Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hummus

I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.

Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 3, 11:09*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. *It is
> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain *a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Add a dice jalepeno and you're in business!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:09:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
>few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
>doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
>also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
>Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
>some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
>juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
>triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Here is a good addition to the hummus & pita. I had this for lunch
today including sliced tomato with it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tzatziki

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Yogurt, Skim Milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium cucumber -- peeled and chopped

Crush garlic with salt, add yogurt and mix until smooth.

Add olive oil and cucumber; mix well

Chill and serve cold. Us as a dip for vegetable or bread chunks.

"Garlic cucumber dip"
Cuisine:
"Greek"
Source:
"Culinary Gifts from the Greeks Newport News"
Yield:
"2 Cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 19 Calories; 1g Fat (42.1%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 79mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:09:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Next time you do it, try adding some roasted garlic to it. Major yum
factor!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2011 1:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/09/2011 3:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/3/2011 1:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
>> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
>> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
>> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>>
>> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
>> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
>> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
>> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

> My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
> to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
> it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
> had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

I have some chick peas around somewhere. Maybe the next time I make them
I will cook those instead of using the canned ones. I don`t know why it
took me so long to try making hummus, but you can bet that I will be
making a lot more of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it doesn't
> always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is also good,
> healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Double the garlic and lemon juice! Maybe a smidgen of cumin.

Once, out of tahini, I used a little toasted Asian sesame oil. That was
surprisingly good, although it no doubt brought down the wrath of the
hummus gods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/09/2011 3:53 PM, Hackmatack wrote:

> Double the garlic and lemon juice! Maybe a smidgen of cumin.
>
> Once, out of tahini, I used a little toasted Asian sesame oil. That was
> surprisingly good, although it no doubt brought down the wrath of the
> hummus gods.

Ah yes... the tahini. That`s one of the reasons I didn`t make it. I kept
forgetting to get that, and my wife has been doing most of the shopping
lately. I went out the other day specificially to get tahini and found
it at the Bulk Barn. On the way home I stopped at a discount grocery
store for the chick peas and lo and beyond, they had tahini. They
actually had three different brands of it. That surprised me because
they rarely have specialty items.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 3:53 PM, Hackmatack wrote:
>

>> Double the garlic and lemon juice! Maybe a smidgen of cumin.
>>
>> Once, out of tahini, I used a little toasted Asian sesame oil. That was
>> surprisingly good, although it no doubt brought down the wrath of the
>> hummus gods.

> Ah yes... the tahini. That`s one of the reasons I didn`t make it. I kept
> forgetting to get that, and my wife has been doing most of the shopping
> lately. I went out the other day specificially to get tahini and found
> it at the Bulk Barn. On the way home I stopped at a discount grocery
> store for the chick peas and lo and beyond, they had tahini. They
> actually had three different brands of it. That surprised me because
> they rarely have specialty items.

One of the first commercially available hummus brands in our area (this was
years ago) caused a mini-scandal when it was discovered their recipes used
no tahini at all. The lame excuse was that the American palate was not yet
ready for the sophisticated taste of tahini, etc., etc. A jumbo load of
rubbish. They redeemed themselves soon afterwards.

Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2011 3:53 PM, Hackmatack wrote:
> Dave > wrote:
>> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
>> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it doesn't
>> always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is also good,
>> healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>>
>> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
>> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
>> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
>> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

> Double the garlic and lemon juice! Maybe a smidgen of cumin.
>
> Once, out of tahini, I used a little toasted Asian sesame oil. That was
> surprisingly good, although it no doubt brought down the wrath of the
> hummus gods.

I eat a diet very restricted in grease so tahini is out for me but I
agree, 2 or 3 drops of toasted sesame oil vastly improve the flavor of
hummus and, as has been suggested, freshly roasted and ground cumin
helps too. I've mentioned this before but lime juice is good instead of
lemon.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Also good with raw vegetables like carrots and cucumbers. Much
healthier for some of us than sour cream or mayonnaise based dips.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article > ,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
>> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
>> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
>> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>>
>> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
>> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
>> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
>> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

> Also good with raw vegetables like carrots and cucumbers. Much
> healthier for some of us than sour cream or mayonnaise based dips.

Hummus is its own almighty food group!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-03, Dave Smith > wrote:
> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>
> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

Have you tried adding yogurt?

nb --diving for cover
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-09-03, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> I finally got around to making some the other day. After having hummus a
>> few times at a local middle eastern restaurant I realized that it
>> doesn't always taste like crap and can actually be really good. It is
>> also good, healthy food and cardiac diet approved.
>>
>> Drain a can of chickpeas and whizz them up in the food processor. Add
>> some of the reserved liquid, a couple cloves of crushed garlic, lemon
>> juice and some tahini. Whizz it up some more and serve with pita
>> triangles. Cheap, easy and delicious.

> Have you tried adding yogurt?
>
> nb --diving for cover

Anything dairy in hummus? The hummus gods are very very angry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2011 4:16 PM, Hackmatack wrote:

> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

I buy it at a Middle Eastern market. High turnover so it is always fresh
and a plain glass quart jar is like $7.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
> to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
> it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
> had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
the intent of making hummus with them.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 20:16:41 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

Fortunately, I can buy "bulk" tahini so I'm not at the mercy of the
prices they put on those jars. If I had to buy it by the jar, I'd
never make hummus.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 20:16:41 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> > wrote:
>
>> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
>> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
>> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
>> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

> Fortunately, I can buy "bulk" tahini so I'm not at the mercy of the
> prices they put on those jars. If I had to buy it by the jar, I'd
> never make hummus.

Well, I find a peanut-butter-sized jar of tahini is enough for many hummus
batches, since I tend to use it sparingly (a couple of large tablespoons
for the equivalent of 2 15oz cans of chickpeas, although I usually use
dried). The main problem I have with buying much more at a time is
refrigerator storage -- it does tend to go rancid otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/09/2011 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
>> to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
>> it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
>> had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

> Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
> the intent of making hummus with them.

Go for it. Get up right now and make a batch. It shouldn't take much
more than a minute. It's like mayonnaise. It will take longer to clean
the food processor than it did to make it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
>>> to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
>>> it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
>>> had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

>> Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
>> the intent of making hummus with them.
>>

> Go for it. Get up right now and make a batch. It shouldn't take much more
> than a minute. It's like mayonnaise. It will take longer to clean the
> food processor than it did to make it.

Not if you cook up your chickpeas from dried, wnich will involve overnight
soaking and an hour or a few cooking. I'm agnostic about canned vs. dried.
I think it's possible to get really superior results from cooking your own
-- complete control over flavor, salt content, etc., although the end
texture will be different -- but hummus is so good and good for you that
canned is a completely justified shortcut.

A nice by-product of boiling your own chickpeas is to add to the cooking
water a roughly chopped onion, a few garlic cloves, a garni of parsley,
peppercorns, maybe some coriander seeds, a bay leaf or two, and whatever
else strikes your fancy. After the chickpeas are cooked, this makes a
really superior soup stock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:10:12 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 9/3/2011 4:16 PM, Hackmatack wrote:
>

> > Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
> > other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
> > section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
> > Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

> I buy it at a Middle Eastern market. High turnover so it is always fresh
> and a plain glass quart jar is like $7.

That's too much in terms of quantity and more than I want to pay.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 22:25:42 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> The main problem I have with buying much more at a time is
> refrigerator storage -- it does tend to go rancid otherwise.

I'd rather buy it when I need it and not in vast quantities.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/09/2011 6:14 PM, sf wrote:

>> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
>> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
>> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
>> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

> Fortunately, I can buy "bulk" tahini so I'm not at the mercy of the
> prices they put on those jars. If I had to buy it by the jar, I'd
> never make hummus.

I had been looking for it for some time but without luck, but a google
search revealed that it was available at Bulk Barn. Since it was my
first try I only bought a small container about half full. On my way
home I stopped at a bargain grocery store and found it on an aisle where
I would not have expected it, and they had several brands. I think it is
cheaper to buy a jar of it. I plan to be using a lot more of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 6:14 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
>>> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
>>> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
>>> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

>> Fortunately, I can buy "bulk" tahini so I'm not at the mercy of the
>> prices they put on those jars. If I had to buy it by the jar, I'd
>> never make hummus.
>>

> I had been looking for it for some time but without luck, but a google
> search revealed that it was available at Bulk Barn. Since it was my first
> try I only bought a small container about half full. On my way home I
> stopped at a bargain grocery store and found it on an aisle where I would
> not have expected it, and they had several brands. I think it is cheaper
> to buy a jar of it. I plan to be using a lot more of it.

Do store it in the refrigerater. An unrefrigerated open container seems to
go rancid more quickly than something similar like peanut butter, at least
in my experience. It can harden up in the fridge, and require a bit of
stirring to mix it up when using, but at least it won't completely embitter
a batch of hummus because it's turned the corner into rancidness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2011 6:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My Israeli cousin told me to rinse the canned chickpeas then bring them
>>> to a boil in fresh water. Drain, cool and make hummas as usual. I gave
>>> it a try and it really does give it a better flavor. Much more like I
>>> had soaked and cooked the chickpeas myself.

>> Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
>> the intent of making hummus with them.
>>

> Go for it. Get up right now and make a batch. It shouldn't take much
> more than a minute. It's like mayonnaise. It will take longer to clean
> the food processor than it did to make it.

I have been using a good stick blender for a while. I put everything
into the container that will be going into the fridge and process with
the blender. It is a lot easier to clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2011 7:21 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:10:12 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2011 4:16 PM, Hackmatack wrote:
>>

>>> Finding tahini in the market can be the challenge: in with the peanut and
>>> other butters? In the organic section only? In the "Mediteranean foods"
>>> section? In different markets I've found it in the Oriental aisle, the
>>> Mexican aisle, and in with the jams and jellies. Sheesh.

>> I buy it at a Middle Eastern market. High turnover so it is always fresh
>> and a plain glass quart jar is like $7.

> That's too much in terms of quantity and more than I want to pay.

Depends on how often you make hummus.. A quart doesn't last long.

I just looked at the last jar and it was $4.89. I thought it was $7 for
some reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-09-03, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I had been looking for it for some time but without luck.....

Every health food store on the planet carries tahini. It may be a bit
more expensive, but more expensive than what? Gasoline expended
driving/looking for it? Shipping from online orders?. Call yer local
health food store, ferchrysakes. I'm in the freakin' boonies, yet all
4 (honest!) local health food stores carry it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 20:17:27 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 9/3/2011 6:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 03/09/2011 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
> >> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder

> >> Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
> >> the intent of making hummus with them.
> >>

> > Go for it. Get up right now and make a batch. It shouldn't take much
> > more than a minute. It's like mayonnaise. It will take longer to clean
> > the food processor than it did to make it.
> >

> I have been using a good stick blender for a while. I put everything
> into the container that will be going into the fridge and process with
> the blender. It is a lot easier to clean.

I don't know what people do to take so long to clean a regular FP.
It's very easy for me to clean and not worth the time and bother of
getting out, cleaning a separate bowl plus stick blender and then
putting them away again.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 20:22:25 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 9/3/2011 7:21 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:10:12 -0400, >
> > wrote:

> >> I buy it at a Middle Eastern market. High turnover so it is always fresh
> >> and a plain glass quart jar is like $7.

> > That's too much in terms of quantity and more than I want to pay.
> >

> Depends on how often you make hummus.. A quart doesn't last long.

Not as often as I buy it. Once to be exact.

> I just looked at the last jar and it was $4.89. I thought it was $7 for
> some reason.

That's because most of them *are* $7. I've looked.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 19:50:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I think it is
> cheaper to buy a jar of it. I plan to be using a lot more of it.

Maybe, but I don't use it often enough to make it worth throwing out
what went rancid on me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2011 1:52 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 20:22:25 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2011 7:21 PM, sf wrote:

>>> That's too much in terms of quantity and more than I want to pay.
>>>

>> Depends on how often you make hummus.. A quart doesn't last long.
>>

> Not as often as I buy it. Once to be exact.
>
>> I just looked at the last jar and it was $4.89. I thought it was $7 for
>> some reason.

> That's because most of them *are* $7. I've looked.

So you would rather buy 1/4 as much in a little jar for the same price?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 08:42:07 -0400, George >
wrote:

> So you would rather buy 1/4 as much in a little jar for the same price?

No. I'd rather buy 1/4 as much (or less) of ultra fresh tahini from
the bulk bin and I don't mind paying a little more per pound for it.
But if jars were the only choice, then yes. In the end it's more
economical to use if I'm going to throw out most of the other jar
because it wasn't used up before it went rancid.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 20:17:27 -0400, George wrote:

> On 9/3/2011 6:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 03/09/2011 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:23:36 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> Good to know, thanks! I have a can of garbanzos in the cupboard and
>>> the intent of making hummus with them.
>>>

>> Go for it. Get up right now and make a batch. It shouldn't take much
>> more than a minute. It's like mayonnaise. It will take longer to clean
>> the food processor than it did to make it.
>>

> I have been using a good stick blender for a while. I put everything
> into the container that will be going into the fridge and process with
> the blender. It is a lot easier to clean.

i was wondering about using a stick blender. thanks.

your pal,
blake