Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Philadelphia Eagles vs. New York Giants?

Andy wrote:
> OT: Philadelphia Eagles vs. New York Giants?
>
> A good excuse for another Philly cheesesteak and a soft pretzel
> w/mustard on the side.
>
> Why the heck after 30 years of playing in New Jersey that they're
> still called the New York Giants is an insult to anyone with an IQ.
>
> Go Eagles!!!
>
> Andy

I was in Philly over the weekend - dinner Saturday night was 2
cheesesteak hoagies: meat, cheese, a bit of lettuce and tomatoe on them,
and I ordered them with extra cheese and sweet peppers. I think these
were about as close to perfect as food can be - the vegetable was
already included. I only managed to make it through 1-1/2 of them
but as my age and at my size, that's not bad, says me.

NB to Philly tourists - I wasn't even in the city proper, and you do
_not_ need to go to Pat's in South Philly or anything like that. Almost
every pizza shop in metropolitan area makes a fine cheesesteak sandwich,
IMHO. Mine was from he

http://www.lucianispizzeria.com

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2011 10:51 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> I was in Philly over the weekend - dinner Saturday night was 2
> cheesesteak hoagies: meat, cheese, a bit of lettuce and tomatoe on them,
> and I ordered them with extra cheese and sweet peppers. I think these
> were about as close to perfect as food can be - the vegetable was
> already included. I only managed to make it through 1-1/2 of them
> but as my age and at my size, that's not bad, says me.
>
> NB to Philly tourists - I wasn't even in the city proper, and you do
> _not_ need to go to Pat's in South Philly or anything like that. Almost
> every pizza shop in metropolitan area makes a fine cheesesteak sandwich,
> IMHO. Mine was from he
>
> http://www.lucianispizzeria.com

I agree. Every neighborhood in the Philadelphia area is loaded with
good, local sandwich/pizza shops. Competition is fierce so prices stay
relatively low and if you don't have a good product, you don't last long.

Pat's and Geno's in Philadelphia get a lot of press, but there are many
local places that blow them away.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> I was in Philly over the weekend - dinner Saturday night was 2
>> cheesesteak hoagies: meat, cheese, a bit of lettuce and tomatoe on
>> them, and I ordered them with extra cheese and sweet peppers. I
>> think these were about as close to perfect as food can be - the
>> vegetable was already included. I only managed to make it
>> through 1-1/2 of them but as my age and at my size, that's not bad,
>> says me.
>>
>> NB to Philly tourists - I wasn't even in the city proper, and you do
>> _not_ need to go to Pat's in South Philly or anything like that.

> Almost
>> every pizza shop in metropolitan area makes a fine cheesesteak
>> sandwich, IMHO. Mine was from he
>>
>> http://www.lucianispizzeria.com

> Steve,
>
> Sounds like you enjoyed your visit!
>
> I've never had a cheesesteak hoagie. I probably should, at least
> once. No doubt healthier by virtue of the added veggies.

I actually ordered a side salad with my two cheesesteak hoagies but only
picked it at because the lettuce and tomatoe, not to mention the sweet
peppers, were plenty for me.

Plus, there's got to be some sort of extra points for ordering a single
item that's got two - count 'em, two - Philly-specific words in it:
cheesesteak, and hoagie.

> I've never been to the restaurant you URLd but I agree, almost any
> restaurant can serve up a 100x better Philly cheesesteak than Pat's
> can. AND in addition, they'll be served hot!
>
> Did you go to the Eagles (Seagulls to some) footbaall game?

Nope, there on other business.

> Best,
>
> Andy

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 10:51 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> I was in Philly over the weekend - dinner Saturday night was 2
>> cheesesteak hoagies: meat, cheese, a bit of lettuce and tomatoe on
>> them, and I ordered them with extra cheese and sweet peppers. I
>> think these were about as close to perfect as food can be - the
>> vegetable was already included. I only managed to make it
>> through 1-1/2 of them but as my age and at my size, that's not bad,
>> says me. NB to Philly tourists - I wasn't even in the city proper,
>> and you do
>> _not_ need to go to Pat's in South Philly or anything like that.
>> Almost every pizza shop in metropolitan area makes a fine
>> cheesesteak sandwich, IMHO. Mine was from he
>>
>> http://www.lucianispizzeria.com

> I agree. Every neighborhood in the Philadelphia area is loaded with
> good, local sandwich/pizza shops. Competition is fierce so prices
> stay relatively low and if you don't have a good product, you don't
> last long.
> Pat's and Geno's in Philadelphia get a lot of press, but there are
> many local places that blow them away.
>
> George L

Yup - agree completely.

-S-