Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default avocado

What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

3 for $1? 25 cents apiece? And you dare to complain!

Around here (US northeast) you'd be lucky to find a good one for $2 or
more, more like $2.99. They seem in adequate supply last time I checked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 3:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

I just bought 2 smallish avocados. They were $1.00 each. I didn't
want to do it, but they are good for the health.

> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/1/2011 2:45 PM, sf wrote:

> What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

For a while now, the local Aldi's has been charging $1.49/ea for
avocados. The prices for avocados at regular grocery stores are much
higher! Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
if not a little bit less.

I was a bit astounded that a gallon of mile at Aldi was $2.78; it had
been $2.59/gal. About a week ago, I paid $2.99 at the other grocery
store.

Also, I was rather shocked to notice the $0.69/2-litre bottle of
'sparking water' at Meijer had gone up to $0.88/2-liter ( It seems
the prices of _everything_ at the grocery stores have increase all
across the board(s)!

Sky, who's making do with less (big sigh)

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 12:51*pm, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> On Sep 1, 3:45*pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> I just bought 2 smallish avocados. *They were $1.00 each. *I didn't
> want to do it, but they are good for the health.
>

> > --
> > I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

i bought two the other day here in the NW at a Safeway and they were
$1.69...sorta between small and medium. the had nice large ones for
$2.49.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 1:00*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 2:45 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> For a while now, the local Aldi's has been charging $1.49/ea for
> avocados. *The prices for avocados at regular grocery stores are much
> higher! *Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
> if not a little bit less.
>
> I was a bit astounded that a gallon of mile at Aldi was $2.78; it had
> been $2.59/gal. *About a week ago, I paid $2.99 at the other grocery
> store.
>
> Also, I was rather shocked to notice the $0.69/2-litre bottle of
> 'sparking water' at Meijer had gone up to $0.88/2-liter ( *It seems
> the prices of _everything_ at the grocery stores have increase all
> across the board(s)!
>
> Sky, who's making do with less (big sigh)
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

What's a gallon of mile taste like?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 19:50:50 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> 3 for $1? 25 cents apiece? And you dare to complain!

You misread, I said I should be complaining that they're 3 for $1
instead of 4 for $1.

> Around here (US northeast) you'd be lucky to find a good one for $2 or
> more, more like $2.99. They seem in adequate supply last time I checked.

Is that a normal price for you every summer? If that's a normal
summer price for you, what do they cost in the winter?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 3:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> > What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> I just bought 2 smallish avocados. They were $1.00 each. I didn't
> want to do it, but they are good for the health.

You're in Canada? Do you know where they're coming from?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:00:14 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
> if not a little bit less

Avocados haven't been under a dollar here for over a year!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:11:58 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>

> > What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> We used to make it rain avocados in our backyard.

Those avocados were free!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:12:43 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> Drought.

Is that it? Thanks!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 19:50:50 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack

> You misread, I said I should be complaining that they're 3 for $1
> instead of 4 for $1.

> Is that a normal price for you every summer? If that's a normal
> summer price for you, what do they cost in the winter?

Oh, I didn't misread, you smug left-coaster! We here on the
avocado-challenged side of the country wouldn't mind your complaint of 3/$
one bit.

One can find avocados (California Haas) at big markets here for about 3 for
$2 sometimes, but they are small, and tend to spoil before ripening -- not
a good deal. The better ones from good produce markets cost what I
mentioned. Their price fluctuates mysteriously, at least it doesn't seem to
be seasonal (the big spike over last year was probably due to fuel and
transportation costs). What I know of California avocado production seems
to indicate a steady year-round harvest, so maybe the fluctuations are
weather related.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:30:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:00:14 -0500, Sky >
>wrote:
>
>> Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
>> if not a little bit less

>Avocados haven't been under a dollar here for over a year!

I don't think I've seen an avocado around here for under a dollar in
years and years. Costco is the best deal. Really large ones , nice
looking and still around $6 for a bag of -- maybe 5? At Albertsons
you have to take out a loan to buy one.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:29:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:30:37 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:00:14 -0500, Sky >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
> >> if not a little bit less

> >Avocados haven't been under a dollar here for over a year!

> I don't think I've seen an avocado around here for under a dollar in
> years and years. Costco is the best deal. Really large ones , nice
> looking and still around $6 for a bag of -- maybe 5? At Albertsons
> you have to take out a loan to buy one.

We don't go to CostCo much very anymore now that it's just the two of
us. I should go and look at their avocados. Thanks for the tip.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/1/2011 3:13 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Sep 1, 1:00 pm, > wrote:
>> On 9/1/2011 2:45 PM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
>>> complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
>>> for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
>>> market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
>>> avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

>> For a while now, the local Aldi's has been charging $1.49/ea for
>> avocados. The prices for avocados at regular grocery stores are much
>> higher! Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
>> if not a little bit less.
>>
>> I was a bit astounded that a gallon of mile at Aldi was $2.78; it had
>> been $2.59/gal. About a week ago, I paid $2.99 at the other grocery
>> store.
>>
>> Also, I was rather shocked to notice the $0.69/2-litre bottle of
>> 'sparking water' at Meijer had gone up to $0.88/2-liter ( It seems
>> the prices of _everything_ at the grocery stores have increase all
>> across the board(s)!
>>
>> Sky, who's making do with less (big sigh)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> What's a gallon of mile taste like?

OOOPs - call it a typo ;> Milk (as if you couldn't figure it out by the
context)!, and I meant to type "sparkling" water, too - aka soda water.
Oh well

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 3:58*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 3:13 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> For a while now, the local Aldi's has been charging $1.49/ea for
> >> avocados. *The prices for avocados at regular grocery stores are much
> >> higher! *Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
> >> if not a little bit less.

> >> I was a bit astounded that a gallon of mile at Aldi was $2.78; it had
> >> been $2.59/gal. *About a week ago, I paid $2.99 at the other grocery
> >> store.

> >> Also, I was rather shocked to notice the $0.69/2-litre bottle of
> >> 'sparking water' at Meijer had gone up to $0.88/2-liter ( *It seems
> >> the prices of _everything_ at the grocery stores have increase all
> >> across the board(s)!

> >> Sky, who's making do with less (big sigh)

> >> --

> >> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> >> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> > What's a gallon of mile taste like?

> OOOPs - call it a typo ;> *Milk (as if you couldn't figure it out by the
> context)!, *and I meant to type "sparkling" water, too - aka soda water..
> * Oh well
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/09/2011 3:45 PM, sf wrote:

> What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

Welcome to my world. Avocados have been at least $1 each here for a
long time, usually closer to $1.50. You get to choose from either a
bunch of rock hard avocados or from a bunch of soft mushy avocados that
are ripe beyond making guacamole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:50:26 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:29:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:30:37 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Avocados haven't been under a dollar here for over a year!

>> I don't think I've seen an avocado around here for under a dollar in
>> years and years. Costco is the best deal. Really large ones , nice
>> looking and still around $6 for a bag of -- maybe 5? At Albertsons
>> you have to take out a loan to buy one.

>We don't go to CostCo much very anymore now that it's just the two of
>us. I should go and look at their avocados. Thanks for the tip.

At my Costco you have a choice. There will be a lot of avocados
perfect for making guac -- restaurants and the like usually pick those
up. Then there will be the green marbles that you take home a baby
sit. You knew, didn't you, that you could put them in the fridge when
they reach desired softness and they will keep for about a week or so?
Check regularly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:53:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
> At my Costco you have a choice. There will be a lot of avocados
> perfect for making guac -- restaurants and the like usually pick those
> up. Then there will be the green marbles that you take home a baby
> sit. You knew, didn't you, that you could put them in the fridge when
> they reach desired softness and they will keep for about a week or so?
> Check regularly.

Thanks, Janet. I know how to treat an avocado *after* I buy it, I was
just wondering why they've been so expensive for so long.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:30:37 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 15:00:14 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>> Before this summer, the price at Aldi's was more like $0.69/ea
>> if not a little bit less

> Avocados haven't been under a dollar here for over a year!

Hass are still $2.99 EACH here, Florida Soapcados are $1.50 EACH

I'm eating no avos and assuming they're throwing a lot of them away at
those prices.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 23:15:03 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:

> Hass are still $2.99 EACH here, Florida Soapcados are $1.50 EACH
>
> I'm eating no avos and assuming they're throwing a lot of them away at
> those prices.

Looks like they're trying to get you to buy local by giving you a
price incentive. We haven't bought avocados since June because
they're so expensive. Hubby likes to eat them daily (or as often as
possible) for health reasons, but not at these prices. :/

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 5:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>
> > wrote:
> > On Sep 1, 3:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> > > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > > market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> > I just bought 2 smallish avocados. *They were $1.00 each. *I didn't
> > want to do it, but they are good for the health.

> You're in Canada? *Do you know where they're coming from?

No I don't know where they're coming from. I'll guess and say Mexico?

> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 5:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>
> > wrote:
> > On Sep 1, 3:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > What's up with avocado prices this year? *Horrible! *I should be
> > > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > > market and they're tiny. *Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> > I just bought 2 smallish avocados. *They were $1.00 each. *I didn't
> > want to do it, but they are good for the health.

> You're in Canada? *Do you know where they're coming from?

I'm in Canada. I just checked the label, and the country of origin
isn't mentioned. They are haas avocados, and the brand is ma tzuri.
What's that? Greek, Israeli?

> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> Florida Soapcados are $1.50 EACH

That expression was so expressive I just had to google it. The only
appearances on-line are two stored copies of your post. Congratulations
you're just coined a new phase.

I looked up comparisons of avocado varieties. The Florida ones are the
smooth green skinned Fuertes. The California ones are the bumpy black
skinned Hasses. Most of the time I see them called "Florida avocados"
and "Hass avocados" so I didn't know the variety name Fuerte until
looking it up just now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>>
>> Florida Soapcados are $1.50 EACH

> That expression was so expressive I just had to google it. The only
> appearances on-line are two stored copies of your post. Congratulations
> you're just coined a new phase.
>
> I looked up comparisons of avocado varieties. The Florida ones are the
> smooth green skinned Fuertes. The California ones are the bumpy black
> skinned Hasses. Most of the time I see them called "Florida avocados"
> and "Hass avocados" so I didn't know the variety name Fuerte until
> looking it up just now.

The Floridas sometimes show up here at a slightly cheaper price than the
Haas, but aren't as good in my opinion. Back in the days when we could
afford avocados, we'd have them as simply as possible: halved, liberally
doused with fresh lime juice, a little mustardy vinegriette in the well,
and a spoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > What's up with avocado prices this year? Horrible! I should be
> > complaining about having to pay $1 for three instead of the usual 4
> > for $1; but the best price I see now is $1.89 at the local green
> > market and they're tiny. Everywhere else charges a $1 more for
> > avocados that aren't much bigger than that.

> Drought.

Drought may limit the supply, but if the demand evaporates due to
overpricing the product the producers will be in a world of hurt. I know
I'm not buying any avocados at those prices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:33:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Sep 1, 5:29*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>>
>> > wrote:

>>> I just bought 2 smallish avocados. *They were $1.00 each. *I didn't
>>> want to do it, but they are good for the health.

>> You're in Canada? *Do you know where they're coming from?

> I'm in Canada. I just checked the label, and the country of origin
> isn't mentioned. They are haas avocados, and the brand is ma tzuri.
> What's that? Greek, Israeli?

Try "matzuri" and you'll probably get closer.

Do you know the way to San Jose...
(complimentary earworm)

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:33:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 5:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > I just bought 2 smallish avocados. *They were $1.00 each. *I didn't
> > > want to do it, but they are good for the health.

> > You're in Canada? *Do you know where they're coming from?

> I'm in Canada. I just checked the label, and the country of origin
> isn't mentioned. They are haas avocados, and the brand is ma tzuri.
> What's that? Greek, Israeli?

Thanks, not sure either so I plugged it into google and it returned
"Hebrew" sites. I guess you're on the East Coast, so that makes
sense. East Coasters get a lot of stuff from Africa too, don't you?
I know you have a better selection of African wines than we do.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:11:18 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> I looked up comparisons of avocado varieties. The Florida ones are the
> smooth green skinned Fuertes. The California ones are the bumpy black
> skinned Hasses. Most of the time I see them called "Florida avocados"
> and "Hass avocados" so I didn't know the variety name Fuerte until
> looking it up just now.

Every Florida Fuerte I've seen is huge compared to what we get/grow
here (probably because Florida gets more rainfall than SoCal) and
fuerte is just plain blander than hass, no matter how "good" it is.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:15:54 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> sf > wrote:

> >> We used to make it rain avocados in our backyard.
> >>

> > Those avocados were free!

> sf,
>
> Sis would calmly stand behind the sliding glass door, with some measure of
> superior intelligence that we just couldn't quite grasp.

Did she have to supervise clean up and then figure out what to do with
all of those d*mn avocados you boys shook to the ground?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:11:51 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:

> Try "matzuri" and you'll probably get closer.

I don't know what google shows you on the east coast, but here it
returns "matsuri".

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:24:32 +0000 (UTC), Hackmatack
> wrote:

> Back in the days when we could
> afford avocados, we'd have them as simply as possible: halved, liberally
> doused with fresh lime juice, a little mustardy vinegriette in the well,
> and a spoon.

All that and a few shrimp in the cavity used to be a meal back in the
day. <singing: Memories>

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Neither am I.
> I did purchase two Florida avocados this morning for $.99 each and ate
> one for lunch. I happen to like them better than Haas. I find Haas to
> spoil faster and unpredictably, and be stringy inside a lot of the time.
>
> The Haas were $1.69 this morning. They ran 3 for $1.00 for a long time.
> At these prices, they can sit and rot.

That's the other problem. Not only are they expensive, they aren't
very good either.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:
snip
I find Haas to
>spoil faster and unpredictably, and be stringy inside a lot of the time.

From the California Avocado Commission
The "stringiness" you describe is a relatively rare occurrence
generally found in fruit from immature trees. Because the avocado has
grown in popularity world-wide, so has the need for new orchards. On
occasion young vigorously growing trees may produce a few fruit with
fibers, mostly near the stem end. It is impossible for growers to
predict which fruit is affected but we know that the phenomenon is
relatively rare and passes as the trees grow. The fibers are natural
cellulose and edible, although of course the texture of the pulp near
the stem end may be less appealing when fibers are present. Simply
pushing the pulp from affected fruit through a coarse strainer will
separate the fibers from affected fruit. Using the mashed fruit in
guacamole or dip recipes will allow you to fully utilize any fruit
showing this phenomenon

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 9:57*am, Omelet > wrote:
> I did purchase two Florida avocados this morning for $.99 each and ate
> one for lunch. I happen to like them better than Haas. *I find Haas to
> spoil faster and unpredictably, and be stringy inside a lot of the time.

Stringers, as we used to call them, come about from very young trees
and infrequently at that. A paternal uncle of mine was once "the"
grower in the West with many acres of avocado trees in the So. Cal. La
Habra Heights area. Because 'cados do not mature-to-ripe until picked
or taken off the tree, all of the families in our clan had fruits to
give away year 'round. Those were the days!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 12:22*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:33:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>

> > wrote:
> > On Sep 1, 5:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:51:56 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

> > > You're in Canada? *Do you know where they're coming from?

> > I'm in Canada. *I just checked the label, and the country of origin
> > isn't mentioned. *They are haas avocados, and the brand is ma tzuri.
> > What's that? *Greek, Israeli?

> Thanks, not sure either so I plugged it into google and it returned
> "Hebrew" sites. *I guess you're on the East Coast, so that makes
> sense. *East Coasters get a lot of stuff from Africa too, don't you?
> I know you have a better selection of African wines than we do.

I'm quite a way from the east coast. I live about 60 miles south west
of Toronto. New York City is about 8 hours away. The Canadian East
Coast is further. Buffalo is about 2 hours. etc.

> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:33:34 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

> Thanks, not sure either so I plugged it into google and it returned
> "Hebrew" sites. I guess you're on the East Coast, so that makes
> sense. East Coasters get a lot of stuff from Africa too, don't you?
> I know you have a better selection of African wines than we do.

I don't know about African wines, but north Africa blesses us in the wintry
northeast with sunny clementines just when February's dark is doing its
worst to our mental state.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:49:07 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:11:51 -0400, TFM® >
> wrote:
>
>> Try "matzuri" and you'll probably get closer.

> I don't know what google shows you on the east coast, but here it
> returns "matsuri".

As it does here. Then you tell it you meant to search for matzuri.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:49:07 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:11:51 -0400, TFM® >
> wrote:
>
>> Try "matzuri" and you'll probably get closer.

> I don't know what google shows you on the east coast, but here it
> returns "matsuri".

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...1440&bih=8 37
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 20:37:57 -0400, TFM® >
wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:49:07 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:11:51 -0400, TFM® >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Try "matzuri" and you'll probably get closer.

> > I don't know what google shows you on the east coast, but here it
> > returns "matsuri".

> As it does here. Then you tell it you meant to search for matzuri.

I did and (apparently) didn't get what you get. Google Instant was
turned Off too.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

What is the best way to eat Avocado's Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:30 PM
Avocado Oil Julie Bove General Cooking 17 02-03-2008 07:09 PM
Avocado oil Bubba General Cooking 1 27-05-2005 02:50 PM
avocado oil elaine General Cooking 8 25-03-2005 07:37 AM
AVOCADO ? General Cooking 37 06-03-2005 02:56 PM