Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fixing my rice crackers

Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
the same ... but they aren't.

The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
vinegar powder.

Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
Any better ideas?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
>Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
>temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
>the same ... but they aren't.
>
>The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
>kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
>of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
>vinegar powder.
>
>Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
>vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
>Any better ideas?

I recently purchased a 1/2 pound of Penzeys oriental hot mustard
powder... last night I added a tsp to my red potato salad dressing
(just Hellman's, a little vinegar, and s n'p), excellent... maybe it
can jazz up your rice crackers, dry or wet. If you get some vinegar
powder be careful, that stuff is very potent, can be dangerous. I
boiled and diced an entire 5 lb bag of red potatoes, left skins on.
Very simple, very easy, very good:
http://i51.tinypic.com/4pzqb.jpg
Served on a bed of iceberg, bok choy, red pepper, tomatoes... picked
some more squash yesterday but I will give them away this time:
http://i54.tinypic.com/k2e2oh.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 11:54 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
> temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
> the same ... but they aren't.
>
> The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
> kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
> of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
> vinegar powder.
>
> Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
> vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
> Any better ideas?
>
> nancy

I can't picture how vinegar powder would work because usual rice
crackers are slick.

Did you try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Sons-Vi.../dp/B003JY8I4E

I like rice crackers and often try different brands but never
encountered ones with a vinegar taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 12:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:

>> The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
>> kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
>> of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
>> vinegar powder.
>>
>> Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
>> vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
>> Any better ideas?

> I recently purchased a 1/2 pound of Penzeys oriental hot mustard
> powder... last night I added a tsp to my red potato salad dressing
> (just Hellman's, a little vinegar, and s n'p), excellent... maybe it
> can jazz up your rice crackers, dry or wet.

That's a good idea.

> If you get some vinegar
> powder be careful, that stuff is very potent, can be dangerous. I
> boiled and diced an entire 5 lb bag of red potatoes, left skins on.
> Very simple, very easy, very good:
> http://i51.tinypic.com/4pzqb.jpg

Looks delicious. Boy, I haven't had potato salad in forever.

> Served on a bed of iceberg, bok choy, red pepper, tomatoes... picked
> some more squash yesterday but I will give them away this time:
> http://i54.tinypic.com/k2e2oh.jpg

Beautiful.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 12:57 PM, George wrote:
> On 8/20/2011 11:54 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
>> kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
>> of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
>> vinegar powder.

> I can't picture how vinegar powder would work because usual rice
> crackers are slick.

I thought maybe they have enough texture to hold on. Probably
not.

> Did you try these:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Sons-Vi.../dp/B003JY8I4E

No, I didn't. They look good to me.

> I like rice crackers and often try different brands but never
> encountered ones with a vinegar taste.

It's not overwhelming, like when I've bought chips with vinegar,
that's pretty overpowering. It's just a little kick or a hint.
It makes a difference to me.

I bought a really big bag, so I'll have plenty to experiment with.

Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 9:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
>> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
>> temporary/whatever.

> I saw them at CostCo Austin about 10 days ago. I've never bought them
> since I have 3 boxes of various Blue Diamond at home.

You coulda gotten them for me! Just kidding. I keep expecting
them to reappear but it's been a while since I've seen them at
Costcos around here.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
>Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
>temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
>the same ... but they aren't.
>
>The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
>kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
>of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
>vinegar powder.
>
>Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
>vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
>Any better ideas?
>
>nancy

Oh Nancy I bought that at our local COSTCO too and loved them! Went
back to get more and they are not carrying them here, either. I think
it was even a Kirkland brand but that bag of rice crackers and nuts
was So Good! Maybe they'll bring them back? Hope so!

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 12:48 PM, pure kona wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>
>> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
>> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
>> temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
>> the same ... but they aren't.

> Oh Nancy I bought that at our local COSTCO too and loved them! Went
> back to get more and they are not carrying them here, either. I think
> it was even a Kirkland brand but that bag of rice crackers and nuts
> was So Good! Maybe they'll bring them back? Hope so!

Dang! They got us hooked and yanked our fix. Heh. We need
to stage a protest.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:36:53 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 8/21/2011 12:48 PM, pure kona wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
> >
> >> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
> >> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
> >> temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
> >> the same ... but they aren't.

> > Oh Nancy I bought that at our local COSTCO too and loved them! Went
> > back to get more and they are not carrying them here, either. I think
> > it was even a Kirkland brand but that bag of rice crackers and nuts
> > was So Good! Maybe they'll bring them back? Hope so!

> Dang! They got us hooked and yanked our fix. Heh. We need
> to stage a protest.

I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 2:08 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:43:29 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I saw them at CostCo Austin about 10 days ago. I've never bought them
>>> since I have 3 boxes of various Blue Diamond at home.

>> You coulda gotten them for me! Just kidding. I keep expecting
>> them to reappear but it's been a while since I've seen them at
>> Costcos around here.

> This was different package than what I saw, and I don't recall them
> being a Kirkland brand. these were in a large tray approx
> 5" x 12" x 2.5"
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signa.../dp/B003K0ZPIO

Those are the ones. Funny, I googled to see if someone mentioned them
being discontinued and I saw they were for sale on Amazon for some
astronomical price ... and now they aren't available from there, either.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 2:15 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Wait a second - were these actual crackers as we know them or were
> these more of a snack - like those little itty bitty glossy things?

Yes! The shiny little things.

> What I'm talking about are actual crackers that you can spread stuff
> on.

Gotcha.

> This site mentions so many flavors I'm thinking it's the snack mix.
> http://www.vitasprings.com/kirkland-...kers-nuts.html

Those are the very ones. Also out of stock on that website. Costco,
are you listening?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 2:08 PM, sf wrote:

> I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
> Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/20/2011 9:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:54:04 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
>>> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
>>> temporary/whatever.

>> I saw them at CostCo Austin about 10 days ago. I've never bought them
>> since I have 3 boxes of various Blue Diamond at home.

> You coulda gotten them for me! Just kidding. I keep expecting
> them to reappear but it's been a while since I've seen them at
> Costcos around here.

That's one thing I dislike about Costco. They will get things infrequently
or just once and then never again. I was told by an employee it is because
they require huge amounts of the product at one time and suppliers can't
keep up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 11:40 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I recently purchased a 1/2 pound of Penzeys oriental hot mustard
> powder... last night I added a tsp to my red potato salad dressing
> (just Hellman's, a little vinegar, and s n'p), excellent... maybe it
> can jazz up your rice crackers, dry or wet.

Last week, I used the same recipe when I cooked macaroni salad. We must
be on the same wavelength. Loved the photos.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 5:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nancy Young"<email@replyto> wrote in message

>> You coulda gotten them for me! Just kidding. I keep expecting
>> them to reappear but it's been a while since I've seen them at
>> Costcos around here.

> That's one thing I dislike about Costco. They will get things infrequently
> or just once and then never again. I was told by an employee it is because
> they require huge amounts of the product at one time and suppliers can't
> keep up.

I can picture that. I'm sure they make sure that whoever they do
business are capable of keeping up with such huge demands, but stuff
does happen. Anyway, my local supermarket pulls the same stunt, we
have a running joke that if an item is popular, they stop ordering it
because it gets annoying restocking the shelves.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 5:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nancy Young"<email@replyto> wrote in message
> .com...

>>> I saw them at CostCo Austin about 10 days ago. I've never bought them
>>> since I have 3 boxes of various Blue Diamond at home.

>> You coulda gotten them for me! Just kidding. I keep expecting
>> them to reappear but it's been a while since I've seen them at
>> Costcos around here.

> That's one thing I dislike about Costco. They will get things infrequently
> or just once and then never again. I was told by an employee it is because
> they require huge amounts of the product at one time and suppliers can't
> keep up.

I would doubt supply has anything to do with it. Clearly manufacturers
are able to meet the demands of other stores. "clubs" such as Costco
have a much different purchasing philosophy than a regular store.
Regular stores offer a large consistent set of products plus one time
specials. "clubs" offer a much smaller set of products and many are
simply one time purchases. So they buy x cases of a product and when it
sells out that space gets stocked with something else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 2:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
>> Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.
>
> nancy

Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:34:49 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>> I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
>> Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

>Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.
>
>nancy

But not only did that gab have rice crackers of different sorts
(called "arare"- at least here in Hawaii) but the bag IIRC had almonds
and other nuts. Tasty treat! So yummy!

aloha,
Cea

PS Nancy, if you looked for a product called arare, you may find some
Asian stores that sell them, near you. I just loved that combo at
COSTCO- arare+nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:46:36 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 8/20/2011 11:40 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> I recently purchased a 1/2 pound of Penzeys oriental hot mustard
>> powder... last night I added a tsp to my red potato salad dressing
>> (just Hellman's, a little vinegar, and s n'p), excellent... maybe it
>> can jazz up your rice crackers, dry or wet.

>Last week, I used the same recipe when I cooked macaroni salad. We must
>be on the same wavelength. Loved the photos.

Hot mustard is good with many foods. Mustard was the source of heat
in cooking for much of the world before the explorers discovered hot
peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:34:49 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> > I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
> > Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

Okay, thanks. I've never called them rice crackers. I call them
"Japanese" crackers.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 19:44:30 -0400, George >
wrote:

> I would doubt supply has anything to do with it. Clearly manufacturers
> are able to meet the demands of other stores. "clubs" such as Costco
> have a much different purchasing philosophy than a regular store.
> Regular stores offer a large consistent set of products plus one time
> specials. "clubs" offer a much smaller set of products and many are
> simply one time purchases. So they buy x cases of a product and when it
> sells out that space gets stocked with something else.

Someone I asked about it at Costco said that if they can't get it for
a certain price, they discontinue it. Price is why you to return to
Costco, not their small selection and large package size.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 7:50 PM, George wrote:
> On 8/21/2011 2:34 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 8/21/2011 2:08 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I don't even know what you two are talking about... do you mean those
>>> Japanese style rice crackers (of various shapes) with seaweed?

>> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
is. Nice store?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 7:59 PM, pure kona wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:34:49 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:

>> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

> But not only did that gab have rice crackers of different sorts
> (called "arare"- at least here in Hawaii) but the bag IIRC had almonds
> and other nuts. Tasty treat! So yummy!

It does, has almonds, peanuts and cashews. I sort of pick things
out one type at a time. It's really good.

> PS Nancy, if you looked for a product called arare, you may find some
> Asian stores that sell them, near you. I just loved that combo at
> COSTCO- arare+nuts.

Thanks! I have thought I could add the nuts to the mix I bought,
but I'd like to change up the flavor a bit. I haven't gotten around
to trying any suggestions yet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2011 5:54 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Someone here turned me on to the rice crackers w/ nuts from Costco.
> Now I can't find them any longer; I don't know what happened, if it's
> temporary/whatever. So I bought some rice crackers online that look
> the same ... but they aren't.
>
> The difference to me is that the new stuff doesn't have the vinegar
> kick that I liked with the Costco snacks. On the ingredient list
> of the Kirkland product I see vinegar (I don't know what kind) and
> vinegar powder.
>
> Would it be completely off the wall for me to get my hands on some
> vinegar powder and jazz up my new crackers? I bought a huge bag.
> Any better ideas?
>
> nancy

Interesting, we're sort of experts on kakimochi or arare over here and
I've never heard of such a thing. I have seen bags of the stuff at
Costco but it seemed kinda expensive. Hopefully, it'll pop up again in
the future. It sounds intriguing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 00:10:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:00:04 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> That's one thing I dislike about Costco. They will get things infrequently
>> or just once and then never again. I was told by an employee it is because
>> they require huge amounts of the product at one time and suppliers can't
>> keep up.

>If a manufacturer can't provide CostCo with enough, they never should
>have bought into supplying it even once. If they can't supply enough,
>then a manufacturer should be happy enough selling what they can
>manufacture in smaller quantities at higher prices to regular stores.
>At least until they can ramp up manufacturing.

If I was selling widgets I'd make a one time super-deal with Costco in
the hopes that folks would like my product so much they'd raise hell
on r.f.c until Costco came begging me to sell them some more at a
price where I could make some money. I might have to ramp up my
factory to do the long term deal-- but at least I [and Costco] would
know what the demand is for my widgets.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:43:18 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>On 8/21/2011 7:50 PM, George wrote:

>>> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

>> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

>No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
>is. Nice store?
>
>nancy

The entire plaza is a great place to shop and their food court is
fabulous. I have been going there for years. Catch a load of the
prices on their sushi grade fish. Bring your bank representative.

The kids are all grown up now, but it was a fun place to take them for
lunch, a stroll and a look around when they were little. One day they
saw line a as we shopped the market aisles. Ice cream samples were
being offered....red bean and green tea. I warned the kids that they
might be surprised, but they were undaunted and insisted on getting in
line and waiting patiently. Too bad there were no ubiquitous digital
cameras then, because I'd really like to have recorded the looks on
those little faces when they tasted the samples.

Oh, believe me, the ice cream was actually terrific. And they have the
best Pocky selection for miles around.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:00:04 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> That's one thing I dislike about Costco. They will get things infrequently
>> or just once and then never again. I was told by an employee it is because
>> they require huge amounts of the product at one time and suppliers can't
>> keep up.

>If a manufacturer can't provide CostCo with enough, they never should
>have bought into supplying it even once. If they can't supply enough,
>then a manufacturer should be happy enough selling what they can
>manufacture in smaller quantities at higher prices to regular stores.
>At least until they can ramp up manufacturing.
>
>What's odd is that Kirkland chose to co-brand this item. They usually
>wouldn't do this unless it's a proven good seller and the manufacturer
>can consistently deliver the product with the Kirkland name on it.
>CostCo shouldn't be bothering with co-branding agreements for
>temporary items. But that does happen all the time with cookware, at
>least. But I think a lot of that stuff comes from a small handful of
>repeat manufacturers.
>
>It's not the first food product with the Kirkland name on it that I've
>seen disappear afetr a short run. The longest running co-brand one
>I've noticed is the marinated artichoke hearts from Cara Mia. Always
>in stock for 8+ years but they did just make the package smaller (and
>split them into two bottles) and raise the price on those.
>
>The Kirkland Court Classic shoes have also been another long-stading
>regular item.
>
>-sw

Costco is one of the larges retailers in the US with excellent stock
and purchase tracking. Based on what I know about their marketing,
some products are initially carried on a short- or long-term trial
basis or sometimes only for a deliberately limited run or season,
never to be heard from again. It is one of the things that makes
shopping there so much fun. And if they have discontinued an item,
they will at least look up the warehouses nearby that may still have
some of it in stock if you want to gather up the remains.

Additionally, they are one of the few suppliers that has their own
standards testing of certain products - for example, they are
instituting internal ground beef tests because some suppliers are lax.
So perhaps a supplier did not live up to standards and the product
disappears....anyway, products come and go there all the time. Over
the past 20+ years, I have found few things are always there, except
for very basics, such as branded paper goods, laundry products,
certain canned goods, etc.

And don't forget that a good chunk of their stock is locally carried
only - not necessarily sourced that way, although some might be, but
unique to the store or region.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/21/2011 9:43 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/21/2011 7:50 PM, George wrote:

>>> Yup! I have a fondness for them since I was a kid.

>> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

> No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
> is. Nice store?
>
> nancy

Its the closest thing to going to Japan. The Food store is the anchor
and there is a strip in the same plaza with other Japanese stores. There
are a few smaller vendors inside the store operating a bakery, pickled
items, sushi and tea. There is a food court in the back with a great
view of the Hudson and NYC.

It was born as Yaohan Plaza but they got wobbly. Yaohan was a little
better for ambiance because there were a bunch of inside food stall
places inside. Mitsuwa is a little more upscale.

http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/newj/eindex.html

http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenant/eindex.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 9:43 AM, George wrote:
> On 8/21/2011 9:43 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 8/21/2011 7:50 PM, George wrote:

>>> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

>> No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
>> is. Nice store?

> Its the closest thing to going to Japan. The Food store is the anchor
> and there is a strip in the same plaza with other Japanese stores. There
> are a few smaller vendors inside the store operating a bakery, pickled
> items, sushi and tea. There is a food court in the back with a great
> view of the Hudson and NYC.

Oh my goodness, maybe my mother would love to go there.

> It was born as Yaohan Plaza but they got wobbly. Yaohan was a little
> better for ambiance because there were a bunch of inside food stall
> places inside. Mitsuwa is a little more upscale.
>
> http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/newj/eindex.html
>
> http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenant/eindex.html

Wow, and look at all those stores! I didn't even know DHC had a store
anywhere near me, for instance. Thanks, George.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 7:40 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:43:18 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>
>> On 8/21/2011 7:50 PM, George wrote:

>>> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

>> No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
>> is. Nice store?

> The entire plaza is a great place to shop and their food court is
> fabulous. I have been going there for years. Catch a load of the
> prices on their sushi grade fish. Bring your bank representative.

(laugh) Finally, a use for those home equity checks they keep
sending me!

One time we had a discussion on rfc about oriental markets and I'm
pretty sure it was you who mentioned (Mitsuwa??) but it was more
like on Route 22 or in that direction. Chances are good I was
confused.

> The kids are all grown up now, but it was a fun place to take them for
> lunch, a stroll and a look around when they were little. One day they
> saw line a as we shopped the market aisles. Ice cream samples were
> being offered....red bean and green tea. I warned the kids that they
> might be surprised, but they were undaunted and insisted on getting in
> line and waiting patiently. Too bad there were no ubiquitous digital
> cameras then, because I'd really like to have recorded the looks on
> those little faces when they tasted the samples.

Comical! Very cute. Going out on a limb that red bean ice cream
doesn't taste like strawberry.

> Oh, believe me, the ice cream was actually terrific. And they have the
> best Pocky selection for miles around.

Sounds like a road trip in the making. Thanks!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 22, 6:43*am, George > wrote:
> On 8/21/2011 9:43 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Did you ever checkout what is now Mitsuwa plaza in Edgewater?

> > No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
> > is. Nice store?

> > nancy

> Its the closest thing to going to Japan. The Food store is the anchor
> and there is a strip in the same plaza with other Japanese stores. There
> are a few smaller vendors inside the store operating a bakery, pickled
> items, sushi and tea. There is a food court in the back with a great
> view of the Hudson and NYC.
>
> It was born as Yaohan Plaza but they got wobbly. Yaohan was a little
> better for ambiance because there were a bunch of inside food stall
> places inside. Mitsuwa is a little more upscale.
>
> http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/newj/eindex.html
>
> http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenant/eindex.html

We have a similar operation in the Seattle area called Uwajimaya. I
LOVE to go there and just poke around.

http://www.uwajimaya.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 22, 7:33*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Aug 22, 6:43*am, George > wrote:

> > > No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
> > > is. Nice store?

> > > nancy

> > Its the closest thing to going to Japan. The Food store is the anchor
> > and there is a strip in the same plaza with other Japanese stores. There
> > are a few smaller vendors inside the store operating a bakery, pickled
> > items, sushi and tea. There is a food court in the back with a great
> > view of the Hudson and NYC.

> > It was born as Yaohan Plaza but they got wobbly. Yaohan was a little
> > better for ambiance because there were a bunch of inside food stall
> > places inside. Mitsuwa is a little more upscale.

> >http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/newj/eindex.html

> >http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenant/eindex.html

> We have a similar operation in the Seattle area called Uwajimaya. * I
> LOVE to go there and just poke around.
>
> http://www.uwajimaya.com/

They also have a bunch of smaller vendors as a 'village'

http://www.uwajimayavillage.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:02:18 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

>On 8/22/2011 7:40 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
>>> is. Nice store?

>> The entire plaza is a great place to shop and their food court is
>> fabulous. I have been going there for years. Catch a load of the
>> prices on their sushi grade fish. Bring your bank representative.

>(laugh) Finally, a use for those home equity checks they keep
>sending me!
>
>One time we had a discussion on rfc about oriental markets and I'm
>pretty sure it was you who mentioned (Mitsuwa??) but it was more
>like on Route 22 or in that direction. Chances are good I was
>confused.

There is a place down there that is terrific and since the kid is even
out of grad school now, we don't get down there as often. I need to
make a food expedition. There are so many terrific restaurants and
markets within 10-15 minutes of Rutgers.

>> Oh, believe me, the ice cream was actually terrific. And they have the
>> best Pocky selection for miles around.

>Sounds like a road trip in the making. Thanks!
>
>nancy

It's fun and it is also an interesting ride up the Old Lincoln
Highway.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:55:22 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> Costco is one of the larges retailers in the US with excellent stock
> and purchase tracking. Based on what I know about their marketing,
> some products are initially carried on a short- or long-term trial
> basis or sometimes only for a deliberately limited run or season,
> never to be heard from again. It is one of the things that makes
> shopping there so much fun. And if they have discontinued an item,
> they will at least look up the warehouses nearby that may still have
> some of it in stock if you want to gather up the remains.

Crybaby customers are what took the fun and sense of discovery out of
shopping at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus too.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 10:02 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/22/2011 7:40 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> No, I haven't heard of it before. I had to look up where Edgewater
>>> is. Nice store?

>> The entire plaza is a great place to shop and their food court is
>> fabulous. I have been going there for years. Catch a load of the
>> prices on their sushi grade fish. Bring your bank representative.

> (laugh) Finally, a use for those home equity checks they keep
> sending me!
>
> One time we had a discussion on rfc about oriental markets and I'm
> pretty sure it was you who mentioned (Mitsuwa??) but it was more
> like on Route 22 or in that direction. Chances are good I was
> confused.

The market on Route 22 is called Asia Market. They have 3 or 4 more
locations in NJ.

http://www.asianfoodmarkets.com/

In Edison there is Kam Man. That is the same company as the one that has
been on Canal St in NYC forever. It is a little south of the big brown
space where the Ford plant was on Rt 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Man_Food

Then there is Hong Kong Supermarket in East Brunswick on Rt18. They also
have one in north Philly that I frequent that was mysteriously renamed
about a year ago as Farmers Best with the same basic stock and they are
even still bagging with Hong Kong Supermarket bags. That one has one of
the best produce sections of any Asian market I visit.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/591451...east-brunswick

>> The kids are all grown up now, but it was a fun place to take them for
>> lunch, a stroll and a look around when they were little. One day they
>> saw line a as we shopped the market aisles. Ice cream samples were
>> being offered....red bean and green tea. I warned the kids that they
>> might be surprised, but they were undaunted and insisted on getting in
>> line and waiting patiently. Too bad there were no ubiquitous digital
>> cameras then, because I'd really like to have recorded the looks on
>> those little faces when they tasted the samples.

> Comical! Very cute. Going out on a limb that red bean ice cream
> doesn't taste like strawberry.
>
>> Oh, believe me, the ice cream was actually terrific. And they have the
>> best Pocky selection for miles around.

> Sounds like a road trip in the making. Thanks!
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 1:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:55:22 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> Costco is one of the larges retailers in the US with excellent stock
>> and purchase tracking. Based on what I know about their marketing,
>> some products are initially carried on a short- or long-term trial
>> basis or sometimes only for a deliberately limited run or season,
>> never to be heard from again. It is one of the things that makes
>> shopping there so much fun. And if they have discontinued an item,
>> they will at least look up the warehouses nearby that may still have
>> some of it in stock if you want to gather up the remains.
>>

> Crybaby customers are what took the fun and sense of discovery out of
> shopping at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus too.

I like to try new things but I also like to have a reasonable chance
that if I like something I can buy more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:01:38 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 8/22/2011 1:00 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:55:22 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Costco is one of the larges retailers in the US with excellent stock
> >> and purchase tracking. Based on what I know about their marketing,
> >> some products are initially carried on a short- or long-term trial
> >> basis or sometimes only for a deliberately limited run or season,
> >> never to be heard from again. It is one of the things that makes
> >> shopping there so much fun. And if they have discontinued an item,
> >> they will at least look up the warehouses nearby that may still have
> >> some of it in stock if you want to gather up the remains.
> >>

> > Crybaby customers are what took the fun and sense of discovery out of
> > shopping at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus too.
> >

> I like to try new things but I also like to have a reasonable chance
> that if I like something I can buy more.

Where's your sense of adventure, George? That's what the original
concepts were all about: TJ's with food, Cost Plus with home
furnishings. If you wanted predictability, you could shop at Macy's.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 8:01 AM, George wrote:
> On 8/22/2011 1:00 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:55:22 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Costco is one of the larges retailers in the US with excellent stock
>>> and purchase tracking. Based on what I know about their marketing,
>>> some products are initially carried on a short- or long-term trial
>>> basis or sometimes only for a deliberately limited run or season,
>>> never to be heard from again. It is one of the things that makes
>>> shopping there so much fun. And if they have discontinued an item,
>>> they will at least look up the warehouses nearby that may still have
>>> some of it in stock if you want to gather up the remains.
>>>

>> Crybaby customers are what took the fun and sense of discovery out of
>> shopping at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus too.
>>

> I like to try new things but I also like to have a reasonable chance
> that if I like something I can buy more.

You shouldn't take anything for granted at Costco. I resell TV Ears and
the minute I hear those items are in stock I'll go on in and get some.
Sometimes it's gone by the time I get there. Too bad because they're a
lot cheaper than what I can get from my suppliers. OTOH, life is like
that - great opportunities don't come your way everyday.

If you have an item that you like at Costco, it's always good idea to
get it when you see it. It's also a good idea to not get too attached to
any of their products. I used to always buy their brown gravy mix for $3
but now they only sell huge containers for $15 which is way too big.
That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 2:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:01:38 -0400, >
> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/22/2011 1:00 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:55:22 -0400, Boron Elgar

>>> Crybaby customers are what took the fun and sense of discovery out of
>>> shopping at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus too.
>>>

>> I like to try new things but I also like to have a reasonable chance
>> that if I like something I can buy more.

> Where's your sense of adventure, George? That's what the original
> concepts were all about: TJ's with food, Cost Plus with home
> furnishings. If you wanted predictability, you could shop at Macy's.

Or you can do as I do and patronize ethnic markets. Guaranteed I can
always find something new to me and if I like it I can but more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 03:35:08 -0400, George >
wrote:

> On 8/22/2011 2:12 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:01:38 -0400, >
> > wrote:

> >> I like to try new things but I also like to have a reasonable chance
> >> that if I like something I can buy more.

> > Where's your sense of adventure, George? That's what the original
> > concepts were all about: TJ's with food, Cost Plus with home
> > furnishings. If you wanted predictability, you could shop at Macy's.
> >

> Or you can do as I do and patronize ethnic markets. Guaranteed I can
> always find something new to me and if I like it I can but more.

I do that too, but there's no sense of adventure when shopping is so
predictable.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila