Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern fried chicken

I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
is good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it
often but I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the
chicken in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour
and seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to
make a batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack
until cool enough to eat.

I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned
out so flavorful and tender.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 15, 11:40*am, Cheryl > wrote:
> I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
> is good. *Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it
> often but I really wanted to try it. *The recipe calls for soaking the
> chicken in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. *Then coat with flour
> and seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to
> make a batter dip. *Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack
> until cool enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
> it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. *Wow, it turned
> out so flavorful and tender.

Here's mine:

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/pou...-fried-chicken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 3:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/pou...-fried-chicken

Thanks! Other than brining, not too dissimilar. The recipe I used had
the chicken dredged twice. I have to agree about the long soaking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 15, 12:18*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 3:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > Here's mine:

> >http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/pou...nest-to-goodne...

> Thanks! *Other than brining, not too dissimilar. *The recipe I used had
> the chicken dredged twice. *I have to agree about the long soaking.

You can dredge twice if you want a thicker crust on your chicken.
Perfectly acceptable as there are a lot of people who like it that
way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 9/15/2011 3:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> Here's mine:
>>
>> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/pou...-fried-chicken
>>

> Thanks! Other than brining, not too dissimilar. The recipe I used had
> the chicken dredged twice. I have to agree about the long soaking.

You can also fry the chicken just to set the coating and then remove
from the oil, place in the oven and finish by baking the chicken.

"Maryland Fried Chicken".
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 1:40 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
> is good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often
> but I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the chicken
> in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour and
> seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to
> make a batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack
> until cool enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
> it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned
> out so flavorful and tender.

I wouldn't worry about offending southerners, we've all got our own
secret recipes for fried chicken. Of course mine is the best, at least
that's what all of us say about our recipes.

Yours sounds okay to me and I'm about as southron as they come.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 8:40 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
> is good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often
> but I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the chicken
> in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour and
> seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to
> make a batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack
> until cool enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
> it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned
> out so flavorful and tender.

I make a great fried chicken. I'll brine a turkey but have never tried
soaking chicken. It's juicy enough though. I'll just dip the pieces in
water and then seasoned flour. The secret to great fried chicken is to
use thighs and how you control the heat and frying. Most important is
that you don't overcook the chicken. It's also important to turn the
pieces 4 or 5 times. I don't know why, it just is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 1:40 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it
> sure is good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make
> it often but I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking
> the chicken in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with
> flour and seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the
> flour to make a batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then
> on a rack until cool enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs
> and it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it
> turned out so flavorful and tender.

If you liked it, then don't change a thing. If I am cooking a whole
chicken, I will soak it overnight in buttermilk and a tablespoon of
salt. When I am ready to cook the chicken, I toss the chicken in
seasoned flour, and if I want it crispy, I dip it in beaten egg and
milk, then back into the flour.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 6:26 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> If you liked it, then don't change a thing. If I am cooking a whole
> chicken, I will soak it overnight in buttermilk and a tablespoon of
> salt. When I am ready to cook the chicken, I toss the chicken in
> seasoned flour, and if I want it crispy, I dip it in beaten egg and
> milk, then back into the flour.

That sounds great! I've just never done a soak with chicken before. I
was amazed by the tenderness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 15-Sep-2011, Cheryl > wrote:
>

>>I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
>>is good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it
>>often but I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the
>>chicken in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour
>>and seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to
>>make a batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack
>>until cool enough to eat.
>>
>>I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
>>it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned
>>out so flavorful and tender.

> My southern grandmother's recipe was: soak chicken in buttermilk for a few
> hours, dredge in seasoned flour and fry in cast iron skillet with lard or
> Crisco about one-third as deep as the the thickest piece of chicken.

Ummmm ....lard...that is important to tasty fried chicken, and i read
recently that non hydrogenated lard isn't all that bad for one.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:27:56 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I've just never done a soak with chicken before. I
> was amazed by the tenderness.

I don't see how chicken these days can be any more tender. If it was,
it would be mushy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 1:51 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:27:56 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> I've just never done a soak with chicken before. I
>> was amazed by the tenderness.

> I don't see how chicken these days can be any more tender. If it was,
> it would be mushy.

My guess is that soaking the chicken in buttermilk was a good idea to
tenderize and rid the chicken of a funky taste in the days before we had
chicken factories and water injection processing. If you're going to
kill a chicken for Sunday supper, it's probably still a good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
>I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure is
>good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often but
>I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the chicken in
>milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour and
>seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to make a
>batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack until cool
>enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and it
> soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned out so
> flavorful and tender.

I'm a southerner. Southern California that is.

Your technique is pretty classic and makes great chicken. I like to use
buttermilk instead and soak overnight. Then I liberally sprinkle the
chicken with a rub made from salt, paprika, ground red pepper, ground
oregano and ground thyme. Then let it sit for an hour or so. Then I dredge
into plain flour, into an egg/milk wash and then another dredge in the
flour. If I want less crust I go egg wash then flour then fry.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 6:26*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 1:40 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
> > I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it
> > sure is good. *Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make
> > it often but I really wanted to try it. *The recipe calls for soaking
> > the chicken in milk and beaten eggs for several hours. *Then coat with
> > flour and seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the
> > flour to make a batter dip. *Fry till done then drain on paper, then
> > on a rack until cool enough to eat.

> > I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs
> > and it soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. *Wow, it
> > turned out so flavorful and tender.

> If you liked it, then don't change a thing. *If I am cooking a whole
> chicken, I will soak it overnight in buttermilk and a tablespoon of
> salt. *When I am ready to cook the chicken, I toss the chicken in
> seasoned flour, and if I want it crispy, I dip it in beaten egg and
> milk, then back into the flour.
>
> Becca

I have never cooked Southern fried chicken. I love it too.
I bought some at the grocery store's deli section.
How do you know when the chicken is done? I sometimes
had some I bought and the chicken was still pink inside.
I'd like to try it sometimes.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

one of several valid ways, try same with buttermilk sometime, Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
>I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure is
>good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often but
>I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the chicken in
>milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour and
>seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to make a
>batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack until cool
>enough to eat.
>
> I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and it
> soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned out so
> flavorful and tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 7:05*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> .com...
>
> >I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure is
> >good. *Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often but
> >I really wanted to try it. *The recipe calls for soaking the chicken in
> >milk and beaten eggs for several hours. *Then coat with flour and
> >seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to make a
> >batter dip. *Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack until cool
> >enough to eat.

> > I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and it
> > soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. *Wow, it turned out so
> > flavorful and tender.

> I'm a southerner. *Southern California that is.
>
> Your technique is pretty classic and makes great chicken. *I like to use
> buttermilk instead and soak overnight. *Then I liberally sprinkle the
> chicken with a rub made from salt, paprika, ground red pepper, ground
> oregano and ground thyme. *Then let it sit for an hour or so. *Then I dredge
> into plain flour, into an egg/milk wash and then another dredge in the
> flour. *If I want less crust I go egg wash then flour then fry.
>
> Paul

I also read last week somewhere that it really needs to sit on a rack
and pretty much dry after coating and before frying - immediately
putting it into the hot oil is what makes the cripy coating separate
from the chicken. At least that's what this one chef said.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Sep 15, 7:05 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> .com...
>
> >I know you Southerners will tell me if this isn't authentic but it sure
> >is
> >good. Given that I want to cut out fried foods, I won't make it often but
> >I really wanted to try it. The recipe calls for soaking the chicken in
> >milk and beaten eggs for several hours. Then coat with flour and
> >seasonings, then dip back in the milk/eggs then back in the flour to make
> >batter dip. Fry till done then drain on paper, then on a rack until cool
> >enough to eat.

> > I had a frozen chicken breast so I put it frozen into the milk/eggs and
> > it
> > soaked for a total of about 2 days while it thawed. Wow, it turned out
> > so
> > flavorful and tender.

> I'm a southerner. Southern California that is.
>
> Your technique is pretty classic and makes great chicken. I like to use
> buttermilk instead and soak overnight. Then I liberally sprinkle the
> chicken with a rub made from salt, paprika, ground red pepper, ground
> oregano and ground thyme. Then let it sit for an hour or so. Then I dredge
> into plain flour, into an egg/milk wash and then another dredge in the
> flour. If I want less crust I go egg wash then flour then fry.
>
> Paul

I also read last week somewhere that it really needs to sit on a rack
and pretty much dry after coating and before frying - immediately
putting it into the hot oil is what makes the cripy coating separate
from the chicken. At least that's what this one chef said.

Yes, if you go wet dry. If you go dry, wet, dry, you don't have that
problem.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 10:44 PM, Lucille wrote:
> I have never cooked Southern fried chicken. I love it too.
> I bought some at the grocery store's deli section.
> How do you know when the chicken is done? I sometimes
> had some I bought and the chicken was still pink inside.
> I'd like to try it sometimes.

The best way is with a food thermometer, but you can also tell by
peircing the meat and if the juices run clear, it is done. I like to
stop the cooking a little before it's done because it will continue to
cook with the residual heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2011 12:09 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> I also read last week somewhere that it really needs to sit on a rack
> and pretty much dry after coating and before frying - immediately
> putting it into the hot oil is what makes the cripy coating separate
> from the chicken. At least that's what this one chef said.

That's a neat thought. I might try it again and let the batter dry
before frying next time. However, the coating didn't separate from the
chicken frying it wet.