FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fwd: BB Italian translation, what are these items and what do theysay? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/411254-fwd-bb-italian-translation.html)

news 22-09-2011 03:34 AM

Fwd: BB Italian translation, what are these items and what do theysay?

maybe 4" high ceramic containers too small for
vases and without lids. They are also too oddly shaped to easily drink
from,having a rounded flair just under the lip on top, a 1" waist and
another rounded flair near the bottom before forming a truncated
pedestal. Made in Italy, they are beautifully painted under the glaze,
with almost calligraphic writing around the middles. One says Una
Rasino, the other Una Di Tuzia
I have uploaded a picture to my Flickr site .Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/

Stan Horwitz 22-09-2011 04:09 AM

Fwd: BB Italian translation, what are these items and what do they say?

In article >, news >
wrote:

> maybe 4" high ceramic containers too small for
> vases and without lids. They are also too oddly shaped to easily drink
> from,having a rounded flair just under the lip on top, a 1" waist and
> another rounded flair near the bottom before forming a truncated
> pedestal. Made in Italy, they are beautifully painted under the glaze,
> with almost calligraphic writing around the middles. One says Una
> Rasino, the other Una Di Tuzia
> I have uploaded a picture to my Flickr site .Any ideas?
>

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/

Uno means "One" or "an" in Italian. I think the other words are simply
proper nouns. Try http://translate.google.com or just googling those
terms.

Pico Rico[_2_] 22-09-2011 04:10 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:34:11 -0400, news wrote:
>
>> maybe 4" high ceramic containers too small for
>> vases and without lids. They are also too oddly shaped to easily drink
>> from,having a rounded flair just under the lip on top, a 1" waist and
>> another rounded flair near the bottom before forming a truncated
>> pedestal. Made in Italy, they are beautifully painted under the glaze,
>> with almost calligraphic writing around the middles. One says Una
>> Rasino, the other Una Di Tuzia
>> I have uploaded a picture to my Flickr site .Any ideas?
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/

> Is the phone really supposed to be an integral part of the picture?

it gave me a sense of the size of the items. At first I thought they were
much larger, until I saw the phone.

Giusi 22-09-2011 08:21 AM

"news" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> maybe 4" high ceramic containers too small for
> vases and without lids. They are also too oddly shaped to easily drink
> from,having a rounded flair just under the lip on top, a 1" waist and
> another rounded flair near the bottom before forming a truncated
> pedestal. Made in Italy, they are beautifully painted under the glaze,
> with almost calligraphic writing around the middles. One says Una
> Rasino, the other Una Di Tuzia
> I have uploaded a picture to my Flickr site .Any ideas?

You are missing the tops. They are containers for saving things in, similar
to some I have for herbs. Tuzio means flake, but rasino means nothing to
me. Rosino also means nothing to me. I am wondering if they weren't forms
of tobacco? I know flake is a tobacco term. Rasino/rosino could be a
tobacco type, I suppose.

ViLco 22-09-2011 02:57 PM

news wrote:

> maybe 4" high ceramic containers too small for
> vases and without lids. They are also too oddly shaped to easily drink
> from,having a rounded flair just under the lip on top, a 1" waist and
> another rounded flair near the bottom before forming a truncated
> pedestal. Made in Italy, they are beautifully painted under the glaze,
> with almost calligraphic writing around the middles. One says Una
> Rasino, the other Una Di Tuzia
> I have uploaded a picture to my Flickr site .Any ideas?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/

Apart from "una", the female form of "a" or "an", there isn't a single
italian word there. Or they're written in some local slang or they're
written in another language or Di Tuzio and Rasino are surnames: then they
could mean two female persons from these two families: "one (female) from
the Rasino family" and "one (female) from the Di Tuzio family". Who knows?
From their look and size I would say they're some kind of kitchen ornament,
those where one just puts some dried ears of wheat with part of the stem as
an ornament and a "portafortuna" (lucky charm) since wheat is supposed to
bring wealth.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

sf[_9_] 22-09-2011 05:11 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:57:43 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/

> Apart from "una", the female form of "a" or "an", there isn't a single
> italian word there. Or they're written in some local slang or they're
> written in another language or Di Tuzio and Rasino are surnames: then they
> could mean two female persons from these two families: "one (female) from
> the Rasino family" and "one (female) from the Di Tuzio family". Who knows?
> From their look and size I would say they're some kind of kitchen ornament,
> those where one just puts some dried ears of wheat with part of the stem as
> an ornament and a "portafortuna" (lucky charm) since wheat is supposed to
> bring wealth.

Too bad they aren't wider at the top, because they'd be good for
keeping salt & pepper if they were easier to get your fingers inside.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.