Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lidia accused of slavery

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Sad story, if true.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>
> But it does seem that a surprising number of successful
> restaurant chefs are rather hard on their underlings,
> almost like that's required to be successful.

Well, it *is* a British tabloid...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Sad story, if true.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>
> But it does seem that a surprising number of successful
> restaurant chefs are rather hard on their underlings,
> almost like that's required to be successful.

I think successful chefs are hard on themselves, so they naturally expect a
lot of others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Sad story, if true.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>
> But it does seem that a surprising number of successful
> restaurant chefs are rather hard on their underlings,
> almost like that's required to be successful.

It's the Daily Fail. Take anything they say with a bucket of salt.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Sad story, if true.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>
> But it does seem that a surprising number of successful
> restaurant chefs are rather hard on their underlings,
> almost like that's required to be successful.

Google shows this is a purely Rupert Murdoch story. I see no other
syndications. Just a lot of web portals passing it on. It's going to be a
tough case for the prosecution.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:49:45 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Sad story, if true.
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>
> But it does seem that a surprising number of successful restaurant chefs
> are rather hard on their underlings, almost like that's required to be
> successful.

Huh? Did anyone actually read this article? Unless the URL is directing
my browser to the wrong story, there is absolutely nothing in it about
how a professional kitchen is run or how demanding this chef is in
running her kitchen.

I don't know how reliable a source of news the Daily Mail is, apparently
it is the British equivalent of the Enquirer, and therefore not the most
reliable source. However, the story is about the plaintiff being promised
a job as a chef, then that job never materializing. Instead, she is
forced into being a caretaker, and not even paid for that.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/08/2011 04:32, Sqwertz ha scritto:

>> I think successful chefs are hard on themselves, so they naturally expect a
>> lot of others.

> Oh, come on. It's not a like a chef would break down and kill himself
> if his restaurant ever lost a Michelin star.

It happened, and not so long ago:

"In 2004 Michelin came under fire in some quarters after bipolar chef
Bernard Loiseau committed suicide after he was rumoured to be in danger
of losing one of his three stars. However, the Michelin guide had stated
he would not be downgraded. Most news reports attributed his suicide to
the downgrade carried out by the rival Gault Millau guide."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restaurant_rating
(under Ratings Impact)
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Martinich" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Well, it *is* a British tabloid...

I think I read it also in the NYT. Very sketchy account. Didn't even say
who the old woman was that she was being caregiver for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian" > ha scritto nel messaggio

.. However, the story is about the plaintiff being promised
> a job as a chef, then that job never materializing. Instead, she is
> forced into being a caretaker, and not even paid for that.

There will probably be punitive damages abd actual damages, but good luck
with 5 million. Chefs with ages of experience and thre or four restaurants
maybe reach that goal. Interns get paid very little.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Don Martinich" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> Well, it *is* a British tabloid...

http://www.google.it/search?q=lawsui...Xl4QSw9 LnBBw

It's everywhere now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Il 20/08/2011 04:32, Sqwertz ha scritto:
>
>>> I think successful chefs are hard on themselves, so they naturally
>>> expect a
>>> lot of others.

>> Oh, come on. It's not a like a chef would break down and kill himself
>> if his restaurant ever lost a Michelin star.

> It happened, and not so long ago:
>
> "In 2004 Michelin came under fire in some quarters after bipolar chef
> Bernard Loiseau committed suicide after he was rumoured to be in danger of
> losing one of his three stars.

There's your clue right there. Bipolar. It's a medical diagnosis.
Obviously he already had problems. Chances are he would have killed himself
even without the threat of losing a star.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:49:45 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>

>>Sad story, if true.
>>
>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027823
>>
>>But it does seem that a surprising number of successful restaurant chefs
>>are rather hard on their underlings, almost like that's required to be
>>successful.

> Huh? Did anyone actually read this article? Unless the URL is directing
> my browser to the wrong story, there is absolutely nothing in it about
> how a professional kitchen is run or how demanding this chef is in
> running her kitchen.
>
> I don't know how reliable a source of news the Daily Mail is, apparently
> it is the British equivalent of the Enquirer, and therefore not the most
> reliable source. However, the story is about the plaintiff being promised
> a job as a chef, then that job never materializing. Instead, she is
> forced into being a caretaker, and not even paid for that.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Quoting from the "Daily Mail" article.

"Mr Catsandonis said: 'Farina became bonded with this old lady and didn't
want to leave her like that. She really believed that Lidia some day was
going
to make good on her promises."

From what im told by English friends the "Daily Mail" is little
different than the American "National Enquirer" tabloid type "newspapers".

There's really no excuse for this "Farina" to whine now when she should
have done so the very first moment she was not given what she thought
she was promised, and get on a plane right back to Italy, even if she
were unable to afford a plane ticket the US & Italian governments would
have shipped her back to Italy.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 13:45:16 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "Don Martinich" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Well, it *is* a British tabloid...

> I think I read it also in the NYT. Very sketchy account. Didn't even say
> who the old woman was that she was being caregiver for.

It said. "The 105-year-old woman was the wife of Bastianich's handy
man Oscar Crespi."

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Tipping = slavery DaleW Wine 12 17-04-2011 01:45 PM
Tipping = slavery Martin Field[_2_] Wine 1 15-04-2011 06:06 PM
Tipping = slavery DaleW Wine 1 15-04-2011 02:38 PM
Slavery times... vatel General Cooking 5 02-04-2006 02:02 AM