Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Chart: This is what you eat in a year.

Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 15, 12:44*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...his-is-what-yo...

The comments underneath are worth a read.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 2:46 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sep 15, 12:44 pm, > wrote:
>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>
>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...his-is-what-yo...

> The comments underneath are worth a read.

actual link:
http://tinyurl.com/42h69hk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:46:25 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Sep 15, 12:44*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>
>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...his-is-what-yo...

>The comments underneath are worth a read.

Amen-- I call BS on the whole thing, really. Kevin Keith says it
better in the comments.

The 2 things that smacked me in the head for a big ?WhaaaaaaTF?-
Grouping coffee tea and nuts together? Why?
Average American eats 24lbs of artificial sweeteners? [and only 24 lbs
of ice cream<g>]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/09/2011 5:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>
>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
> meat.

It is hard to tell how much of some of those things you eat because some
of them are ingredients in other things. I sure don't eat 65.5 lbs of
fast and oils, but goodness knows how much is in the foods we buy...
potatoe chips, baked goods, salad dressings etc.

110 lb of red meat? I don't think so. I have red meat only one or two
meals per week, a pound per week at most. I rarely eat eggs. Maybe once
every 2-3 weeks I have a single egg..... but..... I use them in baking.

The figure for dairy products is 2-3 times what I consume.

The corn syrup is hard one to figure. Corn syrup lasts for years around
her, but that high fructose sweetener is used in a lot of stuff and
anyone who drinks a lot of soft drinks is drinking a lot of corn syrup.

I probably eat a lot more fish than the average. I have it for dinner
usually two nights per week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 3:31 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Amen-- I call BS on the whole thing, really. Kevin Keith says it
> better in the comments.
>

> The 2 things that smacked me in the head for a big ?WhaaaaaaTF?-
> Grouping coffee tea and nuts together? Why?
> Average American eats 24lbs of artificial sweeteners? [and only 24 lbs
> of ice cream<g>]
>
> Jim

We only buy ice cream every 3-4 months, and we eat more poultry and eggs
than what they have on the chart. I drink water all day, I do not buy
soda's for myself. How could you use that much artificial sweetener in
one year, now that was puzzling.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:31:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
> >
> > http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
> meat.

It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
it's based on averages.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 15/09/2011 5:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>>
>>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

>> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
>> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that
>> much
>> meat.
>>

> It is hard to tell how much of some of those things you eat because some
> of them are ingredients in other things. I sure don't eat 65.5 lbs of
> fast and oils, but goodness knows how much is in the foods we buy...
> potatoe chips, baked goods, salad dressings etc.
>
> 110 lb of red meat? I don't think so. I have red meat only one or two
> meals per week, a pound per week at most. I rarely eat eggs. Maybe once
> every 2-3 weeks I have a single egg..... but..... I use them in baking.

I do eat red meat at least twice a week. But I rarely eat chicken and have
fish even less than that.

As for the fats, I probably eat less. I have been to many dieticians and
they all tell me I need to add fat to my diet. The foods I naturally lean
to are plain vegetables.

> The figure for dairy products is 2-3 times what I consume.

I have dairy mainly in the form of cheese. Little to no milk. Very little
butter. No yogurt.

> The corn syrup is hard one to figure. Corn syrup lasts for years around
> her, but that high fructose sweetener is used in a lot of stuff and anyone
> who drinks a lot of soft drinks is drinking a lot of corn syrup.

I will not buy anything with HFCS in it. It is possible that I am getting
some once in a while in a restaurant, perhaps in a pasta sauce. I can't
think of anything else I might consume that could have it. I only drink
diet drinks.

> I probably eat a lot more fish than the average. I have it for dinner
> usually two nights per week.

Then I guess you're not typical either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

> It is hard to tell how much of some of those things you eat because
> some of them are ingredients in other things.

That's why it's better to make your own food. I eat the packaged junk so
rarely that it wouldn't affect my personal chart by much at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/09/2011 5:55 PM, sf wrote:

>> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
>> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
>> meat.
>>

> It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
> it's based on averages.

Isn't that scary. 85.5 pounds of fat and grease a year, and if you and I
aren't eating it, who is?..... that huge person in a scooter who is too
fat to walk?
Frankly, I am surprised to see the fruit and vegetable numbers so high.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 15/09/2011 5:55 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
>>> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that
>>> much
>>> meat.
>>>

>> It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
>> it's based on averages.
>>

> Isn't that scary. 85.5 pounds of fat and grease a year, and if you and I
> aren't eating it, who is?..... that huge person in a scooter who is too
> fat to walk?
> Frankly, I am surprised to see the fruit and vegetable numbers so high.

I was surprised too. However... We've been shopping at Winco a lot these
days. They have very low prices and we do see what appears to be a lot of
low income people shopping in there. And I am amazed at what they buy. It
would seem it's either all healthy stuff or all unhealthy stuff.

I don't know if this is an ethnic thing or not. But we do see a lot of
Latinos buying huge amounts of fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers and a few
other produce items. But at least half of their cart is filled with
produce. Then they might have some tortillas.

I have seen a few Asian people who have a cart heaped full of cheap cup
noodles and very little else. Maybe some jugs of drinks.

Where is the protein? Now it's possible that these people are buying their
meat elsewhere. Because I don't personally think they have the best meat
there. I have bought a few things and they were fine but they do have a lot
of the cheaper/fattier cuts of meat and parts of animals that we just don't
eat.

Then I see families with carts full of junk. Hot dogs and lunch meats,
chips, candy. No produce at all.

It could well be that what I see in those carts does not represent what
these people are eating overall. Certainly I do not do all of my shopping
there. I go there mainly for the cheap prices. I do buy other things at
Costco and other places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:25:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 15/09/2011 5:55 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
> >> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
> >> meat.
> >>

> > It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
> > it's based on averages.
> >

> Isn't that scary. 85.5 pounds of fat and grease a year, and if you and I
> aren't eating it, who is?..... that huge person in a scooter who is too
> fat to walk?

I know! It's a scary thought to wonder who is eating what I'm not.

> Frankly, I am surprised to see the fruit and vegetable numbers so high.

I guess that means we're a fat nation for a reason: we're overeaters
in general.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:41:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I have seen a few Asian people who have a cart heaped full of cheap cup
> noodles and very little else. Maybe some jugs of drinks.
>
> Where is the protein? Now it's possible that these people are buying their
> meat elsewhere. Because I don't personally think they have the best meat
> there. I have bought a few things and they were fine but they do have a lot
> of the cheaper/fattier cuts of meat and parts of animals that we just don't
> eat.

If they're FOB's or even first generation, it's a cultural thing.
They don't eat very much meat in the old country and when they do,
it's fatty. My son and I shop for meat at the local Asian market
because prices are upside down in the meat department. Fatty meat is
expensive and lean meat is not, so if you're making carnitas or a stew
it's an economical source for meat. They're very picky about quality
and freshness, so you're not getting screwed either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:41:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I have seen a few Asian people who have a cart heaped full of cheap cup
>> noodles and very little else. Maybe some jugs of drinks.
>>
>> Where is the protein? Now it's possible that these people are buying
>> their
>> meat elsewhere. Because I don't personally think they have the best meat
>> there. I have bought a few things and they were fine but they do have a
>> lot
>> of the cheaper/fattier cuts of meat and parts of animals that we just
>> don't
>> eat.

> If they're FOB's or even first generation, it's a cultural thing.
> They don't eat very much meat in the old country and when they do,
> it's fatty. My son and I shop for meat at the local Asian market
> because prices are upside down in the meat department. Fatty meat is
> expensive and lean meat is not, so if you're making carnitas or a stew
> it's an economical source for meat. They're very picky about quality
> and freshness, so you're not getting screwed either.

Hmmm... I've bought very little food in the Asian markets. Almost always
the produce is not fresh. Often not even refrigerated. And the smell is so
fishy in there I would assume the meat not to be fresh either. I have
bought other things for the kitchen and 99 Ranch Market is my source for
good cheap brooms with dustpans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:18:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Hmmm... I've bought very little food in the Asian markets. Almost always
> the produce is not fresh. Often not even refrigerated. And the smell is so
> fishy in there I would assume the meat not to be fresh either.

Huh. The place I'm talking about doesn't stink and they sell fish
too, both alive and already dead.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:31:43 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>
>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

> That's not typical of my diet at all!

No SHIT!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:18:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... I've bought very little food in the Asian markets. Almost
>> always
>> the produce is not fresh. Often not even refrigerated. And the smell is
>> so
>> fishy in there I would assume the meat not to be fresh either.

> Huh. The place I'm talking about doesn't stink and they sell fish
> too, both alive and already dead.

I haven't been to the Asian markets in San Francisco for many years. When
we lived in the area we went to Oakland. Those stores were not good for
fresh food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
> it's based on averages.

That means for each of us who doesn't eat packaged food, there is someone
eating twice as much. I don't feel guilty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 4:46 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 3:31 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> Amen-- I call BS on the whole thing, really. Kevin Keith says it
>> better in the comments.
>>

>> The 2 things that smacked me in the head for a big ?WhaaaaaaTF?-
>> Grouping coffee tea and nuts together? Why?
>> Average American eats 24lbs of artificial sweeteners? [and only 24 lbs
>> of ice cream<g>]
>>
>> Jim

> We only buy ice cream every 3-4 months, and we eat more poultry and eggs
> than what they have on the chart. I drink water all day, I do not buy
> soda's for myself. How could you use that much artificial sweetener in
> one year, now that was puzzling.
>
> Becca

Amen. I don't have ANY sugar in the house. Coffee is the only thing I
use sweetener in. (Splenda)

I might go through 5 boxes of 100 packets in a year. (I drink a lot of
coffee) Probably 2 or 3 pounds.

I bet that I would be considered a HEAVY user, compared to most folks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 16, 6:48*am, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 4:46 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>

> > On 9/15/2011 3:31 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> >> Amen-- I call BS on the whole thing, really. Kevin Keith says it
> >> better in the comments.

> >> The 2 things that smacked me in the head for a big ?WhaaaaaaTF?-
> >> Grouping coffee tea and nuts together? Why?
> >> Average American eats 24lbs of artificial sweeteners? [and only 24 lbs
> >> of ice cream<g>]

> >> Jim

> > We only buy ice cream every 3-4 months, and we eat more poultry and eggs
> > than what they have on the chart. I drink water all day, I do not buy
> > soda's for myself. How could you use that much artificial sweetener in
> > one year, now that was puzzling.

> > Becca

> Amen. *I don't have ANY sugar in the house. Coffee is the only thing I
> use sweetener in. (Splenda)
>
> I might go through 5 boxes of 100 packets in a year. *(I drink a lot of
> coffee) *Probably 2 or 3 pounds.
>
> I bet that I would be considered a HEAVY user, compared to most folks.

You might want to do a bit of checking about Splenda. Splenda is the
trade name for sucralose. The FDA classifies it as a non-nutritive,
non-calorie sweetener. This chemical was discovered in 1975 by a
chemistry graduate student and his advisor at Queen Elizabeth College
in London, England. They were working on developing a new insecticide
and discovered that the product they were testing tasted sweet.
Testing originally consisted of dropping sulfuryl chloride into a
sugar solution.

After much testing and manipulation of the chemical formula, sucralose
was born. The chemical equation for sucralose is 1,6-dichloro-1,6-
dideoxy-beta-D-fructofuranosyl-4-chloro-4-deoxy-alpha-D-
galactopyranoside. Sucralose is much easier to say and it takes up a
lot less room on the ingredients label.

Splenda is not available to the public as pure sucralose. This would
be way too expensive. Instead, it is mixed with other sweeteners. Here
is the breakdown. Splenda packets are a mixture of sucralose and
maltodextrin, dextrose, or both. Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking is a
mixture of sucralose and regular sugar. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend is a
mixture of sucralose and brown sugar.

In reality, Splenda is a chemical. Technically it is an organochlorine
in the same class as DDT, Dioxin and other very toxic substances.

Read mo http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...#ixzz1Y7wPf5tL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2011 9:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sep 16, 6:48 am, Shawn > wrote:

>>> We only buy ice cream every 3-4 months, and we eat more poultry and eggs
>>> than what they have on the chart. I drink water all day, I do not buy
>>> soda's for myself. How could you use that much artificial sweetener in
>>> one year, now that was puzzling.

>>> Becca

>> Amen. I don't have ANY sugar in the house. Coffee is the only thing I
>> use sweetener in. (Splenda)
>>
>> I might go through 5 boxes of 100 packets in a year. (I drink a lot of
>> coffee) Probably 2 or 3 pounds.
>>
>> I bet that I would be considered a HEAVY user, compared to most folks.

> You might want to do a bit of checking about Splenda. Splenda is the
> trade name for sucralose. The FDA classifies it as a non-nutritive,
> non-calorie sweetener. This chemical was discovered in 1975 by a

snip....

> Read mo http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...#ixzz1Y7wPf5tL

Still gonna use it. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Splenda is not available to the public as pure sucralose. This would
> be way too expensive.

And far too intense. The closest it comes to pure form as of several
years ago was a product called something like SweetFreeze that is
sucralose diluted to water to the strength of saccharine drops. It's
not available at all times as it is very popular when it is available.

As to complaints about safety I'll agree. There's a predictable track
record that includes market forces as well as medical issues.

All artificial sweeteners are likely to cause problems because they are
chemicals tuned to trigger a response in us. They aren't inactive.

All artificial sweeteners also start out as patented products. For a
set number of years the inventor has a monopoly. It's an incentive to
invent new products and publish how they are made. During the time the
patent is in effect the manufacturer has a financial incentive to
publish studies that show it is safer than previous artificial
sweeteners and/or less harmful than eating too much sugar. But near the
end of the patent life the financial incentives change. The
manufacturer faces the certainty of a growing generic market. To battle
the generics it is suddenly in the manufacturer's financial interest to
start releasing studies that show the dangers of their product. They
have time to build up a valued brand name as such studies hurt the
generics more than they hurt the original. I saw this happen with
cyclamate, saccharine and aspartame before I realized the pattern and
why following that pattern helped the original manufacturer. If no
negative results happen they don't have any ammunition against their
coming generic competitors.

So near the end of the patent bad news starts coming out. I predict it
will come out for all such products ever. The question becomes how bad
is that one product relative to eating too much sugar. New products
can't have a fair answer unless you take that pattern into
consideration. Early on they are depicted as unmixed good. Near the
end of their patent they are depicted as unmixed bad. A decade later
the news has settled down and stops changing.

Now we know - Compare against saccharine for a minimum level of adverse
effects. Compare against aspartame for a maximum level of adverse
effects. For new products like sucralose and ace-k we are still in the
phase of guessing where they will end up in that spectrum. They sure
won't end up completely good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:55:52 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:31:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>> Well it doesn't fit me anymore but I bet it's pretty typical.
>>>
>>> http://www.theatlantic.com/life/arch...-syrup/244870/

>> That's not typical of my diet at all! No eggs, very little fruit, no
>> coffee, no corn syrup. Not that much dairy, very little fish, not that much
>> meat.
>>

> It doesn't reflect what I eat either, but at least I can understand
> it's based on averages.

presumably, yes. so 'i don't eat nearly that much' means nothing.

your pal,
blake

Here's another fun chart elaich General Cooking 17 11-11-2008 07:10 PM
WS Wines of the Year - Looking for chart for 10+ years Hunt Wine 22 19-03-2007 02:34 PM
Oil comparison chart. olczyk General Cooking 2 20-10-2005 07:12 PM
Lebanese vintage chart?? Vincent Wine 19 20-08-2004 03:52 PM
Caffeine Comparison Chart Tarapia Tapioco Coffee 0 19-05-2004 06:04 PM