Repeat as necessary. If you repeat enough
you won't care about the flu

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther > wrote:

> Any sure cures that work for you?

Something on the similar lines posted a few years ago:

Here is a recipe for you.

- Have a nice, spicy, stiff Bloody Mary.

- Follow with Korean yukgaejang (spicy beef soup), or tom yam (Thai
sour-and-spicy soup - don't bother adding prawns, chicken, etc.), or
kimchi kuk (Korean kimchi soup).

- Then have another nice, spicy, stiff Bloody Mary or two.

You won't believe how good you end up feeling.

And do drink lots of liquids - they help to keep your mucous membranes
moist.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
>> them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
>> the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots at
>> the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having recently
>> undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
>> protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs to
>> the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
>> little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time in
>> my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.

> I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
> of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
> a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
> coincidence that you contracted the flu before
> gaining the protection from the shot.

I have gotten the flu shots for decades. They work for me, have not had the
flu in years. One year I skipped the shot and had had the worst flu ever
for me, three weeks of misery. I take the shots now with a religion. The
last six years I have been getting the shot at my doctors office, much
nicer, faster, no long lines, cost me $25. One thing the doctor said about
the shots. He said the shot I received is the top of the line with a broad
spectrum of protection. He said the shots at the free clinics covers fewer
types of the flu.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 8, 8:02*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. *Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
> and cough. *Nothing violent; just generally miserable. *Maybe it's a result
> of the flu shot but probably not. *DH is not a good nurse. *Anything that
> lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> * * Do you drink lots? *(sounds good) * Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? *Any sure cures that work for you?
> Polly

The best thing I've ever found is a compound called andrographis. It
is quite expensive in health food stores and the best price I've found
is on line at http://www.affordable-natural-supple...om/results.php.

This stuff works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 9, 8:10*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Oct 8, 8:02*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
> > Tuesday we had flu shots. *Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
> > and cough. *Nothing violent; just generally miserable. *Maybe it's a result
> > of the flu shot but probably not. *DH is not a good nurse. *Anything that
> > lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> > * * Do you drink lots? *(sounds good) * Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> > whether Bill Clinton is around or not? *Any sure cures that work for you?
> > Polly

> The best thing I've ever found is a compound called andrographis. *It
> is quite expensive in health food stores and the best price I've found
> is on line at *http://www.affordable-natural-supple...om/results.php.
>
> This stuff works.

Here's the WebMD overview of andrograhpis

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...e=ANDROGRAPHIS

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 11:02*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. *Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
> and cough. *Nothing violent; just generally miserable. *Maybe it's a result
> of the flu shot but probably not. *DH is not a good nurse. *Anything that
> lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> * * Do you drink lots? *(sounds good) * Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? *Any sure cures that work for st?
> Polly

At first sign of a cold, I take 2 aspirin, washed down with a good
dose of OJ, then straight to bed for a long night's sleep. This
method is guaranteed to decrease the length of suffering by thirteen
minutes.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thorson View Post
Dave Smith wrote:

I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots at
the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having recently
undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs to
the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time in
my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.

I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
coincidence that you contracted the flu before
gaining the protection from the shot.
I've thrice had that shot; and 20-40 minutes later was in flu trouble. Never again. Have had the flu only twice since my last shot 7 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:02:10 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
>and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
>of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse. Anything that
>lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
>whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?
>Polly

Sip screwdrivers, eat lots of fresh fruit, and rest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" <At first sign of a cold, I take 2 aspirin, washed down with a
good
dose of OJ, then straight to bed for a long night's sleep. This
method is guaranteed to decrease the length of suffering by thirteen
minutes.

LOL. Thank you, Kalmia. I just fought my way into a couple of
antihistamine. Apparently the packager had no intention of letting me
actually take the pills. I needed you to make me laugh. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I simply don't take flu' shots. They put me out of work for two days,
> and miserable for about a week. They make me deathly ill. I let the
> folks at work bully me in to them for three years in a row and now,
> never again!

It's best not to do things that make you sick.

:-)

Not many people get sick from flu shots, but if you are one of them,
then you are the exception that proves the rule.

> I have not before, but plan to start taking advantage of the sanitary
> wipes for the handles of shopping carts offered at every store around
> here ever since the H1N1 virus was invented.

I understand that a bunch of pigs got together and bought out the world
supply of handle wipes, and then invented the swine flu. That's where
it got its name!

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2011 12:33 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:02:10 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
>> and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
>> of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse. Anything that
>> lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
>> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
>> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?
>> Polly

> Sip screwdrivers, eat lots of fresh fruit, and rest.

Hot bath, hot toddy and bed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> Polly wrote:
>
>>Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I
>> had runny node, sore throat, headache
>> and cough. Nothing violent; just
>> generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
>> of the flu shot but probably not. DH is
>> not a good nurse. Anything that lasts
>> longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.

>>Do you drink lots? (sounds good)
>> Simmer chicken soup and inhale
>> whether Bill Clinton is around or not?
>> Any sure cures that work for you?

> I think you are probably doing everything that is suggested to do for a
> cold, as they always say to drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest
> and eat chicken soup. Beyond that, I think it just has to run it's
> course.
>
> Hope you get to feeling better real soon, Polly, as I know a cold can be
> so miserable! ( Hubby had his first cold in a very long time the end
> of September, and it ended up going into Bronchitis, which many around
> here seem to be getting. He just finished a round of antibiotics and is
> much better, but still coughing once in awhile. I had my fingers crossed
> that it would miss me....and it did.
>
> I've never had a flu shot, and yet knock on wood, I never get the flu,
> except the 24 hour stomach "bug" occasionally. My mom and dad would
> faithfully get a flu shot every fall and still would end up with the flu
> (not right away) but they would be sick for a month, so wasn't a light
> case either, so I just don't see the benefit of getting pricked with a
> needle, and I just take my chances, and hope I won't be sorry!
>
> Judy

Personally I think flu shots are a waste of time unless you're in a high
risk category. There are lots of different strains of the flu and no single
vaccine that will deal with all of them.

There's nothing much a doctor can do about a cold. Bed rest, plenty of
liquids, take aspirin (or whatever) for aches and pains. Chicken soup isn't
a cure but it tastes good

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:25:16 +0000, Gorio
> wrote:

> Mark Thorson;1669545 Wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:-
> >
> > I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
> > them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
> > the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots
> > at
> > the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having
> > recently
> > undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
> > protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs
> > the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
> > little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time
> > in
> > my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.-
> >
> > I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
> > of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
> > a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
> > coincidence that you contracted the flu before
> > gaining the protection from the shot.

> I've thrice had that shot; and 20-40 minutes later was in flu trouble.
> Never again. Have had the flu only twice since my last shot 7 years ago.

I've had a flu shot every year, seemingly forever, and haven't had the
flues I'd been vaccinated against. I've had a couple bad bouts of
pneumonia (even after the vaccine), but have had good luck with flu
shots. JME
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe
> it's a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good
> nurse. Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for
> you? Polly

My daughter drinks vinegar. I have done that a couple of times,
and it does seem to help. (The difference being that SHE enjoys
it, and I don't.) I also find that diligent ingestion of zinc
lozenges helps a lot. The result pretty much correlates with how
diligent you are--and, of course, when you start. I have gotten
to the rheumy, scratchy-throat stage and have been able to fend
off the rest.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat,
> headache and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe
> it's a result of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good
> nurse. Anything that lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
> Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
> whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for
> you? Polly

Two more comments. I gather rinsing one's nostrils with water or
a saline solution helps. Also, of course, if you end up
congested, you should ingest some Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, or
some Tom Yum, or something else of that ilk.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Polly Esther > wrote:
>
>> Any sure cures that work for you?

> Something on the similar lines posted a few years ago:
>
> Here is a recipe for you.
>
> - Have a nice, spicy, stiff Bloody Mary.
>
> - Follow with Korean yukgaejang (spicy beef soup), or tom yam (Thai
> sour-and-spicy soup - don't bother adding prawns, chicken, etc.), or
> kimchi kuk (Korean kimchi soup).
>
> - Then have another nice, spicy, stiff Bloody Mary or two.
>
> You won't believe how good you end up feeling.
>
> And do drink lots of liquids - they help to keep your mucous membranes
> moist.
>
> Victor

Noted. I was just eying some really spicy soups and stews at the
nearby Korean market.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gorio wrote:
> Mark Thorson;1669545 Wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:-
>>
>> I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
>> them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
>> the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots
>> at
>> the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having
>> recently
>> undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
>> protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs
>> the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
>> little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time
>> in
>> my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.-
>>
>> I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
>> of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
>> a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
>> coincidence that you contracted the flu before
>> gaining the protection from the shot.

> I've thrice had that shot; and 20-40 minutes later was in flu trouble.
> Never again. Have had the flu only twice since my last shot 7 years ago.

Too bad. I've gotten the shot MANY times and have never had any
reaction to it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:25:16 +0000, Gorio
> > wrote:
>
>> Mark Thorson;1669545 Wrote:
>>> Dave Smith wrote:-
>>>
>>> I used to get flu shots at work. My wife and a co-worker did not get
>>> them, insisting that the last time they had had a flu shot they caught
>>> the worst doses of flue they had ever had. I kept up the flue shots
>>> at
>>> the local clinics. Last winter I got one from my doctor. Having
>>> recently
>>> undergone heart surgery, he thought that I was in special need of the
>>> protection. A few days later I was nauseous. I made a number od runs
>>> the toilet to puke, but they were dry runs. I eventually threw up a
>>> little. A few days later I was sick as a dog. It was the first time
>>> in
>>> my life that I spent the day sick in bed from a flu.-
>>>
>>> I think it takes a week or two for the immunity
>>> of the shot to kick in. If you got the flu only
>>> a few days after the shot, I think it's just a
>>> coincidence that you contracted the flu before
>>> gaining the protection from the shot.

>> I've thrice had that shot; and 20-40 minutes later was in flu trouble.
>> Never again. Have had the flu only twice since my last shot 7 years ago.

> I've had a flu shot every year, seemingly forever, and haven't had the
> flues I'd been vaccinated against. I've had a couple bad bouts of
> pneumonia (even after the vaccine), but have had good luck with flu
> shots. JME

Are you old enough to get the pneumonia shot? Hmmm. That reminds
me...

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:37:22 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Are you old enough to get the pneumonia shot? Hmmm.

I didn't know there was an age limit.. My dad used to get pneumonia
once a year when he was still in his 20-30's. I think they tell you
these days to get the vaccine after you have pneumonia the first time.
I didn't realize the vaccine was supposed to last 10 years and had one
two years in a row, but got pneumonia anyway. Apparently those shots
are like flu shots and don't immunize you from every type either.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:37:22 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Are you old enough to get the pneumonia shot? Hmmm.

> I didn't know there was an age limit.. My dad used to get pneumonia
> once a year when he was still in his 20-30's. I think they tell you
> these days to get the vaccine after you have pneumonia the first time.
> I didn't realize the vaccine was supposed to last 10 years and had one
> two years in a row, but got pneumonia anyway. Apparently those shots
> are like flu shots and don't immunize you from every type either.

I heard the shot to get for older people is the shot to prevent shingles. I
got my annual flu shot today. Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or the
shingles shot.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:35:56 +0000 (UTC), Nad
> wrote:

> Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or the shingles shot.

How old are you supposed to be? I've had pneumonia twice and I know
someone who had shingles as a very young teenager.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nad" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:37:22 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> Are you old enough to get the pneumonia shot? Hmmm.

>> I didn't know there was an age limit.. My dad used to get pneumonia
>> once a year when he was still in his 20-30's. I think they tell you
>> these days to get the vaccine after you have pneumonia the first time.
>> I didn't realize the vaccine was supposed to last 10 years and had one
>> two years in a row, but got pneumonia anyway. Apparently those shots
>> are like flu shots and don't immunize you from every type either.

> I heard the shot to get for older people is the shot to prevent shingles.
> got my annual flu shot today. Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or the
> shingles shot.
>
> --

It is not illegal or immoral for a doctor or clinic to give a Shingles shot
to someone below the recommended age. But my idiot doctor wouldn't do it,
even though he admitted they would probably be lowering the age. The age
used to be 60, although people start getting shingles in their 50s. then the
recommendation was lowered recently (to 50 or 55, I don't recall) and I had
to tell my doctor since he didn't know about it. That guy is an idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:27:17 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> It is not illegal or immoral for a doctor or clinic to give a Shingles shot
> to someone below the recommended age. But my idiot doctor wouldn't do it,
> even though he admitted they would probably be lowering the age. The age
> used to be 60, although people start getting shingles in their 50s. then the
> recommendation was lowered recently (to 50 or 55, I don't recall) and I had
> to tell my doctor since he didn't know about it. That guy is an idiot.

I know chicken pox is related to shingles somehow. Do you get it if
you've had chicken pox already or if you didn't have chicken pox?
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:27:17 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>> It is not illegal or immoral for a doctor or clinic to give a Shingles
>> shot
>> to someone below the recommended age. But my idiot doctor wouldn't do
>> it,
>> even though he admitted they would probably be lowering the age. The age
>> used to be 60, although people start getting shingles in their 50s. then
>> the
>> recommendation was lowered recently (to 50 or 55, I don't recall) and I
>> had
>> to tell my doctor since he didn't know about it. That guy is an idiot.
>>

> I know chicken pox is related to shingles somehow. Do you get it if
> you've had chicken pox already or if you didn't have chicken pox?

you can get it if you had the chicken pox - it is like it is being
resurrected. I don't know if you can or are likely to get it if you didn't
have the chicken pox.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:12:06 +0000, chizcurlz
> wrote:

> always have alcohol in my bag (not the one that you'd drink)

Well, darn! That takes all the fun out of carrying alcohol around.
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Esther[_2_] View Post
Tuesday we had flu shots. Thursday I had runny node, sore throat, headache
and cough. Nothing violent; just generally miserable. Maybe it's a result
of the flu shot but probably not. DH is not a good nurse. Anything that
lasts longer than 30 minutes and I'm in trouble.
Do you drink lots? (sounds good) Simmer chicken soup and inhale
whether Bill Clinton is around or not? Any sure cures that work for you?
Polly
I almost never get sick, and I never get flu shots. Some people are more susceptible to such illness, so I can't speak for everyone. I just make sure I wash my hands a lot, and stay active. Getting plenty of sleep is another important aspect, so your immune system stays strong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

"Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Nad" > wrote in message
>> sf > wrote:

>>> I didn't know there was an age limit.. My dad used to get pneumonia
>>> once a year when he was still in his 20-30's. I think they tell you
>>> these days to get the vaccine after you have pneumonia the first time.
>>> I didn't realize the vaccine was supposed to last 10 years and had one
>>> two years in a row, but got pneumonia anyway. Apparently those shots
>>> are like flu shots and don't immunize you from every type either.

>> I heard the shot to get for older people is the shot to prevent shingles.
>> got my annual flu shot today. Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or the
>> shingles shot.
>>
>> --

> It is not illegal or immoral for a doctor or clinic to give a Shingles shot
> to someone below the recommended age. But my idiot doctor wouldn't do it,
> even though he admitted they would probably be lowering the age. The age
> used to be 60, although people start getting shingles in their 50s. then the
> recommendation was lowered recently (to 50 or 55, I don't recall) and I had
> to tell my doctor since he didn't know about it. That guy is an idiot.

I am 53 years old. Doctors can hand out just about any drug they want. But
to be on the safe side they almost always will follow the guide lines the
government or national medical associations provides. Going against the
guide lines can a doctor in trouble. Example Michael Jackon's doctor on the
use of a specialized sleeping agent.

As for me, I did have chicken pox as a kid. I have also seen adults get the
shingles and it is a devastating thing to see. I want the shingles shot as
soon as I reach that golden age, what ever that age is. I also want Arecept
now, but my doctor would not give me that drug also.

Now what was I going say?

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nad" > wrote in message
> "Pico Rico" > wrote:

>>> I heard the shot to get for older people is the shot to prevent
>>> shingles.
>>> got my annual flu shot today. Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or
>>> the
>>> shingles shot.
>>>
>>> --

>> It is not illegal or immoral for a doctor or clinic to give a Shingles
>> shot
>> to someone below the recommended age. But my idiot doctor wouldn't do
>> it,
>> even though he admitted they would probably be lowering the age. The age
>> used to be 60, although people start getting shingles in their 50s. then
>> the
>> recommendation was lowered recently (to 50 or 55, I don't recall) and I
>> had
>> to tell my doctor since he didn't know about it. That guy is an idiot.

> I am 53 years old. Doctors can hand out just about any drug they want. But
> to be on the safe side they almost always will follow the guide lines the
> government or national medical associations provides. Going against the
> guide lines can a doctor in trouble. Example Michael Jackon's doctor on
> the
> use of a specialized sleeping agent.
>
> As for me, I did have chicken pox as a kid. I have also seen adults get
> the
> shingles and it is a devastating thing to see. I want the shingles shot as
> soon as I reach that golden age, what ever that age is.

go get it now!

Update: FDA Approves Zostavax Vaccine to Prevent Shingles in Individuals 50
to 59 Years of Age
April 19, 2011 -- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of
Zostavax (Zoster Vaccine Live), a live attenuated virus vaccine, for the
prevention of shingles in individuals 50 to 59 years of age on March 24,
2011.

Zostavax is already approved for use in individuals 60 years of age and
older. The FDA press release and the full prescribing information is
available at http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro...Announcements/
ucm248390.htm and http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi...ines/Vaccines/
ApprovedProducts/UCM132831.pdf.

The Bureau of Immunization will send an update when the Advisory Committee
on Immunization Practices (ACIP) publishes their recommendations in the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality
Weekly Report (MMWR). An updated Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) should
be published at that time as well. The current ACIP recommendations can be
accessed at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...5a1.htm?.s_cid
=rr5705a1_e.

Please note that Zostavax is on back-order in some areas. The following
Merck Vaccines link provides updated information on the vaccine supply:
http://www.merckvaccines.com/Order-V...ly-status.aspx.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> go get it now!
>
> Update: FDA Approves Zostavax Vaccine to Prevent Shingles in Individuals 50
> to 59 Years of Age
> April 19, 2011 -- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of
> Zostavax (Zoster Vaccine Live), a live attenuated virus vaccine, for the
> prevention of shingles in individuals 50 to 59 years of age on March 24,
> 2011.

That is some update, just changed this year

Since I just got my flu shot today, I will ask hime about it in six month
during my next checkup. Thanks for the info... If I can remember

Tie game, 11th inning, will this game ever end?

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:37:22 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>>
>>> Are you old enough to get the pneumonia shot? Hmmm.

>> I didn't know there was an age limit.. My dad used to get pneumonia
>> once a year when he was still in his 20-30's. I think they tell you
>> these days to get the vaccine after you have pneumonia the first time.
>> I didn't realize the vaccine was supposed to last 10 years and had one
>> two years in a row, but got pneumonia anyway. Apparently those shots
>> are like flu shots and don't immunize you from every type either.

> I heard the shot to get for older people is the shot to prevent shingles. I
> got my annual flu shot today. Not old enough for the Pneumonia shot or the
> shingles shot.

There's a pneumonia shot too. I took my dad to get it when I was
talking care of him.

--
Jean B.