Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Jumbo Lump Crab Meat - suggestions?

If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
& Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?

Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
(http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
(http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for "crab
meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies salad".

However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
it's more fun to ask here )

Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic &
> Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make the
> ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>
> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for "crab
> meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies
> salad".
>
> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
> meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
> it's more fun to ask here )
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*

I think any dish made with crab should be simple and delicate. You don't
want to lose the taste of the crab.

We make Crab Newburg, basically a Lobster Newburg with crab meat. I make a
simple bechamel sauce with milk, some cream and some crab stock. The crab
stock is important. Use the shells you have and make stock, reduce it and
put that in the dish.

We also like crab soufflé, a wonderful dish that communicates with higher
powers. Make it just like a cheese soufflé, and add crab meat.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/1/2011 7:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:38:47 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
>> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
>> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
>> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?

> I just made some crab and cream cheese dip. I know it's a cheap way
> to use up crab, especially jumbo lump, but I've had it in the fridge
> for 4 months. a part each cream cheese and crab, red capsicum,
> shallot, pepper, worcestershire, celery salt.
>
> I buy a one pound container at the restaurant supply store that is $1
> less than the 6oz containers at the grocery store.

How much does that one-lb container of lump crab meat cost? The one at
at Sams Club is nearly $18/lb (ouch) - but it's not something I buy all
the time - it's a treat. Seems the jumbo lump crab meat is cheaper than
beef tenderloin at most grocery stores! Beef tenderloin goes for about
$22/lb in most grocery stores (OUCH!).

OOH - now that's rather a good idea about a dip of sorts, although not
with cream cheese. Now I can't help but think of artichoke heart dip
with crab included! Simple recipe -- cup of mayo, cup of Parmesan, and
a can of drained/pressed (and chopped) artichoke hearts. Just include
the crab and maybe add a quarter cup more of mayo or more to make the
consistency right. Cover with panko and dabs of butter then bake as usual.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 18:03:52 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> We also like crab soufflé, a wonderful dish that communicates with higher
>> powers.

> And you eat it?
>
> -sw

IMHO (which is not all that humble), jumbo lump crab meat is for 'show'.
You carefully add it to a chilled green salad. Old Bay is for yankees -
anybody north of Interstate 10. Here on the Gulf Coast, we're going to make
a crab po'boy and crab meat is crab meat for those. Our just most favorite
food in the world. Or maybe it's seafood gumbo. We use Zatarain's
seasoning. Haven't you seen their commercial? They say theirs is better
because they play New Orleans jazz while they're blending it together.
Makes sense to me. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 1, 10:02*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 18:03:52 -0700, Kent wrote:

> >> We also like crab souffl , a wonderful dish that communicates with higher
> >> powers.

> > And you eat it?

> > -sw

> IMHO (which is not all that humble), jumbo lump crab meat is for 'show'.
> You carefully add it to a chilled green salad. *Old Bay is for yankees -
> anybody north of Interstate 10. *Here on the Gulf Coast, we're going to make
> a crab po'boy and crab meat is crab meat for those. *Our just most favorite
> food in the world. *Or maybe it's seafood gumbo. We use Zatarain's
> seasoning. *Haven't you seen their commercial? *They say theirs is better
> because they play New Orleans jazz while they're blending it together.
> Makes sense to me. *Polly

I always loved Redfish, trout, or flounder Meuniere. You can do the
fish fried or broiled and top it with the Meuniere sauce and lump
crabmeat. Rich, delicious and memorable.

Or do a crab meat ravigotte the way they make it at Galatoires.
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/app/crab-maison.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

either steam with drawn butter, or in a white sauce over my favorite pasta
with asparagus or artichokes steamed on the side, Lee
"Sky" > wrote in message
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic &
> Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make the
> ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>
> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for "crab
> meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies
> salad".
>
> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
> meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
> it's more fun to ask here )
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 7:38 pm, Sky > wrote:
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?

I've not tried this yet, but it's sitting in my queue for this week:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food...with_crabmeat/

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2011 7:38 PM, Sky wrote:
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>
> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for "crab
> meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies
> salad".
>
> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
> meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
> it's more fun to ask here )
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*

Most of these recipes use Old Bay seasoning, but there are some
classics. In addition to dips and spreads, I like crab imperial stuff
in baked fish. Crab puffs are also a nice change.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/b...8772.htmlstory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2011 6:38 PM, Sky wrote:
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from
> Atlantic & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other
> than_ make the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>
> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
> http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for
> "crab meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west
> indies salad".
>
> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd
> be interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump
> crab meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes,
> except it's more fun to ask here )
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*

You can use crab to make stuffed flounder.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 00:02:19 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

>>> And you eat it?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> IMHO (which is not all that humble), jumbo lump crab meat is for 'show'.
>> You carefully add it to a chilled green salad. Old Bay is for yankees -
>> anybody north of Interstate 10.

> I resent that, by about 76 miles.
>
> I kinda like the texture of body meat better than lump claw. I don't
> go for the extra super lump stuff.
>
> -sw

I dont know about any of that nonsense. All my Crab comes fresh out of the
shell. Anything crab east of I-5 is for Yankees

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 10/1/2011 6:38 PM, Sky wrote:
>> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
>> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
>> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>>
>> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
>> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
>> meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
>> it's more fun to ask here )
>>
>> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*
>>

> You can use crab to make stuffed flounder.
>
> Becca

I recently made a Crab (Dungeness) stuffed Salmon . Everyone that had it
was quite impressed. Thankfully its easy to forage around here Crab in a
can is like Salmon from a farm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 1, 4:38*pm, Sky > wrote:
> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>
> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...rl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...l.com/3wl59r6). *There are many recipe variations for "crab
> meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies salad".
>
> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
> meat. *Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
> it's more fun to ask here )
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any OBS*
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Open face Crab melt- gently mix crab with mayo & a little green onion.
Put on toasted English muffin halves, and top with a thin slice of
cheddar and a slice of tomato- broil until hot. One of the only times
I will combine seafood & cheese!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/2/2011 3:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 10/1/2011 7:38 PM, Sky wrote:
>> If you had a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (aka "backfin") from Atlantic
>> & Gulf of Mexico blue crabs, what would you do with it _other than_ make
>> the ubiquitous crab cakes with Old Bay Seasoning*?
>>
>> Usually, I'll make "west indies salad"
>> (http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2...ies_salad.html or
>> http://tinyurl.com/3gvuw9e) or perhaps "crab meat au gratin"
>> (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1826,...254202,00.html or
>> http://tinyurl.com/3wl59r6). There are many recipe variations for "crab
>> meat au gratin" but there's only one genuine recipe for "west indies
>> salad".
>>
>> However, the two crab dishes I listed above tend to get old, so it'd be
>> interesting to learn what other folks like to do with jumbo lump crab
>> meat. Yeah Yeah, I could Google and find gazillions of recipes, except
>> it's more fun to ask here )

> Most of these recipes use Old Bay seasoning, but there are some
> classics. In addition to dips and spreads, I like crab imperial stuff in
> baked fish. Crab puffs are also a nice change.
>
> http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/b...8772.htmlstory

Thanks so much for the link Lots of interesting recipes for lump
crab meat!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2011 12:57 AM, Sky wrote:
> Thanks so much for the link Lots of interesting recipes for lump
> crab meat!

Yeah... this has been a fun thread to read. I didn't offer any
suggestions since I think that the only way to use good lump crab meat
is in crab cakes and you kind of ruled that out.

The better the crab meat, the less I want done to it. Form it in a
patty with just an egg and a touch of mayo to hold it together... easy
on the spices.... and for Pete's sake, if you are going to use
breadcrumbs, go easy. Fry gently in butter.

I miss the crab cakes from the NE corridor area of the country. In most
other places, "crab cakes" are more like deviled crab with a lot of
bread filler. Not to say that can't be tasty, but it really isn't a
true crab cake.

George L