Old 25-09-2011, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking For "Chewy" Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe-Not Soft Or Crisp

For many years I would only use the "original" Chocolate Chip Cookie
recipe on the Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chip package, and thought
they were near perfect. However, the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp,
water and I don't recall it using 1 cup of all butter, and the cookies
were thicker and chewy, but I used 1 cup of Crisco shortening in place
of butter, as found that made them flat and crisp, and I don't like thin
crisp cookies.

Over the years I have tried other recipes, that said they were "the
best". Some used half butter and half shortening, and some used brown
AND white sugar both. I was pleased with them the day I baked them, as
seemed chewy and exactly what I wanted, but then after I stored them in
a airtight container (usually Tupperware) they would get soft and break,
and no longer chewy and solid. I get one I think is the "perfect one"
only to be disappointed after they sit awhile.

If you have a recipe you think I might be looking for, please post it
here...thanks! It's my hubby's favorite cookie, although it has never
been mine. Oatmeal Raisin are my favorite cookies, or a soft (but firm)
raisin spice cookie.

Judy

Old 25-09-2011, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 24, 4:18*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
[...]

These were the cookies we served every day. I think they fit what
you are looking for.

Baking time will vary by a minute or so depending on what kind of
oven you use and how it holds
temperature.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/cookies...e-chip-cookies
Old 25-09-2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 24, 4:18*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

Oatmeal Raisin are my favorite cookies, or a soft (but firm)
raisin spice cookie.

Judy

you probably have an oatmeal raisin recipe that you like, but we were
told ours were the bestest ever...

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/cookies...raisin-cookies

Old 25-09-2011, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2011 5:18 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

For many years I would only use the "original" Chocolate Chip Cookie
recipe on the Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chip package, and thought
they were near perfect. However, the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp,
water and I don't recall it using 1 cup of all butter, and the cookies
were thicker and chewy, but I used 1 cup of Crisco shortening in place
of butter, as found that made them flat and crisp, and I don't like thin
crisp cookies.

Alton Brown had a show years ago that featured three different recipes
for chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or soft.

This is the only one I could find on the Food Network site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-chewy/49666.html

gloria p
Old 25-09-2011, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:20:29 -0600, "gloria.p"
wrote:

Alton Brown had a show years ago that featured three different recipes
for chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or soft.

I saw that one too.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Old 25-09-2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Alton Brown had a show years ago that featured three different recipes
for chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or soft.

I saw that one too.

Add me to the 'me, too.' And I'd read somewhere after seeing his show
that the dark brown sugar is what gives the cookies that nice chewy
texture. Yummmm.

Old 25-09-2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

On 9/24/2011 5:18 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

For many years I would only use the "original" Chocolate Chip Cookie
recipe on the Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chip package, and thought
they were near perfect. However, the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp,
water and I don't recall it using 1 cup of all butter, and the cookies
were thicker and chewy, but I used 1 cup of Crisco shortening in place
of butter, as found that made them flat and crisp, and I don't like thin
crisp cookies.

Alton Brown had a show years ago that featured three different recipes
for chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or soft.

This is the only one I could find on the Food Network site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-chewy/49666.html

I remember the show that you mentioned in your first paragraph, which I
think is different than the show above. All three recipes are on the
site, but there is no explanation as to why the changes make for the
different cookies. It's a combination of flour, fat, leavening, shaping
and cooking, as well as some other changes. It was quite interesting.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 25-09-2011, 03:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote, in part
Over the years I have tried other recipes, that said they were "the
best". Some used half butter and half shortening, and some used brown
AND white sugar both. I was pleased with them the day I baked them, as
seemed chewy and exactly what I wanted, but then after I stored them in
a airtight container (usually Tupperware) they would get soft and break,
and no longer chewy and solid. I get one I think is the "perfect one"
only to be disappointed after they sit awhile.

Maybe you don't need a different recipe. Maybe it's your manner of storing
exactly what you want that's doing you in. If the room where you store the
cookies is humid and the container (although air-tight) is frequently opened
by a Cookie Monster - that's what's causing your cookies to get soft and
break. That's just a maybe. Worth considering though. OTOH perhaps you're
storing them too tightly lidded and a cookie jar that's not so air tight
would help. There are no calories in broken cookies. Polly

Old 25-09-2011, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

you probably have an oatmeal raisin
recipe that you like, but we were told
ours were the bestest ever...

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/cookies-and
-desserts/186-hizzoners-oatmeal-raisin-c
ookies

Thanks a bunch for both this recipe and also the one for chocolate chip
cookies, as both sound wonderful and the pictures look divine! I
couldn't find where it said how many cookies per batch each of these
make..do you recall? I'm not sure what butter blend is? I use real
butter for nearly all my baking and cooking, but some cookies just are
better with the butter flavored Crisco I have found.

Is it necessary, do you think, to use only unbleached flour for the
chocolate chip cookies? I always use pure vanilla when baking. I don't
have a convection oven. I have an electric range and the oven bakes a
little hot, so have to really keep an eye on something when it's baking,
and usually take it out 2 or 3 minutes sooner and I also turn the
temperature down just slightly.

Did you use to have a bakery, or something? It sounds like maybe you
did?

The recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I always use is the one that was
on the box of Mother's Oats years ago. I'm not sure they even make them
anymore, but I remember when mom would buy a box of them, she'd always
let me dig through the oats to find the "free" dish. :-)

Judy

Old 25-09-2011, 05:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:

Alton Brown had a show years ago that
featured three different recipes for
chocolate chip cookies: crisp, chewy, or
soft.

This is the only one I could find on the
Food Network site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/the-
chewy/49666.html

Thanks, gloria! appreciate you sending this. It was taking forever 'n' a
day to open it on my WebTV, which I use to access the various
newsgroups, so sent it to my computer, so can open it there and print
the recipe out.

I'd never heard of Alton Brown...did he have a cooking show at one time

Judy

Old 25-09-2011, 05:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 24, 11:36*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

I'd never heard of Alton Brown...did he have a cooking show at one time?

Judy

Oh my heavens! Where have you been girl?? No cable or satellite for
your tv????

Old 25-09-2011, 06:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 24, 7:18*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
[...]

It doesn't matter what recipe you use because once you seal them up in
a container they're going to get soft. A cookie that's dry and crisp
on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside when it comes out of
the oven is not going to stay that way.
Old 25-09-2011, 07:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote

Oh my heavens! Where have you been
girl?? No cable or satellite for
your tv????

No satellite dish, but do have cable and get LOTS of channels, but I
never watch daytime TV, except occasionally will watch the judge shows
(in part) that are on in the morning, but not for long. I watch very
little TV, as are other things I'd rather do.

Depending on how many years ago this guy was on TV too, as went from '74
to '87 without TV, as just felt it was better for our four kids to not
be staring at the boob tube all the time, and they thanked us later for
having the cable disconnected. Hubby and I sure never missed it, but now
I would, but I'm still very selective what I watch, and don't watch any
of the cooking shows, etc.

Judy

Old 25-09-2011, 10:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote:

for the holidays, I make 20 to 23 different kinds of cookies, and seal
them up in Tupperware and Rubbermaid containers and keep them in a cool
place for two weeks, or more, and they stay the same texture as when I
first store them away, but I've always had this trouble with chocolate
chip cookies, and have tried several recipes over the years, hoping to
find one that didn't soften in a matter of hours.

Have you tried storing them with a slice of bread in the container?

Bob