Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another boring anniversary accomplishment.

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> OT: Another boring anniversary accomplishment.
>
> Since 10:00am, September 1st, 2004, my seventh year of giving up smoking
> has come true.
>
> An equation of my own devise estimates I've saved $20k in that time span.
> Never once faltered.
>
> I'll never forget, it was on Wednesday, watching morning news, in my La-Z-
> Boy when I snuffed out my last cigarette. I glanced at the wall clock and
> marked the time.
>
> So, I'm so again proud to announce x7 I won!!!
>
> Andy

Congrats - it Ain't no easy task. My last was 5-6-2001 3:30 PM as they took
me to the hospital with a soon to be paralyzed left side. (stroke)

IMHO it gets easier but never goes away completely.

If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk quit
meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> OT: Another boring anniversary accomplishment.
>>
>> Since 10:00am, September 1st, 2004, my seventh year of giving up smoking
>> has come true.
>>
>> An equation of my own devise estimates I've saved $20k in that time span.
>> Never once faltered.
>>
>> I'll never forget, it was on Wednesday, watching morning news, in my
>> La-Z-
>> Boy when I snuffed out my last cigarette. I glanced at the wall clock and
>> marked the time.
>>
>> So, I'm so again proud to announce x7 I won!!!
>>
>> Andy

> Congrats - it Ain't no easy task. My last was 5-6-2001 3:30 PM as they
> took me to the hospital with a soon to be paralyzed left side. (stroke)
>
> IMHO it gets easier but never goes away completely.
>
> If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
> quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx
>
> Dimitri

Congrats to both of you. I'm here and very happy.

Cheri

One year, nine months, five days, 26 minutes and 44 seconds. 19260
cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,304.56. Life saved: 9 weeks, 3 days, 21
hours, 0 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> OT: Another boring anniversary accomplishment.
>>>
>>> Since 10:00am, September 1st, 2004, my seventh year of giving up smoking
>>> has come true.
>>>
>>> An equation of my own devise estimates I've saved $20k in that time
>>> span.
>>> Never once faltered.
>>>
>>> I'll never forget, it was on Wednesday, watching morning news, in my
>>> La-Z-
>>> Boy when I snuffed out my last cigarette. I glanced at the wall clock
>>> and
>>> marked the time.
>>>
>>> So, I'm so again proud to announce x7 I won!!!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Congrats - it Ain't no easy task. My last was 5-6-2001 3:30 PM as they
>> took me to the hospital with a soon to be paralyzed left side. (stroke)
>>
>> IMHO it gets easier but never goes away completely.
>>
>> If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
>> quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx
>>
>> Dimitri

> Congrats to both of you. I'm here and very happy.
>
> Cheri
>
> One year, nine months, five days, 26 minutes and 44 seconds. 19260
> cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,304.56. Life saved: 9 weeks, 3 days, 21
> hours, 0 minutes

Good for you - keep it up.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
> quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

I did.
Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
>> quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

> I did.
> Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
> 39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
> days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

I quit 38 years ago, no idea how many weeks, minutes etc. When a medic asks
my details I still have to say I used to be a smoker

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:00:42 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

>"Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> If you want to know exactly how much you have saved - download the silk
>> quit meter. http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

>I did.
>Three years, seven months, two weeks, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds.
>39666 cigarettes not smoked, saving $12,395.31. Life saved: 19 weeks, 4
>days, 17 hours, 30 minutes.

How do you people remember the *hour*-- let alone the day, or month or
year? I know *where* I was when I quit. [ER with chest pain]

But until my cardiologist said yesterday 'You're 10 years past your
heart attack' - I would have thought the whole deal was 5-6 years
ago.

I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
& I don't fight it anymore.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:32:19 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
>> & I don't fight it anymore.

>I knew a day ahead that i was going to give up smoking.
>
>I knew when I ran out of smokes, that would be the end.
>
>The exact time was just merely a wondrous moment in my life, not
>important to anyone else.
>
>That it was exactly 10:00am when I put out my last cigarette and glanced
>at the wall clock at that instant was what made it a memorable moment in
>time for me.
>
>Something I can never forget!
>
>A life-list event, in a sense.
>
>I'm not prohibitive of guests smoking in my house. It's not as if I
>haven't been there before!!!
>
>Andy

there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
stinks.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:

-snip-
>there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
>tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
>husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
>the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
>stinks.
>Janet US

Nothing like a dog to drive the incorrigibles outside.<g> My wife
didn't mind subjecting the kids and I [after I quit]-- and she
continues to smoke despite a cancer diagnosis and a mother with COPD.
[and watching a friend die with COPD a few years ago]

But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>>there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
>>tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
>>husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
>>the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
>>stinks.
>>Janet US

> Nothing like a dog to drive the incorrigibles outside.<g> My wife
> didn't mind subjecting the kids and I [after I quit]-- and she
> continues to smoke despite a cancer diagnosis and a mother with COPD.
> [and watching a friend die with COPD a few years ago]
>
> But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
> within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.
>
> Jim

I quit 11 years ago when we went camping for a week. I had always refused to
smoke in front of the children and after a week of not smoking (no privacy
while camping lol), I figured why start again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 07:32:19 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> I guess I just don't pay a lot of attention to time. My memory sucks
>> & I don't fight it anymore.

> I knew a day ahead that i was going to give up smoking.
>
> I knew when I ran out of smokes, that would be the end.
>
> The exact time was just merely a wondrous moment in my life, not
> important to anyone else.

then why in the **** are you posting about it here?

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:48:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:
snip

>But one word from the vet and she smokes outside and won't let the pug
>within 10 feet of her when she's smoking.
>
>Jim

Excellent incentive. I understand ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:21:39 -0400, "news" > wrote:

snip
>I quit 11 years ago when we went camping for a week. I had always refused to
>smoke in front of the children and after a week of not smoking (no privacy
>while camping lol), I figured why start again?

Been there too. Good reason.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/09/2011 9:01 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> there's been no smoking in my house for at least 15 years since I
> tried once before to stop. (this time is for real, I can tell). My
> husband has to smoke out on the deck in whatever weather. At least
> the dog isn't subjected to second-hand smoke and the house no longer
> stinks.

I had quit for a long time and then picked it up again, stopped for a
few years, smoked for two more years and then quit. Our provincial
government introduced a harmonized sales tax and added about 70 cents to
a pack of cigarettes. That came into effect July 1 last year. I had been
planning to quit but that did the trick for me. I refused to buy any
more at the higher price and have not had a cigarette since.

At first, I didn't mind if my brother's smoked in my house when they
visited but I had to ask them not to after I had my heart surgery. I
could not risk having to cough because it hurts so much. The brother
who visits most often is quitting.

I have to admit that if I could smoke like my oldest brother there would
have been no need to quit. He smokes one or two cigarettes a day,
sometimes none.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> How do you people remember the *hour*-- let alone the day, or month or
> year? I know *where* I was when I quit. [ER with chest pain]

I don't, but I wouldn't count being asleep as part of the quitting, and I am
always up by seven, so I said 7 AM. Might have been 5:30 or whenever.