Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another boring anniversary accomplishment.

"Andy" wrote in message ...
OT: Another boring anniversary accomplishment.

Since 10:00am, September 1st, 2004, my seventh year of giving up smoking
has come true.

An equation of my own devise estimates I've saved $20k in that time span.
Never once faltered.

I'll never forget, it was on Wednesday, watching morning news, in my La-Z-
Boy when I snuffed out my last cigarette. I glanced at the wall clock and
marked the time.

So, I'm so again proud to announce x7 I won!!!

Andy

Congrats - it Ain't no easy task. My last was 5-6-2001 3:30 PM as they took
me to the hospital with a soon to be paralyzed left side. (stroke)

IMHO it gets easier but never goes away completely.

If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk quit
meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

Dimitri

Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Congrats to both of you. I'm here and very happy.

Cheri

One year, nine months, five days, 26 minutes and 44 seconds. 19260
cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,304.56. Life saved: 9 weeks, 3 days, 21
hours, 0 minutes.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Dimitri" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Good for you - keep it up.

Dimitri

Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" ha scritto nel messaggio
If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

I did.
Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in message

"Dimitri" ha scritto nel messaggio
If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

I did.
Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

I quit 38 years ago, no idea how many weeks, minutes etc. When a medic asks
my details I still have to say I used to be a smoker

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:00:42 +0200, "Giusi" wrote:

"Dimitri" ha scritto nel messaggio
If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

I did.
Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

How do you people remember the *hour*-- let alone the day, or month or
year? I know *where* I was when I quit. [ER with chest pain]

But until my cardiologist said yesterday 'You're 10 years past your
heart attack' - I would have thought the whole deal was 5-6 years
ago.

I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
& I don't fight it anymore.

Jim
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:32:19 -0500, Andy wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
& I don't fight it anymore.

I knew a day ahead that i was going to give up smoking.

I knew when I ran out of smokes, that would be the end.

The exact time was just merely a wondrous moment in my life, not
important to anyone else.

That it was exactly 10:00am when I put out my last cigarette and glanced
at the wall clock at that instant was what made it a memorable moment in
time for me.

Something I can never forget!

A life-list event, in a sense.

I'm not prohibitive of guests smoking in my house. It's not as if I
haven't been there before!!!

Andy

there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
stinks.
Janet US
Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

-snip-
there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
stinks.
Janet US

Nothing like a dog to drive the incorrigibles outside.g My wife
didn't mind subjecting the kids and I [after I quit]-- and she
continues to smoke despite a cancer diagnosis and a mother with COPD.
[and watching a friend die with COPD a few years ago]

But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.

Jim
Old 02-09-2011, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Janet Bostwick wrote:

-snip-
there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
stinks.
Janet US

Nothing like a dog to drive the incorrigibles outside.g My wife
didn't mind subjecting the kids and I [after I quit]-- and she
continues to smoke despite a cancer diagnosis and a mother with COPD.
[and watching a friend die with COPD a few years ago]

But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.

Jim

I quit 11 years ago when we went camping for a week. I had always refused to
smoke in front of the children and after a week of not smoking (no privacy
while camping lol), I figured why start again?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
& I don't fight it anymore.

I knew a day ahead that i was going to give up smoking.

I knew when I ran out of smokes, that would be the end.

The exact time was just merely a wondrous moment in my life, not
important to anyone else.

then why in the **** are you posting about it here?

blake

Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:48:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:
snip

But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.

Jim

Excellent incentive. I understand ;o)
Janet US
Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:21:39 -0400, "news" wrote:

snip
I quit 11 years ago when we went camping for a week. I had always refused to
smoke in front of the children and after a week of not smoking (no privacy
while camping lol), I figured why start again?

Been there too. Good reason.
Janet US
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/09/2011 9:01 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
stinks.

I had quit for a long time and then picked it up again, stopped for a
few years, smoked for two more years and then quit. Our provincial
government introduced a harmonized sales tax and added about 70 cents to
a pack of cigarettes. That came into effect July 1 last year. I had been
planning to quit but that did the trick for me. I refused to buy any
more at the higher price and have not had a cigarette since.

At first, I didn't mind if my brother's smoked in my house when they
visited but I had to ask them not to after I had my heart surgery. I
could not risk having to cough because it hurts so much. The brother
who visits most often is quitting.

I have to admit that if I could smoke like my oldest brother there would
have been no need to quit. He smokes one or two cigarettes a day,
sometimes none.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" ha scritto nel messaggio
How do you people remember the *hour*-- let alone the day, or month or
year? I know *where* I was when I quit. [ER with chest pain]

I don't, but I wouldn't count being asleep as part of the quitting, and I am
always up by seven, so I said 7 AM. Might have been 5:30 or whenever.