Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wine warning

I jes bought a box o' wine, bota box, by name. A zin. **In my
opinion!**, the absolute worst nasty horrible ****er disgusting
almost-undrinkable wine I've ever experienced.

In short, I don't recommend it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> I jes bought a box o' wine, bota box, by name. A zin. **In my
> opinion!**, the absolute worst nasty horrible ****er disgusting
> almost-undrinkable wine I've ever experienced.
>
> In short, I don't recommend it.
>
> nb

Wife bought a bottle of Merlot at Trader Joe's last week. Very generic
label; didn't say who made it and the winebot that sold it to her went
on and on about how they couldn't reveal the vintner but it was a big
name, yada yada. The wine was "Napa River" and I'm not sure what year.
Generally I don't drink her wine and she doesn't drink my beer.

She was grimacing as she sipped it and asked if it might be better
chilled. I said no, Merlot will taste better at a cool room
temperature. She said she had several more bottles if I wanted them and
I told her I'd drink anything. I was wrong. I tasted the stuff and it
was wretched, so I told her to take them back and get her money back --
including the one that was open.

Nasty, horrible stuff. And yet I see online reviews about how great and
undiscovered it is. I know there's no accounting for taste, but I think
some folks have bought into the "exclusive private label" b.s.

(As far as box wine goes, try Peter Vella's burgundy. It's about $12
for 5 liters of quite drinkable mediocre wine. It's perfect to go with
pizza.)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Wife bought a bottle of Merlot at Trader Joe's last week. Very generic
> label; didn't say who made it and the winebot that sold it to her went
> on and on about how they couldn't reveal the vintner but it was a big
> name, yada yada. The wine was "Napa River" and I'm not sure what year.

Big name? That would be Gallo.

:-)

> Generally I don't drink her wine and she doesn't drink my beer.

I have a tip for you here. The big name in beer is "Budweiser". You
can call it "Bud" for short. Don't tell anybody else, though. It will
be our little secret.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>> Wife bought a bottle of Merlot at Trader Joe's last week. Very generic
>> label; didn't say who made it and the winebot that sold it to her went
>> on and on about how they couldn't reveal the vintner but it was a big
>> name, yada yada. The wine was "Napa River" and I'm not sure what year.

> Big name? That would be Gallo.
>
> :-)

Actually, I think it's "Bronco". The same company that makes 2 Buck
Chuck and Franzia.

>> Generally I don't drink her wine and she doesn't drink my beer.

> I have a tip for you here. The big name in beer is "Budweiser". You
> can call it "Bud" for short. Don't tell anybody else, though. It will
> be our little secret.
>
> :-)

Michelob is OK, and that "1960's recipe" remake of Schlitz (not sure if
it's still available), but mostly I drink Schell's, Leinenkeugel, Sam
Adams, Sierra Nevada, Summit, etc.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I jes bought a box o' wine, bota box, by name. A zin. **In my
> opinion!**, the absolute worst nasty horrible ****er disgusting
> almost-undrinkable wine I've ever experienced.
>
> In short, I don't recommend it.
>
> nb

I wonder if it was just a bad box or if it was just swill from the start?
I've had Bota Box a couple of times and it was OK. Not great wine, but not
bad for a box wine. I'll avoid the zin though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message ...

| "notbob" > wrote in message
| > I jes bought a box o' wine, bota box, by name. A zin. **In my
| > opinion!**, the absolute worst nasty horrible ****er disgusting
| > almost-undrinkable wine I've ever experienced.
| >
| > In short, I don't recommend it.
| >
| > nb
|
| I wonder if it was just a bad box or if it was just swill from the start?
| I've had Bota Box a couple of times and it was OK. Not great wine, but not
| bad for a box wine. I'll avoid the zin though.

It sounds like a bad box, which of course can happen with mishandling.
I have found the Bota Zin to be the second best wine that Bota
boxes, with their Malbec the best of lot. In either case a touch of
chilling will not hurt at all. Two other pretty neat box wines come from
Octavin: Seven, and Big House Red. Strictly IMO, by the way.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:53:46 +0200, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> I jes bought a box o' wine, bota box, by name. A zin. **In my
>> opinion!**, the absolute worst nasty horrible ****er disgusting
>> almost-undrinkable wine I've ever experienced.
>>
>> In short, I don't recommend it.
>>
>> nb

>I wonder if it was just a bad box or if it was just swill from the start?
>I've had Bota Box a couple of times and it was OK. Not great wine, but not
>bad for a box wine. I'll avoid the zin though.

I don't know why people disparage box wine, if they bought bottled
wine at 5 liters for $18 boxed would be better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I've never seen the Schlitz Gusto (had to look it up to get that name)
> I alternate between the Tripel Belgian ales and Steel Reserve
> 211/Stack beer. It all evens out financially and practically ;-)

I have a drink most weeks and more than one enough weeks that my average
is probably over one per week. I figure if I want a Trappist ale it
doesn't matter what it costs. I also brew my own for a sizable fraction
of what I drink and that's not cheap. You have to brew a vast amount
before the economoy of scale gets it cheaper than most beers. To get it
down cheaper than the $15+ per bottle of Trappist ales, that's a lot
more easy.