Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Patty Melt

I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found out I
had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they were too many
carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about 1/3 of the sandwich,
if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband would eat the other 1/3
along with whatever else he ordered. This particular restaurant used huge
slices of rye bread which is why they were cut in thirds. But I could swear
that these (and any other I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty,
grilled onions, cheese and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.

When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided to try a
patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my blood sugar but it
tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered. But then the reason I
decided to order it is because I feel anything else I have ever ordered in a
Shari's has tasted pretty blah. The odd thing to me was that there was
Thousand Island dressing on the sandwich. I ordered it without because I
honestly don't know what is in the dressing and I don't usually like
dressing of any kind. I do like a good Italian dressing in a pasta salad
but that's about it.

So tonight we dined at another local chain. They had a patty melt on the
menu. And it listed Thousand Island dressing! Again, I ordered it without
the dressing. This one was not only blah but horribly greasy. So much so
that I had trouble even gripping it.

So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> So my questions are... *Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
> patty melt? *And what kind of cheese do you use? *Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. *I
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. *To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

The ones I've had came with Thousand Island dressing and American
cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" > wrote in message
On Oct 7, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> your
> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

The ones I've had came with Thousand Island dressing and American
cheese.

Interesting! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
be an abomination.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
restaurants. Its all assembly line cooking.

I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
like what your are served in he establishments.

One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
nice big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra
large serving of potato salad
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. I
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
restaurants. Its all assembly line cooking.

I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
like what your are served in he establishments.

One local independent i will order a patty melt at comes with your
choice of cheese, i usually get cheddar, but grilled on a good white rye,
with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
nice big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra
large serving of the house potato salad
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
>> your
>> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
>> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
>> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
>> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
>> not.

> Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
> melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
> bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
> be an abomination.

That's what I thought. I have since looked up recipes. Although the cheese
varies and sometimes even the bread, I have seen none with Thousand Island
on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"M. JL Esq." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
>> your patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had
>> Swiss but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
>> cheese. I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
>> flavorful rye bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and
>> these did not.

> What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain restaurants.
> Its all assembly line cooking.
>
> I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
> their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
> like what your are served in he establishments.
>
> One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
> choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
> with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a nice
> big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra large
> serving of potato salad

I usually don't like chains. Shari's is not a favorite of mine by any means
but it was the only place we could get my dad to go to. He has had a stroke
and has lost some of his memory for things.

The other chain does cook from scratch. I do like most of what I have
gotten there but they have really weird salsa. I am not sure what they put
in it. There are tomatoes. I can tell that by sight. But the end result
is an odd color. Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
looking. And it is oddly sweet. It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else? its
something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found out I
>had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they were too many
>carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about 1/3 of the sandwich,
>if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband would eat the other 1/3
>along with whatever else he ordered. This particular restaurant used huge
>slices of rye bread which is why they were cut in thirds. But I could
>swear that these (and any other I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty,
>grilled onions, cheese and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.
>
> When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided to try
> a patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my blood sugar
> but it tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered. But then the
> reason I decided to order it is because I feel anything else I have ever
> ordered in a Shari's has tasted pretty blah. The odd thing to me was that
> there was Thousand Island dressing on the sandwich. I ordered it without
> because I honestly don't know what is in the dressing and I don't usually
> like dressing of any kind. I do like a good Italian dressing in a pasta
> salad but that's about it.
>
> So tonight we dined at another local chain. They had a patty melt on the
> menu. And it listed Thousand Island dressing! Again, I ordered it
> without the dressing. This one was not only blah but horribly greasy. So
> much so that I had trouble even gripping it.
>
> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> your patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had
> Swiss but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
> cheese. I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
> flavorful rye bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and
> these did not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
> ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else?
> its something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

I have mainly gotten one in two places. The old K Mart cafeteria and the
Buttercup Kitchen in Oakland. I don't recall any choices there. I was
asked tonight if I wanted it on rye bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
>> ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else?
>> its something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

> I have mainly gotten one in two places. The old K Mart cafeteria and the
> Buttercup Kitchen in Oakland. I don't recall any choices there. I was
> asked tonight if I wanted it on rye bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
>it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
>they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

Hmmm... They use American cheese and you can also get bacon. No Thousand
Island. This is something I will have to look for on more menus. I don't
know why but it works very well for my blood sugar. Even after my little
boo boo today where I left my meter and insulin at home, my blood sugar was
fine later.

Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the tuna
part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that I can
eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.

If I am really in the mood for a tuna sandwich, I just mix in chopped
veggies and some lemon juice. Messy but edible. Needs something to hold it
all together. I've heard that hummus would work but I'm not sure I would
like the flavor. I wonder if cottage cheese would work? I added that to my
tuna when I was pregnant for extra protein.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

process the cottage cheese to smooth so it will hold the tuna/vegs might
also work with sour cream, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
>>it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs
>>says, they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

> Hmmm... They use American cheese and you can also get bacon. No Thousand
> Island. This is something I will have to look for on more menus. I don't
> know why but it works very well for my blood sugar. Even after my little
> boo boo today where I left my meter and insulin at home, my blood sugar
> was fine later.
>
> Now if only I could get a tuna melt! I haven't found a way to make the
> tuna part without mayo that is very good. I have yet to find a mayo that
> I can eat. It all has soy or eggs in it.
>
> If I am really in the mood for a tuna sandwich, I just mix in chopped
> veggies and some lemon juice. Messy but edible. Needs something to hold
> it all together. I've heard that hummus would work but I'm not sure I
> would like the flavor. I wonder if cottage cheese would work? I added
> that to my tuna when I was pregnant for extra protein.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 00:41:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> >> your
> >> patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> >> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
> >> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> >> bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
> >> not.

> > Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
> > melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
> > bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
> > be an abomination.

> That's what I thought. I have since looked up recipes. Although the cheese
> varies and sometimes even the bread, I have seen none with Thousand Island
> on it.

I have a feeling that some idea guy likes Rubens and saw McDonald's
had success with their secret sauce and thought - why not put thousand
island on a patty melt. You made me look at Denny's menu last night
and I made the sad discovery that they don't have their patty melts
listed anymore. Apparently, individual restaurants can serve them off
menu if they want to keep the ingredients around (for their "older
customers").

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 01:49:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> > iirc in the past the menu would say something like patty melt, when you
> > ordered the server gave you choice of bread, cheese and anything else?
> > its something i think i have only tasted when dh ordered it, Lee

> I have mainly gotten one in two places. The old K Mart cafeteria and the
> Buttercup Kitchen in Oakland. I don't recall any choices there. I was
> asked tonight if I wanted it on rye bread.

Rye is traditional, but I guess enough people don't like rye (the
wimps) that some places decided to offer a choice.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 04:06:38 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> steak n shake menu

Steak & Shake! That's the one. I went to Sonic (for the first time)
knowing I wanted to try a fast food chain name that started with S.
Wrong one. Sonic is kind of weird. There was no place to eat inside.
Either you order and eat your food in the car or you sit outside. Are
they all like that?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 12:44*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "M. JL Esq." > wrote in ...
>

> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> So my questions are... *Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> >> your patty melt? *And what kind of cheese do you use? *Both of these had
> >> Swiss but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
> >> cheese. *I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
> >> flavorful rye bread. *To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and
> >> these did not.

> > What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain restaurants.
> > Its all assembly line cooking.

> > I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
> > their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
> > like what your are served in he establishments.

> > One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
> > choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
> > with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a nice
> > big slice of pickle *i usually pay a dollar more for an extra large
> > serving of potato salad

> I usually don't like chains. *Shari's is not a favorite of mine by any means
> but it was the only place we could get my dad to go to. *He has had a stroke
> and has lost some of his memory for things.
>
> The other chain does cook from scratch. *I do like most of what I have
> gotten there but they have really weird salsa. *I am not sure what they put
> in it. *There are tomatoes. *I can tell that by sight. *But the end result
> is an odd color. *Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
> looking. *And it is oddly sweet. *It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

Yes, there are usually tomatoes in salsa!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 11:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. *Then after I found out I
> had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they were too many
> carbs for me. *She was little then and would eat about 1/3 of the sandwich,
> if that. *I would eat another 1/3 and my husband would eat the other 1/3
> along with whatever else he ordered. *This particular restaurant used huge
> slices of rye bread which is why they were cut in thirds. *But I could swear
> that these (and any other I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty,
> grilled onions, cheese and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.
>
> When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided to try a
> patty melt again. *It did actually work quite well for my blood sugar but it
> tasted kind of blah. *Not good like I remembered. *But then the reason I
> decided to order it is because I feel anything else I have ever ordered in a
> Shari's has tasted pretty blah. *The odd thing to me was that there was
> Thousand Island dressing on the sandwich. *I ordered it without because I
> honestly don't know what is in the dressing and I don't usually like
> dressing of any kind. *I do like a good Italian dressing in a pasta salad
> but that's about it.
>
> So tonight we dined at another local chain. *They had a patty melt on the
> menu. *And it listed Thousand Island dressing! *Again, I ordered it without
> the dressing. *This one was not only blah but horribly greasy. *So much so
> that I had trouble even gripping it.
>
> So my questions are... *Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on your
> patty melt? *And what kind of cheese do you use? *Both of these had Swiss
> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese. *I
> also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> bread. *To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

OH , had forgotten about patty melts! You used to see them a lot , but
now not so much..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 09:35:58 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> > > your
> > > patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had Swiss
> > > but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American cheese.
> > > also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
> > > bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did not.

> > Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
> > melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
> > bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
> > be an abomination.

> I've never known the parameters of a patty melt to be so narrow. In
> my mind they were simply open face hamburgers. You get to alter the
> bread, cheese, toppings as you wish.

It could be because you're such a young little whipper snapper. A
*real* patty melt has just as many boundaries as a "traditional"
Ruben.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:27:42 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> i am sure that ry bread isn't a requirement or my dh would have never
> ordered it, Lee

I doubt any restaurant that wants to stay in business would tell a
customer to take rye only or pick something else.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "M. JL Esq." > wrote in
>

> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
> >> your patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had
> >> Swiss but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
> >> cheese. I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
> >> flavorful rye bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it
> >> and
> >> these did not.

> > What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
> > restaurants.
> > Its all assembly line cooking.

> > I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
> > their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
> > like what your are served in he establishments.

> > One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
> > choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
> > with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
> > nice
> > big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra large
> > serving of potato salad

> I usually don't like chains. Shari's is not a favorite of mine by any
> means
> but it was the only place we could get my dad to go to. He has had a
> stroke
> and has lost some of his memory for things.
>
> The other chain does cook from scratch. I do like most of what I have
> gotten there but they have really weird salsa. I am not sure what they put
> in it. There are tomatoes. I can tell that by sight. But the end result
> is an odd color. Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
> looking. And it is oddly sweet. It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

Yes, there are usually tomatoes in salsa!

Only if it's Mexican salsa. Peach mango salsa is also popular.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> process the cottage cheese to smooth so it will hold the tuna/vegs might
> also work with sour cream, Lee

I can't stand sour cream so I wouldn't try that. Thanks!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 8-Oct-2011, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... They use American cheese and you can also get bacon. No
>> Thousand
>>
>> Island. This is something I will have to look for on more menus. I
>> don't
>>
>> know why but it works very well for my blood sugar.

> Neither sourdough or rye, and especially sourdough rye, have a significant
> effect on my glucose levels, When I must rely on fast food for a meal, I
> always look for a place that has a sourdough-based burger on its menu.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
>> your
>> patty melt?

> It is common to use thousand Island or Russian dressing on a patty
> melt. Along with Swiss cheese.

Hmmm... Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:54:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing on
>> > your
>> > patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of these had
>> > Swiss
>> > but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
>> > cheese.
>> > also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good, flavorful rye
>> > bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it and these did
>> > not.

>> Not American, mild cheddar (although swiss isn't unheard of). A patty
>> melt is a cheeseburger on rye bread (with grilled onions) and the
>> bread is lightly grilled to toast it. Thousand Island dressing would
>> be an abomination.

> I've never known the parameters of a patty melt to be so narrow. In
> my mind they were simply open face hamburgers. You get to alter the
> bread, cheese, toppings as you wish.

Open face? I have NEVER seen that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote:
> On Oct 7, 11:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found
>> out I had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they
>> were too many carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about
>> 1/3 of the sandwich, if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband
>> would eat the other 1/3 along with whatever else he ordered. This
>> particular restaurant used huge slices of rye bread which is why
>> they were cut in thirds. But I could swear that these (and any other
>> I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty, grilled onions, cheese
>> and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.
>>
>> When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided
>> to try a patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my
>> blood sugar but it tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered.
>> But then the reason I decided to order it is because I feel anything
>> else I have ever ordered in a Shari's has tasted pretty blah. The
>> odd thing to me was that there was Thousand Island dressing on the
>> sandwich. I ordered it without because I honestly don't know what is
>> in the dressing and I don't usually like dressing of any kind. I do
>> like a good Italian dressing in a pasta salad but that's about it.
>>
>> So tonight we dined at another local chain. They had a patty melt on
>> the menu. And it listed Thousand Island dressing! Again, I ordered
>> it without the dressing. This one was not only blah but horribly
>> greasy. So much so that I had trouble even gripping it.
>>
>> So my questions are... Do you normally put Thousand Island dressing
>> on your patty melt? And what kind of cheese do you use? Both of
>> these had Swiss
>> but I am pretty sure that the ones I had in the past had American
>> cheese. I also think these past two restaurants didn't use a good,
>> flavorful rye bread. To me a good rye bread has a strong taste to it
>> and these did not.

> OH , had forgotten about patty melts! You used to see them a lot , but
> now not so much..

Another thing commonly seen was the diet platter. Ususally had a hamburger
patty, cottage cheese, sliced tomatoes and a canned peach. Or stuffed
tomatoes. Or a chef salad. Not here anyway. I've heard such things are
still common in diners. But we don't have any true diners here. There are
a few places that call themselves diners but they don't have the same kind
of food that the East coast diners have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr gotten
> it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs says,
> they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

They have a whole "melt menu"!

http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/

The patty melt is:

"Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."

The Frisco melt is:

"Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:34:16 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Frisco sauce

What the H is Frisco sauce?
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr
>> gotten
>> it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what theirs
>> says,
>> they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

> They have a whole "melt menu"!
>
> http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/
>
> The patty melt is:
>
> "Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
> caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."
>
> The Frisco melt is:
>
> "Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
> buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or triple. I
worked there as a server when I was going to college. One particularly
enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high school kids back from a
sports event with a couple of teachers pulled into the parking lot. It was
about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be getting ready to close. But
suddenly there were about 30 people in the restaurant. Hungry teenagers. I
was working the floor with one other waitress and there was one cook manning
the griddle for the burgers and the fry station. We'd been closing so he'd
let the fry guy go early. At least we were able to keep the drive-thru
window closed and lock the doors behind the busload. What a PITA! But we
managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.

You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. But, the burgers
were actually pretty tasty.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>>
>>> i am sure rye bread must have been a choice or dh wouldn't have evr
>>> gotten
>>> it, try looking at the steak n shake menu on line and see what
>>> theirs says,
>>> they have had them and tuna melt forever, Lee

>> They have a whole "melt menu"!
>>
>> http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/
>>
>> The patty melt is:
>>
>> "Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
>> caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."
>>
>> The Frisco melt is:
>>
>> "Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
>> buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>> Petaluma, California USA
>>

> It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or
> triple. I worked there as a server when I was going to college. One
> particularly enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high
> school kids back from a sports event with a couple of teachers pulled
> into the parking lot. It was about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be
> getting ready to close. But suddenly there were about 30 people in
> the restaurant. Hungry teenagers. I was working the floor with one
> other waitress and there was one cook manning the griddle for the
> burgers and the fry station. We'd been closing so he'd let the fry
> guy go early. At least we were able to keep the drive-thru window
> closed and lock the doors behind the busload. What a PITA! But we
> managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.
>
> You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. But, the
> burgers were actually pretty tasty.
>
> Jill

Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?

-HB (BH investor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-e4vu_wL-M

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 9:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. *Then after I found out I
> had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they were too many
> carbs for me. *She was little then and would eat about 1/3 of the sandwich,
> if that. *I would eat another 1/3 and my husband would eat the other 1/3
> along with whatever else he ordered. *This particular restaurant used huge
> slices of rye bread which is why they were cut in thirds. *But I could swear
> that these (and any other I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty,
> grilled onions, cheese and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.

Right. Open faced, a hamburger patty on rye bread with grilled onions
atop (IIRC) a slice of swiss cheese. I remember the stringy look of
the onions.

Remember the old diet plate of a hamburger patty, a scoop of cottage
cheese, and some canned fruit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 5:44*pm, Honey Badger > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> >> They have a whole "melt menu"!

> >>http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/classic-melts/

> >> The patty melt is:

> >> "Nothing says, "Mmmmm" like two Steakburgers, American cheese and
> >> caramelized onions, melted together on toasty, grilled rye."

> >> The Frisco melt is:

> >> "Get ready for two Steakburgers with American and Swiss cheeses, on
> >> buttery, grilled sourdough with our sweet 'n tangy Frisco sauce."

> > It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or
> > triple. *I worked there as a server when I was going to college. *One
> > particularly enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high
> > school kids back from a sports event with a couple of teachers pulled
> > into the parking lot. *It was about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be
> > getting ready to close. *But suddenly there were about 30 people in
> > the restaurant. *Hungry teenagers. *I was working the floor with one
> > other waitress and there was one cook manning the griddle for the
> > burgers and the fry station. *We'd been closing so he'd let the fry
> > guy go early. *At least we were able to keep the drive-thru window
> > closed and lock the doors behind the busload. *What a PITA! *But we
> > managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.

> > You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. *But, the
> > burgers were actually pretty tasty.

> > Jill

> Most are open 24 hours. *Some close at 1:00pm. *Where did you "work"?
>
> -HB (BH investor)

I'd imagine that Jill worked there as a college student some 20-30
years ago, when burger joints routinely closed at 10 pm, and -- except
for In-n-out -- drive-thrus were a novelty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 7:44*pm, Honey Badger > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

> > It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or
> > triple. *I worked there as a server when I was going to college. *One
> > particularly enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high
> > school kids back from a sports event with a couple of teachers pulled
> > into the parking lot. *It was about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be
> > getting ready to close. *But suddenly there were about 30 people in
> > the restaurant. *Hungry teenagers. *I was working the floor with one
> > other waitress and there was one cook manning the griddle for the
> > burgers and the fry station. *We'd been closing so he'd let the fry
> > guy go early. *At least we were able to keep the drive-thru window
> > closed and lock the doors behind the busload. *What a PITA! *But we
> > managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.

> > You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. *But, the
> > burgers were actually pretty tasty.

> > Jill

> Most are open 24 hours. *Some close at 1:00pm. *Where did you "work"?
>
> -HB (BH investor)

Steak and Shakes are open here until 3:00 a.m. What time they re-open
I have no idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" > wrote in message
> On Oct 8, 7:44 pm, Honey Badger > wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> > It's just a variation on their burgers - single steak, double or
>> > triple. I worked there as a server when I was going to college. One
>> > particularly enjoyable (NOT!) evening was when a busload of high
>> > school kids back from a sports event with a couple of teachers pulled
>> > into the parking lot. It was about 10:00pm and we were supposed to be
>> > getting ready to close. But suddenly there were about 30 people in
>> > the restaurant. Hungry teenagers. I was working the floor with one
>> > other waitress and there was one cook manning the griddle for the
>> > burgers and the fry station. We'd been closing so he'd let the fry
>> > guy go early. At least we were able to keep the drive-thru window
>> > closed and lock the doors behind the busload. What a PITA! But we
>> > managed to get them all served and out of there in a couple of hours.

>> > You wouldn't get me to do that job again for anything. But, the
>> > burgers were actually pretty tasty.

>> > Jill

>> Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?
>>
>> -HB (BH investor)

Sheesh, you really are obsessed, aren't you HB?

> Steak and Shakes are open here until 3:00 a.m. What time they re-open
> I have no idea.

This was around 1980. The Steak & Shake was a franchise. It closed early
on weeknights, IIRC 10:00. And it and wasn't even open on Sundays. I
haven't been to a Steak & Shake in years so I have no idea what their hours
are.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Oct 7, 9:54 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I used to order these in restaurants quite a bit. Then after I found
>> out I had diabetes, I would split one with my daughter because they
>> were too many carbs for me. She was little then and would eat about
>> 1/3 of the sandwich, if that. I would eat another 1/3 and my husband
>> would eat the other 1/3 along with whatever else he ordered. This
>> particular restaurant used huge slices of rye bread which is why
>> they were cut in thirds. But I could swear that these (and any other
>> I ever ordered) had just a hamburger patty, grilled onions, cheese
>> and most likely butter or margarine on the bread.

> Right. Open faced, a hamburger patty on rye bread with grilled onions
> atop (IIRC) a slice of swiss cheese. I remember the stringy look of
> the onions.
>
> Remember the old diet plate of a hamburger patty, a scoop of cottage
> cheese, and some canned fruit?

Yes, I remember. I even posted about it. But I have never seen an open
faced patty melt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> When we took my dad to dinner at Shari's a few weeks ago, I decided to try a
> patty melt again. It did actually work quite well for my blood sugar but it
> tasted kind of blah. Not good like I remembered. But then the reason I
> decided to order it is because I feel anything else I have ever ordered in a
> Shari's has tasted pretty blah.

so most everything you've ordered there has tasted blah yet you continue to go
there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:44:06 -0400, Honey Badger wrote:
>
>> Most are open 24 hours. Some close at 1:00pm. Where did you "work"?

> Mine's open until 10. Are you sure you ain't thinking of White
> Castle? Because here in Texas I've never seen a Steak and Shake open
> 24 hours (or even past midnight?)
>
> -sw

And we are talking 1980... they closed at 10PM. Never open 24 hours when I
worked there. They weren't open on Sunday, either. Some sort of religious
thing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 8, 12:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > What you describe is a primary reason i don't patronize chain
> > > restaurants.
> > > Its all assembly line cooking.

> > > I resent the false advertising of those that advertise resturant food on
> > > their television commercials, and print media that DO NOT look anything
> > > like what your are served in he establishments.

> > > One local independent i will order a grilled cheese at comes with your
> > > choice of cheese, i usually get swiss, but grilled on a good white rye,
> > > with grilled onions, served with a individualistic potato salad and a
> > > nice
> > > big slice of pickle i usually pay a dollar more for an extra large
> > > serving of potato salad

> > I usually don't like chains. Shari's is not a favorite of mine by any
> > means
> > but it was the only place we could get my dad to go to. He has had a
> > stroke
> > and has lost some of his memory for things.

> > The other chain does cook from scratch. I do like most of what I have
> > gotten there but they have really weird salsa. I am not sure what they put
> > in it. There are tomatoes. I can tell that by sight. But the end result
> > is an odd color. Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
> > looking. And it is oddly sweet. It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

> Yes, there are usually tomatoes in salsa!
>
> Only if it's Mexican salsa. *Peach mango salsa is also popular.

That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
we think of the tomato/pepper combo...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Oct 8, 12:54*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > "merryb" > wrote in message

> > On Oct 8, 12:44 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > The other chain does cook from scratch. I do like most of what I have
> > > gotten there but they have really weird salsa. I am not sure what they put
> > > in it. There are tomatoes. I can tell that by sight. But the end result
> > > is an odd color. Not dark red like it should be but sort of washed out
> > > looking. And it is oddly sweet. It is advertised on the menu as sweet.

> > Yes, there are usually tomatoes in salsa!
> >
> > Only if it's Mexican salsa. *Peach mango salsa is also popular.

> That is true- there are lots of them, but to most, when you say salsa
> we think of the tomato/pepper combo...

I think the word "salsa" makes a lot more sense when you know that it is
simply the Spanish word for "sauce".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 15:48:30 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
> > "Ranee at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message

> > > Yes, they are drive thru/drive ins.

> > steak and shake is not a fast food resto, Lee

> No, but Sonic, where she went, is.

FWIW: I didn't know Steak & Shake wasn't fast food. I saw several Del
Taco's, but didn't try that one either.