Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitutions

Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
substitution.

Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I
had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead
of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a
pleasant change, actually. I'd do it again.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 1:38*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> in the kitchen. *You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> substitution.
>
> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
> freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I
> had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead
> of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a
> pleasant change, actually. *I'd do it again.
>
> -S-

We had leftover black beans and some hamburger from tacos the other
night. I mixed them together, added some quacamole, some more diced
onions, and some oyster crackers. Mixed the whole mess up and had an
off the wall chili. Oh yeah...a big glop of cottage cheese in the
middle. Sure beat eating with Andy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> substitution.
>
> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the freezer
> since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I had
> leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead of the
> usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a pleasant
> change, actually. I'd do it again.

I could not make really good gluten free biscuits. The end result was
always waaay too sweet and the texture was off. So I served sausage gravy
over baked potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Aug 25, 1:38 pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> substitution.
>
> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
> freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I
> had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead
> of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a
> pleasant change, actually. I'd do it again.
>
> -S-

We had leftover black beans and some hamburger from tacos the other
night. I mixed them together, added some quacamole, some more diced
onions, and some oyster crackers. Mixed the whole mess up and had an
off the wall chili. Oh yeah...a big glop of cottage cheese in the
middle. Sure beat eating with Andy.

Actually I think Andy would eat that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 2:03*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in ...
> On Aug 25, 1:38 pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
> > Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> > in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> > substitution.

> > Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
> > freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I
> > had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead
> > of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a
> > pleasant change, actually. I'd do it again.

> > -S-

> We had leftover black beans and some hamburger from tacos the other
> night. I mixed them together, added some quacamole, some more diced
> onions, and some oyster crackers. Mixed the whole mess up and had an
> off the wall chili. Oh yeah...a big glop of cottage cheese in the
> middle. Sure beat eating with Andy.
>
> Actually I think Andy would eat that!

Hey...I hoid dat!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that"
>> substitutions in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a
>> straight 1-to-1 substitution.
>>
>> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
>> freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and
>> I had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes
>> instead of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different
>> but was a pleasant change, actually. I'd do it again.

> I could not make really good gluten free biscuits. The end result was
> always waaay too sweet and the texture was off. So I served sausage
> gravy over baked potatoes.

Similar to mine - potatoes sub for baked goods.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:38:50 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
>> in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
>> substitution.

> Drink 24 ounces of vodka instead of 24 ounces of water.
>
> Heck, they're practically the same word in Russia (Voda/Vodka).
>
> -sw

I substitute boiled potatoes for baked ones. Of course a lot depends on the
potato, found some lovely Gold ones this week. They are easier to eat and
we can pile on top whatever seems good at the moment or is available. No
broccoli. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 25, 1:38*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> in the kitchen. *You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> substitution.
>
> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
> freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and I
> had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes instead
> of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different but was a
> pleasant change, actually. *I'd do it again.
>
> -S-

Once when I was making chicken marsala, I thought I had some marsala
in the pantry and I didn't. So I used red wine with a bit of brown
sugar and it worked exceptionally well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Aug 25, 1:38 pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that"
>> substitutions in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a
>> straight 1-to-1 substitution.
>>
>> Mine was nothing great - I had frozen TJ's potato pancakes in the
>> freezer since the winter and I couldn't bear to throw them away, and
>> I had leftover Sloppy Joe, so I had Sloppy Joe on potato pancakes
>> instead of the usual hamburger or sandwich rolls - tasted different
>> but was a pleasant change, actually. I'd do it again.
>>
>> -S-

> Once when I was making chicken marsala, I thought I had some marsala
> in the pantry and I didn't. So I used red wine with a bit of brown
> sugar and it worked exceptionally well.

Not 1 to 1, but creative nonetheless - that's a good one in my book, and
something to remember.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> substitution.

If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote:

>> (I wouldn't know a chard stem, or a chard, if you hit me over the head
>> with one.)

>We see them at the grocery store as well as farmers' markets and
>loads of people grow them. They are beet greens that have been selected
>for having more green than beet. Very tasty, and worked quite nicely as
>cooked celery.

When I cook chard, I discard the stem if it is larger than
diminutive. I think this is what many cooks do-- I don't recall
seeing much for stems when I am served chard in a restaurant.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:36:38 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> (I wouldn't know a chard stem, or a chard, if you hit me over the head
> with one.)

Chard isn't exactly like spinach, but it's close enough to use as a
substitute.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:45:19 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> They are beet greens that have been selected
> for having more green than beet. Very tasty, and worked quite nicely as
> cooked celery.

I hate it when people compare chard to beet greens because I love beet
greens and AFAIC, there is no comparison.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>I hate it when people compare chard to beet greens because I love beet
>greens and AFAIC, there is no comparison.

Other than the fact that they're identical....

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:17:37 -0700, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
> > Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> > in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> > substitution.

> If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
> instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).

Agreed! If all you need is a tablespoon of "tomato" catsup
substitutes just fine and sometimes better.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:52:21 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> Well, they _are_ beet greens. Beta vulgaris. Beets and chard. Same
> species, genus, family, the whole thing.

My point is that they do NOT taste the same. Never have, never will.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> When I cook chard, I discard the stem if it is larger than
> diminutive. I think this is what many cooks do-- I don't recall
> seeing much for stems when I am served chard in a restaurant.

Oh Steve! No! There are two different chards (bietole) and one has stems
of an inch or more in width. If you discarded that you'd waste 2/3 of your
purchase. I think most restaurants use a very juvenile chard, but I prefer
the stronger flavor of the grownups.

Member

Pricing for different types of projects can range vastly depending upon the business structure and the length of time the business has been operating. The business can be a design studio, freelance or consultant, or a print shop franchise like Kinko's and have years of experience or be newly established in the industry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:52:21 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:45:19 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > They are beet greens that have been selected
>> > for having more green than beet. Very tasty, and worked quite nicely as
>> > cooked celery.

>> I hate it when people compare chard to beet greens because I love beet
>> greens and AFAIC, there is no comparison.

> Well, they _are_ beet greens. Beta vulgaris. Beets and chard. Same
>species, genus, family, the whole thing.

Except that Chard is Beta cicla.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:31:49 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> When I cook chard, I discard the stem if it is larger than
>> diminutive. I think this is what many cooks do-- I don't recall
>> seeing much for stems when I am served chard in a restaurant.

>Oh Steve! No! There are two different chards (bietole) and one has stems
>of an inch or more in width. If you discarded that you'd waste 2/3 of your
>purchase. I think most restaurants use a very juvenile chard, but I prefer
>the stronger flavor of the grownups.

I'm with you. I'll start sauteing the stem early - and essentially
'garnish' the stems with those wimpy greens at the end.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 22:15:35 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:36:38 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>wrote:
>
>> (I wouldn't know a chard stem, or a chard, if you hit me over the head
>> with one.)
>>

>Chard isn't exactly like spinach, but it's close enough to use as a
>substitute.

I never have made that substitution-- But yesterday my wife asked for
some spinach soup and I put it off as we don't have any spinach in the
house. After I started something else I thought of the chard
in the garden that needs picking. It is chard soup tonight!
[there will be no trying to fool her as the chard is rainbow chard so
it is mostly tinged with yellow and red]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> When I cook chard, I discard the stem if it is larger than
>> diminutive. I think this is what many cooks do-- I don't recall
>> seeing much for stems when I am served chard in a restaurant.

>Oh Steve! No! There are two different chards (bietole) and one has stems
>of an inch or more in width. If you discarded that you'd waste 2/3 of your
>purchase. I think most restaurants use a very juvenile chard, but I prefer
>the stronger flavor of the grownups.

Thanks, I will try this next time.

For the most part I do consider baby chard the best, if it is sauteed
and then served immediately, within seconds. And restaurants do
use it, but even under optimal restaurant conditions by the time
you eat it, it is in a state of decline.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 2:03*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:17:37 -0700, isw > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> > > Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> > > in the kitchen. *You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> > > substitution.

> > If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
> > instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).

> Agreed! *If all you need is a tablespoon of "tomato" catsup
> substitutes just fine and sometimes better.
>
> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

When I open a can of tomato paste, I put what's left over in a small
ice tray and freeze it. When the cubes are hard, they go into a zip-
lock baggie. That way, I have a dollop whenever I need one. I usually
get the 6-oz (double size) cans because I know there won't be any
waste.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:50:09 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:52:21 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> > > wrote:

> > > Well, they _are_ beet greens. Beta vulgaris. Beets and chard. Same
> > >species, genus, family, the whole thing.
> > >

> > Except that Chard is Beta cicla.

> Not any I've grown or seen in seed catalogues. No, there is exactly
> one variant, which is commonly called perpetual spinach that is a beta
> Cicla. All the rest, rhubarb, fordhook, silverbeet, rainbow, vulcan,
> neon, all of them are beta Vulgaris.

Why bother to differentiate then, just call them beta Vulgaris and eat
them all together.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 07:38:12 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> It is chard soup tonight!
> [there will be no trying to fool her as the chard is rainbow chard so
> it is mostly tinged with yellow and red]

Rainbow chard is pretty darned yummy so the soup will be fine.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 12:17*am, isw > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
> > Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
> > in the kitchen. *You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
> > substitution.

> If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
> instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).
>
> Isaac

If I open a can of tom. paste for, say , a tablespoon of the stuff, I
dump the rest onto a sheet of plastic wrap, roll it up and freeze
it. You can then just slice of whatever you need an dre-freeze.

I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:17:54 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2:03*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:17:37 -0700, isw > wrote:

> > > If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
> > > instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).

> > Agreed! *If all you need is a tablespoon of "tomato" catsup
> > substitutes just fine and sometimes better.
> >

> When I open a can of tomato paste, I put what's left over in a small
> ice tray and freeze it. When the cubes are hard, they go into a zip-
> lock baggie. That way, I have a dollop whenever I need one. I usually
> get the 6-oz (double size) cans because I know there won't be any
> waste.

I don't have a huge freezer, just the one attached to my refrigerator
and it's stuffed. When I have leftover tomato paste, I don't bother
with an ice cube tray. I put 1T scoops on a cookie sheet and freeze
them, then store them for later use in a zip lock baggie.... but I
still prefer using ketchup. I probably use more ketchup that way than
any other.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2011 4:06 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Aug 26, 12:17 am, > wrote:
>> In >,
>> "Steve > wrote:
>>
>>> Please post your "gee, I never would have thought of that" substitutions
>>> in the kitchen. You get extra points if it's a straight 1-to-1
>>> substitution.

>> If small quantities are called for in a recipe, I regularly use catsup
>> instead of tomato paste (which I almost never have on hand).
>>
>> Isaac

> If I open a can of tom. paste for, say , a tablespoon of the stuff, I
> dump the rest onto a sheet of plastic wrap, roll it up and freeze
> it. You can then just slice of whatever you need an dre-freeze.
>
> I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

Yes, I've got some, imported from Italy. It's a good way to have small
quantities available.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:22 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

I have a tube of it in my refrigerator right now.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:22 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

> wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

>I have a tube of it in my refrigerator right now.

Yes, in addition Bionature sells tomato paste in jars. It keeps in
the refrigerator better than a can would. (However, one can also
just transfer the contents of an open can on tomato paste to
a glass jar.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:53:46 -0500, Andy > wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:22 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

> > I have a tube of it in my refrigerator right now.

> Kalmia,
>
> What troubles you so much that you can't spell tomato?
>
> It's not cute or inspirational.
>
> Usenet isn't meant for text messaging!
>
> Lazy and pathetic, imo.

R U psd?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 1:53*pm, Andy > wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:06:22 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > > wrote:

> >> I wonder if anyone has ever seen tom paste in a tube?

> > I have a tube of it in my refrigerator right now.

> Kalmia,
>
> What troubles you so much that you can't spell tomato?
>
> It's not cute or inspirational.
>
> Usenet isn't meant for text messaging!
>
> Lazy and pathetic, imo.
>
> Andy

Fer christ sake Andy...you use imo. Plus all those (smooch)'s are just
plain annoying.