Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of dessert can you make using tomatoes?

At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
like jello.

thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 18:05:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.

I googled "dessert recipes +tomato" and boy was I surprised! This hit
has several recipes (they start on page 3)
http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-08-0...-dessert-umami

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I guess that's just how I am.

Aspic is not a dessert. I've never had one that was the least sweet.
It uses gelatin like Jello, but the resemblance ends with the texture.
Furthermore, most kids I've met (like me) hated aspic. It wasn't until
I was an adult that I developed a taste for it.

I'm not a big fan of desserts anyway, and they don't fit that well into
my diet. I'm not alone in that. Even if all your students are lean and
trim (pretty unlikely), at least some of the adults might like an
alternative. I like a nice tomato salad, especially if made with garden
tomatoes. I don't have a recipe, but we use chopped tomatoes, cucumbers
and onions with an oil and vinegar dressing.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" > wrote:

> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

tomato sorbet or granita
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.

Here are two different interesting recipes for tomato jam, one for the
Portuguese "doce de tomate", which calls for canning, and the other for
just "tomato jam", which is not canned and needs to be refrigerated.

Victor

<http://andreasrecipes.com/2009/08/18/tomato-jam-doce-de-tomate/>

TOMATO JAM (DOCE DE TOMATE)
Adapted from The New Portuguese Table, by David Leite.
Makes 2 (8-ounce) jars.

Equipment
4-quart saucepan
2 (8-ounce) glass canning jars with new lids and bands (When canning
jam, I always add one 4 ounce jar + lid + band as
back up for any extra. It's just a thing I do, but I almost always need
the extra.)
canning pot with rack
small bowl
lid wand
jar lifter or tongs
plastic spatula
wide-mouth funnel

Ingredients
2-1/2 pounds (1.13 kg) very ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2-1/4 cups (394 g) granulated sugar
1-inch piece of cinnamon stick
4 (3-inch/7.6 cm) strips of lemon zest, remove with a vegetable peeler
2 whole cloves
1/4 cup (60 ml) ruby port

Preparation
1. Combine the tomatoes and any accumulated juice, the sugar, cinnamon,
zest, cloves, and port in the 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over
high heat, skimming any foam that accumulates on top. Lower heat to
medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally. As the jam thickens, stir
more frequently, at least 1 hour.

2. Test the jam to see if it's ready to can. Put a small plate in the
freezer for about 10 minutes, then dollop a spoonful of jam on top and
put in the refrigerator for 2 minutes. It it gels, you are ready to can.

3. While the jam cooks, sterilize the jars, rings, and lids. In the
canning pot, add enough water to cover the canning jars by at least 2
inches. Bring to a boil and immerse the jars and the metal bands. Ladle
some of the boiling water into a small bowl and put the lids in to
soften the rubber.

4. When the jam is ready, remove from heat and discard the cinnamon
stick, cloves, and lemon zest.

5. Using the jar lifter or tongs, remove the jars from the water,
keeping the water boiling. Using the wide-mouth funnel, ladle the hot
jam into the jars and leave 1/4-inch (6 mm) headroom. Wipe the rims
clean with a wet cloth, place the lids on top, and screw on the bands
until finger tight (not too tight).

6. Lower the jars into the pot and make sure they are covered by at
least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water. Once the water returns to a boil,
process for 5 minutes. Transfer the jars to a heat resistant surface (I
use an old cutting board) and let cool completely.

7. Listen for the "pop" to indicate the jars have sealed and check the
lids to make sure they're depressed. If the jar did not seal, keep it in
the refrigerator and eat within 2 weeks. Properly processed jam will
store for up to 1 year in a cool, dark place. Refrigerate after opening.

Variations
You can use dry pectin to speed up the setting process, though the
flavor will change somewhat because it only cooks for a few minutes
instead of an hour. Add the dry pectin in Step 1 and bring to a full
rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add the sugar, stir,
and bring back to a hard boil. Boil it hard for 1 minute. Skim off the
foam and proceed with canning.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/dining/201mrex.html>

Tomato Jam

1 1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely
chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper
flakes or cayenne to taste.

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil
over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has
consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to
use; this will keep at least a week.

Yield: About 1 pint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 20:57:52 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of desserts anyway, and they don't fit that well into
> my diet. I'm not alone in that. Even if all your students are lean and
> trim (pretty unlikely), at least some of the adults might like an
> alternative. I like a nice tomato salad, especially if made with garden
> tomatoes. I don't have a recipe, but we use chopped tomatoes, cucumbers
> and onions with an oil and vinegar dressing.

Salsa and chips would be nice too.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.

Tomato cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 1, 6:05*pm, " >
wrote:
> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

How about juicing and straining the tomato juice and using it with
heavy cream, etc. to make ice cream?
I might even candy some bacon and chop it up and throw it in there
when the ice cream is finishing.

I bet that would be quite tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:15:43 -0400, "news" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> > for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> > over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> > recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> > like jello.

> Tomato cake.

The article I posted mentioned chocolate cake with tomato (they didn't
make it), do you have a recipe for that?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, news wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
>> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
>> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
>> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
>> like jello.

> Tomato cake.

Didn't that use tomato soup?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

news wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>>At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
>>for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
>>over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
>>recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
>>like jello.

> Tomato cake.

I don't recall the details, i can look it up if you are interested but i
have heard of a poached tomato served with vanilla ice cream.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:15:43 -0400, "news" > wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> > At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
>> > for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
>> > over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
>> > recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
>> > like jello.

>> Tomato cake.
>>

> The article I posted mentioned chocolate cake with tomato (they didn't
> make it), do you have a recipe for that?

I'll have to look in the actual cookbook when I get home!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 12:05*pm, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 9/2/2011 11:15 AM, news wrote:> > *wrote in message
> >> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> >> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> >> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> >> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> >> like jello.

> > Tomato cake.

> Didn't that use tomato soup?
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

Aspic is usually savory. Usually. It's chocolate cake that can use
canned tomato soup - I've never made it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
>> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
>> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
>> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
>> like jello.
>>

> I googled "dessert recipes +tomato" and boy was I surprised! This hit
> has several recipes (they start on page 3)
> http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-08-0...-dessert-umami

The closest I've come to that was a "drifting toward dessert" course
featuring tomatoes which had been semi-dried with honey and spices, served
with whipped brie. That was part of my "upscale barbecue" dinner earlier
this year.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 19:58:37 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> The closest I've come to that was a "drifting toward dessert" course
> featuring tomatoes which had been semi-dried with honey and spices, served
> with whipped brie. That was part of my "upscale barbecue" dinner earlier
> this year.

How did the whipped brie turn out? I'd have guessed that the cream
cheese would dilute the brie flavor too much... but maybe I'd have
been wrong.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> The closest I've come to that was a "drifting toward dessert" course
>> featuring tomatoes which had been semi-dried with honey and spices,
>> served with whipped brie. That was part of my "upscale barbecue" dinner
>> earlier this year.

> How did the whipped brie turn out? I'd have guessed that the cream
> cheese would dilute the brie flavor too much... but maybe I'd have
> been wrong.

What cream cheese? This was just brie (with the rind cut off) put into a
mixer and whipped until fluffy. It was light and delicate, but definitely
brie-flavored. The idea comes from a recipe in _The French Laundry
Cookbook_.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:50:48 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> The closest I've come to that was a "drifting toward dessert" course
> >> featuring tomatoes which had been semi-dried with honey and spices,
> >> served with whipped brie. That was part of my "upscale barbecue" dinner
> >> earlier this year.

> > How did the whipped brie turn out? I'd have guessed that the cream
> > cheese would dilute the brie flavor too much... but maybe I'd have
> > been wrong.

> What cream cheese? This was just brie (with the rind cut off) put into a
> mixer and whipped until fluffy. It was light and delicate, but definitely
> brie-flavored. The idea comes from a recipe in _The French Laundry
> Cookbook_.

Oh okay. I looked at a recipe and it called for cream cheese to be
whipped with the brie. Did you use a triple or double cream brie?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> How did the whipped brie turn out? I'd have guessed that the cream
>>> cheese would dilute the brie flavor too much... but maybe I'd have
>>> been wrong.

>> What cream cheese? This was just brie (with the rind cut off) put into a
>> mixer and whipped until fluffy. It was light and delicate, but definitely
>> brie-flavored. The idea comes from a recipe in _The French Laundry
>> Cookbook_.
>>

> Oh okay. I looked at a recipe and it called for cream cheese to be
> whipped with the brie. Did you use a triple or double cream brie?

IIRC I couldn't find a triple-cream brie when I was shopping for that meal,
so I think I used a double-cream.

Bob

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
like jello.

thanks

Tom
Caramelized Tomato Dessert

Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
3 medium pears
3 tablespoons slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
2 pieces star anise
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 orange, juiced
2 1/2 cups orange juice

Preparation
1
Mix water and sugar in a large skillet. Place over medium heat and allow to simmer.
2
Slice 1/2" off the top of each tomato. Carefully, scoop out the interior of each tomato, placing the flesh into a strainer over a bowl. Leave the outer walls of the tomatoes intact. Press the tomato pulp through the strainer with the back of a spoon.
3
Peel pears and dice very small. Add almonds and cinnamon.
4
Split vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and add to the pears; place the now-empty vanilla pod into the cooking caramel with the star anise.
5
Add orange and lemon zests to pears. Add juice of 1/2 orange, and the tomato liquid to pears.
6
When caramel is brown and thick, remove from heat and add 2 1/2 c orange juice. Return to heat and allow to simmer until caramel dissolves into orange juice. Remove vanilla bean pod and star anise pods and discard.
7
Stuff tomato shells with pears. Pack tightly and allow to overflow a little. Spoon a little caramel sauce into each tomato. Top with reserved tomato slices.
8
Pour a little caramel sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish. Place tomatoes in dish and pour remaining sauce over. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 10 minutes. Baste with caramel sauce and cook another 15 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 1, 6:05*pm, " >
wrote:
> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

So.....we never heard back from you. Did you make a tomato
dessert? How did it come out.?
What did you make?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 9:06*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

> tomato sorbet or granita

The only good suggestion. A granita sounds excellent.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 9:05*pm, " >
wrote:
> At the school where I work there are planning to have dessert party
> for the students. Faculty are suppose to bring a dessert. Since I am
> over run by tomatoes in my garden, I was wondering if anyone has a
> recipe for a dessert using tomatoes. Someone mentioned aspict which is
> like jello.
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

there was an article in bon appetit about a year ago about an all-
tomato meal. iron chef kinda thing. they ded a tomato tarte tatin. I'm
suyre you could find the recipe on epicurious. it looked delicious.

www.epicurious.com